Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Someone to the north of me must be getting a big show of some kind moment! I have sun in garden but looking out there some darkness up there, near Trim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Decent hail/graupel shower here currently turning the grass white.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Moderate snow in D24 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I find it unusual that where the bulk of the showers are showing, the temperatures in the greater Dublin region are all between 2c and 4c whereas the east Cork region is 0c to 2c or 3c.

Cork has a longer sea track and a milder sea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Small few flakes falling in north Kildare here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Supercell wrote: »
    Decent hail/graupel shower here currently turning the grass white.

Does Supercell have a location?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Biggest blob yet just about to arrive in Louth / Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

didn't stick but as I've seen over the years with these graupel showers, the wind whips them up again and they'll never settle with too severe of a wind.

Good stuff though! Tonight should be more interesting, If I hear right it'll be more unstable than right now, hence heavier and probably more proper showers will form? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Very very light graupel here in south side of Cork city about 30 mins ago. Stopped now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Never knew there were so many names for snow..flakes/graupel/snizzle/specks/sleet /powder/grains/flurries etc anybody have a good link pictures and text for the different types? Not sure which are technical or colloquial?..thanks

Anyhow love how everybody has different ways of describing what their seeing and feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Belting down in Saggart now.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Just had a quick light snow shower in D24. It left a dusting but it melted after 1 minute

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Looks to be staying cold for the next week then including this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Just had a quick light snow shower in D24. It left a dusting but it melted after 1 minute

Met office warning for Eastern parts here mentions snow below 200m will melt during daylight hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Very fine show falling 200m ASL west of Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

The best time to get these showers is in the evening.

Graupel is a fascinatingly robust foundation for snow later if it hangs around. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Very small snowflakes falling in celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The frequency of showers is increasing here in Dun Laoghaire. Still just graupel so far, but it's hopefully a good sign of what could come after sunset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

speckle wrote: »
    Never knew there were so many names for snow..flakes/graupel/snizzle/specks/sleet /powder/grains/flurries etc anybody have a good link pictures and text for the different types? Not sure which are technical or colloquial?..thanks

Anyhow love how everybody has different ways of describing what their seeing and feeling.

Flakes - proper snow
    Graupel - soft and usually round like somebody broke up Styrofoam
    Snizzle/Grains/powder/specs - extremely small flakes, like dust.
    Powder - can also describe proper snow with low water content, not often happens in Ireland
    Flurries - brief showers of light to moderate snow
    Sleet - flakes and rain mixed
    Wet snow - a first cousin of sleet, but more defined snow that can accumulate, but partially thaws on settling giving slushy white deposits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Hail stones falling in Louth at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Still no warning from Met Eireann. Hard to see any accumulations until they do. Perhaps this evening/tonight will have a yellow one.
    Yes, I made the same point this morning too. What puzzles me, though, is the fact that there is a weather warning for snow in Down, Armagh and Antrim so I am surprised that there isn't a similar one in place south of the border. Of course, they could have a warning this evening but I would have expected one by now - the heavier, more widespread showers are forecast to begin this evening and the point of a warning is surely to give advanced notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Mentions of significant snowfalls Thurs/Friday just now on rte 1 weather forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Does Supercell have a location?

Loughlinstown?

Proper burst of snizzle here near Arklow just now, it actually started to settle:D
    2.4/-3 2c
    Gusting 40kmh East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Thanks very much Danno makes it easier to visualise what people are talking about and easier for newer people here to the thread..

Reminds me of the time.. with a friend once who had never seen snow in 40 years, as they lived somewhere hot.. they came here for Christmas... woke them up in the middle of the night Xmas Eve to have a snowball fight ..they were like a kid squeling with delight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Met Eireann meteorologist commentary has been updated, expect warnings in coming days:

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/meteorologists-commentary

Shower risk:
    ECMWF-Forecast-snowfall-risk-Mon-Wed.png

Thursday into Friday:
    ECMWF-forecast-rain-sleet-and-snow-Thur-06-12UTC-768x879.png
    ECMWF-forecast-rain-sleet-and-snow-Thur-18-2359UTC-768x879.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A few grains of snow have made it this far west!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

A First Cousin of sleet - that made me laugh so hard. Classic!
    Danno wrote: »
    Flakes - proper snow
    Graupel - soft and usually round like somebody broke up Styrofoam
    Snizzle/Grains/powder/specs - extremely small flakes, like dust.
    Powder - can also describe proper snow with low water content, not often happens in Ireland
    Flurries - brief showers of light to moderate snow
    Sleet - flakes and rain mixed
    Wet snow - a first cousin of sleet, but more defined snow that can accumulate, but partially thaws on settling giving slushy white deposits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Wet snow is basically snow that instantly melts as soon as it hits the windscreen/window. Powder snow is the type of snow that breaks up once it hits your jacket, or when it hits the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Villain wrote: »
    The Met Eireann meteorologist commentary has been updated, expect warnings in coming days:

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/meteorologists-commentary

Shower risk:
    ECMWF-Forecast-snowfall-risk-Mon-Wed.png

Thursday into Friday:
    ECMWF-forecast-rain-sleet-and-snow-Thur-06-12UTC-768x879.png
    ECMWF-forecast-rain-sleet-and-snow-Thur-18-2359UTC-768x879.png
    If that front arrives and progresses slowly(as those charts suggest), we could be looking at an amber warning at least for many. I am reminding myself, though, that this is certainly not nailed on. The front could pass through more quickly than forecast and therefore turn readily to rain. Or it might stall somewhere to the South West and not reach us at all. While I'm very hopeful, it's still knife edge stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement