Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

looking at the precip radar Louth seems to be getting hit a bit at the moment, anyone confirm if this is snow or rain falling ?
    Pretty much a lack of either. Made a few calls there, all the reports from Drogheda are that there's nothing on the ground, and there's fine snow pellets in the wind almost consistently but you'd hardly notice it. Certainly no accumulations so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I was just looking at the animated NW radar at it looks to me that the IOM shadow theory is a myth, if it was true Co Louth wouldn't be getting the heaviest showers right now with a ENE wind.
    Look for yourselves and see that the showers are developing between the IOM and Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Very light snizzle here in Swords

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bio Mech wrote: »
    So basically you can’t read. Or troll for that matter

I don't think he's trolling, from what I read this morning the snow is set to turn to rain quite quickly on Thursday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Very little or none. You'd need to be north of Tipp and Kilkenny by the looks of things.

I would have agreed until this morning but the 0z GEM and the 6z GFS suggest maybe not. Now MET E themselves are saying it "may" turn back to rain in the south. The trend could be the south's friend here ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Very light snizzle here in Swords

And it's stopped .. well that was extremely short lived LOL !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A reasonable flurry now near Swords of grauple and small flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

In the south of the country. Midlands, east and north likely to get pasted
    Loughc wrote: »
    I don't think he's trolling, from what I read this morning the snow is set to turn to rain quite quickly on Thursday :(

Too many updates for me to follow.

Will one of you just pm me when it's nailed on that we're going to have a dramatic blizzard, thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

A heavier shower of graupel now after only tiny bits swirling in the wind all morning. South Cavan 164m

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Light Graupel in Waterford City, Temp 2.8c DP -0.7c

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Nothing in Offaly. No snow either.

Few flakes in Mullingar so sending them your way Humberto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Barely above 2c, with a -0c wet bulb temperature despite the sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was just looking at the animated NW radar at it looks to me that the IOM shadow theory is a myth, if it was true Co Louth wouldn't be getting the heaviest showers right now with a ENE wind.
    Look for yourselves and see that the showers are developing between the IOM and Louth.

Its not very distinct as the cells are faning out as they get closer to the coast but the Shadow is there alright aimed at Dundalk. Whats hitting Newry is the Streamers from the North side of the IOM and whats hitting Drogheda is the Streamers forming to the South of the IOM.

542532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

First decent snow shower Im Tullamore.
    A sign of things to come later hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Maxed at +3c here and currently +2.2c, wind is gradually increasing. Mostly overcast. No sign of any precip yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Duplotastic

Just back from a run in D16 and while it is fierce cold, it's not wet cold so it's actually pleasant enough.
    Smiling at Funsterdelux's description of dandruff falling. It's the same way here intermittently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

I am not trolling. I want as much snow as possible. Last the news was that there would be significant accumulations. It’s been continually downgraded since, to the point that Met Éireann are predicting rain and sleet (with some odd snow showers) for much of the week. That’s just fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A few more snow grains about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Loughc wrote: »

It may possibly turn to rain in the south west or it may not at all. Depends on how far and fast the front crosses the country. To say nothing but rain and sleet all week is wrong on current guidance.

My own belief is widespread snow of 5-10cm and up to 20-25cm in favoured spots that will be under the front the longest. (South-east , east , parts of midlands)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Would many of the North Sea streamers pick up intensity whilst coming over the Irish sea ?

Or would they be pretty much expired after traveling over land from East to the West of the UK ?

542533.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Where though are you referring to rain? What part of the country? Look at met Éireann website now and it clearly goes against what you are saying about it being rain and sleet for the week in Ireland. Also how could it already be snowing in places now?
    johnny45 wrote: »
    I am not trolling. I want as much snow as possible. Last the news was that there would be significant accumulations. It’s been continually downgraded since, to the point that Met Éireann are predicting rain and sleet (with some odd snow showers) for much of the week. That’s just fact

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

A genuine question, why was it forecast that shower activity might increase on the east coast as Monday continues and even more so on Tuesday?

If that happens what's driving the increase in precipitation rates?

I'm in wexford Town where its overcast 3 degrees and very light grauple all morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://en.sat24.com/HD/en/gb/visual

More bubbling up of cloud coming out of Liverpool/north Wales coast now, areas south of Dublin might see streamers later this afternoon...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

for MET.ie

NATIONAL OUTLOOK

Summary: Very cold with wintry showers out to midweek. More widespread falls of sleet and snow later in the week.

Tuesday night: Very cold tomorrow night with frost and icy stretches forming under long clear spells. Scattered showers of sleet and snow will become confined to the east and northeast, with largely dry conditions elsewhere. Lowest temperatures of -4 to 0 degrees in a light to moderate northeast breeze.

Wednesday: Wednesday will be another cold but rather bright day. It will remain dry in many areas but scattered wintry showers will continue to affect north Leinster and east Ulster. Frost and ice will linger through much of the day as afternoon temperatures reach just 1 to 3 degrees in a light to moderate easterly breeze.

Wednesday night: Isolated wintry showers in the east and northeast on Wednesday night but mainly dry elsewhere to start. However, a band of rain, sleet and snow will gradually push into the southwest overnight. Very cold again with lowest temperatures of -3 to +1 degrees, with widespread frost in moderate easterly winds.

Thursday: A very cold day on Thursday as rain, sleet and snow spread northeastwards across the country, with accumulations leading to hazardous conditions. Quite breezy also with fresh southeasterly winds. Afternoon temperatures of just 0 to 3 degrees generally.

Thursday night: Further falls of snow in Ulster and Leinster on Thursday night, with outbreaks of rain elsewhere. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +3 in fresh southeasterly winds.

Friday: There is some uncertainty in the exact details for Friday. Current indications suggest that sleet and snow will continue for a time in Ulster and north Leinster with outbreaks of rain elsewhere. Highest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees over Ulster, Leinster and north Connacht and 6 to 10 degrees elsewhere.

Further outlook: Less cold at the weekend with showers or spells of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It is not fact. Read the forecast and Meteorologists commentary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

light graupal here at Dunshaughlin. Hopefully the streamers get more intense later on, won't be any dustings with the current intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Intermittent light graupel with the odd heavier burst (Dalkey). Should be some decent localized accumulations by tomorrow morning if those shower trains persist/intensify (most likely north of Dublin). Pity that -30 line stays over Scotland/N. England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has upgraded to a very light shower now. I take this as a good sign for those further east later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    light graupal here at Dunshaughlin. Hopefully the streamers get more intense later on, won't be any dustings with the current intensity.

Temperatures will fall lower tonight than last night which will help. Should be at freezing or below for most.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement