Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Honestly I just care that it's sunny today. Missed the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just discovered snap chat has a map thing you can see videos by zooming into an area.

Not as much snow on the ground as I would have thought by now for east UK. Most I saw was probably 4/5 cm ..

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Honestly I just care that it's sunny today. Missed the sun.

Nice graupel shower in Dublin 15

johnny45 wrote: »
    I am not trolling. I want as much snow as possible. Last the news was that there would be significant accumulations. It’s been continually downgraded since, to the point that Met Éireann are predicting rain and sleet (with some odd snow showers) for much of the week. That’s just fact

Here’s what they say. (As of Monday 1pm)

Thursday: A very cold day on Thursday as rain, sleet and snow spread northeastwards across the country, with accumulations leading to hazardous conditions. Quite breezy also with fresh southeasterly winds. Afternoon temperatures of just 0 to 3 degrees generally.

Thursday night: Further falls of snow in Ulster and Leinster on Thursday night, with outbreaks of rain elsewhere. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +3 in fresh southeasterly winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

barney 20v wrote: »
    A genuine question, why was it forecast that shower activity might increase on the east coast as Monday continues and even more so on Tuesday?

If that happens what's driving the increase in precipitation rates?

I'm in wexford Town where its overcast 3 degrees and very light grauple all morning.

Basicially the parameters in the upper atmosphere become more conducive to an increase in shower activity and those showers starting to stick. There could be a nice covering by morning for some folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

johnny45 wrote: »
    I am not trolling. I want as much snow as possible. Last the news was that there would be significant accumulations. It’s been continually downgraded since, to the point that Met Éireann are predicting rain and sleet (with some odd snow showers) for much of the week. That’s just fact

Nothing is " fact" until it actually happens. That is the meaning of "forecast" and " predictions" .. Weather is mercurial and living and volatile. That is what makes it fascinating... . It cannot be pinned down like a butterfly. Wait and watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

Where though are you referring to rain? What part of the country? Look at met Éireann website now and it clearly goes against what you are saying about it being rain and sleet for the week in Ireland. Also how could it already be snowing in places now?

Fair enough. If refers to rain, sleet and snow. The snow today is very light. Maybe I’ve been let down with previous forecasts and am getting cynical in my old age. I really do hope for lots of snow for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Calibos wrote: »
    Its not very distinct as the cells are faning out as they get closer to the coast but the Shadow is there alright aimed at Dundalk. Whats hitting Newry is the Streamers from the North side of the IOM and whats hitting Drogheda is the Streamers forming to the South of the IOM.

*image snipped*

Aye the NW radars are gack this year for Ireland anyway. ME is more accurate and shows a more pronounced gap between the two streams, but less major inland as showers slow and fan out as you say. For some reason the position of precip on NW and also the MetO radars has been out by a fair bit this year, most notably in the few frontal events where the fronts 'arrived' in Dublin a good 2 hours before they did on ME.

Either ways, to call something that has been observed many times in the past a myth is quite a reach.

Over-dramatisised? For sure.

Doesn't exist? Alrighty then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

for MET.ie

NATIONAL OUTLOOK

Summary: Very cold with wintry showers out to midweek. More widespread falls of sleet and snow later in the week.

Tuesday night: Very cold tomorrow night with frost and icy stretches forming under long clear spells. Scattered showers of sleet and snow will become confined to the east and northeast, with largely dry conditions elsewhere. Lowest temperatures of -4 to 0 degrees in a light to moderate northeast breeze.

Wednesday: Wednesday will be another cold but rather bright day. It will remain dry in many areas but scattered wintry showers will continue to affect north Leinster and east Ulster. Frost and ice will linger through much of the day as afternoon temperatures reach just 1 to 3 degrees in a light to moderate easterly breeze.

Wednesday night: Isolated wintry showers in the east and northeast on Wednesday night but mainly dry elsewhere to start. However, a band of rain, sleet and snow will gradually push into the southwest overnight. Very cold again with lowest temperatures of -3 to +1 degrees, with widespread frost in moderate easterly winds.

Thursday: A very cold day on Thursday as rain, sleet and snow spread northeastwards across the country, with accumulations leading to hazardous conditions. Quite breezy also with fresh southeasterly winds. Afternoon temperatures of just 0 to 3 degrees generally.

Thursday night: Further falls of snow in Ulster and Leinster on Thursday night, with outbreaks of rain elsewhere. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +3 in fresh southeasterly winds.

Friday: There is some uncertainty in the exact details for Friday. Current indications suggest that sleet and snow will continue for a time in Ulster and north Leinster with outbreaks of rain elsewhere. Highest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees over Ulster, Leinster and north Connacht and 6 to 10 degrees elsewhere.

Further outlook: Less cold at the weekend with showers or spells of rain.

Zilch for the West... ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

John.Icy wrote: »
    Aye the NW radars are gack this year for Ireland anyway. ME is more accurate and shows a more pronounced gap between the two streams, but less major inland as showers slow and fan out as you say. For some reason the position of precip on NW and also the MetO radars has been out by a fair bit this year, most notably in the few frontal events where the fronts 'arrived' in Dublin a good 2 hours before they did on ME.

Either ways, to call something that has been observed many times in the past a myth is quite a reach.

Over-dramatisised? For sure.

Doesn't exist? Alrighty then.

I've a feeling that UKMO doesn't use Dublin's radar but does use Shannon's? Can anyone verify?

• Advertisement

Too many updates for me to follow.

Will one of you just pm me when it's nailed on that we're going to have a dramatic blizzard, thx

Do you have Snapchat? Go to maps and look at Norwich in the UK (just above London). There’s a snap of a doggy in snow drifts. I haven’t done so yet but I’ll follow the snaps west towards Ireland and say a little prayer for you lot.

I’m in Leitrim so expecting nowt but I love following a thread started by Kermit :D

Ps: I’ve just checked the Isle of Man and they have nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Heavy grapple / snow falling here in south east Cavan. Light covering here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A few grains of snow have made it this far west!

Was busy the last while, just spotted a few in the wind in Galway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Heavy Graupel fallen the past 15 mins in South Down, hoping to have enough for a Graupel Man soon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nothing is " fact" until it actually happens. That is the meaning of "forecast" and " predictions" .. Weather is mercurial and living and volatile. That is what makes it fascinating... . It cannot be pinned down like a butterfly. Wait and watch?

True . Here’s hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Couple of heavy sleet showers in the last 30mins here, Meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most of the action appears to be just north of Dunshaughlin, i've got some light hail showers that melt on impact. I think over time the showers will get going in the Irish sea a bit further south so hopefully South Meath and Dublin will get some decent showers later this evening and into tonight. Probably not going to see any sort of a dusting till the morning perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    most of the action appears to be just north of Dunshaughlin, i've got some light hail showers that melt on impact. I think over time the showers will get going in the Irish sea a bit further south so hopefully South Meath and Dublin will get some decent showers later this evening and into tonight. Probably not going to see any sort of a dusting till the morning perhaps.

Your'e not missing anything, while the showers are heavy, they are melting on impact

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Some showers shockingly forming in my vicinity!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Gonzo wrote: »

Just wondering are the current conditions wrong for proper snow, if the wet bulb temps or dew points are not right you get ice pellets instead of fluffy flakes ?

I've had Graupel from easterlies in the past in North Louth but in 2010/2018 we also had some very decent snow at times.
    Here's hoping the conditions improve as the week goes on.

• Advertisement

Signs of a bit of mid level instability from the clouds here near Arklow that are coming in off the Irish sea at the moment
    Surface wind is ENE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

Happy enough with the weather forecast at the end of the 1pm news there. Especially Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Decent forecast from Met Eireann there for the south and east. Snow showers becoming more frequent tonight and into tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Nice wee flurry here in D15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Teeny tiny little dots of white falling here , Portlaoise.
    And now it's stopped, I must be hallucinating :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Moderate to heavy graupel/snow for a little while here that turned to nice big snowflakes after i took the photo. The ground is not cold enough so it has since thawed.
    Temperature dropped from 2 to 0.6 in a few minutes. South cavan
    IMG-20210208-131742.jpg
    IMG-20210208-131722.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dm09 wrote: »
    Just wondering are the current conditions wrong for proper snow, if the wet bulb temps or dew points are not right you get ice pellets instead of fluffy flakes ?

I've had Graupel from easterlies in the past in North Louth but in 2010/2018 we also had some very decent snow at times.
    Here's hoping the conditions improve as the week goes on.

I think most of us will only have tomorrow to deliver in terms of streamers. Today looks like a continuation of light and scattered hail pellets not leading to any accumulations until maybe later tonight and by Wednesday the streamers will die out in many places as the wind shifts into the south-east. Many of us will be relying on the frontal event on Thursday and Friday but will it make it intact to the east I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Teeny tiny little dots of white falling here , Portlaoise.
    And now it's stopped, I must be hallucinating :pac:

I thought the same when I went out 10 mins ago... you know seeing things because your hoping so much....we are not likely to get any were we are...going to wait an hour and check again with glasses... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

speckle wrote: »
    I thought the same when I went out 10 mins ago... you know seeing things because your hoping so much....we are not likely to get any here...going to wait an hour and check again with glasses... :)

I honestly thought I was seeing things !
    Very light and sparse , but still , nice to keep the dream alive :)
    (I've my glasses on !)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement