Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭almostthere12

Jesus lads there are some on here that must be / have been a terror after going on a first date.......checking their phones every 2 minutes for that text, will she text, won't she text, why hasn't she texted me, the signs were good......then the text comes and you go on the second date and it starts all over again or else you come back deflated.......she's no Emma!!!!

Chill lads, it's coming to an east coast near you!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

You will do well tonight Gonzo. You'll have a covering by morning.

hopefully! at this stage i'd be happy with 3cm to 5cm. The wales shadow will probably start to make it's impact by tomorrow evening so this window of opportunity is very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

sicknotexi wrote: »
    A bit more shower activity shown up on Met Eireann radar in the last half hour.

Looks like they are heading for Dublin / North Wicklow if they make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temperatures here today:

High Temperature 3.3 °C 14:11:46
    Low Temperature 2.6 °C 02:43:49

Wind too strong for any of the showers to stay around long, or settle at all for that matter, hopefully the cold with deepen.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Gonzo wrote: »
    very disappointing here today, no better than yesterday in reality, a few random grains blowing around in the wind. If tomorrow ends up being not much better than today or yesterday then this easterly will be pretty much a bust. The models are predicting little to no snow cover until Thursday.

Even if there is very little snow for most from this event we do at least have very cold temperatures at present which is a change from the more usual mild murky Atlantic stuff we get at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very light snow on and off here in south Laois since around 3pm, a few mammatus clouds spotted too!

I'm really liking the line of those showers off the north Welsh coast, looks like they're bound for my part of the country this evening!

Currently +2.1c with a dewpoint of -2.2c in a brisk ENE'ly 15mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ICON has the Thursday event a primarily south and south east coast event. Front doesn't have much energy once it reaches the east coast. Let's see how it stacks up against the three big models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hence why it`s particularly important that they be kept fed in these cold wintry conditions.

You beat me to it! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Heavy shower now but not big flakes! D.24

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

It will be interesting to see if any convection starts from Holyhead Southwards along the coast of Wales. Zero thus far today. I know conditions later this evening will be more favourable so we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think these showers are going to pep up in the next few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

Another area of of snow has formed north of Anglesey but this time a bit further north than the area heading for south Dublin so this second area will most likely hit north Dublin, hopefully keeping all the Dubs happy :D

At the moment, the Northside bound snow looks to be both a larger area and heavier.

Easy enough in the back garden, but wildlife generally live in the wild.

But they come in nearer human habitation in severe weather. So it is good to put extra out in severe weather. A great kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Sitting outside in the sun. Kind of hard to see screen but I think gfs takes snow further North than previous run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Out for a very cold walk in West Clare and to my immense surprise there is grauple/snow pellets falling lightly.

Oh ye of little faith! Clare will have its day in the sun snow yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Any ideas where someone could pick up bird feeders and bird food / nuts in the centre of Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Any ideas where someone could pick up bird feeders and bird food / nuts in the centre of Dublin?

Dealz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

highdef wrote: »
    Another area of of snow has formed north of Anglesey but this time a bit further north than the area heading for south Dublin so this second area will most likely hit north Dublin, hopefully keeping all the Dubs happy :D

At the moment, the Northside bound snow looks to be both a larger area and heavier.

Smaller patch of precipitation but similar intensity to what hit Drogheda a few hours ago....and we all remember the reports of heavy sticking snow/graupel we got from all the Drogheda folks earlier don’t we...... :rolleyes: ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Noticeably heavier grapuel now for the last 20 mins or so in Shankill D18. Wind is blowing it into little accumulations here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

pad199207 wrote: »
    Dewpoint of -6°c and an ENE wind at Casement

Yeah its 2c with a DP of -6c at Dublin airport but its only 1c but with a DP of only -1c at Cork airport.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Supercell wrote: »
    Temperatures here today:

High Temperature 3.3 °C 14:11:46
    Low Temperature 2.6 °C 02:43:49

Wind too strong for any of the showers to stay around long, or settle at all for that matter, hopefully the cold with deepen.

Low of 1.6c here last night and high of 3.5c today. Serious stuff.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Light graupel flurries, occasional moderate bursts with the pellets swirling in the wind. I reckon there will be some areas thay could do reasonably well out of the next 48 hrs, just need a decent feed of moderate ppn to set up shop. Its a real pity, if we had had the same parameters that the UKs east coast will have tonight/tomorrow we would have been looking at an event to remember.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Some of this would be cool and another snow type to add to the list

https://gfycat.com/gracioussanefinnishspitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

LFCFan wrote: »
    Some of this would be cool and another snow type to add to the list

https://gfycat.com/gracioussanefinnishspitz

Chernobyl Snow?
    :eek:

It has gone suddenly very dark out here. The wind has dropped too. And clouds are heavier. We shall see. .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Danno wrote: »
    Chernobyl Snow?
    :eek:

Sahara effect snow :D

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Low of 1.6c here last night and high of 3.5c today. Serious stuff.

I have no means of measuring .. it would be interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

user generated gifs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

there seems to be a heavier shower north of Anglesey at the moment, hopefully it has my name on it but I'd be happy for anyone to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

user generated gifs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement