Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Dundee Scotland 08/02/21
    ZJE0u2O.jpg

EhF52wM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Calibos wrote: »
    Smaller patch of precipitation but similar intensity to what hit Drogheda a few hours ago....and we all remember the reports of heavy sticking snow/graupel we got from all the Drogheda folks earlier don’t we...... :rolleyes: ;);)
    Yeah, total non event there so far :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

speckle wrote: »
    Never knew there were so many names for snow..flakes/graupel/snizzle/specks/sleet /powder/grains/flurries etc anybody have a good link pictures and text for the different types? Not sure which are technical or colloquial?..thanks

Anyhow love how everybody has different ways of describing what their seeing and feeling.

Weathercheck has been on the Twitter machine answering your question:

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1358803657354002435

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

m17 wrote: »
    Dundee Scotland 08/02/21

Nice pictures but I'm not seeing any great amounts there.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Dundee Scotland 08/02/21

Nice pictures but I'm not seeing any great amounts there.

Better than what we have here! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just goes to show that even Dundee in Scotland where the most intense North Sea Streamers are hitting since yesterday.....still has less on the ground than Coastal Dublin and Bray got in the 2 hour Ninja Northerly Streamer that drifted onshore back in January. We got 5cm out of that here in Bray.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Danno wrote: »
    Weathercheck has been on the Twitter machine answering your question:

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1358803657354002435

If they don't know what graupel is, I'd suggest they may not be keen weather watchers! :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Irish Sea definitely getting its act together a little better now.

Been in my vocabulary since 2010 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Theresa Mannion weather travel advice ad on the radio, it's getting real!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Calibos wrote: »
    Just goes to show that even Dundee in Scotland where the most intense North Sea Streamers are hitting since yesterday.....still has less on the ground than Coastal Dublin and Bray got in the 2 hour Ninja Northerly Streamer that drifted onshore back in January. We got 5cm out of that here in Bray.

Not so sure about that. This webcam is for a golf club sticking out into Dundee bay

https://www.scotscraiggolfclub.com/course-guide/webcam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

froog wrote: »
    Theresa Mannion weather travel advice ad on the radio, it's getting real!

Don't make unnecessary journeys! Oh.....wait

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Irish Sea definitely getting its act together a little better now.

Showers are happily exiting the west coast of the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Not so sure about that. This webcam is for a golf club sticking out into Dundee bay

Looks a lot more than it is... 2 or 3 cm at best

Showers are happily exiting the west coast of the uk

Happy to be heading back to the EU? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

This mid Irish sea blobs are looking attractive

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Looks a lot more than it is... 2 or 3 cm at best

This is a windy event. In exposed areas it will not sit long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Longing

Rslp19470120.gif

Rslp19470121.gif

Very similar in many aspects. Uncanny if you ask me. We live and hope. Saturday looks more interesting than the Thursday event.

12_147_mslp500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I kind of would have expected more than that in Scotland. Being completely honest, we had more than that in D5 a couple of weeks ago. I am sure the scottish highlands on the other hand is a very different story !
    Dundee Scotland 08/02/21
    ZJE0u2O.jpg

EhF52wM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/national-forecast
    A bit of a change in the Meteireann forecast. Previously, showers had been forecast for the Eastern half of the country. The latest forecast limits most of the showers to the East, North East and North Midlands. Bad news for those of us in the South East.
    As for later in the week, I can't remember this morning's forecast exactly, but I am fairly sure that it was quite a bit more vague about when/whether the snow would turn to rain. Now, they seem to be fairly clear that the snow will turn to rain for Munster and Connacht by Thursday evening at the latest. Of course, there is still a lot of variation between the models, so that situation could easily change. However, for now, Meteireann is going for quite mild conditions on Friday for Munster and South Leinster.

• Advertisement

Don't think that contradicts what I said. Look at the top of the walls, along the bottom of the walls and the grass blades still visible through a lot of the snow. Its only starting to approach how the ground and grass looked in Bray after 2 hours of a ninja streamer.... but thats after 36 hours of streamers from the North Sea. Either the intensity isn't up to much more in Scotland than it is here or Dundee has managed to slip between most of their Streamers.

Overall point is, I’m not overly jealous of the UK atm, they seem to be having an underwhelming ‘event’ so far too and despite the fact that their radar returns look much more impressive they dont have a huge amount to show for it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

I kind of would have expected more than that in Scotland. Being completely honest, we had more than that in D5 a couple of weeks ago. I am sure the scottish highlands on the other hand is a very different story !

Well it's more than we have here right now that's for sure. Plus the snow two weeks ago barely stuck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

TyVD8Qb.png

Incoming...

garyha wrote: »
    TyVD8Qb.png

Incoming...

All IMBY (....hopefully)! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

If that chart above hits Dublin, what time would you reckon?

Its a disgrace Joe!

compsys wrote: »
    Well it's more than we have here right now that's for sure. Plus the snow two weeks ago barely stuck around.

If it snowed Tiesday morning it only thawed on Thursday evening in Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A few flakes fell here in SW Donegal just now, quite the journey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snow has arrived in meath, sleet showers on and off all day until now

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Is all that precipitation over Meath/Louth still light graupel? It seems to be pretty persistent stuff, so is it sticking there or is it meaningless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

TTLF wrote: »
    Is all that precipitation over Meath/Louth still light graupel? It seems to be pretty persistent stuff, so is it sticking there or is it meaningless?

It was nothing to be honest, it was light and melted on impact, but its turning to snow now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement