Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

So far, to use the coin method of measuring snow depth, turn the coin flat and use its thickness (2.3 mm) as a reference!

Good guide below. And an important point "It is not a good practice to measure the snow directly in the grass as the snow amount will be inflated by the blades of grass."

https://www.weather.gov/jkl/snow_measurement

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Gonzo wrote: »
    and i'm back under the IOM shadow. Lots of hail/snow showers 5 miles to my north and the Irish sea looking rather empty to my east. The shower train seems to be tracking further north as well looking at the radar on netweather.

Would that be North Wicklow perchance? Hasn't been a whiff in Ashford all day thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Beefy shower off malin and a small one across Inishowen. If you live in this area don't be surprised to get a covering even though you're not included in the warning.

and i'm back under the IOM shadow. Lots of hail/snow showers 5 miles to my north and the Irish sea looking rather empty to my east. The shower train seems to be tracking further north as well looking at the radar on netweather.

edit: a shower has just appeared out of nowhere near the Meath coastline between Donabate and Balbriggan which may get to here.

From the live reporting on virgin media news outside the HSE in Baggott St,its Graupel falling
    You're not missing much if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Thread updated to reflect the yellow warning for snow and ice:

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow, Meath and Monaghan
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Snow accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in places.

Valid: 18:00 Monday 08/02/2021 to 18:00 Tuesday 09/02/2021

Issued: 16:00 Monday 08/02/2021

https://www.met.ie/warnings/today
    I take it that the rest of the country can kiss goodbye to the chance of seeing snow, at least until Wednesday night/Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Promising looking clouds in Swords.... Keeping my fingers crossed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I take it that the rest of the country can kiss goodbye to the chance of seeing snow, at least until Wednesday night/Thursday?

Pretty much. The odd stray shower will drift across but looks like nothing for the rest of us till Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

edit: a shower has just appeared out of nowhere near the Meath coastline between Donabate and Balbriggan which may get to here.

Don't think the IOM is anything to do with that clearance, just bad luck.

All that precip. out to sea is moving markedly more direct West than even 20 minutes ago. Making a beeline for your region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Decent stream of showers primed for the Dublin region, they aren't going to bring a whiteout but a mix of graupel and snow is likely and hopefully they will perk up as the night progresses to give some a covering by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

its snowing well here but im guessing we shouldn't expect it to accumulate? just seems to light and blows around in the wind... :confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Flow doesn't look to promising for me (Dalkey), same old spits of graupel here and there. Met eireann's warning sounds spot on though, maybe a few lucky spots could get more than 5cm

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Some people wonder why some of us get excited about the prospect of snow. For me it's because it's so rare, very difficult to get all the weather gods to align and give us perfect snow conditions. For me it breaks my snow loving heart to either have the precipitation and not the temperatures or we have the correct temperatures and conditions but no precipitation..but on the rare occasions when it all comes together.. Joy!!!

I see lots of disappearing showers on there as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

So this is what the "beast" has degenerated to: a yellow for a small sprinkling of counties. Ireland you underwhelm me yet again. Onward to summer and looking forward to a rare dry day above 20 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'd shelve my usual jealousy to see pics of anywhere in the country getting proper snow soon. Would at least tell us it was possible from this spell.....

So this is what the "beast" has degenerated to: a yellow for a small sprinkling of counties. Ireland you underwhelm me yet again. Onward to summer and looking forward to a rare dry day above 20 degrees.

This bit wasn’t the beast, which was never on for early week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It stuck around for 3-4 days in fairness
    compsys wrote: »
    Well it's more than we have here right now that's for sure. Plus the snow two weeks ago barely stuck around.

Road , surface temperatures are largely dominated by insolation and have a much greater diurnal range at this time of the year than they did a mere month ago. They won't be below zero until around 7pm and will come back above zero around 10am unless its snowing heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Never was supposed to be the beast. Met.ie only ever gave an advisory for cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I endorse this message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like incoming for north Dublin soon - more so up toward Portmarnock, Swords, Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

same as Gonzo.. Im near Trim here and we are either under or over the showers, see them all around in the clouds but just not here......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A Beast has never been forecasted, certainly by nobody here on boards. Too many people believe that this is a beast because the media/rag papers and some weather channels keep referring to this as a beast which is nothing more than clickbate and social media promotion. This is a spell of cold and wintry weather with showers mainly for Leinster and parts of the north midlands. Many parts of the country will stay cold, dry and possibly frosty between now and Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I endorse this message.

There should be a separate thread "Disappointed in the cold spell. Axe to grind? Vent here."

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Looks like incoming for north Dublin soon - more so up toward Portmarnock, Swords, Malahide

Bit heavier now in Rush, roof of car white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A cold day in kerry, I shall look on with delight at the lack of white stuff in the Kingdom

The Drizzle from the Shnizzle...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Rathcoole Co. Dublin , heavy Graupel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

All quiet in Portmarnock.. I'll look out for it!

• Advertisement

Think it has Santry written all over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement