Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dusting now again in Kildare eve thing covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

Snowbie wrote: »
    Moderate snow and settling well too.

Temp still falling 0.9C
    Dp -1.1C

Where is your location roughly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Good advice here on how to measure snow depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJ1WeuWcdM

Get out there and get reporting.

New Moon

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    We are not Portugal the South of Spain!

:confused:

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm in Carrick on Shannon, can I have snow pics please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Still not seeing a single photo of proper snow lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hail in D3... collected some of it on my hand and it's now in my drink :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Bit heavier in Trim now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    It is not rare.... Far from it in some places.... It is just not common... We are not Portugal the South of Spain!

Rare /not common mean the same thing! We can easily go years without significant snow for large parts of the country. Even if we get it, it usually is fleeting and last no more than a few days.

Dazler97 wrote: »
    I'm in Carrick on Shannon, can I have snow pics please

i00GZxi.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Does anyone else agree that this is probably the biggest let down weather wise in years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Still not seeing a single photo of proper snow lads!

Yes, getting suspicious now... POIDH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Went my whole life without ever hearing the word graupel, only to see it 5 times in a row on the last page of this thread. I'm choosing to believe it means an albino otter.

Yup. That's why they say it's snowing seals and otters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Does anyone else agree that this is probably the biggest let down weather wise in years?

Only if you believed the hype.
    Im surprised there's anything.
    The big snow will be Thursday.

Patience grasshopper. I'll be happy to see some snow in the air and a decent covering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

kent

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Nope. Expectations weren’t high. Roof of car is already white with graupel . I’m happy out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nope, summer 2020 was more of a letdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Grauple interspersed with periods of snow here. That's the quickest way to a covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Possibly the GOAT :pac:

It’s grand so far. Day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    i00GZxi.png

Feck off if only

Proper snow, Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It's probably going to be a let down in terms of what could have been with the depth of cold that headed our way for sure. Not everyday you get such deep cold headed our way. Unfortunately the 850s were pretty much the only ingredient the weather gods added to the bowl :pac:. Although frontal events on Thursday could rescue things.

But it's not like this exact scenario hasn't been flagged daily since last week by the likes of Gaoth L. He's one of the wisest folk on here, often ignored because he doesn't always bring good news, but he has called this one incredibly well thus far.

So if you're let down, then it's on you really. Or anyone for that matter that is disappointed today and had dizzy expectations. We were warned. If we do get some spots with 2-5cm overnight then it'll be something at least. 5cm would be grand tbh and fairly good for pretty much most areas. Tonight & Tuesday was the forecast peak either way so let's see where we end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Past your bedtime fraxinus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It’s grand so far. Day 1.

Hopefully you're right! But at least the drying has been beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Mimon wrote: »
    Rare /not common mean the same thing! We can easily go years without significant snow for large parts of the country. Even if we get it, it usually is fleeting and last no more than a few days.

Rare and not common is not the same thing...

The Dublin Mountains/Wicklow get sizeable falls of snow every winter which can remain on the ground for long periods of time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Grauple interspersed with periods of snow here. That's the quickest way to a covering.

Was trying to remember that word grauple

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

kittyn wrote: »
    Why wouldn’t you post your video with your thoughts on how you see this week panning out?

It’s just an explanation as to why there is very little snow (here).

https://youtu.be/oKSmfQ2bWXE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement