Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd piles of red dust appearing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

lardarse wrote: »
    looks like chipboard dust from the piece of furniture you just moved. Is it just in that corner? If you rub your fingers down the rough edges of that furniture do you get dust from it, or is it wet? Maybe move it away from the wall or move it somewhere else and see if the dust moves or stays.

I think lardarse could be right. Hoover under the rim at the back of the chipboard furniture and see what happens after a few weeks. Move it to another part of the room and see if the dust follows it. If the dust moves then you have found your culprit. Cheaper than ripping of skirting boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Clean it up. Leave the light on and set-up a live-stream webcam. We can watch it in shifts - sure we've feck all else to be doing nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Could it be that there was insulated plasterboard fitted to the walls, like 75mm+ insulation, and when the guy was doing to flooring he just swept all the dust from cutting the laminate boards in under the insulated plasterboard before refitting the skirting, would somebody be lazy enough to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Couldn't be this lad could it....

https://images.app.goo.gl/qyxvZMwUrUWfe3Ks7

Could well be draught, opening doors or the bad wind we had where it's pushed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

OP, it might be sprayed insulation coming out. It might be under the floor or in cavities in walls. Something like this:

https://www.thespruce.com/cellulose-insulation-basics-1821904

I once had a wasp nest in the wall. Another time a bird nest and the small bird died and hundreds flies appeared suddenly in my bedroom. It was all in cavities in the wall.

You can open a box for an electric meter and check what insulation is in wall cavities. It should be visible there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

One thing we know for sure is that is must be very light or it wouldn't end up on the top of the skirting board.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

100% timber dust. Must be coming in from under the skirting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

FutureGuy wrote: »
    No, definitely not from ceiling or from above. Just updated.

We replaced all doors, skirting etc in our house and put down Almost identical floors to those, and in my view, what you’re finding is sawdust from both.

If the wood was cut inside, the sawdust goes everywhere and if there was a few deposits not cleaned up, it’ll get blown around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

People have done insurance for less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Idioteque wrote: »
    Clean it up. Leave the light on and set-up a live-stream webcam. We can wWatch it in shifts - sure we've feck all else to be doing nowadays.

What's sad is I though of that yesterday and was hugely excited by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I noticed evidence of woodworm activity in my attic while having downlighters fitted in December. It was mostly in the ceiling joists and on some cross stays, not much on the rafters. It was widespread however. I got a Dublin based company to assess and carry out treatment. I had to remove all the fibre glass insulation, an awful job. I am not confident that the treatment was a thorough job however.
    Two chaps arrived, one mixed the solution in 25l drums and tended the pump. The second young chap sprayed the attic timbers.
    My first concern is the ratio of the spray solution used. The label on the container I found left behind, Lignum pro D156 says 1: 24 prevention and 2:24 curative. This was mixed 1:24.
    My other concern is the time the young guy spent in the attic, just over one hour. No check was carried out afterwards.
    I now need to reinsulate the attic but fear the issue may not be resolved after this considerable cost, especially what's under the insulation.
    The company says all is well, ratios are correct and will forward my a guarantee. Don't know what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

sparksfly wrote: »
    I noticed evidence of woodworm activity in my attic while having downlighters fitted in December. It was mostly in the ceiling joists and on some cross stays, not much on the rafters. It was widespread however. I got a Dublin based company to assess and carry out treatment. I had to remove all the fibre glass insulation, an awful job. I am not confident that the treatment was a thorough job however.
    Two chaps arrived, one mixed the solution in 25l drums and tended the pump. The second young chap sprayed the attic timbers.
    My first concern is the ratio of the spray solution used. The label on the container I found left behind, Lignum pro D156 says 1: 24 prevention and 2:24 curative. This was mixed 1:24.
    My other concern is the time the young guy spent in the attic, just over one hour. No check was carried out afterwards.
    I now need to reinsulate the attic but fear the issue may not be resolved after this considerable cost, especially what's under the insulation.
    The company says all is well, ratios are correct and will forward my a guarantee. Don't know what to do next.

The reason they sprayed the mix for prevention is the woodworm holes indicate that the larvae has hatched already.
    So in spraying for prevention they are stopping the spread of the infection.
    Spraying it at curative rate would kill any exciting larvae but the reality is the damage is already done by them.
    Preventive spraying would be more beneficial in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

sparksfly wrote: »

You have the label so contact the manufacturer, give then an idea of the size of the roof space and ask them if they think that treatment would be adequate.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Thanks to both of you for your very helpful responses. My mind is more at ease.

Advertisement