Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for a UK company 2-days a week remotely from home in Ireland

Options
  • 01-02-2021 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have been working in the UK for 10 years. I am Irish born and bred.

My company is offering remote working 2-days a week and I plan to work from home in Dublin for the 2-days a week, and I will work in the UK office 3-days a week.

My work has no Irish nexus. I will not have any dealings with Irish entities while working in Ireland. The business is in the UK and deals with other countries (not including Ireland).

I want to make this as easy as possible for my UK employer.

I have two questions:
    1) Is there a way of avoiding the UK employer having PAYE obligations in Ireland? i.e. can they continue to pay HMRC and then I just fill out self assessment annually to the Irish revenue? Or will they have to pay into the Irish PAYE system.

2) How can I be sure that there won't be a question of Permanent Establishment for my UK employer ?

I would like to hear views on these questions, I also know that ultimately proper professional advice will have to be sought.

any recommendations for an accountant who knows these UK / Ireland issues well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Sea point wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have been working in the UK for 10 years. I am Irish born and bred.

My company is offering remote working 2-days a week and I plan to work from home in Dublin for the 2-days a week, and I will work in the UK office 3-days a week.

My work has no Irish nexus. I will not have any dealings with Irish entities while working in Ireland. The business is in the UK and deals with other countries (not including Ireland).

I want to make this as easy as possible for my UK employer.

I have two questions:
    1) Is there a way of avoiding the UK employer having PAYE obligations in Ireland? i.e. can they continue to pay HMRC and then I just fill out self assessment annually to the Irish revenue? Or will they have to pay into the Irish PAYE system.

2) How can I be sure that there won't be a question of Permanent Establishment for my UK employer ?

I would like to hear views on these questions, I also know that ultimately proper professional advice will have to be sought.

any recommendations for an accountant who knows these UK / Ireland issues well?

Tricky area. Law is that anyone working here - even an hour a week- their employer is liable for their tax on Irish earnings. And revenue have been very hot on this. I’m aware of one individual who came into Ireland for one afternoon a week and the revenue clamped down.

This all raised its head during Covid. Some big employers wouldn’t allow their employees relocate to Ireland during the pandemic becuse of employer exposure. But revenue backed off on enforcing it strictly.

Advertisement