Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The only thing I really care about with this game from here on is just that Ben Chilwell does not come on. I've James Justin sitting on my FF bench with 15 points just begging to come in! I'm in a draft league as well, same situation except with Pereira to come in with 6 points.

<edit>
    Brilliant. Kante on for Kovacic, and all Chelsea's subs used up. Tommy T, you're a beaut.

One more to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One more to make.

Christensen, Pulisic, and Kante have all come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Who of the main starters do you see as needing to be shipped out for a big rebuild? The age profile is pretty excellent, as long as all those injured come back into contention. I think it'll be more fringe roles that get filled in rather than starters.

Think we'll see a new starting CB alright, and a new backup midfielder or two with Gini and perhaps Ox and Milner leaving. Could see Grujic coming back to take one of those spots, and then bringing in a young talent as well. Otherwise, depending on how Minamino does with Southampton, maybe a young forward to come in as 5th choice in place of Origi.

I could be wrong but i dont think Salah is fully commited there, i know most pool fans will laugh at that but i dont think he is. Bobby is definitly not the same player he was two years ago they have jota who came in and done well but there is a big difference in starting well at a new club and been the man everyone looks too.

In midfield milner is nearly done, ox is just about done and Gini will be gone.

Defence they need at least one top class cb if not two and I think someone to put pressure on Trent also.

Then off the top of my head there are a few importamt players hitting the 30 mark in the next couple years or have done recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Did Bale knock down Jose’s dog or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There's lots of reasons to knock Jose not playing Bale is not one of them. He walks around doing zero 90% of the time he gets on. I'm not even sure he can sprint anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Didnt do a tap after starting vs Brighton, they'd be better putting Hart on up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Poor game, that. Desperately low on quality. Not that Chelsea fans will care. And why should they? Spurs fans, on the other hand, should be concerned. They were bang average tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blueser wrote: »
    Poor game, that. Desperately low on quality. Not that Chelsea fans will care. And why should they? Spurs fans, on the other hand, should be concerned. They were bang average tonight.

And yet they're only three points behind Chelsea with a game in hand.

It's a strange season because everyone is a bit inconsistent and even losing two or three on the bounce doesn't mean you are miles off.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i dont think Salah is fully commited there, i know most pool fans will laugh at that but i dont think he is. Bobby is definitly not the same player he was two years ago they have jota who came in and done well but there is a big difference in starting well at a new club and been the man everyone looks too.

Would firmly disagree on Salah anyway, and actually think he's the most likely of the 3 to stay longer term. He's made it very clear he wants to stay - but he's also obviously angling for a deserved improved contract. No problem with that. Bobby's fine when you take Jota into consideration. The most likely to move I think is Mane, but probably not for another year. Origi as 5th choice will likely leave, so could see a punt on a prospective 19 or 20 year old.
    In midfield milner is nearly done, ox is just about done and Gini will be gone.

Yup, I mentioned those three, but none of those mean a big money starter signed. As I said, probably Grujic and a new young longer term player, along with Jones getting more time. So could only see CM being a low money buy. Would leave ya with Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Keita, Jones, Grujic, NEW. If the right option becomes available, they may strike - like Aouar - but it's not one that needs a new starter level chap right now.
    Defence they need at least one top class cb if not two and I think someone to put pressure on Trent also.

Then off the top of my head there are a few importamt players hitting the 30 mark in the next couple years or have done recently.

I think the one big money signing we'll make is a new CB. Can't see more than that... otherwise, as you say, maybe a low cost right back backup with Neco heading out on loan to get experience.

So in terms of a rebuild, it actually just looks like one starter. Which isn't much of a rebuild.

Some of those backup roles are important, but doubtful any for more than 10 or 15m, which will likely be covered by the lads they're replacing - with the possible exception of a CM if a great option pops up.

Feels like a fairly normal summer of transfers really. You're right that a rebuild is coming, but given the economy and lack of gate receipts, it can easily be something to focus on for a year down the road, with a few punts on young backup players to see if they could come good longer term.

The one dark horse is if Mane goes alright, but would take a biiiig offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

TitianGerm wrote: »
    And yet they're only three points behind Chelsea with a game in hand.

It's a strange season because everyone is a bit inconsistent and even losing two or three on the bounce doesn't mean you are miles off.
    Very true. But Spurs looked totally out of ideas out there. No spark about them. Can that be explained solely by Kane's absence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Bale doesnt care about football anymore, zidane was dead right to want rid of him in spain

blueser wrote: »
    Very true. But Spurs looked totally out of ideas out there. No spark about them. Can that be explained solely by Kane's absence?

I'd imagine there's a bit of tension behind the scenes and everything isn't rosey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd imagine there's a bit of tension behind the scenes and everything isn't rosey.

That would be a shock! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 22 Highlights
    Sheff Utd V WBA

Wolves V Arsenal

Man Utd V Southampton

Newcastle V Palace

Burnley V Man City

Fulham V Leicester

Leeds V Everton

Villa V West Ham

Liverpool V Brighton

Spurs V Chelsea

(Games Played & Max Points) - Last full mid week game week until may

47 Man City (21 & 98)
    44 Man Utd (22 & 92)
    42 Leicester (22 & 90)
    40 Liverpool (22 & 88)
    38 West Ham (22 & 86)
    36 Chelsea (22 & 84) Everton (20 & 90)
    33 Spurs (21 & 84)
    32 Villa (20 & 86)
    31 Arsenal (22 & 79)
    29 Leeds (21 & 83) Southampton (21 & 80) Palace (22 & 77)
    26 Wolves (22 & 74)
    24 Brighton (22 & 72)
    22 Newcastle (22 & 70) Burnley (21 & 73)
    14 Fulham (21 & 65)
    12 WBA (22 & 60)
    11 Sheff Utd (22 & 59)

• Advertisement

Looking at that table, I could see City breaking 90 points, with no-one else breaking 80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Another Mourinho Masterclass™ tonight I see

Son looks completely lost without Kane

Hard to believe a team could be so reliant on one player

El Sueño wrote: »
    Another Mourinho Masterclass™ tonight I see

Son looks completely lost without Kane

Hard to believe a team could be so reliant on one player

Tactics were awful in the first half. He is finished as a top level coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Mourinho needs to win 8 of his next 10 games to equal Villas-Boas win percentage after 80 games. I can't see him surpassing Pochettino's or Villas-Boas' win percentage when he inevitably gets sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Jose's so consistently bad I have to wonder does he do this now on purpose for the pay off.
    He might be able to execute this scheme at Spurs without venturing totally into la la land like he did at Utd and Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Mourinho tried mind games before the game last night and they backfired. The guy is washed up at this stage. Poor old Spurs still suffering under the illusion they're a big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Looking at that table, I could see City breaking 90 points, with no-one else breaking 80.

I think likewise, there're back in that zone of 2 years ago...its very hard see anyone take points off them between now and the end of year. I don't think they will be beating anyway. Liverpool winning at Spurs and West Ham last week sandwiched between home losses to Burnley and Brighton is pretty much a sign of how inconsistent the best of the rest are. Utd losing at home to Sheffield United is another example....Those teams will have a few more of those results in them before the end of the season. Its a bit of a shame, at Christmas is looked like a genuine proper title race between 3 or 4 teams and maybe 75 to 80 points been good enough to win it. A bit like a few years ago. To their credit City have set an unbelievable standard over the a past 4 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I actually want Spurs to do well and its only for one reason Kane,

If they finish outside of the Champions league places thats it Kane will jump ship

Thoughts of him at United or City is freighting

If they finish outside of the Champions league places thats it Kane will jump ship

to be honest, i think he will stay there for the rest of his career, if he was really ambitious he would have left years ago. is getting more injuries now and i cant see any club going to levy to try and sign him considering what levy would be looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Problem with Kane now is his injury record is not looking fantastic to potential buyers, considering those buyers will have to spend the guts of 150million on him!! Its 3 seasons in a row where he has had ankle injuries and issues and that is not going to improve as time goes on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bangkok wrote: »
    to be honest, i think he will stay there for the rest of his career, if he was really ambitious he would have left years ago. is getting more injuries now and i cant see any club going to levy to try and sign him considering what levy would be looking for

I always thought if Ferguson was still at United, he would of signed him already. He's still only 27, he won't waste much longer at Spurs.

His lowest amount of league goals in one season is 17 league goals in the last 7 season's ,
    No matter how many injuries he has got he gets goals

17 league goals in a injury hit poor season , Some striker can only dream of 17 in a great season ,

United fans are loving Cavani , Kane is a better younger version

For City he would be the perfect replacement for Sergio

rob316 wrote: »
    I always thought if Ferguson was still at United, he would of signed him already. He's still only 27, he won't waste much longer at Spurs.

premier league has changed since fergie left, the "smaller" clubs all now have money so no real pressure to sell, but yes for sure, he would have been a typical fergie signing, he has wasted his career at spurs imo but then again if he is happy and his family is happy and he is sorted for life then fair play to him

His lowest amount of league goals in one season is 17 league goals in the last 7 season's ,

17 league goals in a injury hit poor season , Some striker can only dream of 17 in a great season ,

yea but cavani was free, realistically if you were to try and sign kane this summer, they would be looking for 100m plus, just cant see any club paying that

City are going to try for Messi in the summer. Wouldn't be surprised if they go for Haaland as well.

• Advertisement

Funny you say that

The other day I was admiring Canvani (iv always loved him as a player) and as a Liverpool fan the only bit of comfort I can take from seeing him at United is that he was the type of player they used to get In there prime not at 33 ,

Kane would be massive for United ,

City are going to try for Messi in the summer. Wouldn't be surprised if they go for Haaland as well.

considering messi's leaked contract the other day, under FFP there is no way imo city could afford him, but then again FFP is a joke so they will probably get some way around it if they really want him

considering messi's leaked contract the other day, under FFP there is no way imo city could afford him, but then again FFP is a joke so they will probably get some way around it if they really want him

City will pay him £200k p/w. Eithad will give him £300k p/w as an ambassador. Etisalat will give him another 250k p/w to appear in a TV advert and Abu Dhabi will make him an honorary citizen and shower him with riches.

You would wonder how much money is enough ?

If Messi is unhappy as he says then why not take pay cut and be happy wit your new challenge he will still be making an ungodly sum of money ,

I'm sure he makes an absolute fortune that doesn't come straight from his club wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

City will pay him £200k p/w. Eithad will give him £300k p/w as an ambassador. Etisalat will give him another 250k p/w to appear in a TV advert and Abu Dhabi will make him an honorary citizen and shower him with riches.

Was that part time coaching job Mancini was doing over in Abu Dhabi ever filled?

Look, this season, City will pull clear, win by 10 or 12 points. Liverpool, United in 2 and 3,Leicester and Chelsea will battle out the last CL place.

Was that part time coaching job Mancini was doing over in Abu Dhabi ever filled?

Look, this season, City will pull clear, win by 10 or 12 points. Liverpool, United in 2 and 3,Leicester and Chelsea will battle out the last CL place.

i applied a while back, still heard nothing back from HR...

nearly as funny as Xavi when he won the lotto soon after he moved from Barca to Al Sadd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Jose on Bale:
    Asked by a TV reporter why Bale did not come on, he replied: "Good question. You do not deserve to know the answer."

So edgy :rolleyes:

He'll be gone within a month imo

El Sueño wrote: »
    Jose on Bale:

So edgy :rolleyes:

He'll be gone within a month imo

The league cup is his potential saviour... normally it’s later this month or the very start of March, but this season it’s late April. Would they sack him before the first final they’ve gotten to in bloody years?

Who cares about the league cup? He'll be sacked if they finish out of the Top 4 I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Who cares about the league cup? He'll be sacked if they finish out of the Top 4 I presume.

The big 6. Considering 1 of them have won it I would say about 14 times in last 20 years.

The big 6. Considering 1 of them have won it I would say about 14 times in last 20 years.

It's the least important competition for the big teams.

I agree. But he didn't ask that. If they didn't care they'd play kids every week and have less fixtures

Of course it’s the least important - but it’s still important, especially for a club like Spurs.

It’s 13 years for them now without a trophy, and winning a trophy was Jose’s biggest remit when he came into the club. That much was clear in that Amazon doc.

He’s brought them to a final, so I could see them keeping him in place till that final is played in late April. Now, I guess we’ll see how they continue to play, as perhaps they may feel he’s detrimental to winning that final - but in fairness to him he does have a strong record in finals.

I agree. But he didn't ask that. If they didn't care they'd play kids every week and have less fixtures

Liverpool have done that, United and Arsenal put out a mixed team most times, City play B team player (although they're still loaded with 40-50m players). Chelsea so seem to play a few kids and fringe players.

League cup wont matter to the money men at the club, I'm not talking about the fans. I know the fans are desperate for a day out and some silverware.
    FSG sacked Dalglish after winning the league cup and getting to the FA cup final. Not making top 4 is what got him sacked.

• Advertisement

The league cup has been won by the top 6 because nobody cares about it ,
    Even midtable and lower side put out teams with lads who don't play regularly ,

Then when it reaches the semi final teams roll out the big guns but you'll still get a few non regulars in the starting 11's

Winning the league cup now does not even get you in the Europa League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The league cup is his potential saviour... normally it’s later this month or the very start of March, but this season it’s late April. Would they sack him before the first final they’ve gotten to in bloody years?
    You clearly don't rate the Champions League as a competition so!

jacool wrote: »
    You clearly don't rate the Champions League as a competition so!

Ha, true, slipped my mind in the moment!

Which perhaps strengthens the point - no way I’d have forgotten if they won :p

I just get the impression from how Levy spoke in the doc that winning a trophy is paramount, and a big part of why Jose was brought in - as much as I dislike the guy, he does win trophies. Into the final of the EFL, and the 5th round of the FA cup. And the results have only been properly consistently bad for a month... he’ll get another month at least, minimum, to try to start getting results going again.

West Brom, West Ham, Burnley and Palace are 4 of the next 5, with an EFL dress rehearsal against City in the middle - along with Everton in the cup. We’ll have a clearer sense of things at the end of that run. Come out of that run with wins where expected and he’ll see out the season I think.

Pickford and Allan both out for United game.

Bad news and good news in one sentence

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement