Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

Comments

Arsenal have fallen off a cliff in recent years. What has happened? Big club but can't compete.

17 years since they won the title. That in itself is incredible. Time flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Quazzie wrote: »
    When you see the likes of Liverpool and Leicester winning the league it really does mean anyone can, so it fills us with belief.

But ye are so far away though. Arteta imo isn't up to the job. The longer he stays there the more and more arsenal become irrelevant. Can't see arsenal being in any sort of a top four discussion for awhile and title shot aspirations would be imo deluded unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

When you see the likes of Liverpool and Leicester winning the league it really does mean anyone can, so it fills us with belief.

Now say it without crying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Pepe has been in a few really decent positions but just doesn’t seem tidy enough to finish things off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His rants are hilarious to be honest. Any criticism aimed at him online is usually met with rabbid defending. Also finding any excuse under the sun to avoid actually questioning tactical decisions, squad management and the teams lack of penetration. Thiago has seem to regressed under him too.

All the pressure is on Klopp and Liverpool this Sunday

Pep moans
    Wenger moaned
    Rafa moaned
    Jose moans
    Fergie moaned, do you remember that one time he wanted Ashley Williams done for attempted murder, That was down to the faact the drew with Swansea, and he needed something to moan about

They all moan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pepe's touch is awful. Can't remember when I last saw him play a good game. For a player that cost so much, he really is a disappointment.

Deserved league double for Villa over Arsenal.

Arteta not happy again, upset and having a nice long chat with the ref at the end.

And now poor arsenal lose again to cement their mid-table status as a club. You have to feel sorry for arsenal fans you really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

And now poor arsenal lose again to cement their mid-table status as a club. You have to feel sorry for arsenal fans you really do.

You would... then you see some of their posts and just have a giggle to yourself

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Pepe's touch is awful. Can't remember when I last saw him play a good game. For a player that cost so much, he really is a disappointment.

Deserved league double for Villa over Arsenal.

Arteta not happy again, upset and having a nice long chat with the ref at the end.

Thank God those Liverpool rumours for Pepe were all bullshít. We dodged a 72 million pound bullet there. Although it's hard to believe Klopp and Michael Edwards would have had any interest in such a poor player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mightyreds wrote: »
    Now say it without crying

#topbantz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Minamino starts for Southampton. It will be interesting to see how ge gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

#topbantz

#TopHalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Fitz* wrote: »
    #TopHalf?

Currently. Yes. Looks like you shot your load too early on that one chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Currently. Yes. Looks like you shot your load too early on that one chief.

You'll be looking out for the results of Leeds, Palace & Southampton now for the day. Out of fear that if any of them win because it will send Arsenal down to the bottom half again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Peter Walton with a cracking quote in the BT Coverage post match. “VAR is not there to get the correct decision” Well done

You'll be looking out for the results of Leeds, Palace & Southampton now for the day. Out of fear that if any of them win because it will send Arsenal down to the bottom half again.

Arsenals premier league season is effectively over after today. No chance of getting a top 6 place realistically now. So finishing 7th-17th is pretty much irrelevant. Europa League or nothing. They won’t win that either, but it’s what they will have to aim for to salvage an atrocious season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Peter Walton with a cracking quote in the BT Coverage post match. “VAR is not there to get the correct decision” Well done

I'm no Walton, or indeed current guise VAR, fan but it's true though. He meant it in the way that it's not there to look at every thing and get it all correct. It's there to look at specific things.

Shows how far Arsenal have fallen.
    The ridiculous situation with Ozil is finally over. So much money wasted on him.
    Long time since they've won it and a reasonable chance that they will finish in the bottom half this year. Tough job for Arteta if he's up to it.
    It's strange not seeing them challenging top 6 or even 8 really.

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm no Walton, or indeed current guise VAR, fan but it's true though. He meant it in the way that it's not there to look at every thing and get it all correct. It's there to look at specific things.

Well I would have thought a possible penalty shout for a foul on Lacazette by Martinez, would have been one of them specific things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Well I would have thought a possible penalty shout for a foul on Lacazette by Martinez, would have been one of them specific things?

Not really, it’s not there to give a second opinion on a decision. It’s there to determine whether the ref made a clear and obvious error. Which he did not.

You put 10 people into a room and ask them to give an opinion on whether there is enough from Martinez to give a penalty there and you will get a variety of different responses. He has hands on him for sure, but he doesn’t pull him down, Lacazette is backing into him and that’s why he goes down.

VAR is not there to give differing opinions on a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bednarek 2 in 2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Glad we dodged that Bale bullet you know, just popped into my head today. That could have been us quite easily and I know some were open to the idea of bringing him in here but he has removed all doubt now surely that he is done at this level?

Edit: Just pretend I posted that in the man United thread where I thought I was posting *thumbs up*

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

CSF wrote: »
    Not really, it’s not there to give a second opinion on a decision. It’s there to determine whether the ref made a clear and obvious error. Which he did not.

You put 10 people into a room and ask them to give an opinion on whether there is enough from Martinez to give a penalty there and you will get a variety of different responses. He has hands on him for sure, but he doesn’t pull him down, Lacazette is backing into him and that’s why he goes down.

VAR is not there to give differing opinions on a decision.

Fair enough so. You could probably say that about every decision in games so, bar the offside decisions. I’ve seen plenty of debatable decisions get overturned the last couple of years that VAR has been in the league.

Your point in valid no matter what thread you post it in! A struggling Spurs still not turning to him. Bale is still picking up £600k per week.....And will be until 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thank God those Liverpool rumours for Pepe were all bullshít. We dodged a 72 million pound bullet there. Although it's hard to believe Klopp and Michael Edwards would have had any interest in such a poor player.

72 Million, **** me, you wouldn't take him on a free transfer. He's been absolute muck for arsenal since joining.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I thought Southampton were really missing Vestergaard. 12 goals conceded in one and a half games.

Only won once since he was injured. Then I checked the teamsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mushy wrote: »
    Bednarek 2 in 2 now

Has been given to Almiron, so 2 for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think I jinxed Bednarek I put him in my FF team last and forgot to take him out this week. He has also probably cost me half a million places in the last two match weeks.

Ward-Prowse, what a free kick.

Minamino scored a lovely goal earlier, seems to be playing well for Southampton. Hendrick off for a foul on him.

• Advertisement

Apparently the new Burnley owners have dumped approx £90m of debt on to the club after buying it. How can that be allowed?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

doc_17 wrote: »
    Apparently the new Burnley owners have dumped approx £90m of debt on to the club after buying it. How can that be allowed?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

Same as how man utd were bought. Use the cash reserves of the club. A mental method altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Same as the Glazers at Utd, and Hicks & Gillett at Liverpool... horrible practice, but it seems like once you own the company you can structure your debt how you please :-/

Bednarek escapes a red for a last man tackle, then after the free is blocked he goes into a tackle with Schar, who end up injured.

So Newcastle now down to 9 men after Wilson and Manquilo were injured in the first, Saint Maxim can't play a full game so was taken off just after an hour.

Still 3-2 after Southampton hit the post and have a goal ruled out for offside.

Mad game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It should not be allowed its a disgrace same as it was allowed at united. Buying a football club for free basically and destroying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

pjohnson wrote: »
    It just seems Potter decided Roberto Sanchez was better and then just binned Ryan to the reserves for no real reason. Kinda like how Howe suddenly decided Ramsdale was better than Begovic.

I don’t get that at all. Until Kelleher stepped up to the plate I would gladly taken Ryan as backup to Allison. There must be an issue with him. Wages or something!

• Advertisement

Southampton have had an unbelievably **** 7 days.

Southampton lose 3-2 to Newcastle in the end. Mad second half even though it only had one goal. Lost 5 in a row now since defeating Liverpool. 1 win in 10.

JPA wrote: »
    Southampton have had an unbelievably **** 7 days.

5 losses in a row to top it off (maybe more, just going by form on pl site).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Relegation really seams sorted now , cant see anyone coming back now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fair enough so. You could probably say that about every decision in games so, bar the offside decisions. I’ve seen plenty of debatable decisions get overturned the last couple of years that VAR has been in the league.

Well I’m certainly not suggesting that VAR has been used well in every instance. Tonnes of times where they used it when they shouldn’t have, and didn’t use it when they should have. They’ve gotten criticism and deserved it.

But I wouldn’t agree that you could say that about every decision in games. There are often stonewall penalties, blatant red cards in games. I understand why someone might have shouted for a penalty today if they were up for Arsenal fan, and I probably would have shouted for it too if it was the other way around, but it is definitely not stonewall.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    5 losses in a row to top it off (maybe more, just going by form on pl site).

It's the nature of the losses more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Glad we dodged that Bale bullet you know, just popped into my head today. That could have been us quite easily and I know some were open to the idea of bringing him in here but he has removed all doubt now surely that he is done at this level?

Edit: Just pretend I posted that in the man United thread where I thought I was posting *thumbs up*

I'm sure some will just blame Jose for his struggles this year. Jose is the ultimate get out of jail card for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

The "likes" of Liverpool? 97 followed by 99 points with a champions league won in between. ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm sure some will just blame Jose for his struggles this year. Jose is the ultimate get out of jail card for players.

Surely jose would have called zidane and asked him first why he wasnt picking him and what issues madrid were having with bale first before he signed him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bangkok wrote: »
    Surely jose would have called zidane and asked him first why he wasnt picking him and what issues madrid were having with bale first before he signed him?

Bale was definitely a Levy signing. I bet he was hoping bringing back one of Spurs biggest superstars would get all the fans saying how well he did and build up some goodwill.

Jose probably saw it as a win win as long as signing Bale didn't mean he missed out on signings he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

DM_7 wrote: »
    Ward-Prowse, what a free kick.

Minamino scored a lovely goal earlier, seems to be playing well for Southampton. Hendrick off for a foul on him.

Has to be the best set-piece taker in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If this is a red card it's s disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mike Dean absolutely loves his job.

Lee Mason would wanna have a word with himself for evening asking him to review it.

Ridiculous

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If this is a red card it's s disgrace

The longer he looked the more likely I felt he would give one.

In reality it should be the other way though, he clearly couldn't decide himself and then just decided to go with the red.

Another horrendous decision for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Absolute joke of a red card. Luckily for today it's into injury time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement