Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

reminiscent of the game in 2012.

Man City will most likely win the league easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

SlickRic wrote: »
    That's as well as I've seen Utd play this season.

Never should've drawn.

But you've always got a chance with that backline.

Terrible defending no leadership from maguire at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

MD1990 wrote: »
    reminiscent of the game in 2012.

Man City will most likely win the league easily.

Yeah probably by 10 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

De Gea bottled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Nice to see so many familiar faces, it's been fierce quiet in here for the last few days, hated, adored but never ignored, happy Saturday night folks!

• Advertisement

De Gea bottled it

Utd might of been better off if that fax machine had worked

Nice to see so many familiar faces, it's been fierce quiet in here for the last few days, hated, adored but never ignored, happy Saturday night folks!

It will be roles reversed tomorrow evening if city win

It will be roles reversed tomorrow evening if city win

I fully expect lfc to get a draw at a minimum. Ultimately it won't matter to Uniteds fortunes, as far as I was concerned at the start of the season it would be a Liverpool / City 1/2 and hopeful united would have top 4 sorted before the last few games so nothing has changed for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Wow!

What about that by Dominic Nathaniel Calvert-Lewin in Fergie time?!

An excellent result for Everton, but a rather poor one for United all things considered.

Not only 2-0 up at one stage but 3-2 also. The saying 'Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me' comes to mind. Unforgivable stuff.

Anyways, I'm off to watch a film and I've a big bag of toffees to enjoy while I'm at it.

Tonight I am going to watch 'Big' starring Tom Hanks.

In this film, Tom Hanks plays a child who who mysteriously finds himself in the body of an adult.

Looking at him, you'd he should be no different to any other adult. However, his childish, immature & embarrassing behaviour suggests otherwise.

I'll stop there as not to spoil anything for anyone who may want to watch it also.

Have a good Saturday night folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Yeah probably by 10 points
    Won't be 10 pts. We'll drop points along the way. This month is tough.....
    Liverpool A
    Spurs H
    Everton A
    Arsenal A
    West Ham H

And then, first game next month.... Utd H

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    Liverpool A
    Spurs H
    Everton A
    Arsenal A
    West Ham H

Yeah but those behind are woefully inconsistent,so ye might drop a couple of points but utd,Leicester and liverpool will drop more. BTW welcome back Blueser,you were missed around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Wow!

What about that by Dominic Nathaniel Calvert-Lewin in Fergie time?!

An excellent result for Everton, but a rather poor one for United all things considered.

Not only 2-0 up at one stage but 3-2 also. The saying 'Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me' comes to mind. Unforgivable stuff.

Anyways, I'm off to watch a film and I've a big bag of toffees to enjoy while I'm at it.

Tonight I am going to watch 'Big' starring Tom Hanks.

In this film, Tom Hanks plays a child who who mysteriously finds himself in the body of an adult.

Looking at him, you'd he should be no different to any other adult. However, his childish, immature & embarrassing behaviour suggests otherwise.

I'll stop there as not to spoil anything for anyone who may want to watch it also.

Have a good Saturday night folks :)

Haha, another brilliant effort DVDM93, loving these :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

De gea and Maguire have no business at this level, woefully inadequate.

If city win at anfield tomorrow it's over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Olé is probably the best half-a-season manager in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Can't be throwing away a 2-0 lead if you want to be challengers. Then again, can't be challengers if you have Maguire and de Gea as the back bone of your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool A
    Spurs H
    Everton A
    Arsenal A
    West Ham H

So you're saying you'll win it by 15 points. I like your moxy kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

OGS questioning Fergus time😂😂😂♥️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

man u have well and truly bottled this title race. Losing at home to bottom side Sheffield United last week and now tonight throwing away 3 points with practically the last kick of the game.

Mentality monsters they most certainly are not.

Yeah but those behind are woefully inconsistent,so ye might drop a couple of points but utd,Leicester and liverpool will drop more. BTW welcome back Blueser,you were missed around here.
    Thanks for the kind words fella. They're much appreciated. And I'm not taking the you know what. But I doubt your sentiments will be echoed by too many on here.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm glad your back big blueser!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

man u have well and truly bottled this title race. Losing at home to bottom side Sheffield United last week and now tonight throwing away 3 points with practically the last kick of the game.

Mentality monsters they most certainly are not.
    Despite their position, Utd have never been in the title race. Every Utd fan could tell you the defence isn't good enough and results like tonight and Sheff Utd would continue to happen.

Although it was only 2 points thrown away tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Man City should win the league by 10 points this season. United are good going forward but have serious defensive issues. Before the season may didn't like their top 4 chances. I wouldn't be confident in them finishing above Liverpool. Liverpool have had a serious amount of injuries and are struggling at the moment.

New posting here but there's certainly a school playground vibe. Liverpool fans straight in to celebrate Arsenal's loss earlier and then again tonight to celebrate an Everton draw :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/CharDuncker/status/1358188361207398400

sums up Man Utd atm.

Done well this season but when an expectation comes they struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Despite their position, Utd have never been in the title race. Every Utd fan could tell you the defence isn't good enough and results like tonight and Sheff Utd would continue to happen.

Although it was only 2 points thrown away tonight.

4wzvel.jpg

• blueser wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words fella. They're much appreciated. And I'm not taking the you know what. But I doubt your sentiments will be echoed by too many on here.
    :rolleyes:

Welcome back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The mentality isnt there IMO, real belief that they can go and win a trophy, and deserve to be at the top of the table. I said it before a couple of months ago that Man Utd have fallen into a title race. But do the players think they are good enough?

It's all good and well edging wins in close games against Wolves, Villa & Fulham but when the pressure is on, or a big team arrives it's been 0-0s and losses. There's been a lot of those wins this season. WBA, Brighton, Villa all won with controversial penalties and while not getting into that, those 6 games mentioned heralded an extra 12 points. Edging close games or scraping a win is only sustainable for so long. It can't last a season. Title challengers regularly go and put teams to the sword.

Go and make a statement win to announce yourselves on the scene as a team ready to win the title. Has there been one this season? The 6-2 against Leeds maybe, but on the flip side, Leeds got slaughtered for their tactical set up. Everton away? There's not many options. Southampton when they had 9 players?

Generally the up & coming teams that are title challengers are generally in the mix for a season or two first but just need to iron out some small issues first. Think Chelsea 13/14 or Liverpool 17/18. Fergie had some team of his own too. You could see that there was title winning players in those sides even though they finished 3rd & 4th.

Those teams had the mindset to go and beat the big sides. Not afraid to take them on and beat them, building a title winning mentality within the squad. Mourinho used to always try and win the league cup to get this tradition going too.

Fitz* wrote: »
    The mentality isnt there IMO, real belief that they can go and win a trophy, and deserve to be at the top of the table. I said it before a couple of months ago that Man Utd have fallen into a title race. But do the players think they are good enough?

It's all good and well edging wins in close games against Wolves, Villa & Fulham but when the pressure is on, or a big team arrives it's been 0-0s and losses. There's been a lot of those wins this season. WBA, Brighton, Villa all won with controversial penalties and while not getting into that, those 6 games mentioned heralded an extra 12 points. Edging close games or scraping a win is only sustainable for so long. It can't last a season. Title challengers regularly go and put teams to the sword.

Go and make a statement win to announce yourselves on the scene as a team ready to win the title. Has there been one this season? The 6-2 against Leeds maybe, but on the flip side, Leeds got slaughtered for their tactical set up. Everton away? There's not many options. Southampton when they had 9 players?

Generally the up & coming teams that are title challengers are generally in the mix for a season or two first but just need to iron out some small issues first. Think Chelsea 13/14 or Liverpool 17/18. Fergie had some team of his own too. You could see that there was title winning players in those sides even though they finished 3rd & 4th.

Those teams had the mindset to go and beat the big sides. Not afraid to take them on and beat them, building a title winning mentality within the squad. Mourinho used to always try and win the league cup to get this tradition going too.
    There's definitely something in the mentality argument. The amount of semi finals they've lost in the last couple of seasons would hint at a mental block when they get near the "winning line". Who's at fault for this; Solksjaer, or the players? I wouldn't pretend to know the answer to that. They do have some good players, so that shouldn't be the issue. Individual errors are costing them, though. DDG and Maguire were sloppy tonight. And I'm sure OGS isn't sending them out to make these errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

505_ wrote: »
    Man City should win the league by 10 points this season. United are good going forward but have serious defensive issues. Before the season may didn't like their top 4 chances. I wouldn't be confident in them finishing above Liverpool. Liverpool have had a serious amount of injuries and are struggling at the moment.

New posting here but there's certainly a school playground vibe. Liverpool fans straight in to celebrate Arsenal's loss earlier and then again tonight to celebrate an Everton draw :pac:

You seemed to miss the posts baiting responses earlier just go back a few posts before they are there. There's always tit for tat somewhere along the line.

But as far as the united liverpool thing, that's here all the time, I jump into it the odd time myself but it is crazy :-)

• mightyreds wrote: »
    You seemed to miss the posts baiting responses earlier just go back a few posts before they are there. There's always tit for tat somewhere along the line.

But as far as the united liverpool thing, that's here all the time, I jump into it the odd time myself but it is crazy :-)

What posts? Just wondering considering you are making this statement.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Ole saying United shouldn't be considered title contenders. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's definitely something in the mentality argument. The amount of semi finals they've lost in the last couple of seasons would hint at a mental block when they get near the "winning line". Who's at fault for this; Solksjaer, or the players? I wouldn't pretend to know the answer to that. They do have some good players, so that shouldn't be the issue. Individual errors are costing them, though. DDG and Maguire were sloppy tonight. And I'm sure OGS isn't sending them out to make these errors.

Yeah it's always going to be outside looking in for us too.

Bruno obviously has a brilliant mentality and is a real driving force in that team. McTominay is a character I think every side needs, and Rashford seems to have a bit of go in him alright. Having Maguire are a captain doesn't expire me with confidence or the man behind him. Is DDG the vice captain? OGS needs to be installing that winning mentality in the rest of the players as the manager. To be fair OGS did drop DDG before after a few mistakes but he was straight into the side again the next game. Be interesting to see who starts in goals next game now after costing his side points against Sheffield United & Everton now. Maguire will never get dropped.

There's another manager getting slaughtered in here a lot for being grumpy or whatever if his team doesn't win but he has the winning mentality instilled in his players and team and has reaped the rewards with it.

Bruno obviously has a brilliant mentality and is a real driving force in that team. McTominay is a character I think every side needs, and Rashford seems to have a bit of go in him alright. Having Maguire are a captain doesn't expire me with confidence or the man behind him. Is DDG the vice captain? OGS needs to be installing that winning mentality in the rest of the players as the manager. To be fair OGS did drop DDG before after a few mistakes but he was straight into the side again the next game. Be interesting to see who starts in goals next game now after costing his side points against Sheffield United & Everton now. Maguire will never get dropped.

There's another manager getting slaughtered in here a lot for being grumpy or whatever if his team doesn't win but he has the winning mentality instilled in his players and team and has reaped the rewards with it.

Aye, Jose does get alot of grief but he has been a proven winner time and again, his ego has just ran away with him, pity, it was always more interesting when he was in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

What posts? Just wondering considering you are making this statement.

You should know you've thanked them all, there was an arsenal fan in earlier jumping on the "next year is our year" and if liverpool and leicester can win the league any team can, ridiculous statements obviously looking for a reaction.

• Ole saying United shouldn't be considered title contenders. Lovely.

He is correct with defending like that. Not that surprising.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    4wzvel.jpg

I was pointing out that you drop two points when you draw not three as the poster had said. Not saying it was a good thing. Do keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

He is correct with defending like that. Not that surprising.

Big time. 4 more years get it done Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CharDuncker/status/1358188361207398400

sums up Man Utd atm.

Done well this season but when an expectation comes they struggle

Man United have 3 league winning managers in their 142 year existence. Winning the league is the anomaly for them, not not winning it. I see chat about getting back "where they belong." Already there lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United's defending and at time their approach lets them down.

2-0 up at half time. Ole should be aware of the space in behind out wide that Everton did not use well in the first half and that Everton will be looking to start fast. His team should be set up to not give anything away easy early in the second half and ready to use its counter attack skills.

That is a double whammy as United are very poor at defending balls down the line in behind the full backs. If you get Lindelof of Maguire out wide and or turned they struggle badly. They lose the player they are marking, can be slow to react.

Maguire for example cost 80million but he struggles when running towards his own goal and does his best defending when things take place on front. If balls come in at chest height or lower he can't react quick enough.

De Gea has zero authority in the box. For the first goal Shaw cannot believe where De Gea places the ball after his attempt to stop the cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

.G. wrote: »
    Man United have 3 league winning managers in their 142 year existence. Winning the league is the anomaly for them, not not winning it. I see chat about getting back "where they belong." Already there lads.

This is the most bizarre metric you could possibly use considering they’ve won more titles than any of our teams. How do you type that out and not cringe halfway through and abandon ship?

Isn't it amazing then that they've won the league more often than anyone else in those 142 years? Doesn't that mean that for all those other clubs, including Liverpool, that where they belong is also not winning the league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Ah here... Is that the metric? No mitigating factors like length of time SAF was there? That’s like a VAR decision whilst it may technically be correct, it’s so very very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

I find Ole's attitude of "we were never in the title hunt" as telling. He seems to be a naturally cautious and risk averse type, and you get the impression he isn't the sort saying the opposite behind closed doors either. I don't think that is good for a team like United.

Everyone would have said leciister weren't a title winning team and would contend. But this is what Ranrieri said early February when his side were 5 points clear. It's a massive contrast between Ole's attitude, who also seems like he's rather not be there.

"The pressure's on the others. Tell me why we have pressure? Why must I feel pressure? We just continue to dream with our fans. I think we work so hard to achieve this level. We want to stay at this level. There's no pressure for us.

It's a crazy Premier League. If it was a normal league there would be a big gap but we will fight to maintain our position. This time I hope the bookmakers are right."

This is wonderful, it's so salty it could easily resaltulate the saltiest place on earth to ensure that there was enough salt there to see our children's children's children's children have enough salt to build sky scrapers made of salt, powered by salt fuel with salt being the only viable currency in 300 years time. Just wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Aye, Jose does get alot of grief but he has been a proven winner time and again, his ego has just ran away with him, pity, it was always more interesting when he was in the mix.

my bias will show here but Jose hasn't been a winner for long time, his downfall has been glorious. I've hated him since the "shush" incident with the Liverpool fans. Beating him (not Chelsea) subsequently in 2005 ......I just can't describe it. The injury time in that match, I was sitting in my bath in the dark, hands clutched around my head, wondering if I was dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

In that case Arsenal are the 2nd most successful club in England

Quite funny that Ole said that this United team shouldn't even be considered contenteders
    That is probably whoely down to him,
    That same squad in that same position with a wolrd class manager would be considered contenteders no question

Iv been saying it for years the "United way" is a myth

Its the" Fergie way" they have just defaulted to what the club was before Ferguson,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

a hear they're one of the most successful teams in history, it's why we hate them so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    4wzvel.jpg

Genuine question, why was this post yellow carded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

This is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read here. They've won the league more than any other club. It's only a matter of time before they win it again, even with OGS in charge they are in the mix this season although unlikely to win it, but, it's only a matter of time before they get a manager who will make then genuine title contenders and will win the league again. Every club goes through fallow periods where they aren't title contenders, United have just experienced that, but, look like they are coming out of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement