Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Arsenal & Saka in particular off to a great start here. He could have had a hattrick inside 10 minutes between rattling the bar, another great chance & a disallowed goal due to Lacazette being offside. He was a massive loss on Saturday.

Good to see Aubameyang back albeit only on the bench for now, hopefully his Mum is doing better.

Tierney is still out injured.

Arsenal to win was my call before the game started & the first 15 minutes hasn't changed my mind on that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just read that Burnley's new owners did a leveraged buyout the club using the clubs own money and now the club is £90m worse off and loaded with debt.

Man U can survive something like that because it's a global brand and would always find a buyer however a club like Burnley if the go down that could be the end of the club who would pay £200+m for them that the new owners now value them at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Good battling from Pepe and lovely finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just read that Burnley's new owners did a leveraged buyout the club using the clubs own money and now the club is £90m worse off and loaded with debt.

Man U can survive something like that because it's a global brand and would always find a buyer however a club like Burnley if the go down that could be the end of the club who would pay £200+m for them that the new owners now value them at.

Psst! look 10 posts up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

West Brom take the lead somewhat against the run of play

Oh wow! A huge turn of events here are Molineux.

David Luiz sent off for a profession foul, Wolves penalty.

It came just after it was looking like the ref was blowing for half-time too.

Neves slots home, 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Luiz sent off. Its like he fell over into the Wolves player

So clumsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That just isn't a red card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Ramsdale is one of the poorest keepers i have ever seen in the prem. Im not even sure hes championship level

AdamD wrote: »
    That just isn't a red card

Clipped as he was running. Any contact with the legs when running full pelt is going to through you off. Easy decision for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

DVDM93 wrote: »

Did they not change the red card rule a while back that if the last man back fouled the player in the box and a penalty was awarded then that would be punishment enough? I feel like every rule gets changes these days?ha...

This is it wrote: »
    Clipped as he was running. Any contact with the legs when running full pelt is going to through you off. Easy decision for me.

Intent doesn't come in to it either as Peter Walton just confirmed on BT Sports.

Did they not change the red card rule a while back that if the last man back fouled the player in the box and a penalty was awarded then that would be punishment enough? I feel like every rule gets changes these days?ha...

I'll be honest with you, I've adapted a go with the flow approach regarding rules in the Premier League. No point trying to keep up with them as there ever changing & even the ones that don't there's inconsistency with them. There's an attractive element of surprise that comes with this approach too, going in to games not knowing what new rule you might see or what old rule you might see gotten rid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This is it wrote: »

Double jeopardy doesn't come in for accidental contact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I honestly don't know why Peter Walton is there. If he is right that's just confirmation if he is wrong he looks a div.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's a foul alright, but to give a straight red card is a bit much isnt it? Unless there's a new rule for double punishment or something..

If it was your team on the recieving end of the card, you'd be incredibly annoyed. No question about the penalty as he does impede the attacker.

AdamD wrote: »
    Double jeopardy doesn't come in for accidental contact?

The red and the peno? Hadn't thought of it to be honest, hard to keep up with the rules and changes

Wow!

What an incredible goal by Moutinho!

• Advertisement

I'll be honest with you, I've adapted a go with the flow approach regarding rules in the Premier League. No point trying to keep up with them as there ever changing & even the ones that don't there's inconsistency with them. There's an attractive element of surprise that comes with this approach too, going in to games not knowing what new rule you might see or what old rule you might see gotten rid of.

Seems to be the way. I remember at the thinking that rule change was a good one because sometimes its harsh to get the red card and peno to go against you but obviously the powers that be don't agree...

Pick that out. Moutinho with an absolute cracker!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The accidental contact only comes into it if there's an attempt to play the ball. It may have been unintentional but he didn't attempt to play the ball. If that sort of foul only got a yellow, you'd have players "unintentionally" clipping players' heels in similar situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think the rule has changed... it's a yellow and a pen if the last man makes a genuine attempt to get the ball, but fouls in the process - as in, sliding in from the side and just missing ball contact.

It's a red and a pen if the last man fouls the attacker without trying to get the ball - as in, clipping from behind, pulling someone down etc.

So it's consistent with the law as we've known it for a long time. Just looks odd in this case as it was somewhat accidental and awkward and looked a bit benign - but being accidental or not doesn't play into it, it was still a last-man foul that didn't come from trying to play the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What was Leno thinking there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

POKERKING wrote: »
    Ramsdale is one of the poorest keepers i have ever seen in the prem. Im not even sure hes championship level

Howes decision to make him #1 ahead of Begovic and even Boruc was a large part of why Bournemouth went down. Now his keeping will bring Sheffield down. Can't see anyone giving him a 3rd spell in the prem next year.

Brain dead from Leno to get sent off like that.

Another red card for Arsenal.

Sheff Utd taken the lead.

• Advertisement

Well at least Arteta upgraded his back up by getting Ryan from Brighton...........who he didn't put on the bench. Oh Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well at least Arteta upgraded his back up by getting Ryan from Brighton...........who he didn't put on the bench. Oh Arsenal.

Can't put an injured player on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Leno does that, knowing 2nd choice keeper injured,and he gets a 3 game ban now..brainless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ryan has a slight injury. Due back in two weeks I think.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Oh was that why Brighton let him leave or did that happen since he joined Arsenal?
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Ryan has a slight injury. Due back in two weeks I think.

Didnt realise.

Oh was that why Brighton let him leave or did that happen since he joined Arsenal?

Didnt realise.

Hip injury. Very recent and only slight.

Hip injury. Very recent and only slight.

Thats absolutely shíte luck.

Thats absolutely shíte luck.

I suspect he'll be fine for the next game.

Sheff Utd back in the race not to finish bottom.

It would be glorious to see Big Sam finish rock bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not with that attitude

No wins in 8 for Wolves, no losses for Arsenal in 7.

Wolves 2-1 Arsenal.

I love football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great result for them - they're still undoubtedly going down, but it's nice to have the talk of them being the worst ever Prem team fading off, because they're just not. They've been really poor obviously, but it's really been their bluntness going forward that's killed them this season. They're not getting tonked by anyone... they've conceded fewer than Leeds up in 12th, and 17 fewer goals than West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Southampton have a large injury list for tonight's game.

Just had a look at their bench - they have named 2 goalkeepers, 4 teenagers, a youngster in his debut season, and still don't have enough to fill all the bench positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No wins in 8 for Wolves, no losses for Arsenal in 7.

Wolves 2-1 Arsenal.

I love football :)

Mad year , if City can start to slip up , would really make it better - stranger things have happened !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If they don't start picking up points soon he'll be gone long before the end of the season.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for Arsenal & Arteta tonight.

They came out playing the best football I've seen them play all season.

Saka could have had a hattrick inside 10 minutes & it was looking like they were going to win by a few goals.

I nearly had to check that I wasn't watching Premier League years when Pepe scored in that it was Henry-esque.

This with Saka only back from injury, Aubameyang on the bench & Tierney out injured.

Then, all of a sudden David Luiz remembers that he is David Luiz & makes a mistake in typical fashion & it was all downhill from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't blame Luiz for that, it's entirely on the officials and a terrible decision.

The one good thing from VAR is that it exposes just how poor the standard of Premier League refereeing is.

Can't blame Luiz for that, it's entirely on the officials and a terrible decision.

The one good thing from VAR is that it exposes just how poor the standard of Premier League refereeing is.

But he fouled him, regardless of how accidental it was its still a foul.

• Ffs shocking tackle
    Straight red

That's a disgusting challenge, hopefully Scott McTominay gets up OK.

Edit: He's up, great to see, it was a nasty one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement