Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

JPA wrote: »
    Why is everything about Liverpool?

It's not.....just don't tell them that.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm conflicted. I feel sorry for Ralph and Southampton. I like him, and i like his club.

But, on the other hand, I brought Bruno into my FF team after KDB got injured, and he earned me 14 points, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Delighted for Ralph Hasenhüttl after him crying for attention after they beat Liverpool

He has something to cry about now

That's not very nice now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Ole has managed his squad much better than many managers in the league this season

I would agree with this. And after tonight's result I think I speak for a lot people when I say that Ole throughly deserves a contract extension at United given how excellent they have been this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

VAR got the Martial decision wrong and also the Che Adams one is just so marginal, let it stand.

But beyond all of that for the first time in forever it's ****ing fun watching United each week. Like a pack of revels, you don't know what you're getting. It's great fun and whatever ends up happening, fair play to Ole for steadying the ship and building a solid squad there while getting a tune out of some cast offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm conflicted. I feel sorry for Ralph and Southampton. I like him, and i like his club.

But, on the other hand, I brought Bruno into my FF team after KDB got injured, and he earned me 14 points, so...

17 including the likely 3 bonus Rebel ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Could have been worse, I could have had Bedernek in my FF team. Oh wait, I did!

Augme wrote: »
    I would agree with this. And after tonight's result I think I speak for a lot people when I say that Ole throughly deserves a contract extension at United given how excellent they have been this season.

Oh is this one of those weird things that rival fans do to take the wind out of fans sails when they are enjoying themselves? Never got it tbh

Ah stop he feel on his knees crying cause they beat Liverpool on there own ground,
    Youd swear he was managing a Sunday league team and manged it

There and their are two completely different words, do you know the difference or would you like me to explain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

VAR got the Martial decision wrong and also the Che Adams one is just so marginal, let it stand.

But beyond all of that for the first time in forever it's ****ing fun watching United each week. Like a pack of revels, you don't know what you're getting. It's great fun and whatever ends up happening, fair play to Ole for steadying the ship and building a solid squad there while getting a tune out of sone cast offs.
    VAR didn't get the Martial decision wrong. Dean gave the pen and then stayed with the decision after looking at the screen. Nothing at all to do with VAR.

VAR didn't get the Martial decision wrong. Dean gave the pen and then stayed with the decision after looking at the screen. Nothing at all to do with VAR.

Yeah fair point. The overall decision was wrong. I actually really rate Dean as a ref, which is rare, and felt he had a decent enough game.

Imo, the only wrong decision he made tonight was the Martial one. Cavani should have had a pen and Adams goal should have stood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

No but it was still wrong as was the one against Luiz earlier. You only have to brush off a defender and fall down now to to get a penalty. Its a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

That slowing down to make contact and get the foul is so obvious in real time and replays (and I don’t mean slo-mo) - it’s cheating end of story. Should be at least a yellow card every time. It’s so obviously an unnatural motion. Boils my p*ss that players do it and refs get conned by it every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I dont know how the Adams goal didn't stand, genuinely looked like the VAR fella got the lines mixed up or something. Its a nothing point given the result but **** me, if it takes that long to decide, attacker gets the benefit of the doubt and move on.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    I dont know how the Adams goal didn't stand, genuinely looked like the VAR fella got the lines mixed up or something. Its a nothing point given the result but **** me, if it takes that long to decide, attacker gets the benefit of the doubt and move on.

Unbelievable decision, from the still frame with the lines he was clearly on no? Maguires foot was way ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

duffman13 wrote: »

Ya that should have stood to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

United -8 the obvious bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Garzorico wrote: »
    That slowing down to make contact and get the foul is so obvious in real time and replays (and I don’t mean slo-mo) - it’s cheating end of story. Should be at least a yellow card every time. It’s so obviously an unnatural motion. Boils my p*ss that players do it and refs get conned by it every time.

how do you police that though?

you can hurdle if you want, but should you have to?

i really dont know - there aint no easy solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Unearthly wrote: »
    So the highest ever wins in Premier league is 9-0 which has been done 3 times and Hasenhuttl has been on the receiving end for 2 of them? I like him as a manager but that's embarrassing

Those are terrible scorelines alright. You'd have to bear in mind they went down to 10 men though very early in both those games. It doesn't excuse those results but it definitely was a factor. And they had a number of guys missing with injuries tonight too.

He's a manager who prepares his team very well with a plan, and on occasions his team have folded when the plan was turned upside down. He'll have to address that.

But by and large he'd done a brilliant job imo.
    Southampton were relegation candidates when he took over. They've spent most of this season in the Top 6.
    And on most days, are a really tough team to play against.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Those are terrible scorelines alright. You'd have to bear in mind they went down to 10 men though very early in both those games. It doesn't excuse those results but it definitely was a factor. And they had a number of guys missing with injuries tonight too.

He's a manager who prepares his team very well with a plan, and on occasions his team have folded when the plan was turned upside down. He'll have to address that.

But by and large he'd done a brilliant job imo.
    Southampton were relegation candidates when he took over. They've spent most of this season in the Top 6.
    And on most days, are a really tough team to play against.

i could be forgetting a manager here. relegation candidates? maybe i'm forgetting poch's last season.

last season leicester won 9-0. in the return fixture, southampton won. prob secured utd top 4 (or at least till last game of the season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

i could be forgetting a manager here. relegation candidates? maybe i'm forgetting poch's last season.

last season leicester won 9-0. in the return fixture, southampton won. prob secured utd top 4 (or at least till last game of the season).

You've forgotten Mark Hughes' illustrious time as manager then!

They were bottom 3 when Ralph Hassenhutl took over from him and in terrible form.

The guy has done a super job. On an absolute shoestring budget too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Poch
    Puel
    Pellegrino
    Hughes
    Ralph

They were in relegation zone when Hughes was sacked, he had taken over after the previous coach was struggling badly also.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    You've forgotten Mark Hughes' illustrious time as manager then!

They were bottom 3 when Ralph Hassenhutl took over from him and in terrible form.

The guy has done a super job. On an absolute shoestring budget too.
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Poch
    Puel
    Pellegrino
    Hughes
    Ralph

They were in relegation zone when Hughes was sacked, he had taken over after the previous coach was struggling badly also.

:eek:

if ever there was an advert not to drink! :P

i could have sat and thought about that for 2 hours and i would still have come up blank. maybe sparky after 5 hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

:eek:

if ever there was an advert not to drink! :P

i could have sat and thought about that for 2 hours and i would still have come up blank. maybe sparky after 5 hours.

Tbf I had to look up Pellegrino and only remembered Puel as Sky kept showing the Zlatan 2017 league cup final during the covid football break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

9-0 is bad

But

The manager has them as a good mid table side. If I was a Southampton fan I wouldn't be calling for the managers head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

how do you police that though?

you can hurdle if you want, but should you have to?

i really dont know - there aint no easy solutions.

Ah look..... Between them they couldn't get the Adams 'offside' decision right, and it is a simple Call given they have VAR, how do you expect them to get anything complicated right.

Officials in the EPL are a joke, and getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Southampton go ahead of Arsenal if they win their game in hand, next two games are Newcastle and Wolves.

1 horrific result from 38 isn't a bad return. They'll of had a great season if they finish top 12. Net spend of £12m in the summer. Calling for the managers head is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

AidoEirE wrote: »
    9-0 is bad

But

The manager has them as a good mid table side. If I was a Southampton fan I wouldn't be calling for the managers head.

I wouldn't be calling for his head as a fan, he's done a good job but I would be questioning how good it is for morale to just let games get out of hand and do next to nothing to stop it. Especially when they have 3 wins in their last 10 games, two of those wins coming in the FA Cup.

Confidence must be down going into the United game and he let them get thumped, he can't do anything about the red card but after that he can change it up and make them more defensive. Sometimes you just need to try and make the game a chore for the opposition. If you're a player out there, getting ran all over, you'd be praying for the manager to help you out, he didn't. 70 minutes and 5-0 down before he brought on a midfielder for a striker.

Are you going to run through a wall for a manager who let you be humiliated, and it's humiliated twice for some of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

/\ did you see their bench tonight? Kids and keepers.

Is there even any point throwing in players you might want to keep fresh for the next game in 3/4 days when the game has clearly gone?

AidoEirE wrote: »
    9-0 is bad

But

Unanimous stay on this thread as I post!

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/58532-should-ralph-resign/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

9-0 wow. Dont see that too often in the premier league. Ruthless tonight

adaminho wrote: »

Dam, United would only have won 8-0:pac:

Some great goals today

Pepe
    Moutinho
    Shelvey
    Riedewald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I think the double punishment is harsh - pen and red card. Wish they would change the rule to a yellow card and pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Calling for the manager to be sacked after a 9-0 result seems extremely knee jerk unless you'd be saying the same thing if he lost 3-0. Obviously 9-0 looks terrible but down to 10 men's for well over 80 minutes is a real struggle.

Just take the freak result, wipe the skate clean and move on.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I think the double punishment is harsh - pen and red card. Wish they would change the rule to a yellow card and pen

They only changed the rules in 2016, you only get a red card when you don't make a genuine attempt at playing the ball.

• Advertisement

See Arsenal ref was the same one who also missed the Mane elbow on Tierney. They ain't happy.

Augme wrote: »
    Calling for the manager to be sacked after a 9-0 result seems extremely knee jerk unless you'd be saying the same thing if he lost 3-0. Obviously 9-0 looks terrible but down to 10 men's for well over 80 minutes is a real struggle.

Just take the freak result, wipe the skate clean and move on.

Especially when he turned them around totally after the same result before.

Is anyone actually calling for his head seriously though? I kinda doubt it given how well he's done with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I see most of the VAR discussion is about the offside and red card decisions. What are people's opinions on VAR giving Utd a free on the edge of the box rather than a penalty? To me it seemed like an obvious penalty, the foul happened on the line which is part of the penalty area. And when VAR was reviewing it the still images seemed to clearly indicate it was a penalty. No clue why VAR didn't award one.

I see most of the VAR discussion is about the offside and red card decisions. What are people's opinions on VAR giving Utd a free on the edge of the box rather than a penalty? To me it seemed like an obvious penalty, the foul happened on the line which is part of the penalty area. And when VAR was reviewing it the still images seemed to clearly indicate it was a penalty. No clue why VAR didn't award one.

i would guess (which IMO is the problem with ref's), is that the game was up so an inconsequential decision.

unless i am missing something, as you say, the foul was in the box.

this is asked genuinely....can a liverpool supporter give a reason why no peno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thought the Martial one was probably a penalty under the laws of the game, but not the kind of thing most football people think 'should' be a penalty.

Martial stopped his normal stride so his leg would remain in the space Bednarek was moving in to. For me that crosses a line into engineering contact, and he was already going down before the contact took place.

But none of that is in the laws I guess.

i would guess (which IMO is the problem with ref's), is that the game was up so an inconsequential decision.

unless i am missing something, as you say, the foul was in the box.

this is asked genuinely....can a liverpool supporter give a reason why no peno?

Why a Liverpool supporter? :confused:

Thought it was a pen myself anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

VAR is really proving to be a disaster for close offside calls. Can they not have a clear and obvious threshold? The red cards for the penalties tonight were also a joke. Should just be yellow unless it's egregious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

bangkok wrote: »
    9-0 wow. Dont see that too often in the premier league. Ruthless tonight

Becoming increasingly common though.
    This season one, teams have scored 9,8,7 twice, off the top of my head. Add to that, and notwithstanding some teams don't want the ball, very often teams will have 75% plus possession.

Unheard of up to the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

adaminho wrote: »

So, no proof of Martial saying it, just an upset and frustrated defender making a comment in anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As bad as Var was last night it had no impact on the out come of the game

One other thing the absolute state of Anthony Martial diving at 6 - 0, Theres a man with no substance to him in my opinion

Its clear that diving is something United must speak about as a team as it happens far to often, Only a month ago you had Pogba clearly gesturing Shaw that he should have dived,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

vetinari wrote: »
    VAR is really proving to be a disaster for close offside calls. Can they not have a clear and obvious threshold? The red cards for the penalties tonight were also a joke. Should just be yellow unless it's egregious.

Marginal offsides shouldn’t be considered offside imo. The entire point of the rule is to stop the attacker gaining an unfair advantage, so if the player is marginally offside then I think it’s safe to assume that the player hasn’t gained an advantage and play would have continued the same way if they had been a few millimetres behind.

VAR in general is maddening in the PL because it blatantly hasn’t been developed properly. Every week we see scenarios being handled differently or incorrectly, and sometimes the decisions are completely at odds with common sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement