Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Huge win for Brighton, Liverpool first defending champions to not score for 3 home games in about 20 years for the stupid stat of the evening from BT

Why didn't Thiago play?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Brilliant stuff on show tonight, really happy to see Lingard get a debut goal.

Dunno about anyone else but I've a hankering to watch Forest Gump now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

2 horse race between the Manchester clubs. Liverpool looking at top 4 now. Not good.

SlickRic wrote: »
    City aren't losing this.

Too consistent.

Only full strength Liverpool can compete for consistency.

Signing Dias has turned out to be a decisive move alright the stability he has brought to the defence has been outstanding, best defender in the league this year I think.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Commentators on BT sounding as if they were at a wake there the last 10 minutes.

Decent result for Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Great result for Brighton. I'd still say Liverpool are in it but they'll need City to slip up a few times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Brighton deserved the win. Good defence and broke forward too. Haven't conceeded in a club record time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Don't like Graham potter but he deserves a lot credit for those past 2 wins.

This is it wrote: »
    Great result for Brighton. I'd still say Liverpool are in it but they'll need City to slip up a few times.

Very important they don't lose to City, be well capable of turning up and beating them obviously and City will play their own game - not set up to frustrate like Brighton and Burnley which will suit pool more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

West Ham kind of under the radar hoovering around top 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

fyfe79 wrote: »
    2 horse race between the Manchester clubs. Liverpool looking at top 4 now. Not good.

One of those horses has Frankie Dettori as a jockey the other Frankie Boyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Europa leauge for Liverpool
    They are terrible at lately

I didn't get to see it the wife wanted to watch the new Tom Hanks film "A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood" (great film) so missed it apart from the last five minutes i heard the commentator mention that a shot was liverpools first one on target all game.

Must win game for Pool the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Why didn't Thiago play?

Please don't tell me he's injured now! Why didn't he play?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

City will romp to the title now.

But top 4 looks like it's wide open this year. With Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all having such relatively awful seasons, it will be interesting to see how Leicester, West Ham and Everton do. Genuine chance for two non-traditional top 4 teams to make it through to CL football, and two or three of the usual suspects to miss Europe completly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Why didn't Thiago play?

They wanted to win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    City will romp to the title now.

They have Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Utd in their next 5 games.
    Plenty of potential for dropped points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They have Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Utd in their next 5 games.
    Plenty of potential for dropped points.

They'll beat Pool, Spurs and Arsenal on current form. Hope I'm wrong, but can see them getting 9/9 from them.

jayo26 wrote: »

Must win game for Pool the weekend.

No, it's done. I'd be reasonably confident of Liverpool beating City on Sunday, but I'd be more certain of them dropping points in the following games against whoever.

I was certain at the start of the season that Liverpool would finish in the top 2, now I think there's little chance of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They'll beat Pool, Spurs and Arsenal on current form. Hope I'm wrong, but can see them getting 9/9 from them.

I think Liverpool will give them a game despite tonight’s performance, Mourinho always has a chance against a Pep team no matter how poor Tottenham’s form is, and yeah they should beat Arsenal comfortably. Fully expect them to beat West Ham too but United will be a proper challenge for them. Win that derby and they have the league wrapped up IMO.

• What a difference a week makes eh?
    Read that last week too

Glorious result for Brighton!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I wouldn't count on that .
    They are due a blip and they are nowhere near as good a side as they were the last few seasons.
    City have had a very easy run of fixtures for the last 10 weeks.

No, it's done. I'd be reasonably confident of Liverpool beating City on Sunday, but I'd be more certain of them dropping points in the following games against whoever.

I was certain at the start of the season that Liverpool would finish in the top 2, now I think there's little chance of it.

I meant must win game to keep them in top 4.

Be a huge confidence blow for the players against the manager if they drop down to fifth or sixth in the next couple weeks with Everton and The Hammers ahead of them.

• Brilliant stuff on show tonight, really happy to see Lingard get a debut goal.

Dunno about anyone else but I've a hankering to watch Forest Gump now.

Life surely is like a box of chocolates....never know which one you might get

Great to see Jesse get a goal for West Ham too, wonder will Moyes stick with him next game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Moyes doing a brilliant job with west ham. Delighted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wouldn't count on that .
    They are due a blip and they are nowhere near as good a side as they were the last few seasons.
    City have had a very easy run of fixtures for the last 10 weeks.

City have the lead now and are well able to see it out. They don't need to go chasing games. It suits them perfectly. Can get a few draws in the next few weeks and this on.

The way City are playing, they are just getting the early goal and conserving energy. Based on a strong and settled defence, they are able to just wear down teams with their possession game.

The ability to be able to rotate here and there every game with their big squad is a massive bonus too. The drop in quality in rotation is not as big. Fernandinho in for Rodri, Mahrez, Foden or Walker in for Cancelo, Sterling & Bernando etc. Little changes to everyone ticking along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Life surely is like a box of chocolates....never know which one you might get

Great to see Jesse get a goal for West Ham too, wonder will Moyes stick with him next game

2 goals he scored.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

City have added a lot of good players to an already strong base.

Rodri, Cancelo and Dias all joined in the last season and a half. Foden has broken through, they signed Torres and Ake (who got injured) also this summer.

To go on a 9 game winning streak while conceding just one goal is impressive enough but to do it with the schedule so busy is a real sign of the squad strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sky documentaries in 20 minutes lads, a must watch.

Be a huge confidence blow for the players against the manager if they drop down to fifth or sixth in the next couple weeks with Everton and The Hammers ahead of them.

Not really. Needing to beat Man City, with half the season left, to finish top 4 while sitting in 4th?

Let's put aside the nonsense please. If Liverpool have ANY hopes of the title, they must win. Do you think if they fail to beat City on Sunday that they'll certainly finish outside the top 4? That's what a "must win" means.

They are league, European and World champions. I'm sure they will get over it. You have to take the lows with the highs.

• Advertisement

• Another poor poor game for Thiago in a liverpool shirt too

His fouling is irritating too, hopefully refs will start coping to it

Not really. Needing to beat Man City, with half the season left, to finish top 4 while sitting in 4th?

Let's put aside the nonsense please. If Liverpool have ANY hopes of the title, they must win. Do you think if they fail to beat City on Sunday that they'll certainly finish outside the top 4? That's what a "must win" means.

Excuse me whats nonsense exactly??

If they fail to beat City and are outside the top four yes it will damage team moral and cracks will get wider and players start looking around for someone to blame.

It's laughable to think the only thing riding on the weekend game is a title win, klopp has been here before at Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another poor poor game for Thiago in a liverpool shirt too

He was bought to play with Henderson and fabinho not shaqiri, milner and wijnaldum. There is no comparison in quality there

Excuse me whats nonsense exactly??

If they fail to beat City and are outside the top four yes it will damage team moral and cracks will get wider and players start looking around for someone to blame.

It's laughable to think the only thing riding on the weekend game is a title win, klopp has been here before at Dortmund.

That's fine, jayo. Fancy a charity bet? If Liverpool fail to win against City, the bet becomes active. You reckon they'll fail to get top 4. I reckon they will. Something small, say €10?

Another poor poor game for Thiago in a liverpool shirt too

I looked at your posts, 37% of them in the 2 months have mentioned thiago in them. Whats with the obsession with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

niallo27 wrote: »
    Sky documentaries in 20 minutes lads, a must watch.

What’s on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liverpool beaten at Anfield again.

What was the record that time?

That's fine, jayo. Fancy a charity bet? If Liverpool fail to win against City, the bet becomes active. You reckon they'll fail to get top 4. I reckon they will. Something small, say €10?

I'll happily do a bet for charity no problem at all but i didnt say they wont make top four it's a must win game for confidence and to keep the players onside, if they lose to city and end up outside top four then the job gets very hard.

**** that how about a grand. See how big his balls are.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Liverpool beaten at Anfield again.

What was the record that time?

Man you support Arsenal. I don't actually need to say anymore.

spurshero wrote: »
    What’s on

The end of the storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

rob316 wrote: »
    He was bought to play with Henderson and fabinho not shaqiri, milner and wijnaldum. There is no comparison in quality there

I would have thought a world class player wouldn't need at least two other players to make him look good tbh. Beginning to look like shrewd business from Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

I looked at your posts, 37% of them in the 2 months have mentioned thiago in them. Whats with the obsession with him.

Talk about someone having an obsession....:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The end of the storm.

I’ll give the first hour a look but switching to Sky Cinema after midnight to watch The Dead Pool. Love Clint Eastwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

If that's a real statistic then there is two obsessions going on :D

• Advertisement

• I would have thought a world class player wouldn't need at least two other players to make him look good tbh. Beginning to look like shrewd business from Munich.
    Very much so yes

duffman13 wrote: »
    If that's a real statistic then theirs only two obsessions going on :D

Yep totally agree.

I would have thought a world class player wouldn't need at least two other players to make him look good tbh. Beginning to look like shrewd business from Munich.

Reminds me of the Bastian Sweinsteiger move in my opinion.

Indeed Niallo, indeed.

Edit: Davemckenna beat me to it, but clearly the point stands out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Reminds me of the Bastian Sweinsteiger move in my opinion.

It's nothing like Bastian. He was older and no longer a key player. Thiago was offered a new contract he declined for be a new challenge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement