Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'll happily do a bet for charity no problem at all but i didnt say they wont make top four it's a must win game for confidence and to keep the players onside, if they lose to city and end up outside top four then the job gets very hard.

You said it's a must win. Then you clarified, after I spoke of the title, that you meant top 4. I called that nonsense which you disagreed with. Hence the bet.

In fact, I'll go one further than top 4 - if Liverpool fail to beat City on Sunday, I think they'll still at least finish 3rd. So if Liverpool finish 4th or lower, you win the bet.

I'm not a gambler, btw, and that's why I only said a tenner, but I think it's strange to suggest this team could finish outside the top 4 when players are coming back from injury and CB's have been signed which will push our main midfielders back into their preferred positions. Just my opinion, obviously.

All just a bit of fun.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Bastian Sweinsteiger move in my opinion.

Munich are very clever in that regards. Seem to be able to spot the ability of slow downward spirals of player performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I would have thought a world class player wouldn't need at least two other players to make him look good tbh. Beginning to look like shrewd business from Munich.

Make him look good? You can't play in midfield on your own. Milner is 35 and shaqiri just floats around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Munich are very clever in that regards. Seem to be able to spot the ability of slow downward spirals of player performance

Yep Munich are well pleased now I say. They are no fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

rob316 wrote: »
    It's nothing like Bastian. He was older and no longer a key player. Thiago was offered a new contract he declined for be a new challenge.

He declined because they didn't value him enough to pay him what he thought he was worth and liverpool did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yep Munich are well pleased now I say. They are no fools.

27% of your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

After 3 games in a week for Milner you’d wonder what Klopp is thinking leaving Jones out. Similar to the spells at Mainz and Dortmund he doesn’t seem to spot when lads are gassed and need a break.

Its starting, shut the **** about thiago and watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

rob316 wrote: »
    It's nothing like Bastian. He was older and no longer a key player. Thiago was offered a new contract he declined for be a new challenge.

Schweini was 30 going on 31 when he signed for United. Thiago Alcântara do Nascimento will be 30 in April, hardly a massive age difference. Munich very rarely let players go that they want to keep, offering a contract means damn all these days, id imagine he is getting more loot from lfc than they were prepared to offer given his age profile and injury record. Like I said, looking like a shrewd bit of business.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    You said it's a must win. Then you clarified, after I spoke of the title, that you meant top 4. I called that nonsense which you disagreed with. Hence the bet.

In fact, I'll go one further than top 4 - if Liverpool fail to beat City on Sunday, I think they'll still at least finish 3rd. So if Liverpool finish 4th or lower, you win the bet.

I'm not a gambler, btw, and that's why I only said a tenner, but I think it's strange to suggest this team could finish outside the top 4 when players are coming back from injury and CB's have been signed which will push our main midfielders back into their preferred positions. Just my opinion, obviously.

All just a bit of fun.

As I've said ive no problem with a bet for charity its all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »
    27% of your posts.

Only 27%?

Fuvk it I have get my act together pronto.

As I've said ive no problem with a bet for charity its all good.

Ya ill do a bet with ya. See how big your balls are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He declined because they didn't value him enough to pay him what he thought he was worth and liverpool did.

It's reported he's on similar to Bayern and a 4 year contract just like Bayern offered him. You'll have to try harder here than post lazy analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Niallo you sound like you are snappin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Only 27%?

Fuvk it I have get my act together pronto.

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What’s the obsession with Male genitalia?

Ill pm you hun

Don't mind me, im pissed off my tits. Good win for the toffees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Definitely on the batter, wouldnt blame him either tbh but he's giving a laugh :)

• Advertisement

It's only the FA Cup, but do you not think that him ducking out of the way of Bruno's winning freekick was...not what you want to see from your talisman CM? Like, I don't see Milner doing that.

Pogba put his hands up to protect his face from a shot and conceded a penalty late last season. Think it was v West Ham and we lost.

I loathe the above kind of cowardice, no matter what other qualities a player may or may not have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

He reportedly took a lower wage from Liverpool than what Munich were offering;

https://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/liverpool-fc-transfer-news/2020/7/8/21317090/liverpool-fc-transfer-news-agree-personal-terms-bayern-munich-midfielder-thiago-alcantara

duffman13 wrote: »
    Definitely on the batter, wouldnt blame him either tbh but he's giving a laugh :)

It's a Wednesday, lockdowm. What else is there to do. I don't blame ye for giving us ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Thiago is the Brazilian Glenn Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Man City 1/4
    Man Utd 12/1
    Liverpool 16/1
    Leicester 66/1
    Others 200/1 and bigger
    The bookies believe its all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Niallo talking about balls, now you're talking about shaved balls.... this thread is going full Debbie Does Dallas.

• Advertisement

Well if he was prepaired to take 135k a week and ended up getting 200k a week the pool negotiator needs to brush up on his skills. Even Ed woodward wouldn't do that.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on a fan page.

You're on 16%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

4 points separating 2nd and 5th. You'd swear it was 24 points by some comments in here.

Anywhere back to Villa in 9th are within 6 points if they win their games in hand.

16 games to go. 2 games can change it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bayern wanted Thiago to stay. He wanted a new challenge. Fairly widely reported at the time by all the usual reliable suspects.

He's been a bit unlucky in that he got an almost 3 month injury from a bad tackle in one of his first games and once healthy has had to fit into a constantly changing injury riddled side.

Fitz* wrote: »
    4 points separating 2nd and 5th. You'd swear it was 24 points by some comments in here.

Anywhere back to Villa in 9th are within 6 points if they win their games in hand.

16 games to go. 2 games can change it all.

I agree with your overall point, but there are 6 points now separating 2nd and 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Weird stats from Liverpool v Brighton

Henderson had 112 passes, Milner had 81, Thiago had 90.

Gini Wijnaldum had just 27, I know he did not play the full game but he is still way behind.

Is he normally that peripheral or is it a case of Liverpool not actually needing a third midfielder when they really needed another forward?

On another note the defenders had some game for Brighton. Bissouma looks like a player who will be in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Nobody talking about the champions elect winning 1-2 away to Leeds. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wijnaldum seems to have gone from a key cog in the engine room and a fan favourite to not being good enough to offer support to their shiny new toy in midfield.

Football is a fickle ol' game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A handy game at the weekend for Liverpool will surely Brighton up your week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

DM_7 wrote: »
    Weird stats from Liverpool v Brighton

Henderson had 112 passes, Milner had 81, Thiago had 90.

Gini Wijnaldum had just 27, I know he did not play the full game but he is still way behind.

Is he normally that peripheral or is it a case of Liverpool not actually needing a third midfielder when they really needed another forward?

On another note the defenders had some game for Brighton. Bissouma looks like a player who will be in demand.

He's never usually high in passing numbers anyways as he's more of a shielder/runner in midfield. Great at making space for others by dragging opposition out of position with runs between the lines. He's not exactly a player who recycles possession. More, smart in possession and retains it when needs be. Plus, he was playing as holding midfielder tonight but that doesn't really change anything.

But overall that low number is an end result of him being wrecked. He looked wrecked tonight. He didn't really get on the ball as if he did, he didn't do anything with it as he looked out on his feet and didn't have the energy to do his usual burst or quick turn into space. Unable to do his usual running after having to play every game for months as the only consistently fit midfielder in Liverpool's squad.

It's one of the by products of the cascade of injuries every other game. There was a run of games where Liverpool played every 3/4 days and the only fit midfielders were Gini, Jones & Milner. Then Keita got fit but at the same that Milner got injured and it was just Gini, Jones & Keita. Then Keita got injured and it was just Gini, Hendo & Jones. And so on. Gini constantly the fit experienced midfielder so had to play. And in a team that was often containing multiple teenagers such as Williams, Williams, Jones or players like Philips etc, experienced heads like him were needed. You get the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thiago has ruined everything that was great about liverpool. Quick fire play into the strikers. When henderson is in the middle it's as quick as he can go Mane, Salah or Firmino. When thiago gets it and everyone passes it to him as you could closely hear Klopp yell the other week the game just slows down. Defenses get a breath, regroup and shut down the space behind.

I said he wasnt a liverpool player and was a very strange buy.

Would be a great player for City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Life surely is like a box of chocolates....never know which one you might get

Great to see Jesse get a goal for West Ham too, wonder will Moyes stick with him next game
    I cannot see any reason why he wouldn't. He replaced Bowen whose form hasn't been great lately and was fantastic last night. He got a bit lucky with both goals as the keeper probably should have done better but nonetheless, an excellent debut and the first West Ham player since Trevor Sinclair to score twice on their debut. He, Antonio and Benrahma seemed to have an instant connection.

Tomas Soucek is surely the signing of the season so far (even if we did have him on loan at the end of last season). £15 million and he's the top scoring midfielder in the league this season when goals from penalties are discounted. Coufal isn't too far behind. He nullified Grealish for most of the game yesterday.

We're now just one point off the number of points we finished on last season, with 16 games to go. It's already our best start to the season since 1985-86 (when we finished 3rd). Moyes has really proven a lot of people wrong this season, West Ham fans and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Firstly Thaigo is not the problem

He did not play in the lose to Villa or the draws to Fulham,Brighton (away) Westbrom and was only a sub at Newscastle and since has come into a more injury hit side that played in any of them games,

Liverpool are in bad form that is clear but as iv been saying in the Liverpool thread they just need to try hang on in there for another 2 weeks ,Hopefully by then a whole host of lads will be back and we will be fresher

You have all heard the complaints about the injuries but the bigger impact last night was the guys who where available where absolutely knackered , On top of injuries the midfield was shot

Thiago came back from 4 months out and has had to play every single came no bedding, in no rest, 7 time in a month ,
    Milner at 35 played 4 games in 22 weeks ,
    Gini has played every game since the beginning of time at this stage

The played great against Spurs & Westham back on form but then could not freshen things up last night and it was clear they where knackered ,

Klopp has defiantly got things wrong to no question like last night he should have opted for Jones and Ox over Milner & Shaq just to liven midfield and add pace,

The league is gone but in the next 2 weeks we should see Alisson ,Fab,Keita, Jota ,Mane return, The new CB's play and Henderson move into midfield, Tsimakas may also finally fit,

That will not only improve us but also give us the chance to rotate and keep fresh ,

Iv been saying for a month I expect Liverpool to go on a good run from march on its just about keeping as close as they can at the moment

Not going to win the league but big push for to four to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

All just a bit of fun.

There seems to be this obsession with the CBs being signed and the lads that are there going back into midfield. That's a real bonus as long as the CBs you signed are any good and can settle quickly. One is young player on loan coming in from abroad who will probably take time to settle, the other is a lad from Preston so who knows how he'll adapt to the PL. I wouldn't count on these signings turning Livepool's season around. Jota coming back would be much more important imo.

Actually iv always wondered does he consider himself Brazilian , Italian or Spanish.....Thiago not Glenn Whelan

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    There seems to be this obsession with the CBs being signed and the lads that are there going back into midfield. That's a real bonus as long as the CBs you signed are any good and can settle quickly. One is young player on loan coming in from abroad who will probably take time to settle, the other is a lad from Preston so who knows how he'll adapt to the PL. I wouldn't count on these signings turning Livepool's season around. Jota coming back would be much more important imo.

Fabhino won't go back into midfield but Henderson will which is very big for Liverpool

Jota and Keita (if he stays fit) will be key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Fabhino won't go back into midfield but Henderson will which is very big for Liverpool

Jota and Keita (if he stays fit) will be key

When we were being told about all Liverpool's injuries and how they are the worst the EPL has ever seen, one of the major ones was that you lost Fabinho from midfield. Now you're saying he won't even play in midfield. :confused:

Quazzie wrote: »
    When we were being told about all Liverpool's injuries and how they are the worst the EPL has ever seen, one of the major ones was that you lost Fabinho from midfield. Now you're saying he won't even play in midfield. :confused:

I agree he is a massive miss but there is no way Klopp will thrown the two new lads in CB together , One is 20 and one is championship player,

Unfortunately it'll be Fabhino plus one at the back for the rest of the season,

Henderson will move back into midfield ,

• I cannot see any reason why he wouldn't. He replaced Bowen whose form hasn't been great lately and was fantastic last night. He got a bit lucky with both goals as the keeper probably should have done better but nonetheless, an excellent debut and the first West Ham player since Trevor Sinclair to score twice on their debut. He, Antonio and Benrahma seemed to have an instant connection.

Tomas Soucek is surely the signing of the season so far (even if we did have him on loan at the end of last season). £15 million and he's the top scoring midfielder in the league this season when goals from penalties are discounted. Coufal isn't too far behind. He nullified Grealish for most of the game yesterday.

We're now just one point off the number of points we finished on last season, with 16 games to go. It's already our best start to the season since 1985-86 (when we finished 3rd). Moyes has really proven a lot of people wrong this season, West Ham fans and others.
    Jesse required a move as he just had couldn't get his performances right when given opportunities by Ole, in fairness he game him plenty before dropping him which he was right to do. I'd like to hope he recovers some of the good form he shown in a Utd shirt previously. Good start for him last night.

On Moyes, It's early days but probably his best stint at management since the Everton days? I didn't expect to see West Ham anywhere near top 6 to be honest.

Jesse required a move as he just had couldn't get his performances right when given opportunities by Ole, in fairness he game him plenty before dropping him which he was right to do. I'd like to hope he recovers some of the good form he shown in a Utd shirt previously. Good start for him last night.

On Moyes, It's early days but probably his best stint at management since the Everton days? I didn't expect to see West Ham anywhere near top 6 to be honest.

I reckon Lingaurd will do well at Westham,

He won't be expected to be brilliant every week but he is good enough that when he performs he will look like there best player,

Clubs like Westham he is more likely to keep his place after two or three a poor game's ,Where at United you have to perform every week ,

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Wow, what a result last night for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club!

Coming in to the game one place above the relegation zone it was always going to be a tough test against the champions.

Credit to Brighton for a well worked goal. They exploited absolutely brutal defending by Alexander Arnold which allowed Daniel Johnson Burn a free header to create the goal.

Liverpool are undoubtedly missing Fabinho in midfield. Thiago despite being brilliant on the ball, is not offering much off it. The persistent and tactical fouls usually evident in his game were even absent last night.

Brighton were good value for the win as liverpool registered only one shot on target at home. Unbelievably for this liverpool team this made it three league games at Anfield without a goal. This includes back to back defeats to Burnley and Brighton. In fact their last league goal there came on December 27th 2020 in a 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion Football Club.

After two absolutely brilliant wins in London against Spurs and West Ham this is a huge blow for Liverpool. I saw afterwards Klopp said his side were mentally fatigued, a far cry from the mentality monsters we’ve grown used to. I still can’t believe he played such a strong team in that FA cup game against Aston Villa’s youth side.

After a first league title in thirty years or so Liverpool will now need a win against Man City at the weekend to have any chance of defending the title. Meanwhile cross city neighbours Everton will be looking to capitalise on their two games in hand and go above Liverpool.

It’s a crazy season. Man City are now in a strong position to run away with it. Although this season we could see more twists and turns, possibly even starting this weekend at Anfield!

505_ wrote: »
    Wow, what a result last night for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club!

Coming in to the game one place above the relegation zone it was always going to be a tough test against the champions.

Credit to Brighton for a well worked goal. They exploited absolutely brutal defending by Alexander Arnold which allowed Daniel Johnson Burn a free header to create the goal.

Liverpool are undoubtedly missing Fabinho in midfield. Thiago despite being brilliant on the ball, is not offering much off it. The persistent and tactical fouls usually evident in his game were even absent last night.

Brighton were good value for the win as liverpool registered only one shot on target at home. Unbelievably for this liverpool team this made it three league games at Anfield without a goal. This includes back to back defeats to Burnley and Brighton. In fact their last league goal there came on December 27th 2020 in a 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion Football Club.

After two absolutely brilliant wins in London against Spurs and West Ham this is a huge blow for Liverpool. I saw afterwards Klopp said his side were mentally fatigued, a far cry from the mentality monsters we’ve grown used to. I still can’t believe he played such a strong team in that FA cup game against Aston Villa’s youth side.

After a first league title in thirty years or so Liverpool will now need a win against Man City at the weekend to have any chance of defending the title. Meanwhile cross city neighbours Everton will be looking to capitalise on their two games in hand and go above Liverpool.

It’s a crazy season. Man City are now in a strong position to run away with it. Although this season we could see more twists and turns, possibly even starting this weekend at Anfield!

Was Trent defending really that poor ?

Firstly there was no pressure out on the cross, Robbo and Firmino both left it to each other and your man got far to much time to pick the cross out ,

Then Philips stepped towards Tossard in front of him , So Trent had to step in to watch Mupay who was behind Philips in front of Trent ,

That left Burn free at the back but if Trent had of went back to Burn then Mupay would have been free 3 yards from goal , Trent done the correct thing he had to step into the gap that was left by Phillips and watch Mupay the immediate threat ,
    Don't forget Burns is the full back someone should have came with him ,

The problem was Brighton created an over load and Philips misread Burns header and booted against Alzate ,
    Also who was picking up Alzate run ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Don't worry. Keita is going to be saviour.

An injury-prone player who hasn't exactly justified his price tag even when fit is suddenly the second coming of Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

West Ham have been a huge shock this season. I thought that teams like Villa and west ham were doing well because the teams ahead of them were dealing with such compacted schedules and they would eventually fall away.

But there has been no European games for a few months and everyone is dealing with the same schedule so maybe they have just significantly improved.

• Advertisement

Don't worry. Keita is going to be saviour.

An injury-prone player who hasn't exactly justified his price tag even when fit is suddenly the second coming of Gerrard.

He doesn't have to be the second coming of Gerrard, just a good decent player
    If he stays fit getting himself and Henderson as options in midfield allows us to keep the midfield fresh ,
    Last night they could barley run , the 3 lads where in a heap,

Klopp obviously doesn't trust Jones but he is a kid his time will come ,
    Ox seems to have forgotten how to play he has had a huge fall off, I reckon he will be moved on,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement