Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes uncle bens rice so special

Options
  • 01-02-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

Im a big rice consumer, probably 4-5 of my dinners a week are rice based, as such the rice cooker is no.1 kitchen appliance. My issue is I've tried many other long grain rices but just nothing compares to uncle bens standard long grain. I find other long grain rices particularly in Asia market etc.. always sticks together way more, the uncle bens comes out fluffy and not sticky and its exactly what I want ,

is there a trick I'm missing or something unique to uncle bens that makes it turn out perfect...every time..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Uncle Ben's long grain rice is supposedly par boiled to remove the starch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ongarite wrote: »

Yes, this.

You need to rinse the rice seven times, so that the water runs clear.

I also dry fry the rice first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ongarite wrote: »

And all the flavour.

Awful, tasteless stuff.

And why does rice clumping together any bit upset so many Irish people? I much, much prefer a degree of stickiness in rice.

I actually blame long grain white rice for so many Irish people not liking rice - it's because all they've tasted is Uncle Ben's!

Thai fragrant rice ftw!

Advertisement