Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH + Ubiquiti

Options
  • 01-02-2021 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi folks.

2 questions regarding FTTH + Ubiquiti.

I am current doing a renovation to the house so perfect time to lay some cat6 throughout the place; I am planning on installing Ubiquiti throughout. Additionally it looks like FTTH is available in my area and am thinking of going with VF when the time comes. Can anyone offer some insight on the below please?

1) I want to run a connection from the point of demarc to my rack. Should I just run ethernet and leave the router close by or what cable does it use from the demarc point to the supplied router that I could run?

2) With either Eir or VF FTTH, is there an option to allow Ubiquiti to do my routing either via PPPoE or bridging the router or will I have to keep the router active and just use Ubiquiti to do Wireless? Want to avoid double NATing but not sure what's involved here.

Appreciate any support anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Alan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Wierdal,

Hope the renovation goes well. If you are running cables make sure you run two cables at least to every point where you want at least one. If you need two points in a room, then run three cables. The logic is that it is easy to run cables when you are doing the renovation work but a pain in the ass to try and run one after, if for some reason the cable gets damaged and you need to replace it.

When they install SIRO they install a small fibre cable which runs, in my case, from the ESB box outside the house into the house. They drilled a hole, ran the fibre cable, and then ran the fibre cable to where my old DSL line router was. It needs to be near a double socket as the SIRO box needs power seperate from the router. A little SIRO box then coverts the Fibre into an ethernet cable which runs to the supplied router. In my case, I just connected one side of a Cat6 cable to the SIRO box and then the other into a network point beside it. In the attic, I use the UDM to link all connect all the cables around the house. Works perfectly.

I have Unified Dream Machine and it allowed me to replace the SIRO Router so I would presume you can do the same with the others. I think it would work the same with the Pro version too, which is rack mountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

wierdal wrote: »
    Hi folks.

2 questions regarding FTTH + Ubiquiti.

I am current doing a renovation to the house so perfect time to lay some cat6 throughout the place; I am planning on installing Ubiquiti throughout. Additionally it looks like FTTH is available in my area and am thinking of going with VF when the time comes. Can anyone offer some insight on the below please?

1) I want to run a connection from the point of demarc to my rack. Should I just run ethernet and leave the router close by or what cable does it use from the demarc point to the supplied router that I could run?

2) With either Eir or VF FTTH, is there an option to allow Ubiquiti to do my routing either via PPPoE or bridging the router or will I have to keep the router active and just use Ubiquiti to do Wireless? Want to avoid double NATing but not sure what's involved here.

Appreciate any support anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Alan

Ubiquiti is an excellent choice if you are doing refurb and installing Cat 6 cabling. You will probably bring all your Ethernet cables back to a hub, which need not necessarily be where your Router or ONT(Optical demarcation point) is. You will likely install a POE Ethernet switch at the hub, which will power all the APs. You just need a single Ethernet cable between your ONT and the Router and between the router and the switch. One advantage of colocating the ONT, Router and Ethernet switch in a single location is that you can easily add a small UPS to power your entire network (including Ubiquiti access points using POE). If you are in a rural area where ESB power can be dodgy, your entire home network and broadband can be kept alive during power outages if everything is on a UPS. If you have security cams powered POE, they can also be kept alive. Aside from power outages, burglars sometimes pull power to disable security cams and broadband. When OpenEir are installing your FTTH line, try to get them to run it all the way to your hub, if that is feasible.

Ubiquiti do have a router option, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to use it. If you dispense with your ISP router, then your ISP won't be able to provide you with support afterwards. If you keep your ISP router, they will manage it. Just use the Ubiquiti devices as APs, with the routing functions being provided by the ISP router. Switch off the WiFi in the ISP router, as your WiFi will be from the Ubiquiti APs.

If your refurb is to A-rated insulation standards, you may find that your mobile coverage is weakened by the foil in the insulation and the metallic film on the windows. If so, you should consider using WiFi calling within the home to ensure seamless coverage for phone calls and texts on your home WiFi network. The Ubiquiti mesh supports fast roaming, so there is clean in-call handoff when a mobile is moving from one AP to the next. Eir Mobile are the only operator who offer full WiFi calling on all bill-pay plans - while this doesn't mean you have to with Eir for your ISP - their mobile/fibre bundles are good value and I have never seen congestion on their network.

Advertisement