Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge or clumber for screen (grown in a box)

Options
  • 01-02-2021 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. South facing front garden, only 3 metres deep. Thinking of making a "box" on coasters to pull across the gate with some sort of hedge or climber grown in it to give a more private sunny place to sit out front.

Wondering what I should look to grow in the box. I like the idea of something like Portuguese laurel hegde, evergreen, simple, slightly "formal". But could this grow and sustain in a box for years? If the box was 2 or 3 feet deep, could it work?

If not, what else might work? Ideally a quick growing, thick plant. Could be a climber, ie i could put a trellis in the box.

Thoughts suggestions and warnings gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Portugese laurel would be too vigorous imo. It would outgrow the box. A box 2 to 3 ft deep and maybe 15inches across, and a gateway wide would be a bit massive and unwieldy, it would need several sets of very substantial casters or even wheels to move it, and some sort of handles as if you hauled on the edges you would eventually pull it apart, though its an interesting idea. Would you not consider a high solid gate?

Lonicera nitida might work in this sort of situation, it is fairly quick growing but it is manageable and easygoing, and can be clipped tight into a formal shape. You would have to clip it twice a season to keep it looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

looksee wrote: »
    Portugese laurel would be too vigorous imo. It would outgrow the box. A box 2 to 3 ft deep and maybe 15inches across, and a gateway wide would be a bit massive and unwieldy, it would need several sets of very substantial casters or even wheels to move it, and some sort of handles as if you hauled on the edges you would eventually pull it apart, though its an interesting idea. Would you not consider a high solid gate?

Lonicera nitida might work in this sort of situation, it is fairly quick growing but it is manageable and easygoing, and can be clipped tight into a formal shape. You would have to clip it twice a season to keep it looking good.

Thanks for the reply. I dont like the idea of a high gate, too many people with airs and graces around, high gates, keypad security entry!

Also, planning to grow something against the walls either side of the gate. The idea of the box on casters/wheels is to complete the look, so to speak. So a continuous line of hedge.

I looked at Lonicera nitida and it might be just the job, thanks. Would 2 foot of soil do it, do u think? Also, handles on the box is a great idea.

The bigger the box, the bigger the hedge. I would think that 2 ft would do it though. It would need drainage holes and some gravel in the bottom. If the box is 2 ft deep you only need about 4ft of hedge to give you 6ft of cover, and I would imagine that would be about the extent of what you would grow in a container.

You need to start trimming it when it is small rather than waiting till it is the height you want before you clip it. If you do that it will end up thin and straggly at the bottom. When it is a foot high, take off the top 4 inches, and a bit off the sides, and continue trimming as it grows to give you a nice thick hedge, it will not take any longer for the hedge to get to the size you want, by clipping it you stimulate growth.

It will need to be structurally sound as once you start moving something like this you are putting a lot of stress on it. You might be better to have it as two or even three shorter troughs so they are easier to move. If you had two you could pull them apart to frame the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

What are you going to use for the box? This is a nice idea but I think it's going to be very heavy especially when watered and you'll have to water it sometime. Something plastic wouldn't be strong enough to pull around but you could put it on a platform like those ones you get for moving heavy stuff around. Possibly have to make one though as most you buy as small enough, at least that way the actual containers would be light. If it's all made of timber it will be very heavy.

I'm trying to screen an oil tank at the moment and again it has to be something that can be moved out of the way, my preference would have been for a concrete planter of some sort so that it lasts but weight is the issue again. I'm going to go with plastic of some sort and probably bamboo to get the height I need, I know they will need a lot of watering though.

I have a lovely hedge of lonicera and it's a lovely shrub, easy to cut and shape too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

@phormium - for the box, I was planning using pressure treated 2x4s to create the structure (the base, and sides, bolt the castors onto), and then adding some sort of nicer looking ridged fencing/panelling to it front back and sides to hide the DIY! Nothing sophisticated, screws and wood, but should be sturdy.

I like @looksee idea of doing as 2 separate boxes, practical re weight/strain and might be nice when "open" too.

Good to have 2 recommendations for lonicera nitida.

• Advertisement

2x4 seems possibly a bit overkill for a box that size. Also remember that the sides will take the stress of soil weight and pressure from roots, so will need to be fairly sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

@phormium - for the box, I was planning using pressure treated 2x4s to create the structure (the base, and sides, bolt the castors onto), and then adding some sort of nicer looking ridged fencing/panelling to it front back and sides to hide the DIY! Nothing sophisticated, screws and wood, but should be sturdy.

I like @looksee idea of doing as 2 separate boxes, practical re weight/strain and might be nice when "open" too.

Good to have 2 recommendations for lonicera nitida.
    I as going to suggest that you would need to split it up, to make it manageable. If you actually break it down into four boxes you could make them bigger, thereby allowing you to grow a bigger hedge.

Advertisement