Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Trailer for 1 Child

Options
  • 01-02-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Hey..
    The young cailín is coming up to 2yrs old so it's time to start looking into options for taking her out with us when we go cycling.

We're agreed that a trailer is the best option (having both been lugged around the Ring of Kerry at some point on bike seats by our respective parents).

I've read some of the threads on here but can't find many up-to-date / applicable posts.

As I understand, some trailers connect via the wheel quick-release skewer. I usually ride a single speed mountain bike, however, which doesn't have quick releases. Is there a style that connects to the seat post? That would probably be ideal. That would give my other half the option of hitching up and going for a ride even if I'm not around and also give me the option of riding my road bike for longer spins with the trailer attached.

We generally ride on quiet local roads and greenways.

Any experiance / guidance appreciated.

Cheers,
    Nicholas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

My trailer has a hitch that connects at the skewer, but I think it would probably work on a single speed as well.
    Do you want to be pulling an extra load like that with a single speed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

The rides we normally do together are on flat roads and the single speed has low gearing so it would be grand.

But I wouldn't be interested in undoing the wheel every time on that bike in order to fit the trailer.

If needs be, I'llget one that hitches through the QR and use it with the road bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

There are adapters you can get like these ones that you secure a hitch mount to the skewer and then that gets left in place and you hitch the trailer to it when needed.

https://www.croozer.com/en/hitch-finder

https://www.bike-trailers.com.au/chariot-thule-ezi-hitch-attachment-for-2nd-bike.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

We have a 2 kid bike trailer, the Burley Encore. Currently plenty of space for our 18month and 4yr. It tows very well, bit of a workout on hills but on good flat grounds its fine. They both love getting into it and with a large boot in the back we can get our 4yr bike in it plus some bags.

It comes with a hitch that connects onto your rear wheel axle, be it QR or threaded. I use a combination of my MTB and CX bike towing it.

They are an investment, I recommend spending as much as you can. Our one is very safe: 5 point harness plus full aluminium space cage around the kids. I notice road vehicles give you more respect with the trailer on - they almost drive into the far ditch to pass you!!

https://www.burley.com/product/encore/

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement