Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Saddle

Options
  • 01-02-2021 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm staying on the fence in terms of buying a new bike this year, price increases are a bit OTT if you ask me.

anyway i got thinking about ways of reducing the weight of my own bike, and decided that i'd look at the saddle and pedals to begin with.

I have ordered the Look Keo 2 max carbon pedals and am now looking for a saddle, endurance type, current saddle is fizik aliante gamma with k:ium rails (265g according to google), so ideally looking to drop some weight. I saw the fizik tempo argo 1 saddle on the company's website, and according to it the weight is 195g. but a hefty price tag of 189 euros come with it.

any experience out there in terms this this type of upgrade? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Saddles are the last place i would go saving weight, as you could run down a rabbit hole of unnecessary discomfort.
    You could save weight for cheaper in the stem and around 100 grams for the same price in the bars tyres are another cheap upgrade that can save weight. Then theres most suggested wheels and you could also change out some bits of your groupset.

If you do want to change saddle bike24 were selling off some pro carbon saddles a while back if you could still pick one up. Or shop around second hand loads of people buying saddles and changing their minds
    There is generally 3 types of saddle based on flexibility going from flexible to upright theres also a 4th stubby nose type for aggresive aero positions on the bike, each brand usually have 1 off each in your ase the aliante is fiziks endurance/ less flexible option

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, buying that saddle works out at €2.70 for every gram saved (assuming you don't sell the other saddle to recoup costs).

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

yeah, buying that saddle works out at €2.70 for every gram saved (assuming you don't sell the other saddle to recoup costs).

Ha, lads & lassies we are kidding ourselves! Recoup costs indeed, we all know where that spare recouped cost ends up going - more bike stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Cutting the seat post could easily save you 40 or 50 grams if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

If you have a saddle you like, look at getting the lightest version of that. It's an expensive experiment otherwise.

Lots of weight can be shed from your wheels / tyres / tubes depending on what you're running.

Then, this handy groupset comparison document will help you decide what's worth doing:
    https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/2020-road-gravel-groupset-weight-comparison

All that said, for most of us, the most cost effective weight savings can be found by stripping the grease off the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

gaffmaster wrote: »
    If you have a saddle you like, look at getting the lightest version of that. It's an expensive experiment otherwise.

Lots of weight can be shed from your wheels / tyres / tubes depending on what you're running.

Then, this handy groupset comparison document will help you decide what's worth doing:
    https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/2020-road-gravel-groupset-weight-comparison

All that said, for most of us, the most cost effective weight savings can be found by stripping the grease off the engine.

Hi

The tempo argo R1 saddle is fizik's lighter version of my current saddle, i have the endurance type saddle for about 4 years now so won't be changing.

in terms of group set i have the ultegra mechanical 6800 and i'm happy with that. so perhaps the stem might be another option as mentioned and tyres as well. the wheel set is giant stock carbon, the set weight approx 1500g or thereabouts.

i've even seen videos online of guys changing out their hanger for a lighter carbon version of what they have. anyways i'll continue to have a look around and see what's out there.

Advertisement