Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance claims process

• 01-02-2021 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Is there a time period for which the driver who has admitted liability to a car accident has to fill out all documentation for their insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Is there a time period for which the driver who has admitted liability to a car accident has to fill out all documentation for their insurance company?

No. An insurer will always want to get their clients version of events. How much time they give him depends on the severity of the accident. Minor damage they will try and get a claim form for a few weeks then advise their client they will settle with the 3rd party and possibly seek recovery from him. For serious claims, forms are often waived and an investigator will take a statement from the driver in a formal meeting. The onus is still on the claimant to prove their case, but without a claim form to refute the allegation, the insurer is left with little to defend the claim

Failure to assist your insurer in handling a claim is a breach of policy conditions with serious consequences. A driver admitting liability carries very little weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Thanks for that,

Do you have to fill out a claim form if claiming from drivers insurance? I have not been asked to do this but l was asked to give details of what happened over the phone.

The drivers insurance company are sending out a company to inspect the damage.
    Do l have to make a detailed statement to them as to what happened or is their role just to inspect damage? If l get compensation how do l get car repaired? Is it done between garage and insurance company or would l be given a cheque to get it repaired myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Thanks for that,

Do you have to fill out a claim form if claiming from drivers insurance? I have not been asked to do this but l was asked to give details of what happened over the phone.

The drivers insurance company are sending out a company to inspect the damage.
    Do l have to make a detailed statement to them as to what happened or is their role just to inspect damage? If l get compensation how do l get car repaired? Is it done between garage and insurance company or would l be given a cheque to get it repaired myself?

I had very serious damage to my car years back .
    The other driver struck by car while travelling on his incorrect side of the road . I was left hanging for months as the other driver - just didn’t bother reporting the accident . Insurance companies do their own thing . Nothing you can do. Be sure to keep plenty of notes - weather conditions - dark - bright - maybe sketch showing road - while lines - etc - only that I had reported it to the Garda - after a lot of pleading - they called to him - not sure what happened- had comprehensive - no fault - excess to me. One thing to note. The guards have only one month to demand insurance - better to report it to make sure he actually has insurance - if not - your on your own - expenses wise

Be certain you , check with the details you have
    That his insurance is valid and in date

I reported it to drivers insurance, my insurance and garda. Surely there is a time limit on when a driver at fault has to fill out appropriate insurance document otherwise the whole thing could go on indefinitely? What info do you have to give drivers insurance co. Inspector when they come to inspect damage?

You only need to state your case, verbally or in writing, and back it up with whatever information or evidence you have. A claim form is a requirement under contract and you don't have a contract with the other drivers insurers

The purpose of the vehicle inspection is to verify the extent of the loss and see if it adds any clarification to the circumstances, points of impact etc.

The key to the process is establishing liability. If you have witnesses, dashcam, physical evidence, it will be a quick process. If it is a coming together on a narrow country road and both drivers sticking to different versions of events,it could be a long slog

If liability is estimated in your favour, you have the option of the insurer dealing with the garage directly or paying you. Either way, they will want to see the final invoice when repairs are complete

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I reported it to drivers insurance, my insurance and garda. Surely there is a time limit on when a driver at fault has to fill out appropriate insurance document otherwise the whole thing could go on indefinitely? What info do you have to give drivers insurance co. Inspector when they come to inspect damage?

I can only tell you what happened to me. I was very angry over it - as at that time - the driver bad enough he was at fault . I was thousands out of pocket if it transpired he had no insurance- guards kept saying - we called - he was not in - the insurance company - we need to wait for report - absolute joke and very stressful- I think you need to be certain he HAS insurance as your first step. Once he has - at least you have that assurance - best wishes

MISREAD - you say you reported it to the other parties insurance your fine so - liability will be decided by insurance companies themselves - that’s what happened in my case- I know it was at least a couple of months before the other driver completed a report as he is obliged to do - I was near involving a solicitor - as his delay was so frustrating- good luck

Bottom line is if you have enough verified information to back your version of events, his insurers will only wait a reasonable amount of time before settling with you to minimise the outlay. The other driver can expect action from his insurers after that for not cooperating

Advertisement