Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your Eir FTTC Router Set-up?

• 02-02-2021 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently got the new F3000 but thinking of moving away from Eir's router. I find the WiFi isn't reliable and sometimes just completely disconnects from all devices.

Has anyone replaced their router with Eir with decent results?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I recently got the new F3000 but thinking of moving away from Eir's router. I find the WiFi isn't reliable and sometimes just completely disconnects from all devices.

Has anyone replaced their router with Eir with decent results?
    FTTC routers perform three functions (1)VDSL modem, (2)Router, (3)Wi-Fi access point.

It is a mistake to replace the router in order simply to improve WiFi coverage in your home.

Just add a mesh WiFi system with as many access points as you require to cover your home seamlessly. Turn off the WiFi in the eir router, but leave it to do it's other jobs. If you have Cat5/6 wiring, I would recommend Ubiqiiti Unifi access points which can be powered off Ethernet. If you dont have wiring, go for Tplink Deco or equivalent, with WiFi backhaul between nodes. Allow for one AP in each room where you have a Smart TV. Configure your mesh system in AP mode so you dont have two routers creating conflicts in your network.

If you replace the eir router entirely, you will need to know how to support everything yourself, as the help desk won't be able to remotely manage your network. You will also need to keep your new router security patched etc, as it is your firewall. Your replacement router will likely also struggle to give you 5Ghz WiFi throughout your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Galaxybytes

FTTC routers perform three functions (1)VDSL modem, (2)Router, (3)Wi-Fi access point.

It is a mistake to replace the router in order simply to improve WiFi coverage in your home.

Just add a mesh WiFi system with as many access points as you require to cover your home seamlessly. Turn off the WiFi in the eir router, but leave it to do it's other jobs. If you have Cat5/6 wiring, I would recommend Ubiqiiti Unifi access points which can be powered off Ethernet. If you dont have wiring, go for Tplink Deco or equivalent, with WiFi backhaul between nodes. Allow for one AP in each room where you have a Smart TV. Configure your mesh system in AP mode so you dont have two routers creating conflicts in your network.

If you replace the eir router entirely, you will need to know how to support everything yourself, as the help desk won't be able to remotely manage your network. You will also need to keep your new router security patched etc, as it is your firewall. Your replacement router will likely also struggle to give you 5Ghz WiFi throughout your home.

Thanks babefish1990, you gave me a lot to think about. I've seen a few talk about how great the Ubiqiiti Unifi is. Currently, I have cat 6 wired but only to the internet point of entry. I think maybe the mesh WiFi system might be less of a headache than wiring the house for Unifi AP.

Whichever way I go, I'll keep the eir router and set it for bridge mode as suggested. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Thanks babefish1990, you gave me a lot to think about. I've seen a few talk about how great the Ubiqiiti Unifi is. Currently, I have cat 6 wired but only to the internet point of entry. I think maybe the mesh WiFi system might be less of a headache than wiring the house for Unifi AP.

Whichever way I go, I'll keep the eir router and set it for bridge mode as suggested. Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like WiFi mesh is right for you. Don't set the eir Router to bridge mode. Just toggle off the WiFi in it, and set the mesh WiFi to AP mode.

Advertisement