Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone calls from Outside the country

Options
  • 02-02-2021 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Question, i have no idea how they got my number but every 2 weeks or so i am getting a call from whats like a call center about investment opportunities. Originally it would show a UK number and i added them to a block list, then a call would come thru as private and again i would not answer them .

Lately they are now coming thru as Irish numbers. example one call showed as North Kerry Civic Amenity Site but when answered there was a change in connection for a few seconds and then it would go thru to the call centre.

How can they do this and is there anyway of stopping it.

Also some text messages services i received just show the name and have no number or place to go to stop them.

Is there anyway of stopping these.

many thanks

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can't see any possible way of blocking them, but no response is a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

kryan1 wrote: »
    Question, i have no idea how they got my number but every 2 weeks or so i am getting a call from whats like a call center about investment opportunities. Originally it would show a UK number and i added them to a block list, then a call would come thru as private and again i would not answer them .

Lately they are now coming thru as Irish numbers. example one call showed as North Kerry Civic Amenity Site but when answered there was a change in connection for a few seconds and then it would go thru to the call centre.

How can they do this and is there anyway of stopping it.

Also some text messages services i received just show the name and have no number or place to go to stop them.

Is there anyway of stopping these.

many thanks

Kevin

It's usually some cowboys based in India, you can try blocking the number but they'll always find a way, I've over 100 blocked numbers on my iphone but still get calls every so often.

Chances are you filled in some information online at some stage and your details were sold to a third party without your knowledge unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

I remember when caller ID (the ability to see the number of the person calling) was introduced, there was even an additional charge for that service.

Nowadays, becasue it's possible to spoof any number as the caller ID it's basically useless and should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DPC will absolutely refuse to even look in to this because you can't give them a contact number to call the company - and can't understand why you can't get this! Absolutely useless organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

I have been getting those calls constantly for the past few weeks started off as Irish numbers and then uk numbers amazing that nothing can be done with these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

I have been getting those calls constantly for the past few weeks started off as Irish numbers and then uk numbers amazing that nothing can be done with these

its a menace to be fair and there should be some sort of way to stop this. how can they operators allow u to change the appearance of your number/location. its mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

L1011 wrote: »
    DPC will absolutely refuse to even look in to this because you can't give them a contact number to call the company - and can't understand why you can't get this! Absolutely useless organisation.

It's a scam and usually from outside of the country and the numbers are probably cloned / leased. (I can rent a local number anywhere in Europe and call from anywhere in the world)

Dpc can't actually do anything without information.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Darc19 wrote: »
    It's a scam and usually from outside of the country and the numbers are probably cloned / leased. (I can rent a local number anywhere in Europe and call from anywhere in the world)

Dpc can't actually do anything without information.

Equivalent agencies in other countries have had the number block operators cut off by the telecoms regulator for breach of regs or, in rare cases, traced back to the actual scammer.

Over here they aren't interested in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Check if you are not paying for these calls / text messages. A year ago randomly i was getting 6 identical texts one after another with a weird "join our gym" advert. Of course, i ignored them. Thought that someone must have accidentally clicked the send button 6 times. But the following month it happened again and the next month again until i got the message right after to top up my credit cos i have an insufficient funds in my phone account. I was like WTF and checked my online account. It turned out that for each of these messages i was charged €2.5 so every month they were stealing €15 from me. I contacted my network "Three" but they said that i must have signed up for some weird stuff. So then i contacted ComReg and they advised me of my next steps. It turned out that it was a well known scam yet they were "working" legally. The Comreg gave me an email address to these scamers to where i had to email my complain to and demand all my money back and say that if the case is not resolved within 7 days then the ComReg will get involved. I nicely got all my stolen money back, almost €50. It still bothered me that it was a well known scam but they were allowed to operate in Ireland and they never made any fuss with returning the money to me. They never confirmed how they got my mobile number, they gave a ready to go "copy and paste" reply that the money will be returned to my phone credit within 7 days wjich they did.
    I only learnt about this scam cos they exhausted my phone credit (i am a pay as you go client) but how many other unsuspected customers are there where they are on bill pay? They also must be targeting randon mobile numbers and those who ask for money back will get it but how many are there who never will - easy cash for them. How is this freaking allowed is beyond me!

So you better check your online bill to confirm you dont pay for this scam from your own pocket, buddy.

Advertisement