Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low to no pressure in hot water taps

• 02-02-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I bought my house three years ago (built circa 1995) and since I moved in, I have very low to sometimes no pressure in all the hot water taps (kitchen, downstairs loo, utility, and main bathroom upstairs). When there's nothing coming from the hot water taps, I do the tried and trusted method of using the cold water tap (mains supply in the kitchen) to blow through the hot water lines by using the mixer tap in the kitchen (ie cover the outlet with my thumb, open the hot side and then open the cold water side). This works and I then get the hot water flowing again. However the pressure in the hot water lines is always poor. While I know its a gravity fed system, the pressure always ends up tailing off and then the water flow stops again until I repeat the above. Any idea what's causing this as it affects all the hot water taps in the house. I was thinking about getting a booster pump but I'd be worried that the 26 year old pipework might not hold up to an increase in pressure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

D13exile wrote: »
    I bought my house three years ago (built circa 1995) and since I moved in, I have very low to sometimes no pressure in all the hot water taps (kitchen, downstairs loo, utility, and main bathroom upstairs). When there's nothing coming from the hot water taps, I do the tried and trusted method of using the cold water tap (mains supply in the kitchen) to blow through the hot water lines by using the mixer tap in the kitchen (ie cover the outlet with my thumb, open the hot side and then open the cold water side). This works and I then get the hot water flowing again. However the pressure in the hot water lines is always poor. While I know its a gravity fed system, the pressure always ends up tailing off and then the water flow stops again until I repeat the above. Any idea what's causing this as it affects all the hot water taps in the house. I was thinking about getting a booster pump but I'd be worried that the 26 year old pipework might not hold up to an increase in pressure.
    Had a very similar problem and it turned out to be a Gate valve that was only partially open. Opened valve and hot water pressure back to normal. I thought it was the water pump. Hope all works out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Had a very similar problem and it turned out to be a Gate valve that was only partially open. Opened valve and hot water pressure back to normal. I thought it was the water pump. Hope all works out for you

Thanks. I checked all the valves and they are open fully. There are no isolator valves on the system either. I'm stumped tbh.

Advertisement