Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

murpho999 wrote: »
    It seems people can't have some fun just because times are tough.

Surely the most important type of times in which to make sure you have some fun. :)

I'm not particularly impressed by it but I don't condemn it either, because I don't see where the harm is, and maybe it does do some good. Outragerati gonna get outraged, of course, but it'll be something else triggering them next week. Best ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Samsgirl wrote: »
    The 5k limit is not exclusively for exercise.

Sure it was a dare, that makes it essential!

Good to see all the time spent in Copper Face Jack's didn't go to waste. Excellent moves from them.

Can't get over the all the moaning and utter begrudging from some people.

Anyhow, I'm done here. Enjoy being miserable.

If only there was a website like www.gov.ie where we could check that out!!

“people will be required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home“

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If only there was a website like www.gov.ie where we could check that out!!

“people will be required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home“

Mod:

Okay I think you've made your point. Feel free to discuss the Covid-19 restrictions further in the appropriate forum, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is entirely relevant that the people tasked with enforcing the national restrictions have released a video that shows them breaking those same restrictions.

It is directly relevant to the thread and to that video, no different than it would be to any video that shows the restrictions being broken during a time when we are so heavily restricted in our movements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I liked it. Watched it 3 times and thought Awwwwwwwwww....

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Some great other examples of this challenge on you tube this the best :)

https://youtu.be/TH4V-yHbJXk

Awww man the endorphins :D It's a lovely world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What's the Jerusalema bit about?
    Why the name and why the song?
    Does it have any particular significance?

For what it's worth I think its a bit of craic, ireland looks well in it.

Well I have just watched a whole load of compilations of it on youtube from all different places in the world. Everyone looks gorgeous in them, everywhere looks groovy, the vibe is really great and I am pumped for the week now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Infuriating.

If only the guards put a tenth as much effort into their core duties and not this rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    What's the Jerusalema bit about?
    Why the name and why the song?
    Does it have any particular significance?

For what it's worth I think its a bit of craic, ireland looks well in it.

Part of an international challenge , so you use that music .

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

Morale booster, but I had noticed the checkpoints had decreased this lockdown. They must have been busy practicing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Infuriating.

If only the guards put a tenth as much effort into their core duties and not this rubbish

Ahem, community policing? Policing by consent ? And having watched the video a number of times , the Kerry sections - the windmill, Fenit , looking over Tralee bay, one of the beach bits may have some of the same gardaí, one of who I know for sure is a community Member .

I just don't get it. A bit of fun? What's the gain out of it? If it was some charity raising gimmick I could get on board with it. Maybe I'm the wrong generation. I do find it slightly annoying that we never see a Garda car patrolling where we live, despite burglaries, but yet they have time to construct this video??

Massive +1. Infuriating to see this when you think of all the work they could be doing which would be far more worthwhile.

Massive +1. Infuriating to see this when you think of all the work they could be doing which would be far more worthwhile.

Yeah, they should stop all that rubbish they do for Little Blue Heroes too, get back out giving speeding fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

Teacher bashing over, time for Gardai I think.

LilacNails wrote: »
    I'm all for a bit of craic however....

It's the guards job to ensure that laws are enforced. That road safety is being adhered too. People are safe, crimes, etc are being looked into and solved. Etc etc.

Is it there job to look like their a sound bunch and easy going up for the craic??

No it's not. Why should they? Why should they have to? What's the need of them having a bit of craic for the public to see ? Iv seen so many videos at this stage of them doing silly things, and yes at first it was funny and light hearted. But it's as if now there's something new every week.

For the times we're in they have more important things to do, than ever in my time.

Like every single day, without fail I see people looking at their phones, whilst driving. Every weekend groups of people, from outside 5km not social distancing taking over paths. Etc.

We need more of their presence around the place, not up on a roof for social media trying to look like their good craic and up for a laugh.

We don't need to see them like this. No wonder their not being taken as seriously as they should be!!

No wonder there's people out that go by their own laws, cause their not afraid and certainly won't be afraid of those who have so much power yet have a need to act like rejects for the craic.

I'm gonna get roasted for my viewpoint, but I'm sick of seeing new videos, every week of them doing something funny. There's comedians for that.

I have more respect and take more seriously those who don't have the need and would rather get their work done then dancing around.

Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Morale booster, but I had noticed the checkpoints had decreased this lockdown. They must have been busy practicing.

No, they were close contacts of Covid cases and had covid themselves.

trixi001 wrote: »
    If it was done off duty - hope they are all fined, like anyone else would be for breaking lockdown regulations - even if they all stayed behind after shift to do it. (If it was a group of factory workers all meeting up after a shift, the complaints would be rolling in)

If it was done on duty - it's a stupid waste of resources.

Either way, don't think it looks goods, the guards are out in force to stop everyone else having fun, and yet they can do this.

Yes, its outdoors, its socially distant (at least on camera...), but so could dance classes be, or exercise classes, or even golf, but these things aren't allowed to operate.

If they are breaking regulations like you say, that’s some scandal in the making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nice touch with Swiss reg plate on the Mercedes at the start

Niallof9 wrote: »
    I think some peoples issues will be what are they actually doing. Walk through Dublin on any given day and count how many police you see using their feet like in this video. As a beat photographer who lives in the city centre i can tell you its very very little. Checkpoints, traffic stops, big busts and social media yeah they excel. I'd much prefer if the police force of my country were a little bit more visible in their core duty.

Fully agree. In our small village we rarely if ever see a guard. If only they put even a tenth of the effort into policing rural ireland.

Its harmless sure, but in my opinion they can shove their stupid ****ing dance video where the sun doesn't shine.

I also wonder what that guy fined for walking alone on an empty beach is thinking right now. So much for essential travel only.

Very good point

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think it's excessive and not the best use of state funds. There is a € cost to every minute of an employees time. There are a lot of people in this clip. The production also costs money.

There is a PR benefit, undoubtedly, to producing these type of videos.

I think they just got the balance wrong. Nice idea but excessive execution. Not a hanging offence but hopefully this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Yeah, they're planning a weekly one now that Dancing with the Stars has been cancelled...
    ðŸ˜

All of the below breached. Ireland, the world capital of DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO.

no visitors are permitted in private homes/gardens (except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble)

no social/family gatherings should take place in other settings

people may meet with people from one other household in outdoor settings when taking exercise

people will be required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home

no organised outdoor events should take place

Individual training only. No exercise or dance classes. No indoor or outdoor gatherings involving “individual training”.

no indoor or outdoor exercise group activities including those involving children should take place.

This sums it up. Sheer hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,535 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Infuriating.

Great post.

If they are breaking regulations like you say, that’s some scandal in the making.
    Fully agree. In our small village we rarely if ever see a guard. If only they put even a tenth of the effort into policing rural ireland.
    Very good point
    This sums it up. Sheer hypocrisy.

We get it, you don't like the video!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Is there any chance at all of the Kinahans or some other gang making one of these dance videos?
    Would be superb.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think it's excessive and not the best use of state funds. There is a € cost to every minute of an employees time. There are a lot of people in this clip. The production also costs money.

There is a PR benefit, undoubtedly, to producing these type of videos.

I think they just got the balance wrong. Nice idea but excessive execution. Not a hanging offence but hopefully this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Agree. Although I’d ask why the hell they did it in the first place given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

What's with the complaining? Gardai are essential workers and they are at work in this video. Going by the reaction to this video a large proportion of people think that policing is simlly about catching bad people. This is about engaging with the community in the hope that less of the bad guys emerge.

It's not that difficult to understand really. If you have a hole in your roof do you continue to clean up the water that comes in or do you eventually get around to sorting out the hole.

• Advertisement

Is there any chance at all of the Kinahans or some other gang making one of these dance videos?
    Would be superb.

Like Michael Jackson's Beat It? Or Run DMC.

I like your thinking.

They could dance off the Guards to Grandmaster Flash "White Lines".

Advertisement