Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

paw patrol wrote: »
    This thread was very long , point may have been repeated.

off duty eh?

The same fcuks in this video would stop you , demand 20 questions of you and fine you for doing the same.
    shower of b@astards.

in response to the gushing praise for the gardai and their hard lives, cry me a river.
    It's rough all over for many people , the gardai if anything have financial security in this pandemic

see point above. Thats' why and it's utter cringe.

AKA as doing their jobs

I'd say you're one of those who likes to spout Article Blah Blah, I know my rights kinda guy with the phone up to record

I turned it off not because it’s a Garda thing and I think they should have better things to be doing. I turned it off because these attempts to brighten the mood by creating a viral video are annoying.

Any time RTÉ brought it up to "lift the national mood" I changed the station. Strikes an awkward tone, find it jarringly out of step with the repressive abide by the 5km limit narrative. Furious finger wagging on the one hand if you breach an arbitrary boundary, on the other look at them Gardaí having a giggle. A lot of people are trying to keep their heads above water, and public resources flippantly wasted for a laugh doesn't invite admiring glances. Park the silliness and appreciate the privilege of being in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

SAMTALK wrote: »
    AKA as doing their jobs

I'd say you're one of those who likes to spout Article Blah Blah, I know my rights kinda guy with the phone up to record

I bet you dont know yours as just do as you are told.

Imagine trying to paint knowledge of the constitution as an insult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No we don't. I've never consented to either the RUC or the Gardaí. They "police" by force.

Just some corrections to your comment above.

The RUC do not exist now, it was disbanded on 31/12/2000, PSNI took over in 1st Jan 2001.

Both Police forces on the island of Ireland Police by consent of the public.

Google the Peelian principles which were introduced by Sir Robert Peel.

Do you live in R.O.I. or N.I.?

I bet you dont know yours as just do as you are told.

Imagine trying to paint knowledge of the constitution as an insult

I do but I'd dont feel the need to degrade guards who are trying to do their job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Its almost like different people have different opinions. Mad times lads mad times

It really does boil down to the glass half empty vs. glass half full types, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I do but I'd dont feel the need to degrade guards who are trying to do their job

Degrading Gardai by reciting the constitution or parts of to them?

Is the constitution just a hindrance to the Gardai?

Degrading Gardai by reciting the constitution or parts of to them?

They are doing a job, but anyone who does this with phone in hand is just looking for likes on facebook

Just copped on that they stop a Swiss Registered car at the start of the video.

Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

AKA as doing their jobs

no point arguing with a state paid automaton as doing so only reduces your IQ literally as you speak.

as for your doing their jobs point - you missed my point entirely, maybe willfully...
    so I'll try again - why can they do it but you'd get done for doing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

I am not born Irish but have lived here for 20 years and can tell you that seeing this made me even more proud of Ireland & the lovely people who make up this country. Compared to the police in other countries (thinking of my birth country in particular but many others come to mind) your garda are really exceptional in the service and care they provide your people I wish people knew how lucky they were, how much harsher life is in many other countries (most other countries, I am sure Ireland is one of the top 10 safest and wealthiest countries to live in). I always remind my children how fortunate they are to live in such a beautiful country that values and minds its people each and every one of them. Of course nothing is perfect that is human nature but Ireland comes as close to that for the times we live in. There is no where else in the world I would rather live than here.

no point arguing with a state paid automaton as doing so only reduces your IQ literally as you speak.

as for doing their jobs point you missed my point entirely, maybe willfully...

Are they all bastards or just the ones in the video ?

State paid automaton :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

as for doing their jobs point you missed my point entirely maybe willfully...

The pathetic deference to authority in Ireland is why we had priest abusing kids without worry, mother and child homes, politicians giving themselves pay rise after pay rise while Paddy Public is told there's no money to treat kids with scoliosis, no money for mental health services, no money for this, that or the other. And Paddy Public says Yes Sir, thanks for the few crumbs Sir.

Most other countries would be on the streets for the state of/and cost of our health system, our judicial system, our immigration policies but there's just a shrug of the shoulders here.

But shure isn't it great to see the Gards dancing. So uplifting.

The pathetic deference to authority in Ireland is why we had priest abusing kids without worry, mother and child homes, politicians giving themselves pay rise after pay rise while Paddy Public is told there's no money to treat kids with scoliosis, no money for mental health services, no money for this, that or the other. And Paddy Public says Yes Sir, thanks for the few crumbs Sir.

Most other countries would be on the streets for the state of/and cost of our health system, our judicial system, our immigration policies but there's just a shrug of the shoulders here.

But shure isn't it great to see the Gards dancing. So uplifting.

There is a difference between deference to authority and obeying the law though

The guards are damned if they do and damned if they dont.
    Check points and you have people saying have they nothing better to do
    Do a dance video and people saying have they nothing better to do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

silverharp wrote:
    Do you have any studies to measure these benefit? in the dopamine fueled Twitter age, attention span is about 15 seconds, and the irony that the gov doesn't want any furriners here until 2022 is funny

Maybe you don't read mainstream media yourself? This has been reported in the mainstream media all over the world. Google it. There are pages & pages on this. First few pages are Ireland and UK but it goes on & on. This is reaching much further than twitter and Facebook. I don't do twitter but I saw it on the Irish Times

As I said this publicity would cost the tourist board hundreds of thousands of euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Absolutely loved it - saw the swiss challenge last week and was waiting to see if the guards would respond. Think it’s a lovely bit of banter - loved the horses and the scenery was absolutely fantastic- thought it showed Ireland off really really well. I was hoping they would include more variety in terms of units - would have liked to see armed response or public order - ( the swiss version seems to showcase a lot of different units) though given the response to the video on here that might have caused total uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Hopefully we see more stuff like this , good advertising for the country .
    Fair play to the them for doing the video , wouldn't fancy been asked to do it .

Any break from the daily strife at the moment is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I think that's fine, looks like it was mocked up during coffee breaks or team building exercises using phones mostly.

I think this is what makes it super cringey. It's clear that there was alot of planning time and resources used. Obviously Switzerland is a breathtakingly beautiful country too, but the Swiss police did this in their offices with minimal fuss.

It's like the time they did that "flash mob" in Cork where the whole city was invited about 2 months in advance and every school and community centre in the place was giving free dance lessons. Total cringe.

Cringey. I really hate that word and it's overused on the internet, making it cringe worthy it self.

Planning time? A few whats apps or emails to stations and a few local stations used their locality to make a short video (probably about 15-20 seconds each).

They were challenged about 2 weeks ago by Swiss police and they got this together quickly and easily.

Production values are very similar Both used drones which is normal nowadays.

Only difference is that An Garda used scenery more than the Swiss police.

Simply a different approach and cost nothing extra and I think people should just get overthemselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I am not born Irish but have lived here for 20 years and can tell you that seeing this made me even more proud of Ireland & the lovely people who make up this country. Compared to the police in other countries (thinking of my birth country in particular but many others come to mind) your garda are really exceptional in the service and care they provide your people I wish people knew how lucky they were, how much harsher life is in many other countries (most other countries, I am sure Ireland is one of the top 10 safest and wealthiest countries to live in). I always remind my children how fortunate they are to live in such a beautiful country that values and minds its people each and every one of them. Of course nothing is perfect that is human nature but Ireland comes as close to that for the times we live in. There is no where else in the world I would rather live than here.

You got all that from watching this video?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Harmless bit of fun in a time that there's sweet FA else to smile about. Fair play to them.
    Where are you seeing weekly videos of them doing 'something funny'??

Get a grip. :rolleyes:

Yep and lets face it there's SFA to be cheerful about at the moment so fair play.

• Advertisement

You got all that from watching this video?

Stop trying to be smart. It does not suit you.

The woman stabbed in Dublin has died..

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0203/1194772-woman-ifsc-death/

The Gardaí have time to fine people who go to the beach or want to fly aboard and make stupid videos of themselves dancing but they can't police the streets and protect innocent people from scumbags?

Ahh, yes, because you're better than superman and can be everywhere, all at the same time. Shame that you haven't contributed your own amazing abilities to the police force.

For a force of less than 20k (I couldn't find any reasonably recent precise numbers), they're not doing a particularly bad job. I can't recall you posting and praising the Gardai when they've stopped crimes, and caught those responsible.

I swear people have such unrealistic expectations.

The woman stabbed in Dublin has died..

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0203/1194772-woman-ifsc-death/

The Gardaí have time to fine people who go to the beach or want to fly aboard and make stupid videos of themselves dancing but they can't police the streets and protect innocent people from scumbags?

Tell me what a Garda in Kerry dancing off roster has to do with a crime in Dublin city centre. a place fyi where thousands of people are arrested for carrying offensive weapons.

I came home and had dinner last night. While I was watching TV I bet there was a crime committed somewhere. What a useless bastard I really am. Not at all like the comics portray Batman

Jesus wept the stupidity in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Ahh, yes, because you're better than superman and can be everywhere, all at the same time. Shame that you haven't contributed your own amazing abilities to the police force.

For a force of less than 20k (I couldn't find any reasonably recent precise numbers), they're not doing a particularly bad job. I can't recall you posting and praising the Gardai when they've stopped crimes, and caught those responsible.

IMO his basic point is still valid. You never see cops on the beat anymore. They don't patrol rural areas in their squad cars anymore. A little bit of simple police presence can help reassure people of their safety. I totally realise they can't be everywhere, but at least make a bloody effort. People gushing hyperbole about a silly video does nothing.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    100% correct with this. Their inaction has led to areas like that in Dublin become a no go area...but hey the video was great craic...

The ifsc is a no go area? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just under 15,000 at the end of last year, including all ranks and specialities.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/human-resources-and-people-development/garda-hr-directorate/garda-numbers-by-division-and-station-breakdown.html

Of whom about, I'd guess maybe 25-30 (plus horses) participated in that video - and most of those seemed to be in Kerry and Sligo!

IMO his basic point is still valid. You never see cops on the beat anymore. They don't patrol rural areas in their squad cars anymore. A little bit of simple police presence can help reassure people of their safety. I totally realise they can't be everywhere, but at least make a bloody effort. People gushing hyperbole about a silly video does nothing.

How do you know they don't? Because the time you glanced out your window you didn't see one?

Apply for the local court records and see how many people have been charged with crimes in your area.

Have you ever seen a great white shark in person? They probable don't exist so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Nermal

Ahh, yes, because you're better than superman and can be everywhere, all at the same time.

It's not about the time, it's about the culture, the image.

Criminals are not afraid of a police force who prance about on social media.

When criminals are not afraid, they become emboldened.

When they become so emboldened, the rest of us suffer.

The only dancing AGS should be doing should be off-camera, dancing on the heads of the 15-year old perpetrator of this outrage, and his ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nermal wrote: »
    It's not about the time, it's about the culture, the image.

Criminals are not afraid of a police force who prance about on social media.

When criminals are not afraid, they become emboldened.

When they become so emboldened, the rest of us suffer.

The only dancing AGS should be doing should be off-camera, dancing on the heads of the 15-year old perpetrator of this outrage, and his ilk.
    Well, that's constructive :rolleyes:

If that's the level of debate available about this, I think we're in safe hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

Indeed.

Advertisement