Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Allinall wrote: »
    No. You shouldn't have, unless it's relevant. Was it?

I wouldn't imagine that there are many eastern Europeans or non national members of the Gardai. It's not a common finding so I felt it worth mentioning.

Do you concur?

Not surprising at all. My most recent interaction with a garda was at a covid checkpoint. Eastern European garda. Most ignorant, rude individual iv come across in a long time.
    Hiding behind his uniform. A real pos

Why did you point out it was a he?

Notwithstanding the assumption of their gender, is it relevant?

(Am I doing this right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Wonder will there be as much outrage now that nursing homes are taking part in the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Harmless bit of fun tbh. It does however once again that most Irish men are painfully devoid of any kind of rhythm and dance skills, even if moderately choreographed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Das Reich wrote: »
    Many years ago had my credit card cloned at a Chinese store. Money started to be taken from my account not even an hour later from South Africa and USA. I knew where I was cloned because I asked to put my password twice and at that time I didn't used my card often. Went to Garda to report, they asked how I was so sure and if I had problem with Chinese (I am not even European). They just didn't wanted nothing to do with and said the bank would refund me, and they did it. Waste of time to report anything to them.

A family member of mine had stuff stolen from their car overnight. Gardai came next morning, checked for fingerprints (but found none), but a few days later found the culprit, charged him and he was convicted in court. They got some of the stuff back, but not all.

See, I can tell a Garda story as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Harmless bit of fun tbh. It does however once again that most Irish men are painfully devoid of any kind of rhythm and dance skills, even if moderately choreographed.

Bit harsh.

Thought a good few of the lads were pretty good.
    Some of them may have struggled with the surfaces as they're more used to dancing in Coppers.

Horses were definitely not in time with the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Because he was. Should I not have?
    If it was an Irish garda, would you have said so in your post?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can we stay on topic and cut out the back and forth sniping please?

Samsonsmasher - drag this thread off topic with that sort of rubbish again and it won't be just a threadban you'll be getting.

Thread cleaned up and all the off topic guff and bickering removed.

The video cheered me right up when it popped up on my Twitter feed yesterday. I thought I recognised one of the guards in it, sent her a message on a whatsapp group, and yip, it was her! Everyone I know who has watched it has really liked it, and it lifted a lot of spirits. Kerry in particular looked lovely. I think it shows a really different side to the Gardai, and they have done a great job for the past year in really taking on an active community role. They also seem to be more professional overall since Drew Harris became commissioner

Thats harsh, I mean poor Rory didnt even get a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Nice to see all those nights in Coppers didn’t go
    to waste!

Fancy horsework!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Witcher wrote: »
    Why did you feel the need to point out he was Eastern European?

In fairness - and I'd be the first to call out all the racism and xenophobia that gets shat onto this site with monotonous regularity - a Garda with a non-Irish accent is something of a rarity and I don't really see anything wrong with mentioning that fact. I don't think the poster was implying that there was any link between the Garda's nationality and them being, in his opinion, ignorant and rude. Those are qualities I've noticed in quite a lot of Gardai over the years, regardless of where they're from.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bit harsh.

Thought a good few of the lads were pretty good.
    Some of them may have struggled with the surfaces as they're more used to dancing in Coppers.

Horses were definitely not in time with the music.

To be fair , even at Olympic level dressage , the music is actually written for the individual horse . 2 Irish Draught Garda horses who would not , by any stretch of the imagination be doing anything above the level of your ordinary Neddy aren’t going to keep in time with a pre- specified pop tune .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The video cheered me right up when it popped up on my Twitter feed yesterday. I thought I recognised one of the guards in it, sent her a message on a whatsapp group, and yip, it was her! Everyone I know who has watched it has really liked it, and it lifted a lot of spirits. Kerry in particular looked lovely. I think it shows a really different side to the Gardai, and they have done a great job for the past year in really taking on an active community role. They also seem to be more professional overall since Drew Harris became commissioner

I thought some of the drone footage showed Ireland’s scenery at its finest...when you think about it the Swiss missed a trick there when you consider the breathtaking scenery they could have showcased(instead it looked like it was all confined to a city)...well done to the Gardai for exhibiting some of the finest parts of the countryside at short notice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's absolutely harmless fun, but I'm not a fan of the song, and it's not exactly Olympic level dancing either. Don't think they had a choice in the song or dance though, so you can only work with what you have, and if the song/dance aren't great to begin with, you're not going to get great copies of it from people who generally only dance when langers.

It's absolutely harmless fun, but I'm not a fan of the song, and it's not exactly Olympic level dancing either. Don't think they had a choice in the song or dance though, so you can only work with what you have, and if the song/dance aren't great to begin with, you're not going to get great copies of it from people who generally only dance when langers.

**** me, they haven't introduced dancing into the Olympics now have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don’t think so unless you count ice skating. That said there should be some Olympic style prizes for some of the deranged waltzing going on here about the gardai and the dance video ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well it went down very well over in Switzerland and a great bit of advertising for Ireland.

As for the usual bunch of whiners, yes the ones that are quick to complain and would not but their lives in danger in the service of the state or in protecting others for a minute, get back behind the couch or under the bed or where ever you go when expect the rest of us to protect you. We’ve heard enough of your nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Moaners will always be moaners and can often never see the good side in anything. Permanently offended. Go to your caves now.

This will be all over when Tik Tok or whoever xisn’t trending this anymore. But I say, enjoy it while you can. It is great and uplifting, and far better than than the negative stuff, isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What I can't understand is that back in the fifties and sixties there was a garda in every village in the country.

There was very little money around that time.

Now we can't afford a garda even in towns.

Back in the 50's we didn't have criminals using the motorways from Dublin to travel to rob.

Fear of crime is actually worse than crime itself. Like how Shane Ross got Stepaside Garda station reopened. Because we all know that criminals fear stationary Garda buildings instead of Guards in cars.

I don't know what the vitriol against the Gardai in this thread is about, it's almost as if we expect them to be like US police. Their job and name are Guardians of the peace and that entails a lot of offsetting heavy-handedness.
    They have relied on cooperation from the public to do their policing since the foundation fo the sate and the change to a largely unarmed force. Taht cooperation is down to the public perception of them as normal people doing a job just like the rest of us.

I got stopped in covid checkpoints in the last fortnight. At the first one when the Garda asked, I was going to Lidl and when I pointed out that I even had the actual Lidl plastic bags in the passenger seat, she laughed. In the second one, I told the guard that I had ten minutes to get to my delayed NCT appointment, he told me to burn rubber to get there, but not too much to fail.

So I like my police to have a sense of humour and dance and in cars instead of buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Soon come.

Break dancing gets Olympic status to debut at Paris Games in 2024
    Dec 7, 2020
    Associated Press
    GENEVA -- Breakdancing became an official Olympic sport on Monday.
    The International Olympic Committee's pursuit of urban events to lure a younger audience saw street dance battles officially added to the medal events program at the 2024 Paris Games.
    Also confirmed for Paris by the IOC executive board were skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I saw a few Gardai cars the other day (about 4) parked at a tourist spot.
    I thought serious incident and when i enquired and discovered that the Gardai were doing this routine at this place.
    I do not ever again to hear that they need more resources for policing.
    Doing one-off responce to this challenge be fine but from what i am reading Gardai all over the country are doing this.
    I get the impression from media the Gardai doing this around the country.
    I did not notice too many police forces around the world having people available for this challenge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Not surprising at all. My most recent interaction with a garda was at a covid checkpoint. Eastern European garda. Most ignorant, rude individual iv come across in a long time.
    Hiding behind his uniform. A real pos

As opposed to you hiding under the bed and expecting him to protect you. Yes they even protect racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

So, we have just had more guards, firemen, prison officers, paramedic ambulance crew and army dancing on the late late...
    Wonder will all those services get the same backlash on here re tax payers money etc....

Oh and the horses too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I thought it was kinda cringeworthy to be honest. Maybe it's covid fatigue setting in or something but it just didn't seem appropriate to me.

I saw a few Gardai cars the other day (about 4) parked at a tourist spot.
    I thought serious incident and when i enquired and discovered that the Gardai were doing this routine at this place.
    I do not ever again to hear that they need more resources for policing.
    Doing one-off responce to this challenge be fine but from what i am reading Gardai all over the country are doing this.
    I get the impression from media the Gardai doing this around the country.
    I did not notice too many police forces around the world having people available for this challenge.

It's hardly the fault of the Gardai that you believe the media. The Gardai that did it, were in the video.

2 horses in their stable, 6 from the Garda college, 6 on the station roof during their break, 6 in a park it looks like, possible Phoenix park where the hq is judging by their uniforms and I think, 8 Gardai in a few tourist spots. 8 that engaged in dancing on their off time but in uniform. Fyi, if there was a crime they and all Gardai would still respond.

This video was made more than 'the other day' so relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Moaners will always be moaners and can often never see the good side in anything. Permanently offended. Go to your caves now.

lmao, that's funny. Now go to your home and stay there. Same goes for the guards when they're not doing essential work.

Dancing and doing internet trends is not essential :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's hardly the fault of the Gardai that you believe the media. The Gardai that did it, were in the video.

2 horses in their stable, 6 from the Garda college, 6 on the station roof during their break, 6 in a park it looks like, possible Phoenix park where the hq is judging by their uniforms and I think, 8 Gardai in a few tourist spots. 8 that engaged in dancing on their off time but in uniform. Fyi, if there was a crime they and all Gardai would still respond.

This video was made more than 'the other day' so relax.

It was made within the last 2 weeks. And they didn’t just go out on a break and lick the dance off a stone.

I thought they confirmed they practised on their own time and made the video on their own time?

I'm sure if a call came in they'd respond as usual. It's not that big a deal, I would have thought.

I liked it. Specially the Irish dancing part, she was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Candie wrote: »
    I thought they confirmed they practised on their own time and made the video on their own time?

I'm sure if a call came in they'd respond as usual. It's not that big a deal, I would have thought.

I liked it. Specially the Irish dancing part, she was very good.

All true but sure the moaners wouldn't have anything to
    give out about if they were to believe that.

Advertisement