Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

Cue desperate attempt at condesending,to cover that your arse has been handed to yous with facts and logic :D:D

Tell us again,why off duty gaurds,(as claimed here),are not subject to same restrictions as everyone else?

Because the law says it doesn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

two awful bitter posters with obsessively beyond all reasonable rational sense aggressively anti Gardai posters in this thread

hard to understand how bad it must be to have to turn something so positive at this time into a nasty online interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This is going to be a bit of rant lads so I'll apologise in advance. To start off I'm not looking for sympathy and I consider myself pretty lucky and I am a very upbeat person in general. However I've been out of work since last March and job prospects are pretty slim (hospitality). Financially I'm fine and all the people around me are healthy but it really is starting to take a toll on me lately. FFS people who cares if the Guards made a video? I'll tell you I was feeling very down the other day as It's the boredom is really getting to me and the weather was ****e. I'm walking about 15kms a day listening to podcasts just to keep myself someway sane. That video put a smile on my face for 2 minutes and helped me forget the ****e I have to think about all day every day. They were off duty and even if they weren't it was a few minutes. Nobody here took an extra long lunch or ducked off early any day? **** sake guys lets get together.
    Rant over. Again apologies for the rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

bit of fun in otherwise boring times . Nice bit of advertising of the country if tourism ever gets going again , who cares if it cost a few euro or man hours to make FFS in the overall scheme of things its nothing .
    had a look at a few threads on fb and clicked on the profiles of some of the whingers .The one thing that struck me was most of the whingers were either shinner's , boy racer type's or anti vaxers . The kind of people who would give the impression they deal with the gardai on a regular basis

Studied at: school of hard knocks / university of life

Works at: Making the World A Better Place/ Full Time Mad Bastard / Being Hyper

Profile photo: Irish flag, map of Ireland, a harp, something along those lines

Status updates: either batshet stuff about SF, or off the wall Ben Gilroy shares. Shares outrage videos of the Gardai roughousing wasters at protests who really do deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Fenit and Blennerville and the roof of Tralee Garda Station in Kerry, Mullaghmore in Sligo, Áras an Úachtaráin.

Not sure of the rest.

Woodstock in Kilkenny is another I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Haven't been following the the thread - has anyone mentioned the great arse on that Riverdance Garda from Birr. Yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Haven't been following the the thread - has anyone mentioned the great arse on that Riverdance Garda from Birr. Yum yum.

Sure they all have lovely bottoms ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Nothing positive about it, its pure rubbish, makes me cringe to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Nothing positive about it, its pure rubbish, makes me cringe to look at it.

Don't look, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

My main thoughts:
    1. Pure cringe. Immediately reminded me of the dancing nurses on tiktok that caused controversy last year.

2. The swiss challenged them? So what! Are we all ten year olds? The swiss should have been politely reminded that we are in the middle of a nationwide lockdown and this isn't an appropriate time.

3. Late late show. So typical. Sure aren't we great craic altogether here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

3. Late late show. So typical. Sure aren't we great craic altogether here in Ireland.

Definitely. If I could have bet the house that the LLS would lead with the dancing Gards, I would have. So tiresomely predictable.

Why do people confuse the Irish 'Garda' with English 'Guard' and end up with 'gard' so often?

Don't look, problem solved

Comes up on my facebook timeline so obviously I looked at it. It's absolutely pathetic. Problem solved didn't look at it again but I can comment surely. Or is that forbidden???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭lucalux

Why do people confuse the Irish 'Garda' with English 'Guard' and end up with 'gard' so often?

Probably down to the terrible lack of confidence in the irish language we have here, not even that it's all that difficult.
    I think we are almost afraid to lean in to learning it, or allowing ourselves to have a go, as a result of the woeful way it was taught to most in schools?

Was giving directions the other day and was counting houses to give the lad an idea of how far outside the village this house is, and starting counting off in irish to myself, his first question was "Are you a primary school teacher?!", presumably because that's the only people who would bother to count in irish :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This I like :D
    Yester wrote: »
    Guards can dance if they want to
    They can leave feral teens behind
    Cause feral teens don't dance
    And if they don't dance
    Well, they're no teens of mine

Nice bit of humour instead of much whinging. Thanks Yester.

No one uses either Garda or Gardai in the vernacular. We use Gard or Gards. Since we aren't referring to the english word "guard" it wouldn't make any sense to use that spelling, so surely Gard is the best option on an informal forum like this?

Or maybe we should use "Nnnnnngnordai"

No one uses either Garda or Gardai in the vernacular. We use Gard or Gards. Since we aren't referring to the english word "guard" it wouldn't make any sense to use that spelling, so surely Gard is the best option on an informal forum like this?

:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

*Cough* ( Non Covid) I do , as do most people I know .
    Met 2 checkpoints on a medically justified trip this weekend and anyone speaking was using “ Garda “ as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My main thoughts:
    1. Pure cringe. Immediately reminded me of the dancing nurses on tiktok that caused controversy last year.

2. The swiss challenged them? So what! Are we all ten year olds? The swiss should have been politely reminded that we are in the middle of a nationwide lockdown and this isn't an appropriate time.

That second point is significant. You’d wonder about the thinking in the guards ...”oh wow weee - - look the Swiss police have challenged us to do a dance video”

Did nobody stop for a second and consider the bigger picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

That second point is significant. You’d wonder about the thinking in the guards ...”oh wow weee - - look the Swiss police have challenged us to do a dance video”

What's the bigger picture?

• Advertisement

Met 2 checkpoints on a medically justified trip this weekend and anyone speaking was using “ Garda “ as well.

Yep fully agree, it's not uncommon among the people I know, use Garda in the singular and Gardai or guards for plural.

Yes but that was in the presence of a member of the force.....addressing them correctly etc. No one ever said to their school principle "Howya Dave!"

Who says Garda or Gardai in common conversation with other civilians? I literally never heard it said. Admittedly I am a culchie and move in unrefined circles......... so many that's it!

Yes but that was in the presence of a member of the force.....addressing them correctly etc. No one ever said to their school principle "Howya Dave!"

Who says Garda or Gardai in common conversation with other civilians? I literally never heard it said. Admittedly I am a culchie and move in unrefined circles......... so many that's it!

Guard or the guards for me as well anyhow who cares dance still cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

What's the bigger picture, in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

No they didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Really seems that people who’d have “issues” with the Gardaí, generally, are going to be, loudly, complaining about this dance “challenge”.

To everyone else it’s just seen for what it is, a bit of fun and a, clear, attempt to lift the “spirits” of the nation in these unprecedented times. And well done to them!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Really seems that people who’d have “issues” with the Gardaí, generally, are going to be, loudly, complaining about this dance “challenge”.

To everyone else it’s just seen for what it is, a bit of fun and a, clear, attempt to lift the “spirits” of the nation in these unprecedented times. And well done to them!

If you've lost your job and you see people benefiting from this situation getting overtime and then dancing in places you are not allowed visit it is most definitely not raising spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Was it just the Irish that were challenged or was it open challenge to any group?
    What surprised me was we there seem to just 2 police force doing on UTube

• Registered Users Posts: 28,463 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you've lost your job and you see people benefiting from this situation getting overtime and then dancing in places you are not allowed visit it is most definitely not raising spirits.

What places were they in that you're not allowed visit?
    You can visit any outdoor location if it's within your 5k limit.
    The Gardai where using their local areas.

How do you know if people in the video are benefitting from the situation?

People who have lost their jobs would not be narrow minded enough to blame Gardai for their situation as the Gardai have not caused any of the problems created by the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,463 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They certainly did and shot in widescreen landscape mode.

Advertisement