Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I hope it was done while they were on duty. The amount of total arseholes they've to deal with day in day out, no harm them taking a bit of downtime to have a bit of craic in work.
    Anyway, part of their job description is community work so this fits right in, fair play to them and all the other police forces doing this challenge, posting on social media and passing it on, particularly in these miserable times.

And I do understand and appricate all that.

I just feel people won't take them seriously and actually loose respect for them.

I feel they have lost a lot of respect down through the years. People esp thugs would only be laughing at them. And there's more thugs around more then ever.

Its silly, it's fun, it's stupid.... But I don't think its nessceary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mixed opinion on this, partly embarrassed, somewhat bemused, mostly disinterested

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

It's obviously cool and very well done. Fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭hynesie08

LilacNails wrote: »

I just feel people won't take them seriously and actually loose respect for them.

I feel they have lost a lot of respect down through the years. People esp thugs would only be laughing at them. And there's more thugs around more then ever.

Fair point, I'm gonna go kick a granny in the face now, if they try and arrest me I'll just break out the macarena.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I thought it was brilliant, fair play to them for doing it .
    Bit of light hearted fun , loved all the different locations.
    The Doctors and Nurses faced a backlash for doing their ones last year too - they can't be that run off their feet if they have time to make videos etc - if I remember right .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's obviously cool and very well done. Fair play to all involved.

It's a bit of fun. Craic. A giggle. Maybe even a public service.
    But cool?

Sorry, but it certainly isn't cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I could post this in any amount of threads on boards these days, but......

I never cease to be amazed at the amount of people willing to suck the last drop of joy, the absolute last iota of fun, out of anything that's even a little bit different. Or, God forbid, a bit uplifting :rolleyes:

There is a huge amount of misery merchants on this island. The likes of the Late Late show know this hence they have a misery fest every Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,463 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People getting put out by this have little to be worrying about!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

Courts to blame for that. We could have a hard as focking nails police force but as long as judges are handing down soft sentences to repeat offenders the work of AGS is completely undermined. Can't apply the batton either. No wonder thugs don't fear them and it's not their fault.

Another person would say in a time of never ending doom and gloom, the likes of this is completely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

It's socially distanced, outdoors and seems safe enough to me.

I do think we're getting a bit carried away with the 'must inflict misery equally' mentality here to the point that it's becoming rather toxic and any sense of craic is rapidly disappearing amongst the permanently outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I do think we're getting a bit carried away with the 'must inflict misery equally' mentality here to the point that it's becoming rather toxic and any sense of craic is rapidly disappearing amongst the permanently outraged.
    This x100!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Anyone complaining about this being done on Garda time have never done something at work that was fun or was it work work work 100% of the time?

Couldnt care less one way or the other but youd want to be sad enough actively complaining about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

You're right. So why can't I go for a round of golf if these "hard working frontline workers" can take the piss with this charade??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why does everything have to be necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's fairly cringeworthy. As was the Swiss one.

Maybe I just don't get this dancing in your uniform thing. The horses are nice.

Allinall wrote: »
    Why does everything have to be necessary?

Why do people have to take part in stupid, childish videos to bring "joy".

You're right. So why can't I go for a round of golf if these "hard working frontline workers" can take the piss with this charade??

Because golf courses are closed under level 5.

I thought that would be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

If it was done off duty - hope they are all fined, like anyone else would be for breaking lockdown regulations - even if they all stayed behind after shift to do it. (If it was a group of factory workers all meeting up after a shift, the complaints would be rolling in)

If it was done on duty - it's a stupid waste of resources.

Either way, don't think it looks goods, the guards are out in force to stop everyone else having fun, and yet they can do this.

Yes, its outdoors, its socially distant (at least on camera...), but so could dance classes be, or exercise classes, or even golf, but these things aren't allowed to operate.

• Advertisement

Why do people have to take part in stupid, childish videos to bring "joy".

Where did you get the impression they had to do it?

Allinall wrote: »
    Because golf courses are closed under level 5.

I thought that would be obvious.

But it's "socially distanced, outdoors and seems safe enough". So what's the difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

I think some peoples issues will be what are they actually doing. Walk through Dublin on any given day and count how many police you see using their feet like in this video. As a beat photographer who lives in the city centre i can tell you its very very little. Checkpoints, traffic stops, big busts and social media yeah they excel. I'd much prefer if the police force of my country were a little bit more visible in their core duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    When's the prison officer vid going up Omac brother?

DM me hun x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

No, like I said I'm not arsed looking up videos for strangers looking to nit pick.

Can anyone link to any other videos, possibly released weekly, of the Gardaí doing funny videos?

LilacNails is too busy, (presumably watching the latest release:)).

In fairness LilacNails I see your points from the other side, but making claims you can't back up won't help things.

I've seen precisely one 'feel good' "bitta craic" video in the past year. Guards doing the Amarillo thing last year. Same Garda did another one but they were both for charity. All for that tbh.

As this is the second one I've seen, I don't think it's a big deal.

World class police forces are doing this, they're joining in.

They see hugely traumatising things on a day-to-day basis, they are tasked with dealing with absolute gombeens during a pandemic, and they're a community policing force in the main.

They need to have good team skills, things like this are bonding, and reinforce team spirit. A pressure valve for them in what is probably tedious and difficult work.

Not always the biggest cheerleader of guards in some instances, but in this one, I really do not see the harm, for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

fatknacker wrote: »
    Where’s the Swiss video?

Probably in Switzerland

It's the guards job to ensure that laws are enforced. That road safety is being adhered too. People are safe, crimes, etc are being looked into and solved. Etc etc.

Is it there job to look like their a sound bunch and easy going up for the craic??

If the two were even moderately mutually exclusive - you might have the beginnings of an actual point. If they are not in any way however - I am not seeing a point there.

As for looking like a "sound bunch" - no one said this was their job. Nor did anyone explicitly say this video was attached to their job. The police - like anyone else - have their own free time and hobbies and if they want to get together with their work mates and make a video what has that got to do with their job or how well - or indeed badly - they perform it? If they did it on work time then also - so what? Many companies and industries have "Team building exercises" and projects that promote intra- and extra- staff relations. This video looks like it was made by departments across Ireland - in response to a police force in another country - and so certainly fits the bill.

That said however - is them seeming a "sound bunch" detrimental to their jobs or beneficial to it? We are living in a time where the US police - and consequently police around the world - are receiving a lot of push back and harassment and hostility and ire.

Something "sound" that humanizes them - and reminds the public that our police are people too - is not something I see as a bad thing and has possible benefits. And as another user already pointed out - community work and interaction with the community outside the police force _is_ in their job description. Who knew?
    Why should they? Why should they have to? What's the need of them having a bit of craic for the public to see ?

I am struggling to find anyone other than you using the words that they "should" "have" or "need" to do any of it. Are you putting your own emotional spin on their actions here and choosing your own words to match? Why not use words like "want" "enjoy" "just feel like it"? Why specifically choose words implying some kind of onus that does not appear to actually exist outside your head? Another user asked you this also above. Thus far you have ignored them.
    Iv seen so many videos at this stage of them doing silly things, and yes at first it was funny and light hearted. But it's as if now there's something new every week.

What has quantity got to do with it? Either it is a good thing - a bad thing - or neither (neutral). Whether it be 1 video or 1000 - it will still remain a good thing - a bad thing - or neither. Is it possible you are projecting _your_ boredom with it onto _them_ as if your tiring of it in any way affects an actual value judgement of their actions?
    For the times we're in they have more important things to do, than ever in my time.

1) Again - this is only a valid point if the two are mutually exclusive. If you can show their engaging in such videos is directly and actively and materially taking away from their stated goals as a police force _then_ you have a point. Otherwise you just have a moan.

2) Yes you are right they have more responsibility and pressure and objectives to meet in recent times due to social unrest and homelessness and pandemics and much more. But so too therefore do they require the ability to let their hair down - unwind - have fun - and reach out to others in their community (this video was an inter policing effort between them and the Swiss police for example) for support and empathy and understanding and humanization. So your point they have things to do is a point _for_ such silliness not against it. If even one police person in that video benefited in terms of mental health and empathy and enjoyment in their times of stress and hardship then the video was worth it. Let alone the rest of the police around the country - or other countries - who watched it and maybe had the same.
    We don't need to see them like this.

There you go with your "need" narrative again that you appear to have entirely invented by yourself and have only upset yourself with it.
    No wonder their not being taken as seriously as they should be!!

If you think humanizing the police and showing them to be people who enjoy a dance or a laugh as much of the rest of us is preventing them being taken seriously then that's an issue with the public - not the police.

Again there is nothing - and there damn well should be nothing - in that video that is in any way mutually exclusive with taking them seriously in their job. Just like the rest of us can be silly in our free time (office Christmas parties come to mind) should not change the level of respect you treat each other with when you all return to the office on Monday morning.
    No wonder there's people out that go by their own laws, cause their not afraid and certainly won't be afraid of those who have so much power yet have a need to act like rejects for the craic.

Yeah. Right. I am sure people who are committing crimes are finding themselves more inclined to do so because they now know the police occasionally like to dance. I mean I was just about to murder my neighbor last week and I thought "Nah I better not - those automatons without music in their hearts will get me" but now I know they can dance - sure I'm off over there with an axe right now. Bring on the purge!
    I'm gonna get roasted for my viewpoint, but I'm sick of seeing new videos, every week of them doing something funny. There's comedians for that.

Have you considered not looking at things you are sick of seeing? I find it a never ending source of amusement how many people go into twitter threads or forum threads to look at things for no other reason than to moan to all and sundry about how sick of seeing that thing they are. Even here on boards when you get a thread about some Topic X - you get users who actively go to the effort of opening the thread and reading it so they can say how sick they are of Topic X. How is this not labelled as actual insanity - is beyond me. Do these people also go and sit in pubs for a couple of hours so they can moan "Man I am sick of seeing people drink beer all the time!!!!".

Somehow in my life I seem to have developed this _amazing and astounding_ skill of simply not opening or looking at the things that have become boring or annoying to me. If only I could disseminate this amazing skill to everyone somehow. Perhaps I should start by naming it. Maybe "Having a modicum of damn self control" might be a good working title to start out with.
    I have more respect and take more seriously those who don't have the need and would rather get their work done then dancing around.

And I have more respect, and take more seriously, those that do both and strive to do so in a way where each benefits - rather than hampers - the other. I wasnt_people_ in my government and my police force and my institutes of education. Not automaton robots with no soul who are admonished to bottle up every and any display of humanity.
    Some say ah jays us lighten up but they act look like Eejets too and loose respect!

_Your_ respect maybe - it had the opposite effect on me. So perhaps add a disclaimer of when you are speaking for yourself.
    Im not going to be looking for links ...I've other things to be using my time for, however u can go look for them yourself easily in ur own time....Facebook, you tube, Instagram.. Plenty there to go look for.

Ah the old "I have mentioned my evidence but now that you have asked for it I need you to go look for it yourself" trick. Yeah - we never get that trick on boards like ever :)

As for "going looking for it" - you made it sound like you are falling over these things every week to the point you are sick to death of stumbling over them so often. Yet now that people are interested to actually see any - you have to seemingly go to some effort to "go look" for them?

Yeah - I call tosh on this one. You're making it up lad.
    No, like I said I'm not arsed looking up videos for strangers looking to nit pick.

So establishing whether a blatant claim is valid or not is "nit picking" now is it? This just gets funnier.
    But I don't think its nessceary.

But once again - only you are creating the narrative of "necessity" in the first place. You are erecting a straw man and then beating it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,463 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People do relies that the Gardaí do things for their communities, sometimes schools, etc and similar with Little Blue Heroes.
    Same with the fire brigade service.
    They sometimes do things that aren't 100% necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Green Peter

X amount of people naturally don't like the gardai because they've got the odd speeding ticket, drunk driving arrest, drug conviction, were arrested for being a prick full of drink. Maybe even had their paedophile ring broken up. You will find many of these people online in forums like this anonymous and in keyboard warrior mode. It's to be expected, let them vent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Omackeral wrote: »
    Probably in Switzerland

Kiss me Swiss

https://youtu.be/92WKbtocEA0

Advertisement