Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

If the two were even moderately mutually exclusive - you might have the beginnings of an actual point. If they are not in any way however - I am not seeing a point there.

As for looking like a "sound bunch" - no one said this was their job. Nor did anyone explicitly say this video was attached to their job. The police - like anyone else - have their own free time and hobbies and if they want to get together with their work mates and make a video what has that got to do with their job or how well - or indeed badly - they perform it? If they did it on work time then also - so what? Many companies and industries have "Team building exercises" and projects that promote intra- and extra- staff relations. This video looks like it was made by departments across Ireland - in response to a police force in another country - and so certainly fits the bill.

That said however - is them seeming a "sound bunch" detrimental to their jobs or beneficial to it? We are living in a time where the US police - and consequently police around the world - are receiving a lot of push back and harassment and hostility and ire.

Something "sound" that humanizes them - and reminds the public that our police are people too - is not something I see as a bad thing and has possible benefits. And as another user already pointed out - community work and interaction with the community outside the police force _is_ in their job description. Who knew?

I am struggling to find anyone other than you using the words that they "should" "have" or "need" to do any of it. Are you putting your own emotional spin on their actions here and choosing your own words to match? Why not use words like "want" "enjoy" "just feel like it"? Why specifically choose words implying some kind of onus that does not appear to actually exist outside your head? Another user asked you this also above. Thus far you have ignored them.

What has quantity got to do with it? Either it is a good thing - a bad thing - or neither (neutral). Whether it be 1 video or 1000 - it will still remain a good thing - a bad thing - or neither. Is it possible you are projecting _your_ boredom with it onto _them_ as if your tiring of it in any way affects an actual value judgement of their actions?

1) Again - this is only a valid point if the two are mutually exclusive. If you can show their engaging in such videos is directly and actively and materially taking away from their stated goals as a police force _then_ you have a point. Otherwise you just have a moan.

2) Yes you are right they have more responsibility and pressure and objectives to meet in recent times due to social unrest and homelessness and pandemics and much more. But so too therefore do they require the ability to let their hair down - unwind - have fun - and reach out to others in their community (this video was an inter policing effort between them and the Swiss police for example) for support and empathy and understanding and humanization. So your point they have things to do is a point _for_ such silliness not against it. If even one police person in that video benefited in terms of mental health and empathy and enjoyment in their times of stress and hardship then the video was worth it. Let alone the rest of the police around the country - or other countries - who watched it and maybe had the same.

There you go with your "need" narrative again that you appear to have entirely invented by yourself and have only upset yourself with it.

If you think humanizing the police and showing them to be people who enjoy a dance or a laugh as much of the rest of us is preventing them being taken seriously then that's an issue with the public - not the police.

Again there is nothing - and there damn well should be nothing - in that video that is in any way mutually exclusive with taking them seriously in their job. Just like the rest of us can be silly in our free time (office Christmas parties come to mind) should not change the level of respect you treat each other with when you all return to the office on Monday morning.

Yeah. Right. I am sure people who are committing crimes are finding themselves more inclined to do so because they now know the police occasionally like to dance. I mean I was just about to murder my neighbor last week and I thought "Nah I better not - those automatons without music in their hearts will get me" but now I know they can dance - sure I'm off over there with an axe right now. Bring on the purge!

Have you considered not looking at things you are sick of seeing? I find it a never ending source of amusement how many people go into twitter threads or forum threads to look at things for no other reason than to moan to all and sundry about how sick of seeing that thing they are. Even here on boards when you get a thread about some Topic X - you get users who actively go to the effort of opening the thread and reading it so they can say how sick they are of Topic X. How is this not labelled as actual insanity - is beyond me. Do these people also go and sit in pubs for a couple of hours so they can moan "Man I am sick of seeing people drink beer all the time!!!!".

Somehow in my life I seem to have developed this _amazing and astounding_ skill of simply not opening or looking at the things that have become boring or annoying to me. If only I could disseminate this amazing skill to everyone somehow. Perhaps I should start by naming it. Maybe "Having a modicum of damn self control" might be a good working title to start out with.

And I have more respect, and take more seriously, those that do both and strive to do so in a way where each benefits - rather than hampers - the other. I wasnt_people_ in my government and my police force and my institutes of education. Not automaton robots with no soul who are admonished to bottle up every and any display of humanity.

_Your_ respect maybe - it had the opposite effect on me. So perhaps add a disclaimer of when you are speaking for yourself.

Ah the old "I have mentioned my evidence but now that you have asked for it I need you to go look for it yourself" trick. Yeah - we never get that trick on boards like ever :)

As for "going looking for it" - you made it sound like you are falling over these things every week to the point you are sick to death of stumbling over them so often. Yet now that people are interested to actually see any - you have to seemingly go to some effort to "go look" for them?

Yeah - I call tosh on this one. You're making it up lad.

So establishing whether a blatant claim is valid or not is "nit picking" now is it? This just gets funnier.

But once again - only you are creating the narrative of "necessity" in the first place. You are erecting a straw man and then beating it down.

So, apart from being a waste of time, what is the purpose of the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Everyone who breaks the rules can come up with reasons why they aren't a covid risk. Makes no difference.

As pointed out, they had better be on duty, otherwise they are breaking all sorts of lockdown rules!
    I hope they thought of this and don't get a hammering for breaking lockdown restrictions.

What a sad post

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

limnam wrote: »

Ooh now time for a ryanair challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

I am sure people who are committing crimes are finding themselves more inclined to do so because they now know the police occasionally like to dance.

The police are supposed to intimidate criminals. Do you think this helps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I thought it was cringey and felt embarrassed for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

limnam wrote: »

That’s pretty boring tbh

Also had a look at the Swiss video and all theirs is in their stations and car parks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I just don't get it. A bit of fun? What's the gain out of it? If it was some charity raising gimmick I could get on board with it. Maybe I'm the wrong generation. I do find it slightly annoying that we never see a Garda car patrolling where we live, despite burglaries, but yet they have time to construct this video??

"We don't have a car in the area, some of the lads are using it to make a fcuking dance video".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's brilliant.
    Well done all involved in making it.
    The horses stole the show.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why do I feel like this harmless video is going to cause some amount of discussion?! Mixed responses on Twitter but surely our lovely community will fully embrace it...

Garda Jerusalem’s Challenge

I reckon they got the idea for the video from your landmark competitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Nermal wrote: »
    The police are supposed to intimidate criminals. Do you think this helps?

That's not their only role though.

We have policing by consent here, and public relations are so important with that.

If people don't see them as approachable, members of the community at large, or indeed human, we don't have the benefit of people reporting crimes, helping in enquiries, and all that that adds to their job.

It's not just about intimidating. I can guarantee you seeing a video like that wouldn't make me less intimidated if the ARU were breaking my door down in full raid-mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The sourness in response to this on twitter and sure that's been coming since the challenge was thrown out by the Swiss Police.

It's a bit of craic...cheers people up a bit...and the horses:D

Fair play to them, bet not many people posting sour replies would have the balls to dance in front of a camera and put it on twitter for worldwide ridicule.

Frankie Beats isn't a Swiss policeman. He's the one who sent the challenge. He's an Irish DJ on Kiss Fm in Portugal.

So, if they did it at work then they should be strung up for wasting tax payers time and money.
    If they did it outside of working hours then they should be strung up and fined under strict covid regulations.

How do we feel if they did it in their break??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They are the most ridiculous police force I've encountered on the planet. No one takes them seriously, and I don't think they should be doing this kind of thing right now, it feels to me like they're just highlighting how utterly inept they are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I would just like to know where they are at 45 seconds in the video with the water either side? Shannon /canal maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What a sad post

Care to break it down constructively?

Genuinely, I hope to fcuk that they were all on duty, otherwise expect a huge backlash over Gardaí not adhering to the very rules that they are tasked with enforcing.

Please explain what you think is sad.

I am not against an Gardaí doing this video - as long as they are compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

They are the most ridiculous police force I've encountered on the planet. No one takes them seriously, and I don't think they should be doing this kind of thing right now, it feels to me like they're just highlighting how utterly inept they are.

If you don't take them seriously, why are you even bothering commenting?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

D3V!L wrote: »
    I thought it was cringey and felt embarrassed for all involved.

I never understood people who get embarrassed for other people.

Bit of a stupid phrase when you think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Weepsie wrote: »
    I would just like to know where they are at 45 seconds in the video with the water either side? Shannon /canal maybe?

Blennerville windmill outside Tralee maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Weepsie wrote: »

Outside Tralee near that windmill on the road out to Conor Pass

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Care to break it down constructively.

Genuinely, I hope to fcuk that they were all on duty, otherwise expect a huge backlash over Gardaí not adhering to the very rules that they are tasked with enforcing.

Please explain what you think is sad.

I am not against an Gardaí doing this video - as long as they are compliant.

Your very aggressive attitude towards the gardai probably explains your post, i don't need to extrapolate on that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its harmless sure, but in my opinion they can shove their stupid ****ing dance video where the sun doesn't shine.

I also wonder what that guy fined for walking alone on an empty beach is thinking right now. So much for essential travel only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Allinall wrote: »
    If you don't take them seriously, why are you even bothering commenting?

Those kinds of videos make me cringe too much so I didn't watch it - but I commented because this thread gives me an opportunity to vent at how useless they are. Not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

lucalux wrote: »
    Blennerville windmill outside Tralee maybe?

It was and about the only redeeming thing about tralee apart from the road out of it

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I was just watching it earlier.

I think it's a bit of fun, I loved the horses side stepping.

Yep, the horses stole the show for me. Put a smile on my face anyway.

Do they pull over a Swiss car at the start? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Your very aggressive attitude towards the gardai probably explains your post,

Example of my aggressive attitude towards an Gardaí, please.

Just one will do.

As Hastings might say “Now we’re suckin diesel, fella”.
    A bit if harmless craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's brilliant.
    Well done all involved in making it.
    The horses stole the show.

They did actually and certainly looked the fitess :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Those kinds of videos make me cringe too much so I didn't watch it - but I commented because this thread gives me an opportunity to vent at how useless they are. Not rocket science.

You come across as being very intelligent and a potential rocket scientist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think its silly.

Advertisement