Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is it for charity or something?? What's the purpose of it? My initial reaction was "what a waste of time and tax payers money"...

If it keeps them off the roads I'll take ot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just dissapointed not to see Garda Commissioner and his badly fitting uniform take part, actually would have been nice to see some, any senior Gardai take part

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It was and about the only redeeming thing about tralee apart from the road out of it

Have to agree haha, anytime I went to Kerry, once you saw the windmill, you knew you were on the home stretch to real beauty

It's harmless.

But is it really the impression the gardaí should be giving at a time where they are the organisation primarily responsible for enforcing the most repressive measures imposed on the people of this country since the Black and Tans were here?

The impression the gardaí should be giving at this time is one of sadness and regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Example of my aggressive attitude towards an Gardaí, please.

Just one will do.

Your posts towards me are coming across as very aggressive now....I'm seeing quite a trend in them on this thread, but anyways... that's not my problem

• Advertisement

Yep, the horses stole the show for me. Put a smile on my face anyway.

Do they pull over a Swiss car at the start? :D

Missed that :)

lucalux wrote: »
    Have to agree haha, anytime I went to Kerry, once you saw the windmill, you knew you were on the home stretch to real beauty

Yep, I lived in Dingle for a few years, the whole county in fairness beautiful but I coukd never get the uglyness of Tralee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

All done while off duty so no issue at all

Was the car "off duty"?? Why are Gardai using a police vehicle in their spare time? Is that legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Thought it was brilliant. When the news is filled with bad news and negativity it was nice to see something positive. Great little moral booster I’d imagine too.
    I saw it and immediately knew there would be negative comments but sure you can’t please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Your posts towards me are coming across as very aggressive now....I'm seeing quite a trend in them on this thread, but anyways... that's not my problem

I beg your pardon.

You called one of my posts sad but wouldn't back up why you thought it was sad.

You then accused my posts of being "very aggressive towards the Gardaí", but fail to show a single example of it.

Then you accuse me of being aggressive towards you.

Please give one example of my aggression towards you or an Gardaí. One.

Calling out your bullshlt and defending myself is not aggression.

• Advertisement

Was the car "off duty"?? Why are Gardai using a police vehicle in their spare time? Is that legal?

Perhaps it was in their break.
    Does that make the butt ache go away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I beg your pardon.

You called one of my posts sad but wouldn't back up why you thought it was sad.

You then accused my posts of being "very aggressive towards the Gardaí", but fail to show a single example of it.

Then you accuse me of being aggressive towards you.

Please give one example of my aggression towards you or an Gardaí. One.

Calling out your bullshlt and defending myself is not aggression.

This very post is another example of aggression...I've no idea what your issue with the gardai is, or with me... but I have no wish to engage with this type of sick post anymore, thanks and good day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have ? A feeling you already know ?? The answers to ? The questions you ? Are ? Asking ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just dissapointed not to see Garda Commissioner and his badly fitting uniform take part, actually would have been nice to see some, any senior Gardai take part

I think that day he had to detain the elf on the shelf that lived in Garda HQ was more than enough jollies for his Drewness.

In fairness though, one of the beach scenes has a female officer in a white uniform shirt, which would make her at least a Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Is there not enough misery at the moment ? Surely something to smile about can only be good

It's not like the entire force was out dancing in the streets at the same time

Allinall wrote: »
    Because golf courses are closed under level 5.

I thought that would be obvious.

So is meeting up in groups to do stupid dances.

lucalux wrote: »
    Can anyone link to any other videos, possibly released weekly, of the Gardaí doing funny videos?

LilacNails is too busy, (presumably watching the latest release:)).

In fairness LilacNails I see your points from the other side, but making claims you can't back up won't help things.

I've seen precisely one 'feel good' "bitta craic" video in the past year. Guards doing the Amarillo thing last year. Same Garda did another one but they were both for charity. All for that tbh.

As this is the second one I've seen, I don't think it's a big deal.

World class police forces are doing this, they're joining in.

They see hugely traumatising things on a day-to-day basis, they are tasked with dealing with absolute gombeens during a pandemic, and they're a community policing force in the main.

They need to have good team skills, things like this are bonding, and reinforce team spirit. A pressure valve for them in what is probably tedious and difficult work.

Not always the biggest cheerleader of guards in some instances, but in this one, I really do not see the harm, for what it is.

There's another one.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/outrage-garda-filmed-mocking-traveller-20133276

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hmmmm not sure thats "essential" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

So is meeting up in groups to do stupid dances.

Can you link to that?

Particularly the bit about stupid dances.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If the two were even moderately mutually exclusive - you might have the beginnings of an actual point. If they are not in any way however - I am not seeing a point there.

As for looking like a "sound bunch" - no one said this was their job. Nor did anyone explicitly say this video was attached to their job. The police - like anyone else - have their own free time and hobbies and if they want to get together with their work mates and make a video what has that got to do with their job or how well - or indeed badly - they perform it? If they did it on work time then also - so what? Many companies and industries have "Team building exercises" and projects that promote intra- and extra- staff relations. This video looks like it was made by departments across Ireland - in response to a police force in another country - and so certainly fits the bill.

That said however - is them seeming a "sound bunch" detrimental to their jobs or beneficial to it? We are living in a time where the US police - and consequently police around the world - are receiving a lot of push back and harassment and hostility and ire.

Something "sound" that humanizes them - and reminds the public that our police are people too - is not something I see as a bad thing and has possible benefits. And as another user already pointed out - community work and interaction with the community outside the police force _is_ in their job description. Who knew?

I am struggling to find anyone other than you using the words that they "should" "have" or "need" to do any of it. Are you putting your own emotional spin on their actions here and choosing your own words to match? Why not use words like "want" "enjoy" "just feel like it"? Why specifically choose words implying some kind of onus that does not appear to actually exist outside your head? Another user asked you this also above. Thus far you have ignored them.

What has quantity got to do with it? Either it is a good thing - a bad thing - or neither (neutral). Whether it be 1 video or 1000 - it will still remain a good thing - a bad thing - or neither. Is it possible you are projecting _your_ boredom with it onto _them_ as if your tiring of it in any way affects an actual value judgement of their actions?

1) Again - this is only a valid point if the two are mutually exclusive. If you can show their engaging in such videos is directly and actively and materially taking away from their stated goals as a police force _then_ you have a point. Otherwise you just have a moan.

2) Yes you are right they have more responsibility and pressure and objectives to meet in recent times due to social unrest and homelessness and pandemics and much more. But so too therefore do they require the ability to let their hair down - unwind - have fun - and reach out to others in their community (this video was an inter policing effort between them and the Swiss police for example) for support and empathy and understanding and humanization. So your point they have things to do is a point _for_ such silliness not against it. If even one police person in that video benefited in terms of mental health and empathy and enjoyment in their times of stress and hardship then the video was worth it. Let alone the rest of the police around the country - or other countries - who watched it and maybe had the same.

There you go with your "need" narrative again that you appear to have entirely invented by yourself and have only upset yourself with it.

If you think humanizing the police and showing them to be people who enjoy a dance or a laugh as much of the rest of us is preventing them being taken seriously then that's an issue with the public - not the police.

Again there is nothing - and there damn well should be nothing - in that video that is in any way mutually exclusive with taking them seriously in their job. Just like the rest of us can be silly in our free time (office Christmas parties come to mind) should not change the level of respect you treat each other with when you all return to the office on Monday morning.

Yeah. Right. I am sure people who are committing crimes are finding themselves more inclined to do so because they now know the police occasionally like to dance. I mean I was just about to murder my neighbor last week and I thought "Nah I better not - those automatons without music in their hearts will get me" but now I know they can dance - sure I'm off over there with an axe right now. Bring on the purge!

Have you considered not looking at things you are sick of seeing? I find it a never ending source of amusement how many people go into twitter threads or forum threads to look at things for no other reason than to moan to all and sundry about how sick of seeing that thing they are. Even here on boards when you get a thread about some Topic X - you get users who actively go to the effort of opening the thread and reading it so they can say how sick they are of Topic X. How is this not labelled as actual insanity - is beyond me. Do these people also go and sit in pubs for a couple of hours so they can moan "Man I am sick of seeing people drink beer all the time!!!!".

Somehow in my life I seem to have developed this _amazing and astounding_ skill of simply not opening or looking at the things that have become boring or annoying to me. If only I could disseminate this amazing skill to everyone somehow. Perhaps I should start by naming it. Maybe "Having a modicum of damn self control" might be a good working title to start out with.

And I have more respect, and take more seriously, those that do both and strive to do so in a way where each benefits - rather than hampers - the other. I wasnt_people_ in my government and my police force and my institutes of education. Not automaton robots with no soul who are admonished to bottle up every and any display of humanity.

_Your_ respect maybe - it had the opposite effect on me. So perhaps add a disclaimer of when you are speaking for yourself.

Ah the old "I have mentioned my evidence but now that you have asked for it I need you to go look for it yourself" trick. Yeah - we never get that trick on boards like ever :)

As for "going looking for it" - you made it sound like you are falling over these things every week to the point you are sick to death of stumbling over them so often. Yet now that people are interested to actually see any - you have to seemingly go to some effort to "go look" for them?

Yeah - I call tosh on this one. You're making it up lad.

So establishing whether a blatant claim is valid or not is "nit picking" now is it? This just gets funnier.

But once again - only you are creating the narrative of "necessity" in the first place. You are erecting a straw man and then beating it down.

I honestly wouldn't have wasted the time and energy to compose a reply like this - but fair play, well said.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think that day he had to detain the elf on the shelf that lived in Garda HQ was more than enough jollies for his Drewness.

In fairness though, one of the beach scenes has a female officer in a white uniform shirt, which would make her at least a Superintendent.

There's a least a couple of Superintendents in the video. More power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

I always found that story hilarious. Pavee Point and all getting on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's a bit of craic that was started by Swiss Police.

I don't see how they're any cost to the tax payer. Most likely some Garda member made it themselves in their spare time and photography and editing these days is very easy with drones and decent DSLR or even camera phones. Editing is easy too.

I think it's well done and Ireland looks great. Loved the coastal shots and the horses.

Anger will be huge for many, already seen it labelled disrespectful and an abuse of power by outrage monkeys on Twitter.

It seems people can't have some fun just because times are tough.

Outrageous.

Len Goodman has been on Twitter saying the foot positions are simply intolerable and Bruno retweeted him, adding that the timing is so Irish.

I can see Simon Coveney giving the Home Office a beatdown over this, like he did to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

Absolutely fantastic video! This is the type of video where the eyes of the world could be on Ireland.

great video!

But yes - the moaning brigade is already and will always be out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Thanks for the link, but that's not an official garda video.
    I was under the impression LilacNails was referring to official Garda videos, being released and shared by official channels.

That's one Garda, making an eejit of himself (imo) in his uniform (silly), and got suspended for his efforts as far as I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This very post is another example of aggression...I've no idea what your issue with the gardai is, or with me... but I have no wish to engage with this type of sick post anymore, thanks and good day

Seriously.
    Give one single example of my posts being aggressive towards an Gardaí.
    You made the accusation.
    Now show an example.

If you cannot, please retract the accusation.

Allinall wrote: »
    Can you link to that?

Particularly the bit about stupid dances.

All of the below breached. Ireland, the world capital of DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO.

no visitors are permitted in private homes/gardens (except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble)

no social/family gatherings should take place in other settings

people may meet with people from one other household in outdoor settings when taking exercise

people will be required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home

no organised outdoor events should take place

Individual training only. No exercise or dance classes. No indoor or outdoor gatherings involving “individual training”.

no indoor or outdoor exercise group activities including those involving children should take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I always found that story hilarious. Pavee Point and all getting on board.

Ha. "What's after C. Doesn't matter I was never good at maths anyway"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mother of god some people have no joy in them and would the last dribble out of others joy
    I thought it was fabulous and fair dues to all
    The horses were the highlight for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I wonder if the sad cases giving out here are the same spas that the gardai have to deal with whist doing 12 or 14 hour tours of duty since march last year or do they only sprout petty inane sneery little comments on line ?

gowls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We've had multiple stabbings in recent weeks. They should have held off for a bit to release the video.

And to be honest I have no love for them doing videos like that. Look at how silly the UK Police look now a days. They were amongst the most respected police forces in the world up until about 5 years ago. Then they were pushed by the PR Department to engage in social-quasi political causes.

Advertisement