Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I thought it was a bit stompy and and lacked hip action.

They were sometimes out of step but those Stallions were......FAB-U-LOUS

RedLiquidCopperbutterfly-small.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think it's excessive and not the best use of state funds. There is a € cost to every minute of an employees time. There are a lot of people in this clip. The production also costs money.

There is a PR benefit, undoubtedly, to producing these type of videos.

I think they just got the balance wrong. Nice idea but excessive execution. Not a hanging offence but hopefully this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

We need more of this, not less. Feck off You who are permanently offended.

The nuns and monks dancing were brilliant..

It’s uolifting, and I enjoyed it. Great beat to the music too.

I suppose the key point is that the nuns/monks were doing it on their own dime/time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

How nice to see them dancing on beaches. I wonder when I’ll ever get to see a beach again - could I claim I’m going there to take part in a stupid dance video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

murpho999 wrote: »

Waiting for the "what about the homeless" comments now.
    What about the homeless?
    RandRuns wrote: »
    Did they make a video too?

Poe's Law

No matter how obvious the sarcasm/satire there is always
    one simpleton who will take it at face value.

• Advertisement

You think that time could not be invested more wisely??

That entirely depends on how you measure the investment of time in any job. If you pick one one sub set of the total goals of any work force - and then measure an investment of time against it - the result will entirely depend on your cherry picked subset.

For example if I take a lot of staff in a programming company out tomorrow to do paint-balling for a few days - then clearly this is not a wise investment in getting the software system to parse Brexitt better.

But the issue would not be the paint-balling. The issue would be that I cherry picked a single goal. Badly.

If however I picked out the goals "internal team building" and "stress reduction in my staff" and "mental health" and "improved relations with the public" and "humanisation of my staff to people inside and outside my organization" then the evaluation of the quality of investment of time is massively altered.

So your cherry picking stabbings as a single goal - rather than evaluating all the goals of the force internally and externally - is just that. Cherry Picking. And it says nothing about their investment of time here. And declaring your own point to be valid - and using the age old "people with brain cells agree with me" move - adds nothing really.

But let's for a moment pretend you have a point and go with it to see why even granting your point still makes you look wrong here. Are we are living in a time where Police "vocations" are at a low? Mainly because of what is going on in the US spilling over into discourse here in the US. It is not really the highest point in our history for inspiring upcoming generations to want to pursue a career in the the police force.

Is there any chance at all that a video of this nature might appeal to that generation and maybe make them consider that a career in the police force is not solely made up of what they hear about on Twitter or US media and there might be more to it in terms of community and teams and relationships and all the other things many of us want in our careers? And is there no chance at all that a video like this humanizes the police force in a way that might make them more approachable to the law abiding public? Remember many convictions are secured - and cases closed - solely due to the support of people coming forward and approaching the police with their information and support. And in a police force where mental health is constantly an issue - is team building fun not going to help them at all?

Is none of that a "wise" investment of time? Because your post suggests you think the only wise and valid investment of police time is to put them on the front lines and nothing else. In which case I think you might be hampered in this discussion by a seriously narrow and tiny view of the force and what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly find it hard to understand why people even care about this kind of thing.

Someone's always looking to be outraged I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The Inbetween is mine and beer Revolu, stop the bickering and get back on topic, one and only warning .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think it's excessive and not the best use of state funds. There is a € cost to every minute of an employees time. There are a lot of people in this clip. The production also costs money.

I think they just got the balance wrong. Nice idea but excessive execution. Not a hanging offence but hopefully this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

I wonder if the cost of this video will come out?
    That wasn't a cheap production by any stretch of the imagination.

I think that maybe they were asking for trouble with that amount of money and time spent on a video that could have been done for peanuts.

I'm not against this video, at all, but I fear it might bite them on the ass with regard to budget and covid restrictions.

I have no wish to see an Gardaí face more scandal.

But having said that they had plenty of time to think about the public reaction as that video wasn't made in a couple of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

Ah be realistic. We all know it cost peanuts to put that video together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Great craic . Now I have found more on you tube
    The Dominican nuns !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19x_eu1-ug

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

SAMTALK wrote: »
    A lot better than the videos of all the dickheads thinking they're funny when stopped at checkpoints and taking footage of their "witty" replies and quotes about their rights

Amen to this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Its a symptom of the emasculation of Irish society and Gardai.

You look at the state of British police now, a worldwide laughing stock. Were political correctness is their guiding principle, and they are now a tool of the cultural left. More interested in offensive tweets to millionaire footballers and taking knees for BLM than investigating pakistani grooming gangs.

You clearly don't know anything about video production.

Again, I'm not against this video but it cost a lot of money and time.

I used to work in TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I'd say there's very few employees who havent used company time for something other than work, let it be a phone call, text, internet etc

Just take it what it is, a nice feel good video which is a change from videos of protests, fights, etc.

I don't think it's going to bankrupt the country ( or at least not that on its own )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's a disgrace. They should be out issuing Covid fines.

No wait... let me think about this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Would the Russian, Chinese or Indian police do this? No of course not. Nor most of Eastern Europe or Middle East.

Its another symptom of the decline and esmaculation of Western Europe. Then they wonder why the countries above have taken over and Western Europe is in decline unable to serve it's citizens or even replace itself with rapidly decling birth rate.

The Kinahan cartel will be laughing in their Dubai and Spanish mansions

I disagree. A lot of personnel are involved. It wasn't just 2 mins of their time..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

YellowLead wrote: »
    reminding us all that there are beauty spots out there we just can’t get to them now

We can get to them now, just get 5 or 6 of your mates and say you are going to make a dance video, clearly that is allowed under level 5 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I cringed all the way through the 30 seconds that i could manage to watch...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

I cringed all the way through the 30 seconds that i could manage to watch...

Says a lot about you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

I used to work in TV.

I know enough to come to the conclusion that it was an inexpensive video to put together.

I've another possible angle on this.

As TV is still being made, that obviously is considered an essential service. Movies are being made, sports being filmed etc.

So, if they hired a professional production company, then, I guess, the Gardaí would be essential workers for that production.

Then it wouldn't matter if they are on or off duty as regards to covid restrictions.

Just a thought.
    I am assuming that they thought this through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Cheap shots like you just did to me there. Pot/kettle/black eh!

You think that time could not be invested more wisely??

6 stabbings in one day in Dublin/ several deaths maybe a anti knife taskforce?

Nah let's make stupid tik tok videos dancing like trained monkeys.

No I'm not a misery junkie whatever that is I'm tired and perhaps contrary as I'm tired but my point is valid.

These garda's time should be better used, anyone with more than one braincell knows this.

I'm saying dancing around like eejits is not appropriate during lockdown. Especially with people killing themselves.

Facts and cheap shots aren't the same thing you know , you just come across as so petty and sad in response to something that is supposed to be cheerful and bring a little happiness to peoples lives. judging by the general response it did just that but people like you are trying to strangle it . do the videos like this that paramedics firemen and nurses do offend you as much or is it just gardai you hate and begrudge ?

how many of these stabbings have resulted in arrests ? do you know ?
    I hate to drag you kicking as screaming into the real world but there are stabbings in Ireland every day and it doesn't make the news ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Always love the 'waste of taxpayers money' bit.

Half the people on boards are here on their employers time, but they still find room to get high and mighty about the waste of tax payers money.

this !!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I used to work in TV.

There are alot of very talented people in AGS who had previous occupations like you used to have. In fact one of the female gardai in the video at the Garda college was in riverdance. There is no funding for this, it would be done voluntarily and on breaks. Now good luck and goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I used to work in TV.

You're clearly full of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,463 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm saying dancing around like eejits is not appropriate during lockdown. Especially with people killing themselves.

You sound like one of these people and they'd never be an appropriate time to release the video and you'll always find an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Was this filmed in Dubai??

• Advertisement

I know enough to come to the conclusion that it was an inexpensive video to put together.

Except it's not.
    It has multiple locations all over the country.
    Large numbers of people involved.
    Loads of high quality drone footage.
    Real camera operators. Steady cam. Horses.
    This was professionally made and probably took weeks to put together.

Advertisement