Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any 'compact' mobiles any more?

Options
  • 02-02-2021 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello All! :)

I need to get a new mobile to replace my 5 year old Samsung, with it's 4-inch screen. To be honest, I like my little phone. It's just the right size for my pockets, has never had any issues with calls, and has the only 2 apps on it that I really use: Whatsapp and Dropbox. It cost a whole €65 when I bought it, so I never worried about a case or screen protector, and despite tons of drops, the screen never cracked; in fact although the case has some wear and tear, the screen hasn't got a scratch on it! The only problem is that the old version of Android is a bit screwy, and I can't download a new App that I need from Bank of Ireland, for online banking. (I've always used the web interface for online banking, but now they insist on having the App for 2-level security; why a text message with a code isn't sufficient is beyond me!)

Anyway, I'd like to get a new phone about the same size as the old one, but pretty much everything out there has a 6 inch screen, or larger, and they don't really appeal to me. The only exception seems to be the iPhone SE 2020, but I'd prefer something a bit less expensive. So, question is, are there any phones out there with a 4-5 inch screen, that are cheaper than that iPhone (which comes in at €490 for the base model)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Some of the old style phones are available, but they are not applicable here. One of my brothers complains a bit about the trend towards big clunky smartphones, when something small is a good deal smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What's your current phone? Chances are it has big thick bezels all around the screen. Newer phones have much less meaning you can get a bigger screen without making the phone any bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 smuj2016

ED E wrote: »

Thanks for those. :) I'd never heard of Blu, although apparently well known enough for 'Unbox Therapy' to review them on YouTube! You're right though - I wouldn't use any of those particular options myself. I was mulling things over last night, and I came to the conclusion that I'll just keep my little Samsung for when I'm out and about - because it's grand for calls and messaging - but I'll buy another not-too-expensive phone (with a larger screen) for using at home for certain things, e.g. for the Bank of Ireland App I need, and for watching YouTube in bed rather than using my laptop! :D

One other thing I wanted from a new phone was to try out the 4G capabilities around my area. My existing phone is 3G, but still works grand as a backup hotspot, but I'm hoping the 4G speeds will be much better - and possibly allow me to ditch my landline broadband which is pretty poor at the moment in my neck of the woods. I'll start another thread for that though, over in the Midband forum.

• Advertisement

Some of the old style phones are available, but they are not applicable here. One of my brothers complains a bit about the trend towards big clunky smartphones, when something small is a good deal smarter.

Thanks! Yup, me and your brother think alike! :P

jdon72 wrote: »

Appreciated jdon72! :)

DopeTech wrote: »
    What's your current phone? Chances are it has big thick bezels all around the screen. Newer phones have much less meaning you can get a bigger screen without making the phone any bigger.

Thanks! Yeah I did look at some of the choices there. Certainly makes a difference. I've now decided to get the best of both worlds by keeping my small phone for out and about, and getting a second (big screen) phone for other uses. Who knows, maybe I'll just get used to it and wonder why I was bothered in the first place! :)

For comparison though, my current phone - and so far my first and only 'smart' phone - is the Samsung Galaxy Trend 2 Lite:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Trend_2_Lite

Does exactly the job I originally wanted, 5 years ago, and still going strong even if a little underpowered for the modern App world! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

smuj2016 wrote: »
    Thanks! Yeah I did look at some of the choices there. Certainly makes a difference. I've now decided to get the best of both worlds by keeping my small phone for out and about, and getting a second (big screen) phone for other uses. Who knows, maybe I'll just get used to it and wonder why I was bothered in the first place! :)

For comparison though, my current phone - and so far my first and only 'smart' phone - is the Samsung Galaxy Trend 2 Lite:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Trend_2_Lite

Does exactly the job I originally wanted, 5 years ago, and still going strong even if a little underpowered for the modern App world! :D

You can get a bigger phone without it being a brick. Something like the Pixel 4a, it's small by today's standards but still has a decent screen. Big improvement over what you have now. And because it's a google device it'll get updates for years to come.

DopeTech wrote: »
    You can get a bigger phone without it being a brick. Something like the Pixel 4a, it's small by today's standards but still has a decent screen. Big improvement over what you have now. And because it's a google device it'll get updates for years to come.

Yep, seen some reviews of the 4a. Looks like a decent phone all right, but I think I'd go for the iPhone SE 2 in that price range - mainly because I have a MacBook on order, and it'd be nice to have the easier connectivity between the two. (The MacBook is my first toe in the proverbial Apple 'ecosystem'!) But that's an aside anyway! :)

What I think I'll do for now is keep my small phone for out and about; get a half-decent circa-€200 Android phone for my other needs, and then probably get an iPhone SE 2 or 12-Mini in a year or two - when the prices have come down a bit! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement