Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing kitchen halogen spots lights to LED spot lights

Options
  • 02-02-2021 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi
    I am changing my halogen down lights to led spot lights in kitchen. I understand the old lights have a transformer that has to be removed and then the new LED downlight can connect straight into the main wire for each one of the new lights.
    Is there a certain connection/connector that has to replace old transformer i.e LED driver or can I just used standard terminal block connectors to join the new LED 2 wire connector to main wire.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Kealyboy

There is a connector under some red insulation tape where the old transformer connects into the main wire. Can I just disconnect the old transformer from there and then wire the new LED connector 2wire straight into that connection/connector?

When I expose that connector (under red insulation) will that cable be 2core or 3 core cable. The reason I am asking this is because the LED connector has two wires so what if there is a earth cable there aswell?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

If they're under a bedroom I would just replace the fittings and fit new fire-rated led fittings

That way you maintain the fire barrier that the ceiling slab is designed for rather than some of the old halogen fittings which are basically just holes in the ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Kealyboy

I have it all sorted there now. Is it safe to put attic insulation down around the bulb with regards to fire safety etc?

Kealyboy wrote: »
    I have it all sorted there now. Is it safe to put attic insulation down around the bulb with regards to fire safety etc?

Generally not

Some downlights are suitable for covering with thermal insulation but they'll be labelled as such

https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/aurora-insulation-coverable-new.html#description

Insulation coverable downlights

Also acoustic, fire rated and resistant to airflow

Only about €10

The old type open halogen fittings and standard fittings should be replaced when upgrading from halogen to led, rather than just changing the lamp holder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Del007

Are these a good brand?

We're looking to put some led downlights into our kitchen.

I've seen the brands Luceco and Integral also recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Del007 wrote: »
    Are these a good brand?

We're looking to put some led downlights into our kitchen.

I've seen the brands Luceco and Integral also recommended.

Aurora is good anyway

Get the fire/acoustic/airtight fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Del007

Hmob wrote: »
    Aurora is good anyway

Get the fire/acoustic/airtight fittings

Thanks

These any good?

https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/aurora-insulation-coverable-new.html#description

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Del007 wrote: »

They're 4-in-1 and cheap decent brand

Dunno about brexit

Advertisement