Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of family member

Options
  • 02-02-2021 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My brother recently died and has a current account with approx 15k in it, which is needed to pay the funeral expenses.

I'm the sole beneficiary in his will and the executor - is it just a matter of going to the branch where his account is and giving them my ID, a copy of the will & the interim death cert?

Is there any other documentation I would need with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

We’re very sorry to hear about your loss. 

You’d certainly be able to discuss this further with our Bereavement Support Team. I’ve provided a link below to where you can request a call from the team, I hope it helps. 

https://bit.ly/3pIS3Qn 

I hope this information helps. If you’ve any further queries please don’t hesitate to get back in touch with us here, we’ll certainly do our best to help. 

Thanks, Eve 

• Registered Users Posts: 9 metroline

Thanks, but when I fill in that contact form it won't submit - it keeps giving an error saying to fill in the message part, but I have done (1159 of 1500 characters used!)

Could you give me an email address for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

metroline wrote: »
    Thanks, but when I fill in that contact form it won't submit - it keeps giving an error saying to fill in the message part, but I have done (1159 of 1500 characters used!)

Could you give me an email address for them?
    Thanks mertoline for checking back in with us. 

I'm afraid the Team do not have a direct email address.

If you have any special characters within the message part of the form, this would be the likely reason it is not going through for you. 

If you could remove these ()! etc it should work okay. 

I am adding in some information relating to funeral expenses here

Thinking of you at this difficult time. 

Alison

Thanks, it was the special characters that did it - could you feed that back to your IT team, I'm sure lots of people run into the same problem but don't know it's that simple!

Thanks for help, I'm going to go into his branch today to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Thanks, it was the special characters that did it - could you feed that back to your IT team, I'm sure lots of people run into the same problem but don't know it's that simple!

You're very welcome, thanks for checking in with us and will certainly pass on your experience with the form. 

Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hello Metroline
    Sorry for your loss.
    For me, when my parents-in-law were buried, not at same time, the bill from undertakers came a month or so after the funeral. A solicitor dealt with probate, which you can do if you want, but check at start price. For father-in-law it was a percentage, and since he dies pre-2008 but, the house and small amount of land was valued at top-end, so solicitor got a large chunk for very little work.
    For my mother, solicitor charged a fixed fee. I was one executor and solicitor can follow up with banks, credit union, insurance companies etc. for open accounts and policies that may form part of estate. If you brother had any mortgage, there is likely to be an insurance policy there, and they should be notified.  
    As fas as I can remember, you have about a month to notify motor insurance company, as policy will no longer be valid. Ownership of vehicle may need to be changed. House insurance, utility bills, etc.
    Look after yourself.

a_ominous wrote: »
    Hello Metroline
    Sorry for your loss.
    For me, when my parents-in-law were buried, not at same time, the bill from undertakers came a month or so after the funeral. A solicitor dealt with probate, which you can do if you want, but check at start price. For father-in-law it was a percentage, and since he dies pre-2008 but, the house and small amount of land was valued at top-end, so solicitor got a large chunk for very little work.
    For my mother, solicitor charged a fixed fee. I was one executor and solicitor can follow up with banks, credit union, insurance companies etc. for open accounts and policies that may form part of estate. If you brother had any mortgage, there is likely to be an insurance policy there, and they should be notified.  
    As fas as I can remember, you have about a month to notify motor insurance company, as policy will no longer be valid. Ownership of vehicle may need to be changed. House insurance, utility bills, etc.
    Look after yourself.
    Thanks for this info, I have everything in hand though as unfortunately I was the executor for another family member 

You're very welcome, thanks for checking in with us and will certainly pass on your experience with the form. 

Alison
    I filled in the relevant form and had copies taken of all necessary paperwork in branch on Wednesday 3rd and when I hadn't heard anything back from the bereavement support team I send a message using the link you gave (no special characters this time!) last Wednesday 10th, but I've still not been contacted.

The link does say they'll respond within 1 working day, so I had expected to have heard something by now - can I PM my details for you to pass on to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

I filled in the relevant form and had copies taken of all necessary paperwork in branch on Wednesday 3rd and when I hadn't heard anything back from the bereavement support team I send a message using the link you gave (no special characters this time!) last Wednesday 10th, but I've still not been contacted.

The link does say they'll respond within 1 working day, so I had expected to have heard something by now - can I PM my details for you to pass on to them?
    Hi metroline, 

Thanks for getting back to us and we're sorry to hear you have not been contacted yet. The team can be contacted directly on Freephone 1800 800656 between 9.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement