Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone (Samsung A50) using 'phantom' data on second SIM

• 02-02-2021 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi guys- hoping somebody can offer some advice here.

I have a work-supplied dual-sim phone:
    • SIM1 = work number
    • SIM2 = personal number, which I keep "alive" by topping-up by a fiver every few months. I don't ever really use this number, but I've had it a long time and as such do not want to lose it.

Lately, SIM2 has been drawing data. I've checked all available settings that I can see on the phone- and nothing explains why it is drawing this data. It is only happening when mobile data is set to on. Under 'Settings > Connections > SIM card manager' all of Calls, Text messages and Mobile data are set to SIM1, nothing is set to SIM2.

An example of the charges is below:
    16 Dec 2020 15:44 - DATA - €0.0000 1.00kB
    16 Dec 2020 15:44 - DATA - €1.6446 2.00kB
    17 Dec 2020 02:46 - DATA - €0.0000 1.00kB
    17 Dec 2020 02:46 - DATA - €1.6446 2.00kB
    (I'd have a more recent example only myeir has been down for maintenance for a while, have DM'd them on Twitter looking for support- they were no use the last time, only confirming that the charges actually happened)

There is no data used on SIM2 according to the phone (Connections > Mobile data usage) since 30 November.

Phone is a Samsung A50 (SM-A505FN) running Android 10 (latest available).

Any ideas? I've googled the issue of course, but can't see anything useful. The fact that this only happens (or seems to happen- I'm loathe to losing many fivers for testing purposes!) when data is on suggests, as eir would say, that this is a phone-side issue.

Apologies if this has been asked already, of course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭lordsheepface

It doesn't explain the problem you are having, but may be a workaround - have you tried to delete the APN settings on the phone for the 2nd SIM to prevent it connecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭frankled

It doesn't explain the problem you are having, but may be a workaround - have you tried to delete the APN settings on the phone for the 2nd SIM to prevent it connecting?

Wasn't sure how to achieve this but thanks- will keep this in mind. Might hold off in case somebody comes miraculously in cracking the case as a known issue first!

Advertisement