Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For those who are trying to quit

• 02-02-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Is there anything someone in your life could say to you that would help?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The short answer is no. Most people who have successfully stopped smoking have done so after many, many previous serious attempts. You just need to be in the right frame of mind to do it. It is important of course to be supportive and to not judge when an attempt fails. I lived with my elderly mother when I stopped, she was constantly telling me I was wasting my time trying to stop, that I wouldn’t be successful, that it would be the same as all the other times etc. etc. Obviously, don’t do that. The ability to be successful or otherwise comes from within and anything supportive or otherwise people said to me I don’t think affected the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

The short answer is no. Most people who have successfully stopped smoking have done so after many, many previous serious attempts. You just need to be in the right frame of mind to do it. It is important of course to be supportive and to not judge when an attempt fails. I lived with my elderly mother when I stopped, she was constantly telling me I was wasting my time trying to stop, that I wouldn’t be successful, that it would be the same as all the other times etc. etc. Obviously, don’t do that. The ability to be successful or otherwise comes from within and anything supportive or otherwise people said to me I don’t think affected the outcome.

Agreed. It’s all within and only for your own well being

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I had to do something as I was on a lot of unfiltered joints when I was younger. And lots of unfiltered rolled cigarettes later. They say each unfiltered joint is similar in damage to a 20 box. Vaping took my attention for a small while. Now I'm rolling with 3 filters doing 3 skin joints same as when I was a young man when I was ganja king.

3 filters is enough to keep out the nicotine. I get no cravings. And it's the nicotine that raises your blood pressure. I walk a lot, walking lowers your blood pressure. So that see-saw, going from walking to smoking is not good for you.

My reply is the same as the others in the sense that someone is not going to do this until they get a bodily warning. And I would have no interest in standing over someone that wants to go down to two filters so they can feel the burn waiting for that bodily warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I'm off since October. 32 smoking since 17... had breaks of a year twice In there but went back on them. I was only smoking about 4 a day for the last 2 years as I truly hated them. This time I know I'll never go back. No craving and haven't even taught about them in months till I seen this thread

Advertisement