Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Early Years Edu-racer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Week Nine Report:

Over the proverbial hump of the middle of the plan - although you wouldn't think it looking at the mileage that is to be accrued over the next few weeks. Fresh (so to speak) after my efforts in Trim and looking ahead to the first of the 20-milers on the plan (which only a few weeks ago I realised there was an extra one on the agenda that I never copped on the plan before!).

Monday: S&C Session.

Tuesday: Intervals - 7*1K with 200m recoveries. Total Distance: 11.6K

Wednesday: Long Run. Total Distance 16.1K

Thursday: Alternate Mile Run (5:30min/km to 4:55min/km approx). Total Distance: 11.3K

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: Long Run. Total Distance 32.2K

Sunday: Club Social Run. Total Distance: 10K

Weekly Distance: 81.2K

The Rundown:

So, let's begin with the work related stuff. While I knew the direction I was going, Trim really did tell me where my head was at. So I handed in my notice on Monday. I've been unhappy for some time in my role and if anything, Trim showed me how it is affecting something I enjoy doing - my running. I had made the decision prior to it, but the thoughts about it definitely played a role on the day. It is like a weight has lifted off me. Believe me, given the way this week has gone, I'm glad. The only way I made it through the week was safe in the knowledge that my time there is coming to an end. It's bittersweet, in a way. I have enjoyed my time, but the last six months have been difficult and I'm very much aware I'm not going to achieve what I want there. In a way, working in the early years, which is losing people by the new time, I am in a good position to be able to walk away with reasonable confidence of finding something. I am very much contemplating a change in career, but I honestly don't know where to begin in the short-term. So for now, I'll likely remain the Early Years Edu-Racer. Though maybe in the not too distance future I might need to re-name or restart this log!

Right, that's the work stuff dealt with. Okay, one last thing. My hours got changed, which is a pain in the arse for running. So instead of finishing at 5 on my running days, I'm not done at 6. So it's made things awkward, particularly with club training at 7. That said, I had already chosen not to go to training this week. There is a club social run to end the current training cycle on Sunday, so I fell back to the programme plan as it was more beneficial. Oh, last work thing, I swear. Our short staffing issue also made lunches unpredictable. I got only 35 mins with the PT on Monday and ended up deciding to cancel Thursday as I felt the time constrains wouldn't make it worthwhile. Ahh the joys. To make matters worse, I'm 9-6 all next week. <sarcasm>Yippee</sarcasm>

The running week went grand. Like last week, I could feel that bit of tiredness in the legs after Trim. I was actually glad that the Thursday run was an 'easier' alternate mile run as opposed to having to push it harder. Tuesdays Interval session was looking for 10K pace, but I set up a wide pace alert to take into account the efforts in Trim, so those interval times were more 10M/HM pace. No point killing myself.

This week saw the first of the 20+ mile runs. It went really well. Started earlier before the lads doing 18M. Caught them by mile 5. Left them with about 3 miles to go to ensure I kept my target average pace in check. I felt comfortable on a busy route. Heart rate was in a really good place. I know I haven't done a 20 mile since 2020, but comparing my last to today in terms of effort and the like - night and day difference.

Confidence in growing. I know I have been training for an average marathon pace to get in my in just under 3:30. I'm at a point do I start to maybe just nudge that pace faster given how well the plan has been going so far. It's the eternal debate. Play it safe, get what I want or do I want to feel like 'jeez, I could of gone a few minutes quicker'. It's something I'm currently playing around with.

Sunday for a change, I'm doing a little bit more than planned. The club held a social run to end the recent training cycle . Great opportunity for me to get out and meet some new people and put myself out there more. Intentions was to go for breakfast after but the missus has a dodgy stomach so that put paid to that plan.

Next week, it's a bit of a step back. No mid-week 10 miles, although Tuesday has a 9 mile intervals. The roster change at work, plus the fact that the club will just be starting a new training cycle, will likely see me do my own things there. The long run has it as a 15 mile quick (as in around HMP ) run. Most likely it's where you would place your second HM race attempt in the plan. I'm hesitant to go out and try that solo for two reasons. First, I haven't found a half even that might work. The second is that the change in the plan to accommodate Raheny and Trim pushed my race efforts deeper into the plan. Do I really want to add yet another race effort to things and risk things? So my current thought process is to of course to do the distance, but to treat it as a marathon pace tempo run. That in itself could be a huge confidence builder for maintaining that kind of pace and see what it's at. Again, it's something I need to think about as the week goes on.

Into the double digits of the weekly plan we go!

I can’t sleep, so now is probably as good as time to blog and throw out a question.

How best to judge your prospective marathon pace?

It’s a question I’ve been asking myself quite a bit in recent weeks. Those following the blog know I’ve had two good race events in Raheny and Trim that have all arrows ticking in the right direction. When I started this journey, the intention was to get as close to 3:30 as I could. I felt the need to give myself the best opportunity to do this was follow a sub-3:30 plan, which I had used the first half of to compete in half marathons late last year.

So far, I’ve hit every session. The mileage is good. So far I’m injury free. Heart rate readings seem in the right place. I haven’t felt tanked after any of the sessions. There has been at least two long runs so far where it asked me to hit marathon pace for the second half of. Both went well and I ran under a time that would have brought my in around 3:30 mark.

Which brings me to the question I am now pondering. Do I play it safe, hit that goal of 3:30 or below. Or do try to harness the fitness I have in my right now and aim to go lower. Originally, the idea behind Manchester was to set me up for Dublin. But that been said, chances are Manchester probably provides a better opportunity for me to set a proper PB as opposed to Dublin Do I let that chance slip away.

As I stated in last week’s blog entry, I have a 15 miler on Saturday. No races on that date and my intention is to run it at a race pace. My thinking at the moment is to run that under that 4:50-4:55min/km I have used for any run marked MP so far in the plan. The thinking is to put 15 miles at a pace, in the shoes I plan to run Manchester in, might give me a good idea of where things stand.

Just wondering what experience people actually have of pivoting mid-plan. I suppose I’m not thinking ‘jeez, let’s go sub-3 here or anything. But I’m thinking I could, potentially knock 10-20ish seconds off a kilometer. Maybe that’s been really arrogant either. I’m sure there is plenty of experience here on this forum that might be able to enlighten me on this one… 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Not arrogant at all. I'm in a similar position but my marathon is in two days and I've decided to start a little cautious and try feel the sweet spot and keep an eye on HR.

How many 20 milers have you got banked? What's the plan like the following week and will it be compromised running 15 miles at MP?Just STH to keep in mind.

If I could rewind my own training to a couple of months ago, I'd make sure with 6 weeks out ( your timeline) that I had at least 3x20 milers done and had a half marathon lined up, if you're looking at 3'20, a sub 95 half would boost that confidence.

I'd then have a recovery week at 5 weeks out and at 4 & 3 weeks out I'd be trying to hone in on MP based off the half result.

A few weeks back I ran 69 for a 10 mile solo time trial on a Thursday and tried to back it up with a faster than needed 18 miler with 3x3 miles at half marathon pace (I should have recovered properly from TT). It wrecked me for a couple of weeks and I got very sluggish, trying to recover from the exuberance all while trying to stick to the upcoming plan. I ended up having to cut back on some of the intended sessions.

I think you're right about going for it now over Dublin, Manchester a much quicker course. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

All things considered if the conditions are good on the day and your last few weeks of training go to plan my advise to you would be to keep your eye on the ball, stick to the plan for 3.30 and nail it.

***But I'm better at giving advice than taking it 👉️,personally I would go for 3.20, **** it, DNF or 3.20 finish either way you will learn. You have Dublin to fix any fuckups.

So far, I have one 20 miler in the bank which I did last week - which for all intensive purposes went very well. This week, aside from the faster pace long run, is essentially a step-back week. I think it comes out at about 39 miles for the week overall. The following three weeks on the plan are quite busy in terms of the long runs. Next week will be 20 miles of split pace (first 10 miles at 5:35min/km, second 10 miles at MP). Week after that it has a 'slow' 22 miler (it lists a 9min mile for pace), followed up the week after steady 20miler (back to 5:35min/km). I missed that last 20 miler until I reviewed the plan one night after a few drinks. Had to check the following morning to see if it truly was there. So in total, there will be four 20 mile runs within the plan.

That leaves me three weeks out from the race. Not a massive taper to be honest, but I'm trusting the plan as I have so far.

I can echo your thoughts about ensuring adequate recovery. I definitely felt those race efforts at Raheny and Trim in the following weeks of training. This week, I haven't had the same sort of fatigue, which is precisely the reason I'm not treating tomorrow's 15 mile at HMP as it says. Okay, pushing it to MP is going to be a test, but I'm not looking at three very hard race efforts in four weeks. If I use this plan for Dublin again, I would definitely avoid trying to shoehorn a race into the plan as I have. I'd of rather had two really good half races spread apart as planned. I've actually managed to avoid loading anymore races into the schedule. Was sorely tempted by that Clane 5K on Tuesday, as I was with going to Portloaise for St. Patrick's Day. Part of me is like 'sure it's only 5K, I could replace it for an interval session'. But it's practically three weeks out with the Portloaise race. Too risky. But I'm trying to diligent and not overwork myself. It's the same with thinking ahead for Dublin. In the past, I'd of raced Kilcock 10 Mile and the Tullamore Half back to back. Something I plan to avoid, as much as I would love to go to Kilcock.

Yeah, see I'm trying to make sure I haven't got delusions of grandeur. I was cocky in my first marathon, thought a sub-4 was on. It took me four attempts to get there. Now, granted I'm in a much different place fitness wise since then now. Not only am I getting the high mileage in, I have two quality S&C sessions that are working the legs good as well. All my health stats are trending in the right direction. I won't go as far as to say these sessions are feeling easy, but I'm recovering quicker than I have in the past. I really notice the difference with the lads I run with, with how I'm feeling post run versus them. I'm trying to be realistic with it. I'd hate to leave too much time on the table, but I also don't want the feeling of another 'failed' marathon attempt. It's more a question of just how far to move the dial forward. I think tomorrow might tell a lot. Plan to set up a wide pace band on the watch. I've a decent route planned - quiet country roads on the way out that are relatively flat with some hills and drags towards the end to add something to it. I hope it will tell me alot, but I'm also watching the weather as while it's going to be unpredictable as to what it will be on race weekend, I'd rather not get destroyed due to heavy rain or winds tomorrow and ruin the effort!

• Advertisement

There's a lovely windless window from 6am to 9am in the morning were I am(east coast) , probably not dry and pretty cold but that's fine. I've a 9e9mp2e session. If I can drag myself out if bed at 5.30 that is.

Ahead of the usual weekly report, I just said I'd give a more specific report on today's long run given that I was considering what way and pace to approach Manchester now that we are what.. about six weeks out?

Up at 7am, looked out the window at the rain and thought to myself 'nah, I'm going to wait this one out'. I know on the day, you can't control the weather, but at the same time I need to keep myself fit and healthy. Came down, got breakfast and went through that routine - probably a little later than I would have planned if I was going out for 8am. Then the weather cleared up a bit and a look at the weather apps said there was a window of opportunity. Quickly got dressed and out the door I went. Hands up, I did overdress, particularly when I was been told the RealFeel was about -1. So on went the tights and a light rain jacket to ensure I was keeping myself warm.

The first thing that struck me was how 'easy' it was to maintain a pace. I had set a pretty wide pace band for alerts on the watch and I definitely found myself having to ease off a little as I found myself at the faster end of it. I had a specific route in mind, that was relatively flat on the way out and then had more of the elevation and hills on the back half of it. Had to dance through a flooded part of a road about the 8.5K mark (luckily there was just about enough of a pathway through). It was about the 9-10K mark I got out as far as I was when I started to head back towards the town. It was here it was noticeable the uptick in the wind. It wasn't terrible. You noticed it, but it didn't seem to slow me down. Between that and the undulation of the second part of the run added more of a difficultly to the run, which also isn't a bad thing. While Manchester is promoted as a flat route, I don't want to be exclusively training on the flat stuff either.

Flew along nicely. Took two gels in total. Probably a bit earlier on both occasions that I would need to at Manchester, but I want to make sure they are settling fine in the stomach more than anything else. The big thing going for me was the consistency. That dip at the 16K mark was on the longest hill climb I had along the course, so not surprising at all. In fact, I was surprised myself with how comfortable I could maintain an average pace of 4:34min/km throughout the whole thing. Of course, there is the small matter of doing that for another 18K on the day...

In terms of the shoes, the Pro's felt extremely comfortable throughout the run. No issues at all, which I was just something I wanted to check out ahead of Manchester. A bit of vanity here, but anyone any experience of washing a pair of carbon plated shoes and not messing them up? Tad messy after today! But all in all I'm very happy with them. As I said earlier, I felt extremely comfortable at holding that pace throughout the run. Heart rate held up okay as well. Next week will be another interesting test on that one with the split pace 20 miler,. where the back half goes at marathon pace.

So what does this session tell me. Hitting sub-3:30 shouldn't be a problem. I say shouldn't, because we all know that with all the best laid plans, what happens on the day happens on the day when it comes to running. Setting my sights faster to take advantage of where I am is the way I'm feeling at the moment. Today felt good. But as I said earlier, there is another 18K to contend with. I could easily take a few seconds a kilometer off of today's average and still come in well below target. It's a lot of food for thought.

But I'm a happy man after that run. Glad to get in just as the wind was really starting to pick up. If I had gone with the alternative plan of been out later, it would have been a much tougher run. But glad I also didn't take the easy way out with an 'easy' course to run too.

Week Ten Report:

Monday: 7M Steady Tempo & S&C Session. Total Distance: 11.3K

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: Intervals: 11*800m at 10K Pace with 200m recoveries. Total Distance 14.5K

Thursday: Marathon Pace Tempo Run. Total Distance: 8.1K

Saturday: Marathon Pace Tempo Long Run. Total Distance 24.2K

Sunday: Easy with Strides Run. Total Distance 5K

Weekly Distance: 63K

The Rundown:

So a change up in the routine this week to cater for a job interview on Tuesday night. So given that I had Saturday and Sunday, with Sunday been a harder effort, it made sense to put Wednesday's steady run in there on Monday instead. Of course, I went about 20 seconds per kilometer quicker than I needed to. I got out late, my dad had been over trying to help sort out the fancy door lock so I was a bit undisciplined. In hindsight, probably should of just gone with the intervals given my pace. Braved the wind on Wednesday night for the intervals. Tough, tough session. I set the watch timing alerts wide enough and I just about managed to keep them around and below the 4:00min/km mark. The wind played havoc, plus the drags. I ended up just doing loops around a short area to stay somewhat safe. Thursday's 8K went grand. First time since mid-December I've done what is my bread and butter 8K route. Just shows where my mileage has gone.

The plan is going grand. The one thing that does annoy me about it though is the typo's. Clearly on some of them the maths is wrong. Case in point, this weeks interval session. It's listed as 9M. It was supposed to be 8*800 with 200m recoveries - with a mile either side for a warm-up and cool-down. That adds up to 11.27K or 7M. Yet the weekly mileage for has it calculated at 9M. So that's why I did 11 stints to make it work. It's not the first typo I've noticed. There is definitely a few in the sub-4 plan as well. Just annoying, particularly when you are in a rush to get out the door and you realise your whole programme needs tweaking. Minor vent there!

As described above. yesterday's long run went well. Recovered nicely and got an easy 5K with strides in this morning. Would you believe it's the first time I've ever attempted to put strides into a regular run! Ahh the things we learn. Got out before the weather got truly terrible out there.

Next week... the next two weeks are the big final two heavy miles week. Ironically, they will also be my last two weeks in the current workplace. Not exactly ideal, particularly with the change in my rostered hours. But will have to make it work. The weather deciding to go all winter-like at this point isn't great either, but it builds character! Likely to look into getting a sports massage in the next week or so, just to get everything checked over and make sure everything is looking tip-top heading into the final six weeks into the plan.

Week Eleven Report:

Monday: S&C Session & Sports Massage

Tuesday: 'Relaxed' Fartlek. Total Distance 10.22K.

Wednesday: Easy Run. Total Distance 10.22K

Thursday: Progression Run & S&C Session. Total Distance 11.27K

Saturday: Split-Pace Long Run. Total Distance 32.2K

Sunday: Steady Run. Total Distance 8.1K

Weekly Distance: 72K

The Rundown:

This week was, at least for the mid-week stuff, a step back after the bigger effort that was needed on the Saturday run. Began with getting a massage. It’s been on the agenda for a few weeks now and with the workload not as tough, it was ideal time. No major issues at least there. Tuesday had it listed as 'relaxed fartlek'. To be honest, I’ve never really done a normal one so, this took a bit of reading and googling. Settled on doing 500m at MP, 500m at HMP and 400m easy. Six rounds of it either side of a warm-up and cool down. Wednesday easy was grand.

Thursday went a bit messed up. Distracted by an incident in work (you think I could get through the last week and a bit in peace. That and seeing a large group heading the way I wanted to go distracted me. A breeze caught me and I had a slow bambi fall to the ground. Graceless! Got back up, embarrassingly checked in with someone who saw me fall and got back it - had a run to complete. No major damage. A skinned right knee that hurts more when I’m sitting than running and a small cut on the palm of my hand. Probably helped I was wearing gloves and tights. I think that accounts for my first even fall/tumble not exactly the time to be doing it so close to Manchester!

That aside, the long run went really good. Had to go solo with the lads elsewhere. My first 20 miler on my own since a failed attempt to do so for my first Dublin in 2018. Such a different place now. Split pace, and I added in a new segment to the route to vary it up after what feels like a week going over the same bit of ground. Felt good on the second half running at MP. Undulating course with plenty of drags to challenge things. Between that and last weeks long run, confidence is very high at the moment.

Steady five miler due tomorrow to finish the week. Shouldn’t be an issue on it (although would of said that for Thursday too!). Next week will see the height of the mileage in the plan, including 22 miles easy next weekend. Last week of work too, so I’ll be happy to just get the heck out of there come Friday.

Post edited by racersedge on

Week Twelve Report:

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: Intervals 16*400m at 5K pace with 200m recoveries. Total Distance 12.8K.

Wednesday: Easy Run. Total Distance 16.1K

Thursday: Alternate Miles Run & S&C Session. Total Distance 14.5K

Saturday: Long Slow Steady Run. Total Distance 36K

Sunday: Easy Run. Total Distance 6.5K

Weekly Distance: 86K

The Rundown:

Week Twelve.

Hump Week.

Wait a minute. Hump employs been in the middle of things. So let's settle on calling it 'The Longest Week'.

This week marked the highest mileage of the plan. My highest mileage week ever at running. And I have to admit, I felt it, particularly on the Thursday run when I was out for the alternate mile run. I had a few conversations with myself about wanting to cut it short. If I had my way, this would be a week I'd take off work to get the mileage in!

Of course, a lot happening this week which probably attributed to it. This was my last week in my current work. That went grand, but was a pretty understated send-off. It's a closed chapter and if anything, the last week there definitely told me that I was happy to be going. I have next week off (go figure when this was the high mileage week) before I start my new role. As much as it was tempting to take a few weeks off and start a job post-Manchester, let's be honest - it wasn't a financially viable option.

A bit under the weather at the start of the week. It was first noticeable last Sunday with a higher resting heart rate. I reckon I picked up a bit of a cold on that 20 miler last week (and of course, knowing it was split-pace, I didn't want to be wrapped up warm). Felt it for the first few days and skipped my PT session on Monday to be safe. Got through a tough solo interval session on Tuesday. I look forward to when that mileage drops and I can get back in sync with the club sessions for the company (and hopefully better working hours around that.) While I wouldn't get any awards for my fashion sense, I ensured to wrap up warm on all my runs to play it safe. It was also nice to get a few runs around the old hometown to change up the routes.

Long run went really well. Yesterday was a beautifully crisp (but bloody freezing!) morning. But it's great to see that hint of daylight in the morning, and even the evenings now. That run went a little quicker than expected (I'd say the cold weather had an influence at that), but I'm grand with that. An early start so I would have running company for the first 12 miles - I can't remember the last time I was out just after six am for a run - was a massive boost and I felt grand doing the last 10 solo.

Next week, well, I'd hardly call it a taper week. It is a less mileage week though as things start to 'ease up', so to speak. With been off, it means I can at least get the runs done early and in daylight, which should give me some options on different routes to do at least.

Almost there though. We are now in the four week countdown to Manchester. I have to say, my confidence is feeling good. I feel in a really good place. Hopefully I can put any mental issues aside that has been caused through work and get an easy start to the new place to ensure my head is in the right place for the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very nice week there, great to be on the countdown & feeling confident.

Best of luck in the new job.

So, I think a bit of cabin fever is setting in after a lot of recent long, solo runs. Weeks ago, I was adamant I wasn't even going to consider doing the 5K in Portloaise on St. Patrick's Day. But today, as I was finishing off my long run, I was back to debating with myself as to whether I should do it it or not. I'm blaming cabin fever. The runs recently have been long. Most of it has been evening runs so it's continually doing the same bit of tarmac, the same routes for safety. The longer interval runs (plus the change in working hours) have meant I haven't had the break-up in of doing the intervals with the club recently. A quick look at my training calendar tells me I have only had one run with another human being (that been last Saturday for 12 of the planned 22) in the last month.

So the mind starts to play tricks. I've tried to use this week to vary things up, but only this morning's long run really allowed for it (and even that had to cater for the way back with school traffic). So there I am, about 5K from home trying to justify doing it just to change things up.

The Pro's:

It would be nice to have some actual human contact on a run. I can justify it by swapping out the week's interval session and give it a right bash. A chance to potentially break 19 minutes for the first time in a race. The extra day off with Friday for recovery. My dad is running it so it would be nice to go over and back with him with his recent travels. Last minute confidence booster ahead of Manchester. It's only 5K and I could argue that the plan does say do 'Parkrun 5k', which I've always assumed means a pacey 5K.

The Con's:

It's flipping three and a half weeks before Manchester. Potential of an injury or doing some damage that affects Manchester. Is there ample recovery time, especially considering what it felt the efforts of Raheny and Trim took into the next week of training. Potential to kill some confidence if it goes badly. Do I really need this, or is it the recent weeks of isolating runs just messing with my head a little bit.

So yeah, these are the thoughts that go through my head on a nice Thursday morning. I don't need this, but I do kinda want it, if you know what I mean. But that is what this log is for. To put up things that are on my mind rather than having that internal debate within my own headspace for a change. And it could be worse... I could be having this debate about doing the half in Mullingar instead!

Do it. Get your PB and chill for the taper

It's a tough one. I know how it feels to want to just race & getting the chance to run with fellow humans😂

I think you need to weigh it up, although there's probably a tiny risk of injury especially with it being a 5k, is it worth the risk to not possibly be able to run your marathon? You have trained hard for it so to me that would be the main thing so tbh I wouldn't risk it. I think with my recent injury I have become more cautious but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it's worth it just to take a few risks but sometimes its worth it to keep the main thing the main thing.

Either way best of luck with your decision 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Maybe consider it from the point of view of 6 months down the road. What would you prefer to look back on - a very good Portlaoise 5k or a very good Manchester marathon?

It's definitely something I found grating in the marathon plan, all this fitness gained and bouncing off the road and yet not allowed to race except for the prescribed 10K or HM so I totally get the desire to run it.

Then again, you do say a 5K is on your plan? I would have thought not running it is the no-brainer decision but if it's on the plan.............

Week Thirteen Report:

Monday: S&C Session

Tuesday: Intervals 5*1M with 400m recoveries. Total Distance 13.3K.

Wednesday: Marathon Pace Run. Total Distance 11.3K

Thursday: Long Run Run & S&C Session. Total Distance 16.1K

Friday: Tempo Run. Total Distance 8.1K

Saturday: Long Run. Total Distance 32.2K

Sunday: Rest Day

Weekly Distance: 81K

The Rundown:

Week Thirteen. Unlucky for some. Well, I could hardly call it unlucky with taking the week off between finishing the old job and starting the new one. I suppose you could argue any lack of luck came through the variable weather conditions and the stupidity high fuel prices left me running the same ol' routes and leading to a touch of cabin fever.

Oh, to finish off one the last log post, I did indeed sign up for Portloaise. I have options on the day if I change my mind about giving it a good stab by running with my dad as an easy run. So yeah, sometimes you need to blow a little steam off and that will be it.

Aside from the cabin fever, the week has gone well. I'd be lying if I said I probably expected a bit more at times from the freshness of running earlier in the day as opposed to after work. But then again, I have employed on a number of runs of 'get up, quick breakfast and get out' strategy to make the most of the time the little one is out of the house. Got to Decathalon this week as well and picked up some new gear given that I spend more time in my running gear than lounging gear these days!

Decided to get my Sunday run in on Friday. The first time I've actually done the short run ahead of the long run. Few reasons for that. The most obvious is that I'm off and it's a good chance to get it done. Having a small get together for the little one for her birthday tomorrow afternoon so it would be nice to have Sunday free. I'm also only starting on a short day on Monday for the first day, so there is an opportunity to squeeze the interval session in either before or after run and changing up the format of the week to cater for not only Portloaise, but for the long weekend ahead.

With the last of the 20 milers done (that's three 20's and one 22 done in total), we are now officially on the wind-down towards Manchester. It was nice to change location and run out in Vicarstown. First time since 2019 to get out that direction. Two loops of it and a challenging route to push things. Felt a little leggy, but that’s probably not a surprise after five days straight of running.

While we are now I suppose into the taper phase, the mileage doesn't drop off the cliff - at least compared to the likes of what you would get on a Higdon plan. Likely to drop to one just one S&C session going forward as we try to sort out a schedule for the future with me moving away from he is based with the change in job. Ideally, want to keep going to him as he knows his stuff, I've improved with him and I'm loyal to those who aid me. Just a matter of seeing what I can do given I've gone the complete other direction now.

Three weeks to go. I better go make sure the passport is in date!

Streets of Portloaise Race Report:

It's Saint Patrick's Day. The start of a long weekend and what better way to start it than with a race. So yeah, as I described in the last log post, I signed up after cabin fever set in. I had given myself some allowance on it, where I could decide to run with my dad if I felt like treating it as an easy run. I tweaked the week slightly, running Monday and Tuesday to take yesterday off to be fresh for it.

Up early (thanks little woman!) and headed over early to my dad's. Race gear was effectively what I will be using for Manchester, sans the gels. So in a way it's a good last equipment check (although I might look for a different pair of shorts as these ones were more 'short distance' shorts!). Left wife and child with my mam and had a nice opportunity to talk with my dad on the trip over to Portloaise. Once there, it was great to see some old faces I haven't seen in a while and a great representation from my club. I haven't seen many since the club run 10K, which is what, about five or so weeks ago with everything with work and the increased mileage. Saw some familiar guys I'm used to trying to chase down in training, so I knew I was in good company.

Weather was bang on grand for it. A wind at the back for the start. The gun goes off and away we go. As always, that first half a kilometer was a small matter of playing dodgems trying to work around people. The first klick was mostly going downhill, so no surprise to see a quicker than expected first kilometer. Could already feel that breathing working hard as we navigated through the town centre and snaked out the far side of town. Settled into a rhythm within a small group I was in and the second and third kilometers were consistent, albeit slower than the first. From 3K onwards, it became more of a challenge. We are turned back around and the wind was now into your faces - this, added with the climb back up the far side saw the field spread increase. Kept the guy and/or gal in front in eyes and kept powering on. At the height of it, around the 4.5K mark (ish) I could just felt tough and I was glad, like many, to get over that crest of a hill knowing the rest was down hill. We passed the start area, now deserted to what it was about 15 minutes ago for the stretch back in - effectively repeating the first kilometer back into town.

A reasonably sized crowd (especially given I don't think the town was having a parade?) that got closer to you as you hit the narrow streets. That had a really nice feel to it. That downhill drop over the last few hundreds was a god-send. Felt I was close to rolling down it. A cross the line and a moment of reflection before looking at the watch. 18:31 - with a chip time of 18:30. That's almost a 45 second PB (I was 19:13 if I recall in Kilcock last year). Caught my breath (I swear Strava is taking the p*ss saying my Relative Effort was 59!). Caught up with a number of club members to see how they got on and then cheered on my Dad as he came in.

Lovely way to start the long weekend. I accomplished what I wanted.. what I needed to do. Scratched an itch that was to see where I stood in terms of a race. Set a new personal best. Didn't do any injury! And got to spend some time with my dad while at it. Added bonus to see a great turn-out from others in the club, who's contact I have missed the last few weeks. At least the way the taper works, I can go back to incorporating the club sessions back into the plan for the final two weeks of the plan.

Two more runs due this week - I'll go into more detail on things in the weekly blog.

Fantastic report. That's what its all about.

Good luck in the Marathon

Week Fourteen Report:

Monday: Intervals - 11*800 at 10K pace with 200m recoveries. Total Distance 14.5K

Tuesday: Steady Run. Total Distance 13K.

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: Race - Streets of Portloaise. Total Distance 5K

Friday: Long Run. Total Distance 24.6K

Saturday: HMP Tempo Run. Total Distance 10K

Sunday: Rest Day

Weekly Distance: 67.1K

The Rundown:

Three weeks to go. Judging by this weeks workload, it is a case of it starting to ease off. But it doesn't really feel like a real taper yet. That said, I'm sitting here writing this, looking at that weekly distance total and it just feels that it's wrong. It is what it is supposed to be. But after hitting 72K, 85K and 81K for the past three weeks, I would be lying if I thought I should be doing more. But that's the whole point of starting to taper. Reduce mileage, let the training truly soak in and rest up.

Tweaked the week around to suit fitting in Portloaise. That was worth it given the result, which I detailed above. Definitely could feel some after affects with during the long run on Friday afternoon. But that said, it was nice to get it done and have the rest of the long weekend. I would say though that I was constantly thinking it was Saturday for the rest of yesterday (which probably isn't a bad thing to be a day ahead of yourself!). Got out early this morning to get in what should of been the third of the mid-week runs with a HMP Tempo run. Felt like an accomplishment to finish the run on Tuesday. It marked the last 10K+ run mid-week run of the plan. Next week's, its 8K's and 10K's only. I remember a time where 8K's were just the limit of mid-week distances. How times have changed.

What struck me this week was the brightness in the evenings now. It was great on Tuesday to be able to get out and not bring the light for a change. The extra days off also helped in this regard. No S&C sessions this week with the change in job. The plan was to try to shoehorn something in, but at the time of writing this hasn't happened. I need to start doing some stuff at home just to keep things ticking along.

Two weeks to go now. Definitely looking at next week's mileage I am into taper mode. Considering another massage session in the next week or so, maybe, to have myself well primed. A matter of looking after myself now and avoiding injury, colds and Covid for the next two weeks. I'm likely to keep roughly the same structure into next week as I did this. Definitely want to get back down on Tuesday evening for the club session. Need to start keeping Wednesday free now as the wife plans to start pregnancy swimming classes on the Wednesday night. Good time for it to kick off as I'm hitting the taper! Weather is looking great as well looking at the next 10 days (haven't dared to look towards marathon weekend yet!)

Almost there. Next stop, Taper-ville.

Week Fifteen Report:

Monday: HMP Tempo Run. Total Distance 8.95K

Tuesday: Intervals. Club Session 4*Mile with 2min rest. Total Distance 8.15K.

Wednesday: Upper Body S&C (at home).

Thursday: Steady Run. Total Distance 10.3K

Saturday: Long Run and S&C Session. Total Distance 16.2K

Sunday: Easy Run. Total Distance: 6.5K

Weekly Distance: 49.2K

The Rundown:

This week was well and truly a taper week. I swapped the order of the runs around to free up Wednesday (the other half is doing yoga swimming lessons on the evening now - nice timing to start it as my mileage was going down!). I also made a point of getting down to the club training session as it's been ages since I've gotten down. It was nice to have the company - and to actually see people in a bit of daylight for a change. I could of gotten away without going down (especially with the way covid figures are going), but it was nice to see everyone before Manchester.

I finally got off my lazy bum and tried to kickstart some S&C at home. Better late than never I suppose. The upper body stuff has gone terrible as of late since the proper sessions have been really working on the legs. Speaking of S&C, I got over to my trainer after missing out last week for a pre-marathon maintenance session. We will discuss how we go forward after Manchester - likely have to chop it down to one session as his location is at the opposite to end to where I live and work now.

Judging by my hear rate readings and effort that it is showing up, this really was an easy week. Have to admit I was questioning whether it was working right at times. Mind you, I'm glad my confidence is high because if I was judging by the drop in my 'Marathon Shape' according to Runalyze over the past week as the distance has dropped could easily have freaked me out! Obviously their formula doesn't really taken into account the tapering weeks really.

So next week is the big one. Already put some safeguards in place. I have a massage booked for tomorrow evening to make sure everything is in good place. I'm in Pink A wave, and after having concerns that I might be buried behind a slower pace group, I was delighted to find out when they announced the pacers that I have 3:15 pacer within the group. The weather forecast so far looks like it might be ideal too.

So main objective for this last week - don't do anything stupid. Don't get injured. Don't get sick. Don't get covid. Just a few short mid-week runs to get in ahead of flying over. Time to start packing the bag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Best of luck next week, I did Manchester in October and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

The course is really set up for PB's

the advice I'd give anyone on the course is

Start slow the first mile is all downhill.

There is a short sharp hill coming into mile 16 as your turning around Altrincham village.

As you're going back out of the village you cross a slight bridge which felt like nothing going over it the first time but after the hill in Altrincham it really took it out of me.

Water stations and gels were plentiful.

There isn't a long visible run up to the finish line it kind of just appeared.

Any other questions you have eket me know and I'll try answer them.

Appreciate the above advice and anything else you can offer. Any tips on good places to eat on the Saturday? Just about starting the research on all of that to make sure all the weekend goes to plan!

Week Sixteen:

IT'S RACE WEEK!

Four months of hard work and grinding all come down to this week. I have to admit, there is definitely some butterflies in the stomach as the race draws closer. Feeling everything a little more as I am hyper sensitive to anything going on. The delays in security at the airport is just one last little chicane to navigate. Luckily, I hadn't booked parking so I've given myself some extra wiggle room with regards to that just to be on the safe side. I'd rather be up chilling in the airport, reading a book or a newspaper and killing time than stressing over whether there was going to be a delay. This is particularly why I chose the Friday to fly, as to avoid anything that could cause an issue on the Saturday that would delay number pick-up etc.

I had a massage on Monday, just to make sure everything was in the right place and had a grand chat with the physio, himself a runner. Great to have one who is a runner to talk shop. This week's workload is naturally relatively easy. A short interval session last night (8*200's at 5K pace), and an easy four mile later with some strides once the wife gets home and a 5K with the same workload tomorrow. Then just a parkrun on Saturday morning as I get to number pick-up. It's all about staying healthy. I'll admit, I would be nearly afraid to take an antigen test at this point for fear something would sink all of the past four months! I'm in the process of packing the bag. First time I've flown since my honeymoon, I believe. Actually no, that's not correct - I was in Sweden after I was married for ice hockey game - eitherway, it's been a long ass time since I've flown. Quite rusty. Definitely the first time to travel with a see through liquid bag and I'm still trying to figure out do we have to print boarding passes or does the phone do all that now? Ahh the joys.

So, yeah, let's talk the race. I have a chance to do so while I wait for the missus to come back from swimming (hence the later than usual run). I started this journey with the idea of getting as close to 3:30 as I could. That in itself is quite a jump, since I did 3:55 in the virtual in 2020 and my official best time is somewhere closer to 4:10. Marathons so far, haven't been kind to me. Hopefully Sunday changes that. Training has gone better than expected. I've flown through it, broken three PB's within it, although I didn't have a proper half marathon race within it - I do believe that back to back Raheny and Trim at least gave me an idea of where my fitness was at. 3:30 was the aim back in late November, early December - I do think now, if the day was to go perfect, I could be 3:10 to 3:20.

I have to temper my expectations. I've done four marathons. One went well, the other three I had terrible final thirds. So I need to be cautious with expectation. In a way, coming out of this experience with a positive mentality will be the biggest victory I can have. It's overcoming any mental challenges in that last 10-12K that is key to this. I'm saying this, knowing that this has to be case. That said, I'm sure at some point on Sunday I may easily forget how rationale and reasonable I am been at this. There are so many variables for the day - weather looks like it could be spot on but any bit of wind and it's more work on the body.

So I've spent the week mulling about goals and what I'd be happy with. I think a 'Goal A' would be finishing it, happy, not stopping and enjoying the experience. That is the bare minimum I would like to come out with. Dublin is in October and I need a positive experience here to ensure the motivation is in the right place. I want to know this four month block wasn't for nought. 'Goal B' - hit 3:30. This was the original aim and based off my training, it should be hit. I've ran recently at that 4:55-5:00min/km time and I feel at times like I'm cruising. Might be a different story doing it for 42.2K but I feel happy at that pace. If I can achieve that, I've hit my original target. Happy days. 'Goal C' - getting anything between 3:10 - 3:20. I think, based off what I've done for training, I think I am at. This range would be victory for me. Anything quicker than that is purely icing on the cake.

So, fly over Friday and get there in the afternoon. Check in the hotel, maybe have a walk about and start trying to see where I'm going to eat. Maybe do a little bit of shopping to get that out of the way. Saturday - trial breakfast at the hotel and see what they have. If I'm not happy, hit Aldi or Lidl for supplies. Head out and do a parkrun and get the number and then try to kill the afternoon away without expending too much energy.

The proposed race strategy is, starting in Pink A with the 3:15 pacer is to follow and/or tail that group from the start. I figure stick with the group, let it feel like the group long runs. That will allow me to assess things. See how things go and stick with this group for some time. Maybe make a judgement call to step it up then past half way as we had back towards the city. That's where my thought process is as it stands. Keep it simple. I've done all the hard work. I've been practising with the SIS gels and I can pick up plenty as I go about.

Four months of hard work, long runs, late nights.

It all comes down to this.

I can do this. I can't wait to this. I had better do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck at the weekend! Great training block, enjoy the race 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Very best of luck with it. Seems to me from your log that you've put in a great block of training and that C goal is well within reach

Very best of luck with the marathon, you've put in some great training & I've enjoyed following your journey. I ran Manchester in October & really enjoyed it, I'm sure you will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck in Manchester.

I bleeping did it!

3:09:22

I am absolutely over the moon with it. Banished a lot of marathon demons today. Nailed it.

Arrived Friday and was glad for that. While security wasn’t an issue in the airport, it was a long day. Left the house before 9 and with the obvious early arrival to the airport, it was just after 4 once I got checked in. So a long day. Good news was that the tram was right outside, the bed was comfy and the city centre and eateries were a short walk away.

Saturday morning started with a trip out to the local Parkrun to do get my final run in. Took it easy-ish and headed over to get the number after. Looking back on some of these easy runs this week, and my resting heart rate and I was a little concerned. My RHR was raised and the heart rate for those easy runs was a step up. Tried not to think too much of it. I felt fine, but usually an elevated heart rate means something is brewing. Put this down to anticipation. Tried to chill for the day but probably did a little more walking than expected. Played it safe, if you could call it, with Nando’s for food. Toyed with an Italian, but I figured eat what I know. I did find myself munching on some jellies a bit much - but they have carbs, right?!

Sunday morning. Race day. Up before the alarm and straight down for breakfast. Unlike the morning before, a busier breakfast as the runners were down. At least Saturday morning allowed me to test the food out and keep it close to what I usually had - complimented by hitting Aldi for my protein yoghurts and milk. Fun fact, Aldi do a flavoured protein milk here. I wish they did that at home.

Headed straight out to the race start area. Didn’t want the stress of the bag drop. At least three trips to the loo (having access to the cricket areas proper toilets was really handy as a guy!) and then just walking gently to keep myself warm. At this point, I did miss having a significant other here for support, particularly with the rest of my crew in later waves.

The sun began to peer through as we walked up to the start. Anticipation building as I saw the big digital board and the start line. This was it. Discarded the top and waited for the start. No sign of the 3:15 pacer. I saw the Red wave one, but no sign of the Pink wave one. So scratch that plan. Time to go solo.

I knew the pace bands I needed to keep within. Fun fact, it seems that the Coros watch doesn’t have an average pace option for the info. Go figure. Could of done with that. I was happy and content with the pace. Avoided looking at the heart rate page. Didn’t want to tempt faith with my earlier fears. As we go going, the leaders steamed by on the opposite side of the road. Wouldn’t of thought it would take us so long to return.

I got going and settled into my pace, happy to let those who wanted to go ahead go. I had my pace bands and was happy to stick with it. The approach into the city center created a real buzz. Hair standing up. This was what a big marathon was all about.

A slight concern around the five mile mark as it felt like my big left toe felt like it was going to sleep. Never had that during training but it subsided. Felt a little tingle in my left side and flute but nothing terrible. I’d go as far to say my senses were heightened. That long five mile straight at least was broken up with some crowds and music. That could have been a killer without it. A decent crowd out given the time of the morning - and a brave crooner singing ‘I’ll Never Walk Alone’ in Manchester!

I avoided the early water stops. I had trained using gels and the last thing I needed also was to need the loo on route. Got worried at some points as the field spread out I might end up in no man’s land, but it was a feeling that didn’t last long.

I had thought for those at home every time I passed a timing mat, knowing they would be watching me. They knew that I would be pushing and also know they have seeing me fail on previous attempts. Chances are they were cursing me when they say the paces.

Support was good on the course. I did have a laugh when they mentioned been the friendliest marathon at the start. Wonder what Dublin would say about that. There was some lovely big pockets of support, followed by some quiet moments to get the head down.

A few drags and inclines in the second half. The bit through Altrincham was probably the toughest. That said, it wasn’t anything I hadn’t encountered at home. Train with hills people. You will be thankful for it. A quick few drops of rain but nothing serious as we exited the area. Conditions were bang on ideal - a light wind in places but the kind of marathon weather we dream for.

Working the back half of the course, I kept the pace consistent. I was mentally thinking to myself about what condition I was going to be in for a final push. I knew I was around the 3:10 mark. I could hobble home and achieve that sub 3:30 goal. I actually took a quick look at my heart rate and it was fine! People begin to drop off - actually looking at the results, from the first timing beam to the last I overlook 700-odd people. Spent more time going by people than getting past. I was feeling it.

So, past the daunting 20-mile mark. I was feeling things now. I wasn’t in bad shape, but effort was not equalling pace anymore. Any thoughts of pushing on were put on the burner. The most important thing was to finish this strong and happy. The crowds build up, willing people on. As I passed those struggling, I recalled my own past memories of been in that exact same position. A position that I wish on no-one.

That last five mile felt like a second marathon. I had it in my head what was left, but every time I did the maths, it just didn’t seem to budge. I was motoring along, but as I said, the pace was consistent, the effort was up.

Turned those final corners and there was the finish. Looked at the watch and saw 3:08. Only thought that came into my head was that after all this effort I was not going to come in over 3:10. Upped the pace with whatever was left in the tank. Powered over the finish line. 3:09:22.

F*!

I did it I actually did it! I walked off that course with a smile and a sense of pride and accomplishment. I bloody well did it my last official marathon I did a 4:09. Sure, I did 3:55 in 2020 for the virtual, but that always came with an asterisk for me. This is real. This result is real.

Its taken a lot of work. Over a thousand kilometres in four months. Early mornings, late nights- about eighty days of training. I had a lot of hopes for this one but was careful because the marathon is a beast.

The beast has been slain.

Brilliant report, but what a result, absolutely delighted for you!! Enjoy the well deserved high!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Delighted for you, super impressive

Advertisement