Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Early Years Edu-racer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats, that's an amazing result !

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Fast fast, great time our

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wow. Heartly congrats, terrific result and what progress!

I haven't followed your log very closely but if you got that kind of result off 250 km/month average, that's outstanding. You're a young lad so lots more to come from ya, congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Inspiring stuff, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Congratulations, an amazing time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

So, a few days since the highs of Manchester and already back into the regular routine. Legs are still bit sore in places but on the mend. I got out for a very gentle 5K last night just to keep things ticking over and loosen the legs, with the plan been to do a few more easy runs like that before pushing on.

So, with the current downtime, what better time to do a bit of evaluation on the training programme. Obviously, the results were a success, but I do need to consider if this is what will carry me into Dublin (if it's not broke, don't fix it mentality) or whether to look to tune it or change it going forward.

So, a bit of background. Like many runners heading into a marathon, I was busy looking about for what plan to followed. Naturally considered a number of the heavy hitters, but maybe shied away from how to comprehend some of the formula's or figure out how to make the mileage work. So, I plumped for an ASIC's training programme. Apparently these were previously published on Runner's World and disappeared. Some lad hosted them online and they can be found here, just in case anyone wants to read them.

A few things drew me to it. The first been the variability in each training session. I liked the fact it wasn't mundane like you might find say with a Higdon programme. I like to be told what to do and what paces to aim for. This one did it. This plan, well, the sub-4 plan of it was to be used by me in prepping for Prague in 2020 - before Covid hit. So I only got to use half the plan up until then, so I was curious to see it through to the finish. I had seen some success with it, using the first half of the sub-4 plan to best my half marathon time in July last year, before using the sub-3:30 as a template for training for Antrim. So there was reasons to be curious to see if it would work. I do recall some success with previous ASIC's training plan. I remember there used to be a free website you could use to get a plan (before they rolled it behind the paywall with Runkeeper) that was really cool that adjusted your potential time and sessions based on the previous ones. Ahh, memories.

So, that led to the decision to go with this plan and see how it goes.

Results are obvious. It did. I followed the sub-3:30 all the way through, despite threatening on more than one occasion I would use a hybrid model of the sub-3:30 long runs at the mid-week sub-4 to try to balance the high mileage versus a busy worklife. That was ultimately scuppered - first by just starting with the sub-3:30 stuff and then feeling confident enough that was something was brewing by the time I hit those mid-week 10 milers to just follow through. I didn't miss a session, I hit all the mileage marks. I did obviously tweak as I went at times. A lot of the interval sessions were converted into what I did at club sessions instead and some runs had to be moved about to suit the social life.

The biggest change I did make to it was not having a Half Marathon race. Ideally, I would of ran one, but the only real option was Donadea on World Half Marathon Day. I've ran that course before and to be honest, it's the kind of place you could easily injure yourself on. I also had to shoehorn in the fact I had signed up for Trim before I committed to Manchester, so that led to a Raheny 5 Mile/Trim 10 Mile back to back. I think if I was to do it again, I'd look to just have the one half marathon race. I could definitely feel the effort of those races in the system in the following weeks training cycle. While both races were PB's and I flew at the time, I do think having a proper HM race under the belt might of had me a little bit more focused on the what time was possible for Manchester. That said, regardless of what I follow when Dublin comes around, I have the Tullamore Half pencilled in already.

There is one gripe on the plan - it's the typo's and miscalculations on the intervals sessions. Clearly nobody checked the maths at times, as many of them were either shorter than the overall listed distance, or on occasion, longer. I found that a bit annoying, particularly when your trying to set up sessions on the evening or the night before to save time for when you come in the door. It's a minor gripe, but something I also mention to people who consider the plan as I noticed that in their sub-4 one as well.

Could I follow this exact plan and look to push on? That's a good question. It's also worth noting I dovetailed running with two weekly S&C sessions with a coach - something that at best will become one going forward as I now work away from his location. I hit all the markers on this plan, did what I had to. The natural thing might be to consider the sub-3 plan - but I think in terms of weekly mileage, I was definitely hitting a max of what I might be able to achieve while having a very active work-life - and the arrival of a second child in September. It's something to keep in mind. I do think I plan to be open-minded on what's next for the marathon training cycle and to see what other options are out there to consider (would love a few recommendations!)

As for what's next for me - an easy week or two (although I do have a club run next Friday that I hope to just take her handy on!) and then I'm hoping to spend between now and the Dublin training cycle focusing on the short runs and make this a Year of PB's for me - with my eyes firmly on Dunshaughlin 10K in June. So I need to see if there are any worthwhile 10K training cycles that will help me hone myself and see if I can break sub-40 on that.

Race Report:

St. Michael’s AC Forest Good Friday Run

Distance: 10K

Race Start: 6:00PM

Results: HERE

This was a local run in Emo hosted by the AC, which was the primary reason to do it only two weeks out from Manchester. I did think coming up to day I should have been a bit more selfless, maybe offering to help out with stewarding or at least choose the 5K option instead of the 10K, however, I decision was made and I had signed for the 10K as I thought I might be useful for the teams cup that was introduced for the event. I did a tempo run on Wednesday to see what was possibly in the tank and to be honest, felt tough

I had the day off from work and started the day to go up to Run Hub to pick up sunglasses I won in a social competition (why could I not win a pair of shoes or something!) The plan was to go and make a morning of it with the wife, but with the little one not well we kept her off crèche and she came with. A quick scoot through the shops after and then home - but not before the wife and unborn offspring got hungry and we had to hit Burger King. Yeah, hardly quality pre-race food! Home then by one and more quality time with the little one before a small bowl of pasta around 4, heading out to Emo then just down the road shortly after for the 6PM start.

A warm evening for it as the weather picked up during the day. Parked up and got my number. A decent crowd building up and it had all the feels of a pre-pandemic event. Met up with some familiar faces and introduced to other AC members I had yet to met. Plenty of congratulations and re-telling of my adventures in Manchester. Headed up to the start line to the sound of the Race MC, who was doing the event as a local - fair play considering he was probably in Kilkenny the night before.

Race time. Lined up at the front, the race starts and off we go with a sprint. Two to my left just launched off and I just waited for the fast guys to start filing through. But no, nothing yet. I’m running third. A quick glance behind and their is separation. Wow. Suddenly the whole ‘take it easy it’s only two weeks since Manchester’ goes to the side as we tackle the hilly start in the forest. A quick glance at the watch told me I was going way too fast, the timer bouncing around a bit as we ran in the forest. A quick thought, should I pull back a little? Competitive spirit silenced that voice as we meandered through the path through the trees. Two two ahead pulled away. They weren’t my race. Behind, a gap. Let’s see if I can maintain it. Passing the marshal posts I was cheered on my fellow club members.

The course was an out and back with a triangle loop to deal with. First 3K was mostly downhill around rolling hills, followed by a triangle loop before returning back to the start the way we came. So I was acutely aware the last 3K+ was going to be the tough. This of course, not helped with the fact I went out like a rocket. Heading into the triangle loop I was feeling it. Average pace was just ebbing, but I was still stupidly quick for me. A glance behind and I could see the guy in fourth catching. As we hit 5K, he effortless glided by. A warm evening, and this guy is wearing a long sleeve light jacket, doing probably 3;45min/km. What the actual…..! If he could do that, challenging him was going to be I possible. Fatalistic, yes, but I was feeling that fast start and it was time to dig in. Couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed, as there was prizes for the top-3. Another glance behind and there was a gap, with a club mate behind.

Headed back towards the start and the hills. They looked and felt a heck of a lot tougher than I remember. I had ran this way on a long run for Manchester, but hitting them at an easy pace versus a race pace made them feel a lot different! Easy to see why these two kilometers were the slowest of the race. Just keep going, I tell myself, with the occasional glance behind to see where I was at. We jointed up with the 5K race towards the last couple of kilometers. Fair play to them all that they stuck to the right and didn’t cause any interference. Seeing them, having someone to quickly chase, pass and repeat seemed to help. There was a spring in my step as I tackled the last of the rolling hills back through the forest. The Race MC’s voice fills the air. Nearly there. Pushed it on, crossing the line.

Chip Time: 39:25

Don’t know how I did that, especially within weeks of Manchester. A massive race PB, where it was previously around 44 minutes (although I should say this is my first 10K race since 2019 due to the last few years). I knew I was quicker and had gone quicker in other race distances, it this was the first proper time to do it. Absolutely delighted. Attempted to cool down in the warm evening sun and shared stories with racers I knew. Tried to get a head count on club numbers with regards of the cup but to be honest, missed people coming in and of course it was a mix of 5K and 10K people coming through.

Headed back down to the hall. The post-race spread. It’s back! How I have missed this! Now it really did feel like a pre-pandemic race. Probably filled back up the calories spent and then some, but it was so good! The hall was filled with voices of racers and again, the chance to share with others. A real proper social opportunity. Word quickly spread that there was a good chance that we had taken the teams cup for the first four runners home, which was soon confirmed by club mates. Felt such a feeling of accomplishment for that. I'm only with them a short time and feels good to contribute in that way. A massive cheer in the hall as we went to pick up the cup.

Thought this would be the last of the good news, but more came soon. They started to call out the results for the races and suddenly heard my name as finishing 3rd for the 10K. I walked up, puzzled, asking 'was I not fourth?'. As you recall, I distinctively remember been passed for it around half distance. Well, apparently the guy didn't have a timing chip. In fact, the wife found him later via Strava and said as much in his profile that he didn't have time to register. So yeah, I officially finished 3rd and got a prize for that. What a day!

Immensely proud of this one. At the end of the day, you can only race the field you are in. Sure, there are faster guys locally that either ran Kilkenny the night before or were off for the Easter weekend. Sure some of the faster club members were helping out stewarding. But in the field I was in, I was third. My first podium finish as it were. What a high after the exploits of Manchester as well. I really feel in the past nine months my running has just gone from strength to strength. To be part of the winning team, to be third overall. That's dreamland stuff. Not to mention I accelerated the timeline of getting a new 10K PB only two weeks after Manchester (on a not so flat course). Like Manchester, the stars aligned for me and it all came out great.

I enjoyed a pint last night after that! The icing on the cake came this morning. The wife wanted to go out to do the local Parkrun as they were offering Easter Eggs. So, back on went the runners and while pushing the buggy around, I finished first (does one 'win' Parkrun, I don't know...) in the Parkrun. Nice big easter egg to enjoy tomorrow from that. I get the feeling after the last 24 hours, I should probably play the lotto...

Great report and fantastic sub 40. Another big level surpassed, long may it continue.💪

Volume II: How Low Can My 10K Go?

So, it’s been a few weeks since Manchester. I’m feeling good, apart from a minor tender niggle I plan to get addressed. It’s time for the second chapter of this log. The target is the Dunshaughlin 10K in June. Saturday evening event in County Meath. A bit of a trek, but it will be my third time there. It’s got a competitive field that I hope will bring out the best in me. Previously, it was the week after Fathers Day and I would run the Thoroughbred in Kildare. Unfortunately, Dunshaughlin is the a week earlier this year. Choosing Dunshaughlin over the Thoroughbred was actually an easy decision. The former is going to attract a higher quality of runner and I feel that might bring me on during the event. I hope. At least that’s what I tell myself now!

Eight weeks to prep for it. Man, I have to say trying to find a 10K plan that I felt suited wasn’t all that easy. I found myself looking at plenty of options, Googling plans, reading into the faster stuff from the likes of Pftizinger and Daniels. Even for a moment contemplated getting a plan via Training Peaks and also did search running coaches. Ultimately, what I’ve decided to do is a variation on my marathon training program. Keep the weekly structure - Intervals; Easy/Steady; Tempo/Alts/Progression; Long Run - but to up the intensity and lower the volume a touch. This worked well over the past four months and I know it suits my schedule. Saves trying to reinvent the wheel.

The target - now, this is where it gets tricky. Originally, the plan was this would be the big sub-40 attempt. And the. I went and did that 12 days after the marathon in Emo. Common sense says that with some dedicated speedwork and rebuild back up the form, I should be quicker, right? I was 39:25 in Emo - so should I be thinking of breaking the 38’s? These are the questions that haunt me now. I have placed a race at the four week mark with taking in the Aishling Murphy 4 Mile race in Tullamore. Only 30 minutes down the road which is ideal, especially as some races around that point we’re looking at 45-60 minute drives for such a short distance. So hopefully that will give me an indication of where I am it.

So yeah, that’s the plan. At least for the moment. More than happy to take any pointers from anyone in now to attack training for a 10K since I’m going it the Do-It-Yourself type of way of attacking it!

18min 5k

38min 10K

85min half

Wonder whats next after that, good luck 😀

• Advertisement

So, a little quiet here lately from myself. Not completely intentional. A lot of busy weeks recently between running and also in work (in a good way, unlike the last place) with prepping the kids for their graduation preformance this week. Few other things have fallen into place, which I'll go into in a follow-up blog post. But for now, I wanted to get my race report from the Aishling Murphy 4 Mile Race which occurred last Sunday.

Race Report:

Ashling Murphy 4 Mile Race

Distance: 4 Miles

Race Start: 11:00AM

Results: HERE

The rationale behind choosing this race was that it was slap bang half distance away from when I started prepping for Dunshaughlin and the race. Having looked for a suitable 5K, there was nothing within close proximity. While I don't mind travelling for a race, for such a short distance, it was nice to be closer to home. Of course, with that in mind, I ended up staying further away as I spent the night in my folks house as they were minding the little on the next day. That said, it was only an extra 15 minutes. It did throw off my pre-run routine, which I think hurt a little. In particular, I ended up having a protein milk later than scheduled - and I think that, mixed with the warmer conditions and the rest of my hydration strategy, hurt me in the race (more on that later.)

I arrived with buckets of time to spare and parked close to the start/finish area. After chatting to a few faces I recognised I did a 2K warm-up (for a change) ahead of the race. Once I returned to the start area, the walkers were setting out. Quite a turn-out for the race, which was to be expected. A race with a lot of emotion for the town of Tullamore given what I happened. On top of that, having looked at the results from the Offaly 5K's race series, it was quite competitive and high numbers. So the turn-out was to be expected.

With the race start, I was a couple of rows back. I should have been a bit more selfish and started a touch further. As always, there is some slow jogger/walkers who have no business been up the front. My take-off's have been good though - which has a lot to do with some of the S&C training that has been done. I'm quite nifty from zero (shame it doesn't stay that way). Dodged and weaved and settled into a rhythm by the time we climbed up and over the bridge over the canal. What struck me quite quickly was that within I'd say the first 400-500 odd metres was the evident field spread. Didn't expect it so quick. Or maybe this happens closer to the front of a race. Anyway, I had settled into things. Now that I work in Tullamore, I was familiar with the majority of the route from walking around, so I knew what to expect. First mile and I was starting to feel a little bit lonely in between groups, but I could feel I was just latching onto the next person to press on.

With the first mile done, came the first turn and into the wind. It was quite notable, along with now going into a long drag. It wasn't a hill of any sort - but you could feel the change in the gradient. I knew this section from walking during my lunch break so I just managed things until we started to head back into towards town. A nice touch was that at each mile marker, they had someone playing a classical instrument. Nice touch. The next few miles went by with a case of just seeing someone ahead, latching onto the back of them and getting by

Things got dicey about 2K from the end. Pain in the stomach - the clench your bumcheeks type. The little one had a bit of a dose over the weekend and of course, my head was now thinking 'crap, have I gotten something'. I do think with hindsight, that the protein milk I had just sat wrong in the stomach and I was now starting to feel the effects of it. Anyway, it meant for the next kliometer, I felt a little bit like I was hanging on - not helped that the turn and road towards the railway station had a more notable gradient. The pain dissipated at least as I hit that final climb by the railway station. Turned the corner and it was a lovely downhill to take advantage of. Put the boosters on and jetted home to the finish to a 24:35. Got a 2K cool-down in and just started to spit down a little. With the little one not well, I scooted home early.

I've never ran a 4 Mile race before, so it was an automatic PB. Having not run on before, it made it a little tougher to judge exactly what my expectations were at. In a way, there is a bit of disappointment. My 5K average pace is about 3:42min/km. This was about 3:49min/km. More of a drop than I would have liked given it was only the extra 1.5K onto it. But that been said, this is why this race was planned - to see exactly where I am at for Dunshaughlin and make some changes and tweaks to try to push on. Positive is that I placed 37th overall. Looking at that group that finished 10-15 seconds up the road, I do feel if I could have started near and with them I could of have had a pack to run with it. But, hindsight is great in all that.

So all in all, I have to say I'm happy with how things went. The race served it's purpose. Few things to change going forward, more of which I will detail in a separate blog post. A little under four weeks until Dunshaughlin and to see what I am capable of for a 10K.

First off, I've been terrible at keeping this up to date the last month. Keep putting it on the long finger. So instead of an extensive training report, we are going to jump straight to the race report for Dunshaughlin. Skip the entree and just the mains!

First off, I alluded to something in the last post of changes that again, I didn't get around to talking about. So I'll start off with that. For the past month or so, I've started working with a running coach. It was something I spoke about previously and my hesitancy around it - particularly with how I was operating things. I suppose my mindset started to change post Manchester, particularly when I realised my easy pace and my usual running groups easy pace was now vastly different. I spent time looking for training plans for a 10K and the idea of a coach came up, but it was a bit of a minefield, so my intention was to leave it.

This changed after speaking my brother-in-law. He is a good runner, and had been working with a coach for sometime. With my recent uptick in form, he recommended it was the way to go and said he would vouch for me with his coach. So that's where I am at. At least knowing my brother-in-law, he wouldn't flute me around with this. First few weeks have been interesting, the sessions varied and the mileage ticking upwards. Enjoying it so far and interested to see where the journey takes me.

Now, for Dunshaughlin.

Plan A of course to run this sub-40. I then went and broke that barrier not long after Manchester in Emo rather unexpectedly. So, the target changed to how far under could I go. I had four good weeks of sessions done. The more I think about it, the more I see the 4-mile run in Tullamore as a disappointing run in terms of performance. That said, it did what it needed to and lit a fire under me for Dunshaughlin. I had my paces calculated out, knowing what I needed to do as a minimum for to go sub-39. I also, because I'm greedy, knew what my average pace was needed to go sub-38. Somewhere in the middle of that would be ideal.

Prep was going grand until Friday of the race. Had a tender stomach. Felt a bit like what I had at Trim, which I knew was work stress. But that shouldn't of been an issue here. Overthinking the race, I started to think? Shouldn't be - because I knew if I fecked it up, there is always another 10K around the corner. Started to think I might of caught something. Few staff members out at work. Or could it have been I ate something dodgy. Eitherway, the stomach was okay, but not great. And knowing that limited me in Trim had me worried.

Got the child dropped off at the grandparents and headed up nice and early to Meath. Glorious evening for it. What a buzz as well - and hasn't Dunshaughlin changed in three years! Got the number and went into my warm-up (one of my new, long overdue routines now that I'm doing) and found myself placed closer to the front than I had previously had at this event. Got a quick chat with the brother-in-law before the start. Felt like I swimming in a see of Nike's looking at everyones shoes!

The horn goes and off we go. Off quick and that first couple of klicks is just all about settling in and finding out where you are at. Passed people, got passed by some people. But it was all about keeping to the plan - the plan that I'm been greedy and hunting to go sub-38 instead of playing safe with a sub-39. Found my rhythm quickly and suddenly people weren't going by me as much anymore. The great thing about Dunshaughlin is the quality of the field. Loads of people running around that pace meant I was in the pack and easy to move up and along. It was fast and by jeez she was furious. What I did find though was how comfortable I felt at such a quick pace. Half distance and I apparently did my second fastest 5K at 18:40.

At the crossroads turn, that group I was it suddenly disappeared and I had a short chap with a guy either from Trim, or Cork (he was in a red and white top), who was shocked I could still talk after I had made a comment on something one of the water boys had said. I gave him a little advice on what I knew about the course and that like himself, I was in no-mans land in terms of pace. We came to the hill (easy to spot with the cut hedges ahead) and mentality prepped for myself it. Into the wind didn't help, especially for climbing up it. But I got there, losing my chat-mate on the way. Now things were strung out, as we pushed against the breeze. Would have preferred to be grouped here to keep things motoring along. Settled into a pace and then came to the second part of the climb. It's not a leg breaker, but its a gentle incline that hurts, especially into the wind. I could see my pace drop down as I went. I knew the stretch when I saw it, but had completely forgotten about it compared to the first part. Got over it though, put the head down and knew there was only a few more klicks to go.

At this point, I felt like I was just hanging in there. Maintaining the pace, maintaining the breathing. Knowing I was so close to home. The sound of the village drew us in. I knew alls I had to do was to keep her going at what I was at. Powered on with what was left and crossed the line.

37:42

Absolutely ecstatic. I got greedy, aiming for sub-37. But it paid off handsomely. Ran a great race, fought through the doubts of the inclines and the wind and came home strong. Hats off to Dunshaughlin for a great race meet. It had a proper buzz to it. The event was ran extremely professionally with a high quality field (I was like 181st out of 800+ runners, despite that sub-38 time!) and a great spread afterwards.

A long drive home (had to leave early as the little one wouldn't go to sleep for the grandparents!) was a rewarding one. To think, when I entered this year, my official 10K PB, albeit from 2019, was around 44 minutes. Now this. The last 12+ months hard work is really paying off. Now to decide what's next.

Your progression has been fantastic, fair play. Nothing better than clear measurable improvements to motivate for more hard work. 37.42 is some time.

I reckon you've plenty more to come lad.

Time to get this training log back going with a bit of consistency. Nothing like starting a bit of annual leave to have a bit more scope to get back on top of things! Going to back-date to the week starting off Dunshaughlin. Seems like an appropriate time to get it back going as the attention starts to shift towards Dublin in October, even if we haven't properly started with training towards it yet.

Week Commencing: 20/07/22

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: 12K Steady

Wednesday: 3K Warm-Up; 2*4K [Target Pace 4:00min/km] with 2 minute recovery; 3K Cool-Down

Thursday: 8k Easy

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: 16K Long Run & S&C session.

Sunday: 24K Long Run

Total Distance: 75K

Weekly Notes:

The week after the 10K race saw my only (only I say!) running five days, whereas since starting with getting coaching it has been pushed up to six runs a week. The extra day of running and the volume are the big changes to what would have been 'normal' out of marathon running schedule The average over the past five-six has been in that 65K-75K mark. Effectively what I was doing for a chunk of training for Manchester. That said, it was something I was looking to change towards even before getting assistance with my running after having chats with some fellow club-mates. So far, I've managed to make the S&C session continue to work alongside the harder workload.

What made this week stand out was that it was a week of early morning runs as I had to later shift in work. Actually, all bar the Sunday run were done before 7am. I can definitely see the effect of basically getting out the door and running while still half-asleep. I'd say there was a good 5-10 beats higher on the average heart rate when just getting out the door. So making life a little harder for myself with that, but it was nice to not have to come up and go for a run as well. Was getting back early enough to still get myself sorted and out the door for work.

Week Commencing: 27/07/22

Monday: 10K Steady

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: 6K Easy

Thursday: 5K Race [with a 2.5K warm-up and cool-down attached]

Friday: 10K Easy

Saturday: 13K Progression Run

Sunday: 25K Long Run

Total Distance: 74.5K

Weekly Notes:

That brings us up to this week! A race was fitted in for this week with a local run on Thursday. So the workload was tailored around that. Back to normalcy with the evening runs - although I took the opportunity with only having a 6K run set for Wednesday to do that early in the morning.

Thursday was an interesting one. I don't often race mid-week, especially with work. But this was for a good cause. I arranged with work to get out early and even still, some stressers as there was roadworks on the way. Ultimately, they delayed the race start by 15 minutes, but I didn't know that then. Anyway, I got there and had the wife pick up the number so I could just go straight and warm-up.

For this event, I broke out the Vaporfly's. Yeah, I went and got a pair at the recent sale. The extra 10% off with the unidays code I still have access to and the opportunity to try and return made it worth a shot. Had it rained, I probably would have held off as I'm sure Nike have some limits on what returns might be. Anyway, got the warm-up done, returned to the start area which was picking up. A much greater turn-out than I expected which was lovely to see. Saw some old buddies I haven't seen in a while and club-mates. Honestly, I thought depending on who might show up, there might be a chance to place highly - but seeing who was around had me thinking it was going to be a decent field.

We got underway at 7:45, which felt a little bit like a scrum at the front as a few very excited lads and a tight turn out of the GAA field. Bit Nascar-style 'rubbing is racing'! I wouldn't mind but after about 800 meters a few of those guys were already falling back. The two club guys were out front together, and these were guys months ago I would be using as my point of reference during intervals - and find them just cruising away from me. After the first turn, they were out front and I found myself third on their heels. A real shame there didn't seem to be a photograhper along the route - it would of made for a great photo for the club. I have to admit, there was sense of pride. At that point it was like seeing the groups from within a team/nation running together during a race. I fell into formation and just steadily ran with the lads - focusing more on them than on the watch. Really delighted with how this section of the race went. These were guys only months ago I would be chasing at club sessions during intervals - and for this evening at least, I was matching them.

Hopes of a club whitewash of a podium soon disappeared as a what I assume a local GAA club runner came by and a tall guy with a long easy going gait sailed by. Easy to tell them there was no point chasing them down and expending energy.

I was running third up until I’d say the last 600-700m. The last incline took what energy I had left. Last 500m I was just clinging on. One of my club mates passed and I said to him I had nothing left to chase him down. Ultimately finished 4th, five seconds back of third. A little bittersweet, but I did score a 22 second PB with an 18:08. Looking at the splits after, I was pretty consistent, which is pretty great given I was running quicker than I have ever gone before.

My planned 2.5K cool down was a bit delayed, between chasing the little one around after and wanting to get in the queue early for the BBQ food!

The rest of the week was busy enough, and definitely felt it on todays long run - not surprised especially after a double session yesterday with a run and S&C.

I’m off for two weeks now, so a bit of recovery time from work at least. I will be in Edenderry on Sunday for the 10 mile. Coach wants to see where I am at for a longer distance and couldn’t find a half that really suited. A ten mile just down the road ticks the box and should be a decent field for the Kia Race Series. I have ran it previously and was my best 10 mile effort up until Trim in February.

A bit late with last weeks report, so it's a two for one again to cover last week and this week, also covering my effort in Edenderry for the 10 Mile which saw me break my PB for that distance.

Week Commencing: 04/07/22

Monday: 12K Steady

Tuesday: 14K Steady

Wednesday: 3K Warm-Up; 3*12mins [Target Pace HMP] with 90 second recovery; 3K Cool-Down

Thursday: 12K Very Easy

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: 6K Easy

Sunday: Edenderry 10 Mile Race  [with a 2.5K warm-up and cool-down attached]

Total Distance: 84.6K

Weekly Notes:

First week of two off, so I was back to early morning runs so I could dedicate time to spend with my little one. Really felt the Monday run. Granted, I had picked a reasonably tough route, but still. I felt like I had to work it for a steady pace. Given I was in the middle of a long stretch of daily runs, it wasn't surprising I'd be feeling a little leggy. What surprised me more was the next day, same average pace and 2K longer and I felt much fresher at doing the run. Go figure!

Had a few things to do up in the outskirts of Dublin so I used this as an opportunity to stop in Corkagh Park on the way back down to run somewhere different. I've only previously ran there once (the first AsIAm race with the missus) so it was nice to have a change of scenery. Wind had picked up extensively by the afternoon which made some lengths pretty difficult to hit the target pace. First stint was above target but managed to get the final two to where I need to. Tough session, but rewarding and again, nice to freshen up the locale. What was tough with this was I don't have a viable middle-distance pace to judge myself on (last half was Antrim in September), so I used the predictors from Coros and Runalyze to give me an approximate guestimation based off what else it was telling me for other distances that were relatively on par.

Thursday was nice and handy and bookended nine consecutive days of having a run, which is my longest ever. I decided to forgoe my weekly S&C session with Edenderry on Sunday. Some concern at this point as I could feel my throat at me. Probably explains some of the fatigue I have felt during the week that I wasn't 100%. Tested myself, particularly ahead of Sunday, but was all clear.

On to Edenderry. A short hop down the road for me. First thing I copped was on driving into town was that diesel was 2.10 here, as opposed to 2.15 at home. Mental note to fuel up on the way home. The route had changed from 2019, no longer starting in the square. I was a little later than planned to arrive so I was straight up to get the number and get warmed-up. At this point, it was already 18 degrees, but at least we were assisted by a little cloud cover.

In terms of expectations, I had done a 1:04:32 in Trim in February (in not 100% mental and physical conditions either). Objective was to come under that at least. I have no real indicator of my middle-distance pace so

Off to a quick start and heading up the hill. Ahh memories of this one. In the previous year, we came back down this to finish. But more on that later. I slotted in behind a club mate and a few others as we steamed up the hill. Tried to be mindful of pacing knowing that this hill just went on and on for a while. Easy to burn yourself out. Hit the top and already in a short time, the field spread was notable. Myself, a club mate and two others from Cork and Birr seemed to stick together and this would be the case for a while, until it was just myself and Cork runner.

Avoided water on the first water stop as there was only one kid out handing out water and I was right with the Cork runner at this point. Not the end of the world. By jaysus was it warm though. You could just feel the warm air as you were breathing. Kept an eye on the watch and pace was okay - lots of sub 4 minute klicks. Pounded away and the Cork runner dropped back and I was starting to steadily reel in the lone runners ahead. After half distance, my club mate came by - much like in Kildangan and I said let him off. I knew he was quicker than me, but was sure to keep him in sight.

Edenderry's route falls under the 'tough but fair'. I think in that heat, every little drag and incline is going to be felt - and there was plenty of them around. The climb back up towards the end was particularly tough, but I was passing people who looked dead on their feet. I was still going. Like the start, the finish had changed. Instead of a lovely downhill, they took us back around to the far end of town, with some downhill, but also some minor inclines. Man was I cursing them then. Short (but what felt tough) climb back up to the AC track. That made for a nice finish. Not the same kind of feels I get from Tullamore, but nice nonetheless. Actually got a reasonably decent running photo of me taking there too.

Crossed the line to a 01:03:23 chip time. That is an improvement from February of 1:07. Sat on the bank and enjoyed my small bar of chocolate while chatting with my club mate who was only about 20 odd seconds in front. My top clung to me like I had been through a storm. Headed back to the car and changed shoes to do my cool-down before heading home (but not forgetting to fuel the car up!)

Week Commencing: 11/07/22

Monday: 8K Easy

Wednesday: 2K Warm-Up; 10K Tempo; 2K Cool-Down

Thursday: 10K Easy

Friday: 12k Steady [with a short warm-up]

Saturday: 10K Easy 25K Long Run

Sunday: 25K Long Run 10K Easy

Total Distance: 80.5K

Weekly Notes:

Week two of been off, and it at least this week's workload felt like a recovery mode one after last week. I was in Cork for three days at the start of the week with the family, so got that Monday easy run out of the way early before hitting the road.

Used the Wednesday run as an opportunity to explore south-east Cork. Jeez there are some hills out by the coast. Only a 14K run and I did about 230m worth of elevation gain. In hindsight, I should have done the easy run on the Monday evening and saved the harder session for home - but then again, it's good to be pushed. I didn't quite hit the target pace, but given the gradient and hills I was running up, I got pretty close. Is there a gradient-adjusted pace like we have for age-adjusted pace?

Friday provided my first opportunity to link up face to face with my coach. Got there a bit early so added an extra 1.3K to the plan with a warm-up look. Great to be able to go through a few things with the coach on the day, get to do some drills and just having the chats on the trip around. Again, nice to change up the locale as well (and provided me the opportunity to get some last bits I need from shops up that way after).

The original plan, as has been the case for the last few months, is the long run on the Sunday. However, there is a family barbeque this evening, and between what I'm likely to eat and drink, coupled with the expected temps tomorrow morning, had me swap the Saturday/Sunday workload. An easy decision. Somehow I doubt I'd get a quality session in tomorrow, particularly with the target pace set for the 25K. It helped that its only 10K scheduled for tomorrow morning. That can be done and easy. Might even take the opportunity to get it done with my Dad since I'm staying over that way.

So hopefully I'll get back into the habit of doing these weekly rather than bi-weekly going forward (I say with cautious optimism!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the 10mile race, sounds like a tough enough course on a very warm day!

That would be really nice to get your run in with your dad😊

Week Commencing: 18/07/22

Monday: 10K Easy

Wednesday: 2K Warm-Up;12 Tempo; 2K Cool-Down

Friday: 15K Steady

Saturday: 3k Warm-Up; 3K Progression Sets*3 with 2 minute recovery; 3K Cool-Down

Sunday: 26K Long Run

Total Distance: 93.6K

Weekly Notes:

First objective of the week achieved - I've gotten back to a weekly report! Hurrah! To put the finishing touches on last weeks report, I did get out for a run with my Dad on the Sunday morning. For myself, it was a nice and easy one and badly needed to start burning off all the food that was consumed on the night before. It was also great opportunity for me to let him borrow my Endorphin Speed's to give them a go as we are similar size in a Saucony at least (which he went on to purchase a set later in the week!)

A big week this, with what was my highest ever mileage. I think it's mad to think that back in November, when I was looking at the plan for Manchester, I was balking at the idea of doing 10 miles on a work day. This week saw me essentially do two of them in the middle of the week - three if you include the Saturday.

Busy is about to pick up, as they say.

With my return to work, my shifts have changed as I expected, so I'm getting my runs in early in the morning. Even earlier than I thought on some days as I started to wake up before the alarm (thinking I'm subconsciously waking myself up knowing I have to run). I said it before, but I'll say it again - you can definitely see the difference in something like the heart rate on those early morning efforts. I do some light stretching and such, but probably need to factor a bit of time more to properly 'wake up' before the run. Easily seeing an extra 5-10 bpm on the average on runs versus the effort.

Despite the high mileage that was done, I came through it really well - especially Sunday's long run. Constantly found myself having to slow myself down (although to be fair, the GPS signal was a bit all over the place on the day). I do need to remember the ol' nipple protection on the longer runs though - I ended up taking the top off just to make sure I didn't get shot by the nipple sniper for about 6K of it! I felt like a knock-off, pasty-white elite - running topless except for the heart rate monitor and the watch! To be fair though, I at least picked a 6K route that was mostly devoid of traffic, so there was that!

Next week's schedule has literally just arrived. Slight increase in mileage ahead and definitely think it's only a matter of time before I cross the 100K a week mark. Which in itself is kinda crazy when only a few years ago I would be only doing that a month!

Week Commencing: 25/07/22

Wednesday: 3K Warm-Up;14K @ MP; 2K Cool-Down

Friday: 15K Steady

Saturday: 3k Warm-Up; 4K Sets*3 with 3 minute recovery; 3K Cool-Down & S&C

Sunday: 26K Long Run [20K Steady; 6K @ MP]

Total Distance: 100K

Weekly Notes:

Another busy week on the roads with early starts. A new landmark distance as I hit 100K for the week. That.. yeah, that's something. I remember a time that I'd be doing that in a month. The way the month has fallen, I've also eclipsed 400K for the month. So big, big numbers and we are still three months out from Dublin.

Things are going well. While I'm not the biggest fan of these early starts, it is nice to get the runs done early in the morning. I'm still sub-consciously waking myself in the morning, which is a bit of a pain when you wake up and the first number you see is a five. There is some gimmie in my work hours to be out a bit later (not much) but yeah, I'm just getting up and going. What I do need to start doing is structuring in some proper warm-up. Slight niggle in the glute this week. Where else but running can you get away with saying 'yeah, I have a pain in my a**e! I wouldn't mind but I was actually chilling out on the couch on Thursday evening and just felt some discomfort - I got up and felt a sharp pain on getting up. Got through Friday's run okay (could feel it but it wasn't an issue). Not so bad on Saturday morning and just tweaked the S&C session to be mindful of my glutes. Just something I'm monitoring going forward and doing some extra glute related exercise to strengthen it back up. I have to admit that I did feel it at the end of this week, particularly on the final parts of the long run. But that is to be expected. First time in a while I'd say I could feel the tiredness in the legs post-run, so I made a point of taking it very easy for the rest of Sunday.

Overall, things continue to go well. I feel like I'm managing the targets grand and it doesn't feel like I'm pushing beyond my limits. Coming into the three month period before Dublin now, things are start to get serious. Calendar is relatively clear of races from here on out beyond Tullamore at the end of August and the Medic in September, the latter is more training on a hilly course than anything else. Focus is pretty clear on what needs to be done, especially with baby #2 due in about six-ish weeks as well to factor into training.

Week Commencing: 01/08/22

Monday: 12K Easy

Wednesday: 3K Warm-Up;2*5K @ Fast with 2min recoveries ; 3K Cool-Down

Friday:  Unscheduled Rest Day

Saturday: 28K Long Run

Sunday: 16K Steady

Total Distance: 84K

Weekly Notes:

A week of working around not been 100% this has been. Felt like absolute muck on Tuesday, suddenly coming down with a high temp and actually ended up leaving work. Obviously caught a bug from the kids, one of the hazards of working with them. That said, it's the first time in a long time that I actually had to leave work because of it. So that put me a bit on the backstep for the rest of the week. I stubornly, or egotistically, depending on what way you looked at it, went out and did the fast Wednesday session. I felt okay doing it, even if I didn't hit the desired target pace (a given, really, seeing how I was feeling). Probably looking back at it, I should of just treated it as an easy run or taken the day off completely. Thursday's early morning easy run looked okay in terms of the metrics, but I just felt awful doing it. Felt like such a blah run. I was no-where near 100% and I felt that the whole way around.

Common sense finally prevailed for me on Friday. I had every intention of getting up to do the run, even if it was to do it shorter or to take it easy instead of the intended target pace. But woke up early to go to the loo, got back into bed and changed the alarm. After what was still a tough week at work given my condition, running on a Friday morning just didn't make sense.

Good thing was that by Friday evening, I was starting to feel more like myself. So I went about rejigging the runs, bringing the Sunday long run forward because I wanted to prioritise getting that in as it was a 28K run. Luckily, it was already down for been an easy pace run. I re-joined my old running buddies for the first half (it's been an age since I've ran with them - probably back to April to be honest!) and then got through the second half fine, feeling okay throughout. As for this morning, I went out with the intention of getting the 16K in, and just judge the pace as I went. Felt good enough to effectively do my Friday programme and get that in.

So all in all, I only lost one run, a 16/17K interval run that should have been yesterday. I knew to avoid that for today because while I'm feeling better, there was no point compromising the coming week's effort to just fit that in. It's the first time in a long time I've had to miss a scheduled run, although with this been my first 6-day a week running plan, there is no scope to reschedule a run. So mileage is a touch down on where it could have been, probably closer to the 100K mark. But given how I felt Tuesday, to lose only one run in the week is probably best case scenario. Managed to keep a lot of them to a easy to very easy pace for me now so the metrics such as heart rate are all looking pretty good this week at least - I think it's just the general body feeling that I'm still working through. At least with next week and the coming weeks ahead, I'm feeling better and ready to get stuck back into things.

In another bit of running tidbits, I picked up a pair of Novablast 2's recently that were on sale on Asics. I've been looking to try something different to give some extra options to Saucony, something I've detailed in the shoes thread as I had failures to fit for several different brands (I'm surprised the bank doesn't think I'm money laundering with money going out and then returning to me!). The whole 90 day trial thing appeals to me to give them a go and so far, they are doing grand. With my Triumph's practically dead and my Endorphin Speed 1's past 800K and more to the end than the beginning, just really looking for a shoe to just get in the daily miles. First time I'm properly running in Asics in years (aside from one ill-fated run in a pair of oversized Gliderides), where they were my first brand to go with with Kildare Village just down the road from me. Solid shoe thus far, with this morning the first time I've injected a bit of a faster pace into them.

I'm about three weeks out from Tullamore, which will be my first half marathon race in a year and really interested to see how things stand at that distance, particularly with an eye on Dublin and how that result might dictate how things are looking for Dublin.

Week Commencing: 08/08/22

Wednesday: 3K Warm-Up; 12K @ MP ; 3K Cool-Down

Friday: 16K Steady

Saturday: 3K Warm-Up; 10K Alternate Reps between MP and HMP; 3K C/D & S&C session

Sunday: 28K Long Run

Total Distance: 98K

Weekly Notes:

Everything back on track this week after the catching that 24 hour bug early last week. I won't say I was 100%, the nose felt a little at me at times, but there was nothing that impacted the running. While I haven't been a fan of those early morning runs, I will say it was a godsend this week given the temperatures. I think I averaged the week out around 12 degrees with getting out around 6am mark each morning. Purposely trying to choose routes with some hills and drags on them to avoid making them 'easy'. Three times around Killenard is proof in the pudding of that (even if one of those three was going down the big hill!).

As the week (and the heat) went on, the sleep became more erratic, particularly for the little one. This weekend has been tough with her up due to the heat several times - and I'm not the one who easily goes back to sleep either, which doesn't help. I for one will be glad when some of these temperatures subside next week. Broke the long run into two as I took the opportunity to take part in a club organised run. Got 7K in beforehand to reach my distance. The intention was to run it close to their start time and briefly pause the watch, but with me being me and not wanting to be late, there was a ten or so minute wait. Rather than leave the watch sitting paused that long, I just said I'd break it in two. It was nice to have the company though. Something that has been lacking recently and nice to find some who was running my pace, even if it was a pace that got pretty brisk near the end. But great to get out, particularly as I haven't been able to get to many sessions lately with the change in work hours and the early start.

As for next week, the mileage is much the same, although my first 30K long run is in it and an extra rest day on Friday. I'll be back to evening runs, as my hours have changed with someone on holidays so again, I'll be glad if those temps come down some into next week.

• Advertisement

Week Commencing: 15/08/22

Monday: 12K Easy

Wednesday: 3K Warm-Up; 3*4K @ HMP* with 90 second recovery ; 3K Cool-Down

Saturday: 3K Warm-Up; 10*1K Hard with 200m ; 3K C/D & S&C session

Sunday: 30 Long Run

Total Distance: 89K

Weekly Notes:

A five day run-week instead of the usual six, which is a change from the norm. It was welcomed with a change in my work shifts for at least the next two weeks where I am on the earlier shift. So that means I'm not out running early in the morning, having to do it in the evening. I look at the average temperatures of my runs and suddenly this week has shot up because I'm not getting out at 6AM in the morning. I have to say, I do miss that routine of getting up early and getting the run in - mainly because it frees up the evening. There is a freshness to the day, as well as myself (even if I do often point out the warm-up stages of those runs are generally when I'm still half-asleep).

Did similar routes for the Wednesday and Saturday harder runs, mainly because I need to avoid the traffic. A cow crossing of all things was a pain to deal with on Saturday. On my ninth set and this farmer starts to unload the cows onto the road. I did slow down, but also kept going. Farmer didn't seem impressed, but then again I wasn't impressed with her! If not for it been a case there was no simple way to get around or to back-track, without adding to an absurdly longer walk home, meant I had to get through them. I may keep that in mind for next time I'm down that way though.

Longest run since Manchester this morning. I felt really good on it. Nice and easy with a steady heart rate which only climbed on the hills. I purposely put as many of the local drags and inclines into it to add a bit of work to it. Dublin isn't going to be easy, so I can't cheat myself by taking the easy routes either. It was a lovely morning for it. I will admit, it was the first morning I contemplated sticking headphones in given I knew I was going to be out for a long time. Decided against it, but it was very tempting.

Just keeping a close eye on a bit of tenderness in my groin area. A little tender, but not something that stops me running. Just need to do some exercises, like I had to with the glutes in previous weeks. Something I need to get myself in gear on about is my pre-hab. I seem to have a few more minor niggles than I generally would on this training cycle (probably not a surprise with the increased load). Definitely don't want to have things like that effect things. There is enough going on with the stressors of finances and everything else without an injury derailing things.

Next Saturday is Tullamore. The big litmus test so far. I haven't raced a Half proper for a year. This is where I'll get a good indicator of where I am at for Dublin. It's a fair but tough course, something I've been looking forward to for a while now. A bit of redemption as well as the last time I was there, I had to slow it up because of stomach issues (which were influenced by work stressors I firmly believe) hampered the day. My PB is just over 1:29. Definitely think I can top that next Saturday if everything goes right.

So I'll probably, hopefully post something up maybe on Friday to cover the week, with a race report (hopefully positive) to follow on the late Saturday/Sunday.

Week Commencing: 22/08/22

Tuesday: 2K W/U; 5*1K @ HMP with 75 second recoveries; 2K C/D

Wednesday: 10K Easy

Thursday: Rest Day

Friday: 6K Very Easy

Saturday: 3K Warm-Up; Tullamore Half Marathon; 4K Cool-Down

Sunday: Rest Day

Total Distance: 66.6K

Weekly Notes:

So the grand plan of posting a blog on Friday went out the window as I stayed over in my folks house on Friday evening as my Dad was also going to be running Tullamore. Internet back home is back in the stone ages!

A week of tapering ahead of the race with significantly lower mileage. Another week of late evening runs so feeling that extra heat in the evenings. The only change with was a decision to run absurdly early on Friday morning instead of Friday evening. I literally rolled out of bed and out for a run and jaysus did it show in the running metrics. Never going to do that again if I can help it. Definitely need at minimum, some breakfast and at least 30 minutes before I get out the door to be some semblance of been okay.

Race Report: Bord na Mona Tullamore Half Marathon

So yesterday was Tullamore. Clear skies, a day that got warmer as it went on. Was over early with Dad so got the number and a quick opportunity to chat with a few people I knew. Atmosphere was quickly building up as I started my jog around to get the warm-up in. Weather was picking up and even in the hour between arriving and the race, you could feel it getting warmer.

Out to the start and unfamiliar territory to be closer to the front and ahead of all pacers. Started with a few club mates I knew were in or around my pace time. As I have said before in this log, the half marathon pace is a bit of an unknown. I haven't raced properly since I did Antrim exactly a year ago, and the Medic Half two weeks later. There was no Half race in my Manchester build up due to a lack of viable options. So this was the first time in a year. In terms of where my pace aim was at, I was looking at what I was getting a rough gauge off the race predictors that Coros and Runalyze were given. Usually, I take those things with a pinch of salt, but the shorter distances are bang on for what I am at so, it was a useful gauge. So I figured, roughly I could be anywhere between 4:00min/km to a 4:08min/km. Add to it that Tullamore isn't what you would call a PB course. Undulating with some long drags and inclines - it is a great pre-Dublin tester at this distance.

So anyway, to the race. Off at the horn and away with the masses. Is there any better sound the the collective 'whack' of running shoes off the tarmac? Cracking on out of town and good support from the locals. Things settled after a kilometer and found myself a small group that was going at around that 4:00min/km pace. Latched on to them and was focusing on my own thing. Stomach started to feel a little empty in the first few kilometers (admittedly, was a large enough gap between breakfast and leaving the house and running. Need to make mental note of that) so I made the decision to take a precautionary gel early at 5K). A bit of water at the first stop and always find taking on water just affects the breathing a little. Had a quick early look at the heart rate and to be honest, it was higher than expected. Yes, it's a race, but didn't think I'd be pushing it that high that soon.

Stuck with this little running group until I'd say about 8K-9K at this point I started to detach with them and focused on my own thing. Could hear the footsteps behind every now and then but found myself spending little time checking over my shoulder to see what was going on. Eyes forward on the prize. Got up to halfway and essentially starting to make our way back across and to head back towards the town. At this point, a gaggle of about four of five lads cruised by. They must have been late starters. Again, just kept my head down and focused on my own thing. Had a little chat with a Na Fianna runner, giving a little advice to mind the remaining inclines on tired legs. He went on and I just dug in, passing out a few guys who were struggling along. Was delighted to take the turn for the long stretch home. That said, there were some long stretches of straights. Had forgotten that.

It was the incline at 15K that I felt really took it out of me. It wasn't severe, but after pushing it hard so far, it was felt. I was glad for the few downhill parts to just recover at little from it and to maintain paces. Felt for the last 5K, there was a case of pushing on to maintain what I had as opposed to pushing on to go faster. Those final few inclines were done through gritted teeth, but once I got on to the home stretch back towards the club grounds, I knew I was close.

The sounds of PA and people cheering, the bell ringing for those entering the track were a welcome sight. Wasn't a whole lot left in the tank for a grandstand finish but I do love the track finish around Tullamore - but jeez does it feel massive when you are out there. On to the final stretch and whatever I had left, I cracked on and crossed the line to a clenched fist of joy.

Looked at the watch - 1:25:09!

Bloody heck. Average pace of 4:02min/km. Right on the upper end of my best expectations. Got my medal and my goody bag and just let the result soak in as others came in. Very warm weather conditions and on a tough enough course, its an amazing result. Don't get me wrong, I have definitely thought about where I could of gained 10 seconds to be sub-1:25. But then I think about to that sequence between 15K to 20K and how I felt it tough - so to come in at that time is bloody well fantastic.

The post race cool down was a plod. I really need a cushy recovery shoe for that. Plodded along around before returning to the track area to look for my Dad. Saw the 2:10 pacer come in, but no sign of him (he had plans to run with them). Searched the area and waited near the entry to the stadium to cheer him in. Then I noticed him over near the finish area coming over to me. Turns out he came in a 2:03! An amazing result for my Dad, who is 68 and what was only his third half marathon distance. So a fantastic day of PB's for the family out in Tullamore.

Home to relax after that, watch some F1 quali and then a nice Chinese to celebrate. Delighted that today is a rest day on the schedule. Just chilling as I write this before planning to head out for a walk with wife and child to burn off some of the latter's energy. Legs feel grand all things considered.

Yesterday was a big result, especially in the context of Dublin. I know that a good half doesn't automatically translate into a great marathon time - or that it is necessary (again, going back to Manchester I didn't have a representative half marathon time, only a ten miler in Trim). But boy does it feel good. And I'd like to think it keeps me on track for Dublin.

Now, time to chill... at least until I get next weeks schedule in the e-mail later today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats to both you and your Dad. Both brilliant times. I enjoyed reading your report and that you are so delighted with doing such a good time. Well done.

Only catching up on this now! Well done on a brilliant race, super time by you & your dad - so special to share this joy together. Great confidence booster for DCM 22😊

Missed out last week in posting so I'm doubling up. Considering that I'll be running the local half marathon (The Medic Half Marathon) on Sunday and only have an easy 8K to do tomorrow, I can get away with a log update now and a race update on Sunday.

Week Commencing: 29/08/22

Wednesday: 3K W/U; 3*4K @ MP with 120 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Friday: 14K Progression Run

Saturday: Rest Day

Sunday: 30K Easy

Total Distance: 83.5K

Weekly Notes:

After the hard work in Tullamore, this week was more of an easier workload (albeit getting the mileage is tracking back upwards. The only hard session been the intervals on Wednesday. What really stuck out this week was the Saturday rest day. I don't usually take Saturday's off. In fact, this is the first Saturday I missed all year. I only missed two last year - the day I installed the kitchen and Christmas Day (which to be honest I planned to get out to do, but it was really crappy weather). So in two years, I had only missed two Saturday's up until the day. I was really tempted to shoehorn the run in, whether to delay the Friday one or because of the dodgy weather, move forward the Sunday run. In the end, I decided against it. The plan is there for a reason. If anything, it just stops me seeking such a 'streak' now that its broken.

Week Commencing: 05/09/22

Monday: 14K Steady

Tuesday: 3K W/U; 8*1K @ Hard with 60 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Wednesday: 12K Easy

Thursday: 3K W/U; 12K @ MP; 3K C/D

Friday: 8K Easy

Sunday: 3K W/U; Medic Half Marathon @ MP Pace; 3K C/D

Total Distance: 95K

Weekly Notes:

Race week - of sorts. The Medic was always on the agenda as a local run. It's a hilly course though and a good training course for the marathon. It was one I never intend to PB at (however, with that said, I did get within about 30-odd seconds of my Antrim time last year, two weeks after that race so - what do I know!) Ultimately, we came to the easy decision that I will run it at marathon pace, which should give me a decent idea of how I feel at it. Even with that in mind, could likely set my second, if not third fastest half time on the day. Weather looks a bit dodgy though.

Lots of early morning runs. Feeling groggy this week, particularly as I write this now. Work has been hectic with the return of the ECCE and everything involved. Changes within the environment have left me feeling like I'm working harder to cover bases. So that on top of everything else has me working in overdrive. There is a temptation to leave that easy 8K on Friday for tomorrow evening, but at least if I manage one more early morning, I can relax tomorrow evening properly.

Everything gets turned upside down next week. This day next week we have the date for the arrival of baby number 2. So I'll be off for two weeks paternity leave and juggling two kids instead of one, along with a marathon programme. At this point, I'm not overally concerned about the two weeks off - it's going to be that final month before Dublin where I'm juggling everything while back to work. But just going to have to take it one week at a time.

Exciting times ahead.

Race Report; The Medic Half Marathon

Result: 1:27:56 (9th overall)

Came through the Medic HM all good today. Horrid weather to contend with. Heavy traffic on the way in, so I was glad I had made the decision to stay over in my folks house. Debated whether to run in the light jacket. Decided to do so in the end. In these money tight times, can’t afford to be ditching gear! Rain was everything from light to moderate as we waited to get going. At the very least it was a decent turnout.

As I said in the last update, the plan was to do this a little quicker than minimum marathon pace. Started off with a couple of the lads from the club and was a little quicker than planned. The climbs after 5K allowed me to bring that average back down. Get comfortable enough. Taking heart rate with a pinch of salt as I’m still without a HRM, so reliant on the watch. Negotiated the tougher climbs in the first half and found myself having a grand chat with the clubmates.

The back half of it felt like part running, part puddle jumping given the amount of rain that had fallen. Quickly spotted how the mile markers were well off. I passed 10 miles with 16.7K on the watch. It corrected itself by the end, but if you were pacing by mile marker, you would be blowing a gasket.

As one club mate fell back and the other saw a PB on the horizon, I just settled in to maintain my target pace. Nearly fluffed up at the end when, in my attempt to miss a big puddle, I jumped to the left of cone. Only after I made that move did I notice there was a ribbon on the cones to guide us in. Contemplated a jump, but decided to duck under it and in to the finish.

Watch had me at 1:28, but chip time had me four seconds faster, which was nice. Delighted to see my Dad at the end, who had again excelled in doing the 10K distance. Jogged on home in the rain for the cool down. (Looked at the 10K results and also thought, could have won that!)

I looked at state! Calves were caked in dirt and I’d say there was probably extra weight given the water in the clothes. Stomach was in bits though. Admittedly, the diet yesterday was pretty bad and I’d say that, a gel and the running around was a cocktail for disaster. Couldn’t even stomach dinner after. A lie down helped, so hopefully I’ll be grand (I’m mindful of a gastro-bug doing the rounds in the work place and the local work area as well). Bit of a stupid move on my part to let the diet be so poor. Think in my head I treated it more as a long run than a race.

Busy week ahead. Got my plan, and the mileage is going to be north of 100K, including a 33K long run. Or course, even more important changes come Thursday with the new arrival. What a week ahead.

Long overdue log from last week with everything going on. Baby #2 finally made her grand entrance last Thursday so with everything going on, it's been the first chance I've had to sit down and properly jot everything out.

Week Commencing: 12/09/22

Tuesday: 3K W/U; 3*3K @ 5K/10K with 120 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Wednesday: 14K Easy

Thursday: 3K W/U; 14K @ MP; 3K C/D

Friday: 33k Long Run

Sunday: 8K East

Total Distance: 103K

Weekly Notes:

Nine months of waiting finally came to a head this week with the arrival of our second child. I went out, as planned for my run - a solid 19K run early in the morning, my last early morning run for a while I bet. Glad I did, as while we were in the hospital early, things didn't come about until the late afternoon. A long a** wait, but well worth it. The new arrival saw me tweak the schedule a bit. The long run, planned for Sunday, I moved to Friday. Main thinking was the eldest was in creche, the youngest in hospital - perfect chance for a run that was going to take over two and a half hours. That said, it was the first time my watch actually started giving out to me my workload, which is only fair given that it was six days on the trot with the Medic race included in it. Not surprised at all. I was however, glad to have that run out of the way as the eldest wasn't 100% either, along with all the changes. So I was getting sleep deprivation before the new baby even came home! So this is what life is going to be like going forward. Least I can tell the little one that my first run after she was born was a long 33K run!

I've dropped my S&C sessions for the time being. It's a long haul to get to my guy, which is going to be increasingly difficult now with a second child in the house. There is also a financial aspect to it, so it will start saving me money as well as fuel costs. I hope to get back to him, but realistically I might just have to do stuff at home or find someone closer.

Fun fact, this was my third Saturday with no run in a row. Going back two years to find a stretch like that. Only spoke recently how that 'Saturday Ironman' Streak was going. Well and truly broken now!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Congrats on the new arrival and well done with your training.

Thoughts on your training, take these with a pinch of salt from a man who made every mistake in the book.

3*3km at 5/10km pace with 2 min recoveries seems like overtraining 101. I don’t think I’d have been able to do that when seriously fit and running well.

A steady run the day before, what was the purpose of this run? Not fast enough for you to develop any racing specific fitness but fast enough for it to take the edge off your legs for your session the following day.

only one days rest before the other session of the week. Has your body recovered well enough to absorb the benefits of the previous session? I’d guess not. So you have not obtained the benefits of the prior session and your legs are sufficiently tired which impacted the quality of the second session. This is true even if you tell yourself you’re felling fine.

33km long run after the second session. Again, recovery is compromised(even if just jogging) which means you aren’t reaping the benefits of the quality sessions.

Big huge congrats on the new arrival 😊

• Advertisement

Week Commencing: 19/09/22

Monday: 15K Steady

Tuesday: 3K W/U; 4*4K @ sub-MP with 90 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Wednesday: 12K Easy

Thursday: 18K Steady and Physio Visit

Saturday: 3K W/U; 12*500m @ 5K with 75 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Sunday: 34K Long Run

Total Distance: 115K

Weekly Notes:

So this week I have the advantage of been able to schedule my runs been on paternity leave. (Which, to be honest, is stupidly underpaid, but this isn't the forum for it). Hard to believe I only have a few days left of it!. I've been dropping my eldest to creche and getting out after, with some varied morning times. Y'know, you think that with a brighter day you might take advantage of different run routes. But then you have to factor in daily traffic. Or school practice, to be precise. Jaysus, some people don't belong on the roads. Really felt it on the Thursday morning one, with grimy, wet conditions and plenty of cars not wanting to get dirty (particularly looking at those of the German car-make variety!). As I was saying several logs ago, I've been trying to find as much inclines, climbs and hills as I can on my routes - which invariably lead me to going the same way - which gets a bit boring after a while.

I had contemplated doing a change-up similar to last week, moving that long run to the end of the week. Had even green lit it with the coach. But ultimately decided to keep the plan as the plan. My intention is, for the benefit of ensuring my wife has support with the kids is to go over to my folks house on this Sunday and the upcoming Sunday's. That will give the extra support for the kids while I go and do runs that are going to be two and half hours plus ahead of Dublin. I have to say I really enjoyed my long run - a solid banked run that just felt good the whole way around. Nice end to the week.

The real challenge of course will be when I get back to work, and having to juggle everything together. Say goodbye to those early morning runs I was doing for the last few weeks, that's for sure!

I took the opportunity to this week to do a physio visit. Just a check-up to ensure everything is going okay with the increased workload these past few months. I've got some exercises to do around strengthening up, especially with S&C nixed going forward. Hopefully this will help ensure anything is nipped in the bud and not have it flair up from been a discomfort to something that causes an issue with Dublin just around the corner.

Five weeks to go now. Won't be long coming around! I’ve also sorted out accommodation for the night before. Found a AirBnB in Dublin for the night before. A bit of a no brainier since I’ll have to collect the number on Saturday. Prefect to get a good nights sleep ahead of the race and less stress for travelling up the morning of.

Advertisement