Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Early Years Edu-racer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Week Commencing: 26/09/22

Monday: 10K Easy

Tuesday: 3K W/U; 10*1K with 75 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Wednesday: 15K Easy with Strides

Thursday: 16K Steady

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: 35K Long Run w/ 7K @ MP

Sunday: 6K Easy

Total Distance: 100K

Week Commencing: 03/10/22

Monday: 8K Steady

Tuesday: 3K W/U; 2*8K @ MP with 90 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: 16K Steady

Saturday: 34K Long Run Progression

Sunday: 8K Easy

Total Distance: 89K

Weekly Notes:

Playing catch up since the arrival of the newborn. So this is to cover the past two weeks. The last full week in September was the last of paternity leave. So at the very least for that week, I only had one post-work run. I've gotten so used to the morning runs you easily forget how dark it is in the evenings when you get out.

As for last week, yep, first full week back at work and juggling everything. The one things that has struck me since the arrival of the baby is the broken sleep. Tough going, trying to balance that and of course making sure there is adequate sleep/recovery. That Tuesday session though, oi. That was tough. 22K all in all into the darkness at MP pace. For those of you who follow me on Strava would have seen me mention a discomfort/pressure/pain in the right groin. This in itself was strange because up until now, any little niggles have been on the left side. Don't think I landed awkwardly or anything, but I do wonder was I more tense than I would usually have running at a hard pace into the darkness on country roads. Anyway, yeah, I was feeling it after the run.

After that, I changed up the plan for the week. Took Wednesday off as a precaution and upped the mobility work I had been doing on the left side to include the right side. Thursday I got in as planned, as a tester to see how thing were (an mid-day run, as I had a window of opportunity between an appointment and work). Friday was off as planned and then the long run on Sunday. Progression long run with the pace building up to MP before backing off on the last 6K. Felt in pretty good shape throughout it, although I was mindful to not have an as challenging route to just be mindful of the niggles. I went on Sunday to get some mileage in to make up for that missed Wednesday run. The intention was to do the 12K, but once I got going, I felt the best option was to cut it short and keep it easy, hence only doing 8K. No point killing myself now this close to things.

So, now we head into 'tapering', although having just got my plan yesterday for the week ahead, my long run is still.. long! But down to 5 days and that other hard session is considerably shorter. After talking with the coach, changing the routine around to keep that harder session until later in the week to just keep a close eye on how that groin is feeling and make sure we keep on top of things.

I for one won't miss those long mid-week runs into the darkness, that is for sure!

Week Commencing: 10/10/22

Monday: 16K @ MP

Tuesday: 12K Steady

Wednesday: 3K W/U; 14*400m @ 5K with 75 second recoveries; 3K C/D

Thursday: 10K Steady

Saturday: 30K Long Run

Sunday: Rest Day

Total Distance: 83K

Weekly Notes:

Just two weeks to the big day as I write up this report. Another week done and dusted and while the mileage is edging downwards, there was still a pretty hefty long run to be done at the end of it!

I ultimately did my weekday plan backwards. With the little bit of discomfort in the groin (I swear, I don't think a giggalo has spoken as much about their groin as I have over the recent weeks), we made the decision to just push the harder session to later in the week. The original plan had that session on the Thursday but come Wednesday, felt pretty good and did it then - up and down the bog road like a loon. Think there was one poor lad on a bike I passed multiple times that I had to say to him I wasn't actually following him!

I found that the easier run last Sunday set me up nicely for the week nicely. It's still a discomfort in the groin, at times, with the wrong stride, like a pressure. At this point I don't think it will be perfect for Dublin, but that the added stretching and mobility exercises I'm doing are definitely aiding in keeping it from been a bigger issue than if I had left it unattended. This week was probably the best week for it, although I did feel it more this morning - my own fault because I didn't do the exercises yesterday evening and was a bit half-assed about them on Friday. I got a decent 30 minutes on the mat this morning with a range of exercises and she is doing much better. Have to stay on top of it.

Otherwise, it's been a good week. Solid mileage. Got everything into the plan. The long run saw me back out amongst the elevation changes of Emo and Killenard to keep me honest. Only this week did I find myself getting lashed on with the weather.

Sleep remains a tetchy issue with the newborn. Really wish she would go down quicker at night after her feed. It's led to some pretty broken nights sleep which is hardly ideal. Definitely don't want that to be an excuse come the day.

Next weekend is going to be a right pain, as I have to do a work-training day on Saturday. So hoping that my last long run before Dublin isn't overally long. The club are doing a 10K pre-marathon run on the Sunday which I would love to do, but we shall see. Case again of needing to be a bit selfish with watching this groin discomfort ahead of the race in two weeks. I have my pre-race massage sorted for the Monday of the marathon - the best I could manage with bookings. So that's another thing off the 'to-do' list at least.

At least I can look forward to a decent nights sleep ahead of the marathon with a B&B booked - well, let's call it what it is, a bed. It's going to be an early start with been in the first wave. Car parking is sorted and at least that will take a lot of pressure off getting the number pick-up at the expo.

So, at this point, probably have one last update blog, and then for the last week a proper summation of the hopes, dreams and what I'm hoping to get done. That came about awfully quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Fantastic block of training. One thing, don't worry about the runs over the next two weeks, the work is done; just relax and enjoy the little things.

Very much intend to. Just got my schedule for the next two weeks and I’d say there is more rest days than run days in it! Not going to know myself over the next two weeks! 😂

Week Commencing: 17/10/22

Monday: 2K W/U; 10K TT; 2K C/D

Tuesday: 8K Very Easy

Wednesday: 12K Easy

Thursday: Rest Day

Friday: 12K Progression

Saturday: Rest Day

Sunday: 20K Long Run

Total Distance: 67K

Weekly Notes:

The last full week of training. Mileage is notably tapering down to 67K this week. It was another week I had to change things around. I had a full day work training to attend on Saturday (the less said about that, the better - believe me!) so I had to move things around to suit. I also wanted to get down to the club session on Tuesday to get my new vest. So that meant moving the 10K run to Monday. To be honest, glad for that - while the day was horribly windy, it cleared up nicely to get it done. If there is one thing I picked up on this training rotation, is that triangle loop outside of town which is great for this kind of work. I will say, I'm still adapting to trying to run fast sessions in the dark. Sure, I wear a light, but I just find myself more tense, for lack of a better, when running in the dark. Another reason I'm glad for that little loop.

Down to the club on Tuesday night for an easy run. It worked nicely in with the club session that was on for the marathon runners. It was nice to be back amongst the club. It's something I haven't this training routine as I've had to do things for myself. So a nice social element to things. Wednesday session was grand, although felt a little tightness in the left calf. Nothing major, but I have physio tomorrow to just do the checks and balances on things ahead of Sunday.

Friday's session. Yikes. Wet, windy, dark. Didn't enjoy it at all really as I felt like I was dodging puddles. A progression run as well so somehow I hit my marks - but again, it was another tense session given the weather. Proper wet stuff too. Got it done, got it in, but yeah, it was a session I'd of love a change of conditions. Saturday was staff training - blah. As for Sunday, the club have a pre-marathon 10K as a send off. I broke my 20K into two, running down in more crappy wet weather. The second half was a slow start with the crew, before finding a few lads at the pace I had planned to run. Again, it was nice to be amongst the club ahead of the marathon. It's the one thing I've missed with training solo. A nice send-off.

So yeah, I've a couple of runs this week, scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. A 7K (2K-3K-2K) and an easy 8K. There is an optional shuffle on Saturday, but with travelling up for the Expo and staying up, I won't be doing that. So the three rest days will be the longest rest period I've had all year the way things have worked out. As mentioned before, I have physio tomorrow evening to iron out the kinks. It's only a matter, like Manchester, of avoiding catching anything from the kids in the next week (not easy, working in the early years), staying out of trouble and trying to get some decent sleep.

I'll make a post later on the week with a bit of a look at the race and such. It's going to be a long week, I imagine, as the anticipation grows...

• Advertisement

The calm before the storm.

Sitting and chilling in my AirBnB room now as I go over the final bits. This last week has definitely felt unusual with the serious drop in mileage. Just two runs, a 7K on Tuesday (2K @ 4:45 either side or a 3K @ MP effort) and easy 8K Wednesday. There was the option for a short shuffle this morning, but decided it wasn’t worth it for ten minutes, especially with having to travel up today and the inevitable walking that ensued. Physio on Monday went grand. No issues, and even an area I thought might of caused something came through okay. So happy out there. The biggest scare has been trying to avoid whatever dose is going around. My eldest had a temp and cough on Monday. Got off work early to mind her while also taking Tuesday. It will hurt the bank account but definitely the right thing to do with the new baby around. It also gave me some extra rest days avoiding the kids in work. So far, I’ve managed to dodge it, while taking precautions of taking vitamins and whatnot to hopefully ward off anything. I’d be lying if I felt perfect - that could also be the maranoia setting in. I’ll take on whatever cold or dose is coming after tomorrow though!

So, everything sorted today. Bit of a trek via public transport but got me outside the door. Straight in to get the number, and I think the only time I stopped in the queue was to actually get the number. Had a quick scoot around the expo. It was grand. Nothing immediately stuck out at me to buy, but if I was in the mood I could have dropped some money. Busy enough, and had the wife been there I could have gotten her to try on a few shoes with Christmas in mind! The focus has to be on tomorrow and no point getting distracted with new stuff. Back into the city centre for a very quick scoot about and to get some food before heading back out here to the AirBnB (although a quick walk to the pharmacy to ensure I had Vaseline for the morning!)

Tomorrow.. yeah, that’s going to be interesting. An early start to move the car to the pre-booked parking location for an easy exit. Boy they better be open as promised! As for goals, well, I’ve trained with the pace in mind for a sub-3. I’m conscious that Dublin is not as flat as Manchester, and I’m essentially chasing a 10 minute PB here. Say it like that and it’s a tall order. That said, I’ve come through a serious training block. I think I maxed out at about 75-80K for Manchester, averaging around 60K maybe a week? For Dublin, I maxed out over 110K, with the averages closer to 90K in this block. So the hard work has been done and done well. In total, I’d say I only missed 20K of mileage.

There are demons to overcome out there. Last two Dublins I ended up burning out and having to walk/jog. This is where though that finish in Manchester installs the confidence. I can do it. I just have to smart about it. Take it easy at the start (something I’ve been drilling into myself this last week) and then use that training to get me through the second half. Conquer those demons and come home strong. I admit, I have, for better or worse, a lot of personal pressure on myself for it. No-one, save maybe the coach, has aims for me. So it’s all on my. And yeah, this is ‘the’ marathon. It’s home ground. It’s something I want to chalk off and say I did it and I did it well.

So, what is doing it well? If I’m talking targets, I would be delighted with 2:59:59. It’s what I’ve trained for and would be the reward for the early mornings, long nights and making training work alongside a new born. The B-goal? Come in ahead of the 3:09:22 that was Manchester, something I feel I should be possible even if I find myself not at 100% in the morning. Worse case scenario - do it without stopping and with a smile!

Thats it really. Months of hard work and graft all comes down to how the day goes. Mad that. At least I should get one night of un-interrupted sleep here at the AirBnB. Just need to do a final check list, make sure everything is ready, do a final strategy review and let the day take me where it does.

Just Bring It!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck😊

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Well done on all the hard work during the block and best if luck tomorrow.

Race Report: Irish Life Dublin Marathon 2022

I've had a day to reflect on 'the big day', an opportunity to think things over and get my thoughts in order before what is likely to be my last long race report of the year. 2022 was built around this race in particular, with Manchester earlier in the year used as a testing ground and confidence builder. Unlike previous years, I was very focused on what events to take part of during the training block, forgoing the usual 'sure that looks a great place to go for a race, or ooh, pretty medal' distractions in the past years. As I said in my Saturday log, the ultimate hope and dream was a sub-3. My paces in training all pointed towards it. My primary goal was besting Manchester's 3:09 and to do what I hadn't done in the past two Dublins, which was come home without stopping.

I sit here tonight, writing this, in relatively sound mind, sore body (especially the legs) and at last, starting to succumb to this cold with a sniffy nose after the rest of the family getting something during the week!

Put the kettle on, this is a long one!

Pre-Race

Up early for the AirBnB after having eight uninterrupted hours of sleep. I had forgotten what that felt like! Got myself my pre-planned breakfast which had been utilised throughout training, got my kit on and out onto the roads. Driving on the wet streets of Dublin, I felt there was a hint of apprehension while I let Google Maps lead me in. I'm pretty sure at one point I may of crossed over to wrong side of the road given the myriad of lines around the place on the ground. I think there was that heightened sense of wanting to get there, but the darkness and the unfamiliarity of the city just had me a little on edge. Got to the Q-Park in St. Stephens Green in good time, right before a mad rush arrived and found a relatively okay parking spot (especially given the size of the spots!). Only had one flight of stairs to get down and I was on the streets and walking!

As I headed towards Stephens Green, I saw the sizable queue waiting to get into the car park. I timed that one well. I began my short trek down to the baggage area, seeing many others making that trip. At the baggage area, we had the long wait for it to be opened. This allowed me to quickly just sort the bag out a little. I had packed to cover all weathers, and given the warm morning for the end of October, I wasn't going to be needing gloves or anything like that. They can be thrown away another day! It was then I did realise I had left the nerofen in the car. Bugger that. It wasn't essential - if anything, was probably more of a placebo for that ongoing groin niggle that had been at me for the last month or so. So the wait for the baggage area to open was like a mini-race start as we all waited around. Checked in on the family and then once we got through, followed the pack. Right before the bag check-in I met a bunch from the local hometown and club, including my cousin. So had a little chat with them prior to going to drop my bag off. Plenty of well wishes amongst the group.

After the bag drop, I headed towards the start area - and for the first time, just had to take the first right and not go all the way around the block! Skipped the long toilet queues, finding the shorter ones closer to the top. Got that all sorted and just chilled and waited for the race start. More people arrived, the group compacted and I was glad I wasn't on the edge of things given that people had a game of chuck the throwaway clothes on top of the portoloos (or on people's heads, when it missed). Saw the 3 hour pacer balloons but they were right at the front, it seemed. Plenty big gap, so following them out wasn't going to be option outside of a hard push at the first. Like Manchester, the plan was to do things on my own. The gun goes and we are off!

The Race

There was a plan for the first half - come in anywhere from 1:29 to 1:32. Take it easy, be disciplined and don't blow a gasket in the first half, as I would say I had done in previous attempts. And I felt that was something that was achieved. I felt comfortable. Heart rate a tad high, maybe, but you find that in races. I was careful on those initial drags through the city not to overcook things. Linked up with my cousin and his training mate, which meant I had someone to have the chats with throughout the first part of the race, which was nice to have. He was in a similar boat to me, seeking a sub-3 if everything went right. It took onto the Phoenix Park before I felt there was space starting to appear around runners. Saw a few familiar faces cheering, including my coach at this point. I felt comfortable. My strides looked okay, I didn't feel like I was exerting myself. That said, it was here, thereabouts that I started feeling a niggle/discomfort in the right inner leg along the groin. This, for those avid readers of this log, was something that flared up after I started exercising on the left sided issue - on that into-the-night double marathon-paced 8K stint. I could feel it. It wasn't stopping me from running, but I knew it was there and it wasn't going away (this despite me giving myself a good spray of deep-heat before proceedings). It was now I did lament not bringing those bloody nerofen or at least taking them prior to getting going.

At this point, I was sticking to the plan, keeping my kilometer paces within a five-or-so second range and where I wanted to be. Those pacer balloons just seemed to be edging away all the time, even though my average pace was sitting somewhere between 4:18min/km to 4:20min/km at this point. Wasn't concerned. I was running my own race. Out of the Park and jaysus, I tell you, Dublin may not be the easiest of courses but the crowds that come out to support it, they are something else. Was always hard to know what exactly to expect post-COVID but I think there are few races that can get a crowd out to support you like Dublin. It's hair-raising and you just feel that thump in your head.

Heading towards Crumlin, I felt good. Maybe an element of 'okay, is this going to be possible' starting to creep in as that wind blew into the face. It wasn't the worst wind, but this was a day where everything needed to go right. Across halfway and I came in about 1:31. That's okay I thought. To target. I said to my cousin and his training partner I was going to up it and see where things were at after I passed the hospital and saw the decline down (funnily enough, passing the general area I had stayed the night before!). Plan now was to drop that average pace down to the 4:15min/km and work to get the negative split. Groin was still there, still at me. Regretted not bringing the phone with me to text anyone who was watching to have something handy for me (not that I would have see them). Element of doubt started to creep in when I very much felt the extra effort in pushing on. I'd say around this point was my first thinking that sub-3 might be a stretch. That said, now that I'm looking at the splits - I was looking good. 27K to 33K were between 4:17min/km to 4:12min/km. It was very much on.

And then it wasn't. That long winding stretch on Clonskeagh Road and into Roebuck was where the damage was truly done. I wouldn't even say Roebuck to be honest. It was the grind into the wind on Clonskeagh that literally and figuratively took the wind out of my sails, losing 20 seconds for each of the two kilometers. A even the drop in elevation through 37K did nothing for me to try to claw something back. It was at this point I felt a real need to go the toilet. A proper tight pressure in the loins that was saying 'you need to go'. I was tempted to stop in a hedge, in a toilet on the way but I pushed on. I was close to emotional at one point, as I thought there was real prospect of needing to stop. Started cursing at myself, had to be strong. We are now into 'manage the situation, and get home'. I really did feel the need to pee though. On the bright side, that pain on the right groin had seemingly gone. A bit of a lonely stretch as the field thinned. As much as I felt I was struggling though, there were others in much worse shape. I wasn't going to stop. Feck that. I had been there before. If I stopped, I was broken. Mentally, I had to push through.

Those final few kilometers, I was just plodding along. The legs were feeling it now. They had nothing left to give, as much as I wanted to push on - 4:40min/km was all they were willing to give. I kept it going. No bushes, no toilets. No stopping now. I wanted to try to have a final push but I was basically stuck in fourth gear and that was it. That purple carpet was a sight for sore eyes as I went in and over it.

3:04:28

That is just shy of a five-minute PB, which I got in Manchester with a 3:09:22. For context in terms of Dublin, in 2019 I was a 4:09:35. So in terms of a Dublin PB - over an hour.

Post-Race

A stop at the barrier shortly after and catch my breathe. F* that was tough. Tougher than Manchester. Looked like a volunteer or a medic had a quick glance as I came across and half expected them to come to me. But luckily, I didn't look that bad. Here's the kicker, when I stopped - the need to pee was gone. Like gone (and I didn't use the toiler until I got home two hours later). My theory afterwards, I wonder if that groin niggle stopped been an issue on the right side and just went centrally, causing a lot of pressure around that central area. I'm no physio, but it's my theory on it. It makes sense - like any good uneducated theory!)

After a quick minute, I hobbled towards the medal chute, having a chat with a lad from Westmeath who I had a brief chat with in the 30-something kilometers. Big weighty medal. By jaysus did I earn that. Hobbled some more and got my t-shirt, with my pre-planned quip of 'I'll take a medium, although I could probably fit in a small now - I'll need an extra-large later'. More hobbling towards the bag drop - who put this long drag here? Felt like a mountain. I'm hobbling, but at least I'm not needing to be on the ground, throwing up like others. I get to my bag - why did I pack so much stuff in the bag. It's going to weight a tonne!

I hobble (my new favourite word, it seems) to some of those Georgian steps about half-way up. The advantage of been done quite quickly, is that there is plenty of space. I ring my dad, and regal the highs and the lows. I slowly, somehow get change, eat some sugar food and then get the bag on my back. At this point, it feels like my right upper arm, of all places, is locked. What the actual....? I'm hobbling a little quicker now towards the exit. A bit of a lonely journey back to the family home now. Again, the fact I'm finished quickly works out that it wasn't as packed as it would have been when I was 4+ hour runner. Some advantages. I'd say from the moment I crossed the line, to the moment I got back to the card - an hour. Felt shorter. Got in the car and one final challenge - get out of Dublin in mid-day traffic. That in itself took a tad longer thanks to a delay (for whatever reason) on the Chapelozid bypass - once past that, I flew back down to the family home to be greeted by wife, kids and family.

The Race De-Brief

So, it's done. Dublin is done. I've had over the past 24 hours to think about things and do a bit of a de-brief on things.

The dream goal remains a dream of a sub-3. It was very much on, but that stretch along Clonskeagh into Roebuck ultimately was my undoing. I wouldn't mind but I felt I was been measured on it, but I obviously allowed it to take more out of me and I felt that pain the rest of the way in. Is there a nagging annoyance for not putting what was a great training block and getting just rewards? You bet. I'm not going to make excuses, or lay blame at certain area - but I do have to look at what was different to Manchester and compare and contrast. In Manchester, while my average pace was slower for a 3:09, I was ruthlessly consistent throughout. I could push on at the end. That said, temp was a little cooler, the course flatter and everything just went right on that day.

Did other factors influence how Dublin ultimately went? Probably. The arrival of my second born six weeks ago has had an obvious impact on my sleep pattern. Saturday was the first night in six weeks I had an unbroken proper sleep. But there isn't much I could do to change that. I can't control that. I'd be lying if I said the second child's inability to sleep through in the middle of the night hasn't had some added stress on things at home either while trying to put in a high mileage training plan. My wife, while supportive of my running, did quip on more than one occasion about 'things been different after the marathon', so there was a strain there. I'd like to think it didn't affect my running, but it was there. I also decided to swap gels, changing from the SiS I ran in Manchester to Maurten (which I used for the Virtual Dublin in 2020). Did this play a factor? Don't know. But given that I felt good throughout Manchester and to the finish and less so in Dublin, despite taking on more to get more carbs in, I do think it was an unnecessary change to things and in hindsight, maybe I should have just stuck with what I know.

The most obvious culprit to look at is the groin niggle that never truly healed up. Hindsight been a wonderful thing - should I have rested it up - but even having the three days off prior to the marathon and reduced workload in the recent weeks didn't allow it to truly heal. Coach has said take 10-14 days off and see where we are at. Resting up, see, I've been looking at the graphs for my running on smashrun - and to be honest, I do only have myself to blame for probably where this groin issue originated from. Up until race week, the longest break I took from running was a day. (Admittedly, should have been some two-day breaks on the plan but I had to move things around). I didn't spend a proper time recovering after Manchester and was back out for very easy jogs just days after the race. Heck, I ran a 10K PB within 12 days of the race. Looking back, that was just stupid of me and I do wonder if my injury issues with the groin stem back to April. I go one step further, again looking at smashrun for it's streaks for rest days and in 2021, my longest break was 3 days. 2020 - 9 Days, and that was only because I picked up an minor injury that I had to do an online consult with a physio cause of COVID - otherwise it would have been shorter. 2019 - 6 Days; 2018 - 6 Days. You have to go all the way back to 2017 where I took more than 10 days off running - and that was before I was doing marathons and I was still balancing work and part-time college. I haven't given myself a proper break and was this groin injury just a symptom of been a stubborn idiot and continually pushing myself along?

So, I have 10-14 days where I'm not going to run. That doesn't mean I won't be active. I'll keep my short daily lunch walks in and I've invested in some gear for cross-training (exercise bike and a rowing machine), for both myself and the missus as I know she will want to get back towards running once fully recovered after the pregnancy and its tough to get out on evenings such as what is out there. At least this will allow me to change things up a little and take the load off the feet. Given how the little one is sleeping (or to say, not) at the moment, it's unlikely I'll get back to my S&C guy for some time given that it's a 90-minute round trip, on top of an hour session - the wife would probably divorce me!. So I figure the money I would have spent on him will go into this equipment.

The Future

So, what's next. After the rest and recovery, the focus will likely be on shorter distance stuff. Which I think I'll enjoy given the darker evenings and that it's harder to find good places to do these sessions. Will I do another marathon. Yes. Will it be next year? Not totally decided yet. I think the fact that I'm disappointed I didn't get what I ultimately wanted does show me I have a desire and a drive to get it. I'd of been more worried if I just chalked it off and said 'yep, got close and that's it'. The break in 2021 from doing any marathon, if anything, gave me the drive to do the two I did this year at the level I did them at.

If there is to be one, it's likely to be just one. I think juggling two young kids, trying to find a sense of purpose in my career against the financial pressures of life and ensuring there is a happy home - throwing what is a pretty extensive marathon block into it is tough enough, without trying to do two. I was very much gung-ho post-Manchester of doing another Spring one, but even I felt that might be a tough ask at the height of training for Dublin. It's a two-way conversation to have with the wife. Admittedly, there is the obscenely long shot of a Berlin marathon slot, but much like the London one - it was entered on a whim and a prayer really. I've the luxury of waiting to see what comes out with before making a call.

As you might of gathered from that line of thinking, I'm not (currently) planning to take up the option to do Dublin. Yeah, the price ticking up isn't nice - but it is to be expected as the cost of everything is going up though. This was my third Dublin. This is the first Dublin that I feel happy with my finish. It wasn't perfect, but I also didn't stop during it. Is there an element of some unfinished business? A little bit, yeah. But I also feel that I've done it now and maybe it's time for something different - an excuse to have a weekend away (with or without the family), akin to Manchester. A change of scenery did the world of good in Manchester, for example. Or maybe I'll do what I did in 2021 - not do a marathon and just focus on the shorter stuff. I'm not going to tie myself down to a decision just yet. It needs to be the right one, not a quick one. One made for the right reasons, not emotion.

So with that, Irish Dublin Marathon - I have conquered most of the demons associated with you. I have a shiny new PB and a lot of learning to take from you.

On to the next challenge!

• Advertisement

So it’s been a month since I last posted, as I reviewed and assessed the Dublin effort. Funny thing is, if you had told me then Dublin would be my last run in the past four weeks, I’d of said you would be joking!

Initial plan as discussed with the coach was to take one to two weeks off. A proper break and it was needed. What I noticed after the first week was this groin/abductor issue that had plagued me in the weeks leading to Dublin wasn’t improving. I was literally about to put myself down for a Christmas 5K when I said ‘maybe I’ll touch base with the physio’. Saw him, wha, about ten days after Dublin and boy jaysus did he set off things when assessing the tender areas. Suffice to say, any plans f running anytime soon went out the window.

So for the past month, I’ve been in rehab mode. Blessing in disguise I picked up the spin bike and rower, as it’s allowed me to stay active. I’ve also been hit my a pretty nasty chest infection (the joys of my work environment) so even if I was fit to run, I would have gotten bugger all in. I’d argue I’m still getting over that.

As for this injury (can call it that now, as opposed to lying to myself and calling it a niggle/discomfort), is of my own doing really. I didn’t rest and recover properly after Manchester. I naively thought a few easy runs would get me over it. It was then hardly helped by that 10K race where I set a big PB on a tough course at Emo not even two weeks after Manchester. I think that’s where the alarm should have gone off and I do recall some discomfort after it. But after that I was into one target after another leading to Dublin. What also has played a part is the overal volume. Smashrun has been useful with the graphs and such to show the stats. Since I started running after Christmas ‘14, I’ve ran just shy of 12,000K. However, just over 5,000K of that has been the past two years - just short of half my overall mileage ever. Over 3,000K of that is this year. So a quarter of my overall mileage has been this year. So while I think the lack of recovery post-Manchester played a significant role, I’ve also seriously upped my game in the past two years - and no doubt this has also had an affect.

So I’ve been off for the month. Which has felt okay. I’m at peace with it because I need this rest to recover. I was tempted to get out this week and said ‘no, wait for the green light’. A check in is due with the physio now on Monday to see where we stand and what progression exercises are need. I’ll see if I get any kind of timeframe for getting out on the road. For the most part I’ve avoided going mad signing up for races. Common sense saw me take up the Dublin option (after all the grandstanding on the last few paragraphs about looking elsewhere) and I just signed up for Bohermeen half as my early year target race (providing of course I have myself back in the right frame for it).

The good news is, I’ve got lots of new shiny shoes for when I’m back! ‘Cause I might as well spend money on the, than races, it seems!

An update, and perhaps the final chapter for the Early Years Edu-racer given everything going on (I'll touch on that later). Reading back and seeing it was late November since I last posted and the real since of optimism I had at that point that I would be back running by the end of the year.

Clearly didn't work out like that!

So, to give a re-cap on the last few months. Rehab continued grand into December. Coming up to Christmas, my ego got the better of me. I looked at the length of time out and decided I'd have a sneaky 5K, thinking everything would be okay and I'd be able to accelerate the rehab program. Boy, was I wrong. Knew about half way around things were still pretty far away. Suffice to say, didn't tell the physio what I did. But I have to say, it led to some pretty down-and-out thoughts of mine. When I first spoke to the physio, he outlined it could be up to three months before I was back running. I accepted that, but I didn't actually believe that would be the case. Well, turns out that it was the case and I gave my groin abductors and proper bloody going over. Rehab continued into the new year and it was only heading into the end of January where I got the go-ahead to begin the run/walk programme. Should a little common sense on my part and actually pushed that one week (learning my lesson from before, maybe) and after two weeks of that - I was back into consistent running - steadily increasing the time on my feet over three weeks.

So I basically ended the formal rehab programme about... two weeks ago now? Things are going... okay, grand. As well as can be expected. The groin and pelvis are still pretty tender in the morning after post-run, and I'm maintaining two days of maintenance rehab on things. Mileage is increasingly steady and this week I got a half a session of speedwork in. The good news, while my fitness took a considerable blow, it's coming back. Even over the past five weeks I can feel things are better and the slow run time is feeling more comfortable. Long runs feel like I've done double the distance, by the end of them. So a steady increase is going on there to build up - up to about 17.5K on Thursday which was nice.

Short term aim is to keep plugging away. Bohermeen, which I had signed up for, went off the table. Found a home of my number to take any temptation of going up there (where while I would say 'sure, it could be a long run' and it would have turned into a race for me. Going to just assess things as I rebuild fitness and strength in the groin area until I'm running tender feeling free at this point. Had a positive chat with the coach today for the first time in ages to just put out a rough framework and I've decided I'm going to give the 5K in Portloaise a crack tomorrow to see where I am at.

Anyway, in other big news - I'm changing jobs. Actually, I'm changing careers altogether. Hence the other reason for maybe closing off this blog and starting again. I am now leaving the early years sector for something completely different. Exciting times, and while there is some extra travel involved now and an immediate step-back in the wages I'm on, there is greater scope to move forward; work less hours overall and once comfortable, and opportunity to work from home. So a lot of positive for the family. And apparently, the place has showers (can I say that was a massive plus? Imagine avoiding the early morning rush-hour by getting to work absurdly early, getting my run and not having to do it at home)!

So in many ways, between returning from injury and the new career start, it really is a fresh chapter for me in 2023. Hopefully a case that both paths are positive as we go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Glad to hear the injury is healing and best of luck with the new role.

When you mention a run / walk plan was it a specific one that you used or just off feel?

Coming (hopefully, had a very positive session with PT today) back after 5 mths myself and not sure how to approach it.

I followed what the physio prescribed. So it ended up been about two weeks of run/walk before progressing into time on feet runs. Basically, it looked like this:

Week One:

Session 1: 5 minute run/1 minute walk (20mins)

Session 2: 5 minute run/1 minute walk (20mins)

Session 3: 5 minute run/1 minute walk (30 mins)

Week 2:

Session 1: 10 minute run/1 minute walk (20mins)

Session 2: 10 minute run/1 minute walk (20mins)

Session 3: 15 minute run/1 minute walk (45 mins)

The next three weeks them built the consistent run sessions from 30 to 40, finally 50 minutes (although I’d be the first to admit I started to extend out the third run on each of them based off how I was feeling!). Big key was to be slow and run the pace by feel. I was super conscious of the pace and to keep far away from my pre-injury easy pace. I actually settled for keeping more of an eye on my heart rate to judge it as that helped keep me in check for those first weeks back.

Advertisement