Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone make a DIY hot composter?

Options
  • 02-02-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Toying with the idea of making my own hot composter. My current plastic Dalek is good but a bit slow, and the likes of a Hotbin look insanely expensive for what it is. Adding external insulation to the Dalek is messy, so looking to start from scratch with:

Some kind of durable internal layer next to the compost (wood? plastic?)
    A semi-decent looking external surface (maybe wood slats)
    Insulation in the cavity
    Top hatch and door
    Air vent?

Would prefer an open base to let the worms in and compost goo out.

Anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Planning on making a rotating one with blue plastic drums

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Toying with the idea of making my own hot composter.

Anyone done this before?

I didn't think that worms would survive in a hot composter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

blackbox wrote: »
    I didn't think that worms would survive in a hot composter.

You might be right, but I'd still like to give them access. They can burrow through any bits that have cooled down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Toying with the idea of making my own hot composter. My current plastic Dalek is good but a bit slow, and the likes of a Hotbin look insanely expensive for what it is. Adding external insulation to the Dalek is messy, so looking to start from scratch with:

Some kind of durable internal layer next to the compost (wood? plastic?)
    A semi-decent looking external surface (maybe wood slats)
    Insulation in the cavity
    Top hatch and door
    Air vent?

Anyone done this before?

I was looking into this myself too. Have you got any further. I bought a hot composter last year and they are pretty good but pricey.

It is amazing how quickly the food scraps diminish in size

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

Maybe an old chest freezer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 robebocc

That’s a good idea. Wish I had thought of it before I threw one out recently. It could easily be adapted.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

I have a standard plastic dalek one, and I did wonder if you could just add an immersion lagging jacket to one to increase/insulate the heat?

randomguy wrote: »
    I have a standard plastic dalek one, and I did wonder if you could just add an immersion lagging jacket to one to increase/insulate the heat?

Was thinking about that, but I don't think lagging jackets are waterproof. It would get sodden in the rain and loose efficiency. Might work though if I can stick a plastic rain cover over it.

The Dalek might end up with better weatherproofing than the gardener!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

randomguy wrote: »

Coffee grounds will heat it up. If you speak to someone in a local petrol station they should be happy to give you them.

I'm giving this stuff a go:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/ybs-thermawrap-general-purpose-insulation-10-x-1-05m/9691p

It's flexible enough to wrap around the bin, is waterproof and looks reasonably insulating. Have made a basic 2-part cover (a fixed bit around the walls, and a removable cap piece), but will probably tweak it over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 gerardmshort

GO TO YOU TUBE
    NIALLS GARDEN HE SHOWS HOW TO MAKE ONE

Two and a bit years on, the insulation still seems to be doing the trick. The bin looks even more Dalek-like because of the silver insulation, but the unscientific feedback is that composting is quicker.

Advertisement