Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Máistir Gairmiúil San Oideachas Nuig

• 02-02-2021 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a four year student studying Irish and French in NUIG. I'm considering doing the Máistir gairmiúil san oideachas course (PME through Irish) as I am interested in using my Irish and working in a gaelcholáiste.
    I'm wondering does anyone have any information on the course and what its like?
    I would mainly look for jobs in Galway, Clare Limerick, Mayo, Tipperary, and parts of Cork. Would I have a chance of getting 22 hours a week teaching Irish and French in a gaelcholáiste? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Yes, Teachers of French in particular are in high demand at the moment. Irish and French is an excellent combination.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Definitely with French. You'll find with Irish that a lot of teachers who are willing to teach in Gaelcholáistí have Irish as a subject. History and Irish, Geography and Irish etc. But no harm to have it, Irish is always an in demand subject. Very easy to get a job in Dublin. I've friends who've been trying to go home to Kerry for years but it's very hard to get a job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

dory wrote: »
    Definitely with French. You'll find with Irish that a lot of teachers who are willing to teach in Gaelcholáistí have Irish as a subject. History and Irish, Geography and Irish etc. But no harm to have it, Irish is always an in demand subject. Very easy to get a job in Dublin. I've friends who've been trying to go home to Kerry for years but it's very hard to get a job there.
    Would you say I have a good chance of getting the full 22 hours in a gaelcholáiste or gaeltacht school in the other counties such as Galway, Limerick and Clare?

Possibly. Hard to know really. Most people start part time and work their way up. Took me 6 years! Average in my school at the time was 8 years so I was one of the lucky ones. Depends on other aspects as well , your results, your references, your other skills, how you interview.No one can say for sure if you'll get a job. Have you looked in to how many Gaelcholáistí are in those counties and if they're big schools?

dory wrote: »
    Possibly. Hard to know really. Most people start part time and work their way up. Took me 6 years! Average in my school at the time was 8 years so I was one of the lucky ones. Depends on other aspects as well , your results, your references, your other skills, how you interview.No one can say for sure if you'll get a job. Have you looked in to how many Gaelcholáistí are in those counties and if they're big schools?

I've got about 14 Gaelcholáistí (some are aonads). Some are quite big. Coláiste na coirbhe has about 700 and french is compulsory for leaving cert. Gaelcholáiste luimnigh has 615 and french is compulsory for jc. Laurel Hill has 410 and French is compulsory for leaving cert. Colaiste an Eachreidh has 300 students and french is compulsory for jc. I'm not sure about the size of the other schools. The student numbers are growing a lot in all these schools as well.

• Advertisement

You've a very good chance so. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭French Toast

You'll be sorted with Irish and French. Might take a while to get your foot in the door of a Gaelcholáiste as they're not as plentiful.

In the future, it would be worth your time getting your foot in the door of the ETBs.

You'll be sorted with Irish and French. Might take a while to get your foot in the door of a Gaelcholáiste as they're not as plentiful.

In the future, it would be worth your time getting your foot in the door of the ETBs.

Why ETB's?

Mandf wrote: »
    Why ETB's?

If you get your CID with an ETB school, you can move among schools in that ETB fairly easily.

For example: if you get a job in one of the 18 schools the LCETB manages, it would likely be only a matter of time before you got in to either of the Gaelcholáiste they have, if that's the direction you wanted to go in.

I'm a teacher in an ETB school and I find it handy.

If you get your CID with an ETB school, you can move among schools in that ETB fairly easily.

For example: if you get a job in one of the 18 schools the LCETB manages, it would likely be only a matter of time before you got in to either of the Gaelcholáiste they have, if that's the direction you wanted to go in.

I'm a teacher in an ETB school and I find it handy.
    If I moved from one school in the ETB in which I was permanent would I lose permanency if I went to a gaelcholáiste within the ETB.

• Advertisement

Mandf wrote: »
    If I moved from one school in the ETB in which I was permanent would I lose permanency if I went to a gaelcholáiste within the ETB.

Good question, I don't honestly know!

Someone else might be able to answer that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mandf wrote:

You work for the ETB, not the school. No reason why you would lose your position.

However, the same situation could see a position appear to be available in an ETB-run Gaelcholáiste, only for someone (suitably qualified of course) to transfer in from another school in the ETB.

Advertisement