Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shark teeth

Options
  • 02-02-2021 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of this?

My 4 year old was complaining that it hurt to bite her food. I had a look in her mouth and her 2 adult teeth, front bottom, are coming up behind her baby teeth. The baby teeth have only a small bit of movement, they don't look like they are anyway close to falling out. I have a dentist appointment but it is not for 2 weeks. What could I expect to happen? Will they remove the 2 baby teeth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I have no idea, but I'd put this in the Dental Forum, you might get more detailed replies.

Poor mite though, she's very young for adult teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thanks, will try there.

She had her baby teeth after only a few months, so might be the reason for the adult teeth coming so soon. I would like to tell her how it's going to be, don't want to say that they will just look in her mouth, and then have them take them out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My boy had this, though he was older. The baby teeth do eventually fall out after a month or so, but if they're hurting her the dentist might suggest taking them out. Maybe ring the dentist in advance of the appointment to get the verdict?

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Lots of kids have the adult teeth come up behind the baby teeth. The baby teeth then fall out. It probably 'hurts' her because the baby teeth are loose and the sensation is strange. The dentist is unlikely to remove the baby teeth. They will fall out in time.

My daughter noticed the adult teeth behind her teeth one day. Within an hour the baby tooth had fallen out!

I was just at the dentist with my 6 yo for this reason. Dentist explained it's due to a strong root and hopefully the front baby teeth should fall out in the next few months. There is absolutely no movement at the minute. If in six months they havnt moved, the dentist will need to assist them, potentially through an extraction. That's worst case. Dentist said to try and wriggle them to help the process along. In our case my son has no pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

My son has this. Dentist removed both of his front teeth and the adult moved into place ... all be it at an angle. We were told to leave it for now but will most likely need a brace when he is a little older.

Advertisement