Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Regulation

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Missed this during the week but Bryson referred to the topics of interest such as driver length as flattering:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/bryson-dechambeau-unfazed-by-talk-of-limiting-golf-ball-distance-1.4475126

“There’s no issues. It’s funny, I’m sure there’s a lot of excitement about me having a potentially controversial thought on it but I don’t. I think it’s a really cool thought process. It’s a little flattering in a sense, because I did talk about that 48-inch driver for so long. It just didn’t work for me the way I wanted it to.

I’m still playing the 45-and-a-half-inch driver and it’s suiting me perfectly well. I’m not going to the 48.”
    Some thread - :D - didn't get to read much.

I hope they can alter the game / ball / equipment . That it only has an impact on the top end pro and higher speed players. You'd hope (considering) energy and drag are a squared relationship with velocity - that this could be done simply with ball . Then this ball could be used by all still.

As TM release the new TP5 with the following tag line
    1. TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x golf balls use an all-new Tour Flight Dimple Pattern for 2021, taking aerodynamics and carry distance to a new level for golfers at every level
      a revolutionary new dimple design that reduces drag and promotes distance

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-and-events/equipment-news/2021/february/taylormade-tp5-and-tp5x-golf-balls-2021/

I'm sure that there is little difference but I'll be curious of reviews nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

My only thoughts on distance are that the size and tech behind driver heads means that bad hits still go pretty much the same distance as good hits. When the pros step up to hit a drive (taking wind, slope, altitude&air density out of the equation) there's almost no variance in carry distance so the guy that carries it 300, when there's no wind, and the row of bunkers ends at 295 - there's no fear of them ever hitting that. The lads who carries it 290 doesn't have an option of carrying that as good or bad their carry range is 288-292.

I'd back a (phased introduction) of a reduction of club head size for pro and top amateur.

My thoughts are that this would place a premium on strike. It keeps an advantage with the guys who swing fast and are accurate. Side effect is that it also gives an improved option of driver of the deck for the short but accurate guys who might take out a 3 wood and also stick an extra lob wedge or hybrid in their bag.

Average distances should reduce slightly, max distances will stay the same (or possibly even increase a tiny bit due to lower air resistance of clubhead) However there will be a bigger difference between a well struck drive and something that missed the middle of the face.

Note: I don't recognise this whole distance thing as the same size of massive problem that anyone who's listened to any commentator in the world thinks it is. However I think a reduction in average distances and injection of a bit more excitement and wouldn't hurt things. I don't like a fixed (x)% reduction that a ball change would bring about to everyone through all of the clubs and even putter face.

Advertisement