Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ditch the pint?

Options
  • 03-02-2021 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

It just crossed my mind, and don't crucify me here, that perhaps with the pubs shut this might be a very good time to make the switch of our drinks measures from imperial to metric, and more closely align ourselves with our EU brethren.

It would mean a decrease in the standard serving size from 568ml (1 pint) to 500ml.

There is a positive correlation between reduction of serving size and the reduction in alcohol consumption and, ergo, improvement in health.
    https://europepmc.org/article/med/29756262

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

It just crossed my mind, and don't crucify me here, that perhaps with the pubs shut this might be a very good time to make the switch of our drinks measures from imperial to metric, and more closely align ourselves with our EU brethren.

It would mean a decrease in the standard serving size from 568ml (1 pint) to 500ml.

There is a positive correlation between reduction of serving size and the reduction in alcohol consumption and, ergo, improvement in health.
    Sounds like a big expense to an already crippled industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Sounds like a big expense to an already crippled industry?

In Qatar they serve 500ml in a pint glass. Every time I got a beer there, I felt cheated. I even went back a few times to ask for it to be filled to the top before I realised the reason. At 14 quid a beer, I felt the least they could do was fill it up.

Would love to see them try to serve 500ml in a pint glass here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

If it means that more people are drinking less alcohol then I'm in agreement. Alcohol abuse in this country has a massive effect on families etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Tec Diver wrote: »
    If it means that more people are drinking less alcohol then I'm in agreement. Alcohol abuse in this country has a massive effect on families etc.
    Deal with the abuser then!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Na. The metric system is overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tec Diver wrote:

To be honest, I'd put the money into our mental health and support services for such things, as I suspect, changing glass sizes, won't make the blindest bit of difference here

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Heresy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Not to be overly dramatic, but I would engage in domestic terrorism if this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And change "1/4 pound cheese" to "100 gram cheese"?

No, just no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tec Diver wrote: »

In much of Australia they drink a ridiculous measure called a schooner (three quarters of a pint) and they are still the worst I've ever seen for alcohol-induced violence. Fights are common place over there, to a much more noticeable extent to here. I've even noticed bouncers getting in on the act!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No because there is no tangible positive from going from a pint to a litre.

Lots of negatives

How could you pull the "prefect pint"??

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Why?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread moved from the Coronavirus Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Just close the pubs permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Better off ditching it all altogether, thought I loved it but after slowly getting fed up with the weekly hangover etc, realise that as one gets older the Beamish was a killer, used go out once a week then once a month then at Xmas time, wasn't for me used have a hangover after 4/5 pints, social side I missed terribly for a while.
    My own personal view point as I can see the positives of alcohol but the negatives far outweigh them.
    Worked as a doorman for nearly 30 years so saw both sides, and worked and travelled all over the world and can say hand on heart that us Irish have a vv bad relationship with the booze, daughter in oz cringes at the weekly fighting, hassle and general mayhem caused by young Irish in Perth

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Not to be overly dramatic, but I would engage in domestic terrorism if this happened.

You probably said that, along with thousands of others, when they were talking about introducing a smoking ban. Yet Ireland was the first and took it amazingly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if they did change from a pint to 500ml you can guarantee that the publicans wouldn't change the price charged

gctest50 wrote: »

Yet the Irish and brits are the only gangs that cause mayhem on the streets weekly after booze

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just close the pubs permanently.

why?

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    In much of Australia they drink a ridiculous measure called a schooner (three quarters of a pint) and they are still the worst I've ever seen for alcohol-induced violence. Fights are common place over there, to a much more noticeable extent to here. I've even noticed bouncers getting in on the act!

Amazing that it's the young Irish getting the bad rap in Perth as the stand out messers and troublemakers then?

Chivito550 wrote: »

That's in the breeding IMO... Nothing to do with drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

biko wrote: »
    And change "1/4 pound cheese" to "100 gram cheese"?

No, just no.

Vincent:
    And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

Jules:
    They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?

Vincent:
    No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the f*** a Quarter Pounder is.

Jules:
    Then what do they call it?

Vincent:
    They call it a Royale with cheese.

Jules:
    A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?

Vincent:
    Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.

Jules:
    Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?

Vincent:
    I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yet the Irish and brits are the only gangs that cause mayhem on the streets weekly after booze
    Seems unnecessary. Nobody gains anything. You get to say, "we do metric pints" now, but what's the point in that?

The argument that it reduces alcohol intake and would have any knock-on effect on abuse is nonsense. Alcohol abusers don't go out for two pints. They drink until they can't fit in any more.

Cans have been 500ml for decades, and it hasn't affected alcohol abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They did have half litres here in Ireland back in the 1980's.
    They brought them in when the price of the pint went over 1 punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes. More generic sameness, standardisation and uniformity, thats what we need.

From my cold dead pickled hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Actually think this is a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Spend a bit of time in Germany with Mass glass...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%9F

... And when you come back a pint feels like a half glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well if you think about it...at what other time does anyone consume a full pint of any liquid..and 5 or 6 in the space of a few hours?

Pint of tea/coffee/Mint tea anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Why would we need to ditch the pint?
    The size of the glass is not the problem. Even if you got rid of it then people would just drink more bottles. If people want to get stupid drunk they will do it.

Advertisement