Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ditch the pint?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

beauf wrote: »
    Spend a bit of time in Germany with Mass glass...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%9F

... And when you come back a pint feels like a half glass.
    Ten lads on our first German beer festival, barely 3 hours off the plane and we stupidly started drinking these like pints.

It wasn't long until we were only fit for bed. Paced ourselves the rest of the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

"Half litres with the lads" doesn't have the same ring to it so it's a no from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

The Irish spirit measure is ​1⁄4 gill(35ml)

Maybe it's time to change it to 100ml.

Whilst a packet of manhatten salted peanuts is 50g which is fine, the packet of scampi fries is 27g and this is an unacceptably irregular number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I quite like the imperial system. It has tradition and character, unlike metric which feels so clinical.

I do a lot of DIY at home, and naturally measuring stuff has to be done. Practically always measure in metric, but the other day it was handier to use the old fashioned inches...It made me feel like a real man.

“Can I have 500mls of Guinness and 2 500mls of Heineken”. Never gonna work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

209959.jpg?b64lines=IFRoZSBtZXRyaWMgc3lzdGVtIGlzIHRoZQogdG9vbCBvZiB0aGUgZGV2aWwh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Augeo wrote: »
    That's in the breeding IMO... Nothing to do with drink.

I fully support this theory and indeed have previously undertaken research into the hypothesis that people from locales that start and end with "A"

Are endemically thick!

Athlacca sparked this theory, it quickly expanded to cover Australia, Austria, Argentina, and then grew to Asia, America and Africa before the hypothesis collapsed.

I may undertake further work to see if it can be reconciled to a function of Population Vs Area Vs Educational spend.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

KungPao wrote: »
    I quite like the imperial system. It has tradition and character, unlike metric which feels so clinical.

I do a lot of DIY at home, and naturally measuring stuff has to be done. Practically always measure in metric, but the other day it was handier to use the old fashioned inches...It made me feel like a real man.

“Can I have 500mls of Guinness and 2 500mls of Heineken”. Never gonna work.

It drives me mental. I'm building a project, and despite dealing with everything in metric, we have so many people answering in imperial, or even worse, mix and matching the two mid-conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

seamus wrote: »
    Seems unnecessary. Nobody gains anything. You get to say, "we do metric pints" now, but what's the point in that?

The argument that it reduces alcohol intake and would have any knock-on effect on abuse is nonsense. Alcohol abusers don't go out for two pints. They drink until they can't fit in any more.

Cans have been 500ml for decades, and it hasn't affected alcohol abuse.

Which has always made it a disappointment emptying them into pint glasses at home. If anything lets convert the 500ml cans to pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Augeo wrote: »
    That's in the breeding IMO... Nothing to do with drink.

Convict stock. Wonder where they came from ....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sorcha Dhuisigh _She_Her_

I really think this would be a good idea. Our reliance on Imperial measurements is a post colonial hangover (pardon the pun).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Convict stock. Wonder where they came from ....

True, but they were the "bad" convicts in that were caught, convicted and transported ;)

You don't breed thoroughbreds from lame stock :P

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Deal with the abuser then!

Deal with the abuser? Are you mad? That's a bit confrontational for us little 'ol Irish people. Easier to just take it away from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

How about we reduce the size of a standard pint glass to a 500ml glass? It'll look the same, just a tiny bit smaller. And going with the Pulp Fiction theme, we could then just call the new glass a Royale?

"What'll you have?"
    "A Heineken Royale and two Royale's of Guinness, please"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tom O Neil wrote: »
    Ditch the pint? Sure why not become vegan and wear your wife's panties while you're at it?

Can't see that working outside of Drogheda.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

It would mean a decrease in the standard serving size from 568ml (1 pint) to 500ml.
    https://europepmc.org/article/med/29756262

But the prices of a "pint" will not go down to reflect this, they will more than likely go up to cover the cost of replacement glasses.
    Keep it the way it is, its expensive enough and id like to get as much as i can for my €

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Tom O Neil wrote: »
    Ditch the pint? Sure why not become vegan and wear your wife's panties while you're at it?

Nothing wrong with being vegan, or wearing pretty lace panties if you are so inclined.

But the pint is sacred! And the premise that we will drink less in 500ml portions is preposterous. Surely, if you are used to have 3 pints at a time, you won't be satisfied with 3x500ml, you will have to get another sub-par measure of beer, making you drink more, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,376 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ShyMets wrote: »
    Na. The metric system is overrated

The metric system isn’t overrated. It’s the system that tells the world that you’re willing to speak a common language in measurement.

But I can’t see much point changing making the unit of drink in the domestic pub. They could change it to the “568ml glass of beer - formerly known as a pint” but I wouldn’t use it and a way to get pepper to drink less. The metric system and alcohol consumption are totally separate issues.

I’m a big fan of the metric system but I don’t see the point in this change. We don’t measure anything else in pints anymore so it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

They may take our lives... But they'll never take our pints...

You can flip off if you think we're going metric.

Imagine saying I'm off out for a metric drink....

Going for a pint is a part of the furniture and long may it continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The metric system isn’t overrated. It’s the system that tells the world that you’re willing to speak a common language in measurement.

But I can’t see much point changing making the unit of drink in the domestic pub. They could change it to the “568ml glass of beer - formerly known as a pint” but I wouldn’t use it and a way to get pepper to drink less. The metric system and alcohol consumption are totally separate issues.

I’m a big fan of the metric system but I don’t see the point in this change. We don’t measure anything else in pints anymore so it makes no difference.

Call me old fashioned. Just don't Shirley. But I'll stick with the Imperial system. There is something to cold and calculated about the metric system. And if it means I'm not speaking a common language, I'm ok with that

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Isn't the smaller glasses in hotter countries used simply so you dont end up drinking warm beer half way through your drink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, being able to multiply and divide things very easily is stupid.

Yeah, being able to multiply and divide things very easily is stupid.

To be fair I never said the metric system was stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You know in Germany (And other Places i'm sure), they mark the glass, exactly where the 500ml point is, and this is normally always below the rim of the glass, as they do not charge you for the head!!.........So are you really getting a pint of draft beer in Ireland if you take the head off??

541898.jpg

I remember back in my college days, during rag week the local bar was using plastic "Pint" glasses for beer.
    Something to do with Drunk students and lots of lose glass lying about I think!!

Anyway, turns out they still sold pint bottles of Bulmers, but when pouring this into the plastic glasses, there was quite a bit left in the bottle, when the glass was full......I'm sure they were 500ml glasses, but did the price come down?? not a chance....

I see this a lot at festivals, races and other events also, and always wonder are they really pint size cups??

Call me old fashioned. Just don't Shirley. But I'll stick with the Imperial system. There is something to cold and calculated about the metric system. And if it means I'm not speaking a common language, I'm ok with that

Yeah I’d say old fashioned is a fair description.

Metric systems might seem calculated because it’s designed to be easily calculable. It’s better because it translates all across the world.

In fairness, the only reason to prefer the imperial system is because it’s the one we were brought up with as children. Nobody would suggest a new system like the old imperial system because it’s haphazard and doesn’t translate.

I don’t see much advantage changing the pint in the pub though. It doesn’t relate to anything else so no real advantage in changing it.

Yeah I’d say old fashioned is a fair description.

Metric systems might seem calculated because it’s designed to be easily calculable. It’s better because it translates all across the world.

In fairness, the only reason to prefer the imperial system is because it’s the one we were brought up with as children. Nobody would suggest a new system like the old imperial system because it’s haphazard and doesn’t translate.

I don’t see much advantage changing the pint in the pub though. It doesn’t relate to anything else so no real advantage in changing it.

Some fair points. The metric system is more rational. And in terms of DIY and volume I generally use metric.

But when it comes to weight, height & distance I stick firmly to the Imperial system and I dont think that will ever change

Some fair points. The metric system is more rational. And in terms of DIY and volume I generally use metric.

But when it comes to weight, height & distance I stick firmly to the Imperial system and I dont think that will ever change

Depends on who you’re talk to. Young people today probably don’t know miles or hundredweight or hands or dicklengths or buckets or whatever else is on the old system.

I know it’s only a small thing but when someone talks to me in imperial I always think it says a lot about them and their outlook. The fact that they’re not willing to learn the language that means they can communicate with everyone, says a lot about them and their outlook.

Metric is the language of empiricism and precision. imperial is the language of “ah, shur, you know yourself. it’ll be grand”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Replace the pint with litres.

"Heading out with the lads for a couple of litres" you might say

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Depends on who you’re talk to. Young people today probably don’t know miles or hundredweight or hands or dicklengths or buckets or whatever else is on the old system.

I know it’s only a small thing but when someone talks to me in imperial I always think it says a lot about them and their outlook. The fact that they’re not willing to learn the language that means they can communicate with everyone, says a lot about them and their outlook.

Metric is the language of empiricism and precision. imperial is the language of “ah, shur, you know yourself. it’ll be grand”

surely that is dependent on context? People in a trade or profession are going to use metric for work purposes. Outside that its different. If you ask me my weight or height I will tell you in feet and stones. If you ask me how far away something is I will tell you in miles.

So if someone told you they were 6 foot in height what would that say about them. And would you actually expect them to give you their height in centimeters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,483 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Overrated by 5/16th?

Advertisement