Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ditch the pint?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Decimate the pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Irish and English imperial pipe measurements are slightly different. Which is weird and awkward.

Ireland once had its own unique area measurement - 'tir-cumaile'
    A unit being the area needed to graze three cows (~23 acres)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Depends on who you’re talk to. Young people today probably don’t know miles or hundredweight or hands or dicklengths or buckets or whatever else is on the old system.

I know it’s only a small thing but when someone talks to me in imperial I always think it says a lot about them and their outlook. The fact that they’re not willing to learn the language that means they can communicate with everyone, says a lot about them and their outlook.

Metric is the language of empiricism and precision. imperial is the language of “ah, shur, you know yourself. it’ll be grand”

Not sure what to say here. Your post is just off!!

There is still room in society today for both.

I interchange, and sometimes use a bit of American imperialism..

Using both shows the best grasp of all. It’s far more reaching and covering and inclusive

Relating to volume, I think we all pretty much use metric, as in litres and millilitres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Replace the pint with litres.

"Heading out with the lads for a couple of litres" you might say

Never quite understood this argument. No-one in France ever talks about going out for a litre. Beer is served in glasses of 250ml, ordered as "un demi" and if you're inviting someone to go drinking with you, you keep it simple and just say "will we drink a glass?" I've never known anyone to get upset by an invitation that doesn't specify the size of the glass ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,376 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ShyMets wrote: »
    So if someone told you they were 6 foot in height what would that say about them. And would you actually expect them to give you their height in centimeters

I don't expect them to do anything, but it certainly speaks about their outlook. You called it old fashioned and i agreed.

But body height and weight are things that we don't really translate into other things so they're similar to the pint in the pub. I would answer my height and weight in metric.

Miles, are getting more and more outdated these days. If I wanted to buy timber or curtains or carpets, I'd expect a professional to speak in metric. Maybe they should know their audience and speak to old people in old measurements and normal people in normal measurements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

Yeah change it. And let’s move to driving on the right as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,376 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure what to say here. Your post is just off!!

There is still room in society today for both.

I interchange, and sometimes use a bit of American imperialism..

Using both shows the best grasp of all. It’s far more reaching and covering and inclusive

Relating to volume, I think we all pretty much use metric, as in litres and millilitres

Yeah but we're waiting for the old system to die out. Nobody would suggest teaching young people about hands or hundredweights or gallons or miles. They're becoming irrelevant to everyone except the dwindling number of imperial users. Might as well be encouraging VHS tapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I don't expect them to do anything, but it certainly speaks about their outlook. You called it old fashioned and i agreed.

But body height and weight are things that we don't really translate into other things so they're similar to the pint in the pub. I would answer my height and weight in metric.

Miles, are getting more and more outdated these days. If I wanted to buy timber or curtains or carpets, I'd expect a professional to speak in metric. Maybe they should know their audience and speak to old people in old measurements and normal people in normal measurements.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Looks like in our views we're just Miles apart or is it Kilometers

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yeah but we're waiting for the old system to die out. Nobody would suggest teaching young people about hands or hundredweights or gallons or miles. They're becoming irrelevant to everyone except the dwindling number of imperial users. Might as well be encouraging VHS tapes.

Yes, but the average person uses only a handful of measurements across both systems..

I know I do..

But yes, the younger generation more suited to metric..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The study linked by the OP states 25% reduction (or greater) in drink size. Reducing a pint to 500ml is a reduction of 67mls so just over 10% so the results of the study wouldn't be the same.

In study 1, a 25% reduction in alcohol serving size led to a 20.7-22.3% reduction in alcohol consumption. In study 2, a 28.6-33.3% reduction in alcohol serving size led to a 32.4-39.6% reduction in alcohol consumption. Modelling results indicated that decreasing the serving size of on-trade alcoholic beverages by 25% could reduce the number of alcohol-related hospital admissions and deaths per year in the United Kingdom by 4.4-10.5% and 5.6-13.2%, respectively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'd prefer if they increased the size of pints but keep the price the same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Wouldn't be the same, I'm going for a half litre, though a quick half is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

if they did change from a pint to 500ml you can guarantee that the publicans wouldn't change the price charged

Utter rubbish, the price would have to go up, to cover the washing of all the extra glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It just crossed my mind, and don't crucify me here, that perhaps with the pubs shut this might be a very good time to make the switch of our drinks measures from imperial to metric, and more closely align ourselves with our EU brethren.

It would mean a decrease in the standard serving size from 568ml (1 pint) to 500ml.

There is a positive correlation between reduction of serving size and the reduction in alcohol consumption and, ergo, improvement in health.
    https://europepmc.org/article/med/29756262

I was in a venue a time ago. They had narrow glasses, tried to pass them off as pints. Certainly charged as pints. I never went back.
    We've enough shrinking of consumables as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Deal with the abuser then!

Oh I wish I could!!!!! the goodie two shoes saying, or its the drink is the demon not the person. Drink is an inanimate organic chemical. I wish I could give a slap to every junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Maybe a bigger glass make it a litre. Less washing up and having to run up to the bar so often. Sure the first is down nearly as fast as it settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mav11 wrote: »
    Utter rubbish, the price would have to go up, to cover the washing of all the extra glasses.

an admirable display of cynicism that i agree with. I was thinking after I posted that they would put up the price to cover the cost of all the new glasses they would have to buy.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Looks like in our views we're just Miles apart or is it Kilometers

Does it matter what yardstick you're using? Same distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

saabsaab wrote: »
    Does it matter what yardstick you're using? Same distance.

Not necessarily.
    It depends on how close to the speed of light each observer is relative to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tom O Neil wrote: »
    Citation needed.

Well if you're a woman, you've probably worn lace panties at some point.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Irish and English imperial pipe measurements are slightly different. Which is weird and awkward.

Ireland once had its own unique area measurement - 'tir-cumaile'
    A unit being the area needed to graze three cows (~23 acres)

As are UK - Irish miles

ForestFire wrote: »
    You know in Germany (And other Places i'm sure), they mark the glass, exactly where the 500ml point is, and this is normally always below the rim of the glass, as they do not charge you for the head!!.........So are you really getting a pint of draft beer in Ireland if you take the head off??

541898.jpg

I remember back in my college days, during rag week the local bar was using plastic "Pint" glasses for beer.
    Something to do with Drunk students and lots of lose glass lying about I think!!

Anyway, turns out they still sold pint bottles of Bulmers, but when pouring this into the plastic glasses, there was quite a bit left in the bottle, when the glass was full......I'm sure they were 500ml glasses, but did the price come down?? not a chance....

I see this a lot at festivals, races and other events also, and always wonder are they really pint size cups??

Gouging

ForestFire wrote: »
    You know in Germany (And other Places i'm sure), they mark the glass, exactly where the 500ml point is, and this is normally always below the rim of the glass, as they do not charge you for the head!!.........So are you really getting a pint of draft beer in Ireland if you take the head off??

541898.jpg

I remember back in my college days, during rag week the local bar was using plastic "Pint" glasses for beer.
    Something to do with Drunk students and lots of lose glass lying about I think!!

Anyway, turns out they still sold pint bottles of Bulmers, but when pouring this into the plastic glasses, there was quite a bit left in the bottle, when the glass was full......I'm sure they were 500ml glasses, but did the price come down?? not a chance....

I see this a lot at festivals, races and other events also, and always wonder are they really pint size cups??

Gouging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The metric system?
    I likes my beer sold by the gallon thanks.

The metric system?
    I likes my beer sold by the gallon thanks.

A bit hard to hold in your hand?

I wonder if pint drinkers are a dying breed now. Pubs are moving to food and wine in recent times or a few bottles of beer. Even a country pub I know that would have been pints mainly moved to selling wine by the bottle last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Chivito550 wrote: »
    In much of Australia they drink a ridiculous measure called a schooner (three quarters of a pint) and they are still the worst I've ever seen for alcohol-induced violence. Fights are common place over there, to a much more noticeable extent to here. I've even noticed bouncers getting in on the act!
    The problem over there is the governments/cops are so strict on pubs people are thrown out on the streets after about 3 beers. Then they get cranky because they cant get in anywhere. Crankiness turns into agression sometimes which leads to the fights. Also bouncers here can be just as aggressive as the Aussie ones. Schooners have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Na. The metric system is overrated

Metric system is amazing. The concept is simple and it just makes total sense. The imperial system on the other hand is mad, especially the lengths they take it to in the United States with nonsense like fluid ounces and cups for measuring food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

If it's moved to 1 litre for the same price, sounds reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Metric system is amazing. The concept is simple and it just makes total sense. The imperial system on the other hand is mad, especially the lengths they take it to in the United States with nonsense like fluid ounces and cups for measuring food.

I'll measure everything in the kitchen in grams/kilograms and millilitres/litres, the idea of measuring with cups/fluid ounces infuriates me, I'll describe distance in kilometres, my height and weight in kilograms and metres......but I'll be damned if I'll take my beer at anything less than the designated 4 gills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

saabsaab wrote: »
    A bit hard to hold in your hand?

I wonder if pint drinkers are a dying breed now. Pubs are moving to food and wine in recent times or a few bottles of beer. Even a country pub I know that would have been pints mainly moved to selling wine by the bottle last year!

I would happily drink wine by the pint. Not sure if that qualifies me as a pint drinker.

Advertisement