Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing doors that spin too freely

• 03-02-2021 11:50am
    Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife decided to go round and put WD40 on the doors in the house cause a few of them were squeaking.

The problem now is a few of them have literally no friction at all, the slightest push will have them spinning fully open, banging into wardrobes or tables.

Is there a way I can sort of undo the effect of the WD40 a bit? Or is it just a case of waiting til it wears off a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

awec wrote: »
    My wife decided to go round and put WD40 on the doors in the house cause a few of them were squeaking.

The problem now is a few of them have literally no friction at all, the slightest push will have them spinning fully open, banging into wardrobes or tables.

Is there a way I can sort of undo the effect of the WD40 a bit? Or is it just a case of waiting til it wears off a bit?

Best just to keep wiping them down with tissue every day. It will eventually go back to normal.

Dont try and add anything into the hinges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

Rubber door stops, screwed into the floor at strategic points will solve the banging into furniture problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

WD40 doesn't last long (40 days if you believe their marketing!) and it's anti-friction properties last very little time - WD40 is about the worst thing you can use as a lubricant. Give it a week or two and your doors will probably be squealing like a stuck pig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

It's actually a de-greaser so the opposite to oil. It'll dry in no time and you will have to oil the hinges then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

RandRuns wrote: »
    WD40 doesn't last long (40 days if you believe their marketing!)

Thought myself the "40" referred to the number of iterations of different formulae it took to get it right originally. Perhaps not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Thought myself the "40" referred to the number of iterations of different formulae it took to get it right originally. Perhaps not.

Yeah, I've heard that one too, but apparently WD40 means "Water Dispersant 40 Days"

Though whether that was the reason it was named WD40, or whether it was a marketing department fitting the saying to match the name, I don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Snopes would agree with you.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/wd-40/

Advertisement