Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper old school Dublin pubs thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

Merlin44 wrote: »
    The Hut phibsboro or Toners 2 good ones either side of town

The Hut is a lovely pub and well run. As is McGeoughs or the Bohemian Clancy on the corner opposite Doyle's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

And the dearly departed...

Kennedy's Burgh Quay

Should have had a presentation order on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

boombang wrote: »

Can't imagine the nuns running a decent boozer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and scorfs..
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

Someone mentioned Gaffneys in Fairview. It's a great spot and full of atmosphere after a match in Croker. Good pints but don't do food. The toilets are not great and I'm told the ladies toilets could do with an upgrade. Bar staff are friendly and efficient. The interior hasn't changed in years. Great memories of the place and enjoying a few pints with my recently deceased dad.
    Had a bite to eat and a few drinks in The bald Eagle in Phibsboro shortly before lockdown and enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    Hughes' Bar on Chancery St behind the Four Courts always had great lunches....
    Great lunches? I think you've missed the point of the thread.

mickster29 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Gaffneys in Fairview. It's a great spot and full of atmosphere after a match in Croker..
    But what's it like on a wet Monday morning in January?

(BTW- I agree with you but I've only ever been in it on a big match day so I can't judge it on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

But what's it like on a wet Monday morning in January?

(BTW- I agree with you but I've only ever been in it on a big match day so I can't judge it on that).

It has always had a decent day time trade especially the bar. Just a few yards from Terry Rogers so the horseracing is showing on the TV. Mainly locals and never any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Strawberry hall, witnessed Declan the owner jump the counter to clear a few scally’s who were ruining the atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're toasties and nothing else, as far as I know. Entirely acceptable in my eyes for an old school boozer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I raise you its superior neighbour, O'Gara's.

Great pub.

Preferably no food at all but pubs that serve more than sandwiches/soup can be ruled out imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The Boars Head on Capel St use to be great. Been a few years since I've last been in it though

• Registered Users Posts: 25 d11gunner

mickster29 wrote: »
    Had a bite to eat and a few drinks in The bald Eagle in Phibsboro shortly before lockdown and enjoyed it.

Much as I enjoy a zesty IPA, a game of Jenga and a burger the size of my head, the Bald Eagle has no place whatsoever on this thread. Petition to strike from the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

ShyMets wrote: »
    The Boars Head on Capel St use to be great. Been a few years since I've last been in it though
    I used to go there in the late 90s after working night shifts, was our main fall back option if Slattery's was jammed or if we just weren't in the mood for the chaos :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Still a great spot. Most of the places on Capel Street are in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I raise you its superior neighbour, O'Gara's.

I first moved to Dublin in 2005 and used to alternate between O'Garas, The Glimmer Man and pre-hipster Mulligans.

O'Garas was probably the best but Mulligans was good too, mostly old fellas watching soccer and racing. There were a few indicident with travellers in quick succession and it closed up, to be replaced by its current incarnation shortly after. You never knew what you were going to get in The Glimmer Man.
    I used to love the Oval on Abbey Street, around the same time (05/06) there was a sound fella from Offaly running it. I go in there now and again but its not as good as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

boombang wrote: »

The interior wasn't worth saving after the flood in 08/09.

The pub itself is listed.

Had a run in there with the switch over of the rugby while I was watching after being in there for a few hours and had a load of grub as well.

Never gone back. Assholes.

Of the 3 "older bars" [Slatts, Nealons, Boar] on capel, Nealons is the best of the lot
    You can fling McNeill's into the sun.

I first moved to Dublin in 2005 and used to alternate between O'Garas, The Glimmer Man and pre-hipster Mulligans.

O'Garas was probably the best but Mulligans was good too, mostly old fellas watching soccer and racing. There were a few indicident with travellers in quick succession and it closed up, to be replaced by its current incarnation shortly after. You never knew what you were going to get in The Glimmer Man.
    I used to love the Oval on Abbey Street, around the same time (05/06) there was a sound fella from Offaly running it. I go in there now and again but its not as good as it was.

When I used to live in the batter I used to alternate between Kavanagh's (because I lived at the lane) and O'Gara's.

God I'd love Rocky to be serving up some pints now.

As it stands I'm going to have to head to the spar in Inchicore, which is not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Second Mulligans, -- those large old scarred tables!

Also the Stags Head; although "nowadays" well occupied by posers the interior is pristine, vintage Edwardian, exactly as it always was; and there are plenty of cosy little corners for a quiet (good) pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

babaracus wrote: »
    Can't imagine the nuns running a decent boozer :P

Touché

Autocorrect.

Preservation order.

Was in there one evening and there was one mouthy asshöle there waiting for his mates to turn up. Impatient and bored he tried to chat to those around him, all of whom just gave him the cold shoulder. This continued between increasingly irrate and loud calls to his mates until he finally realised that they had been in Kennedy's on Westland Row for some time. We had copped that much earlier on. He left with good tail between his legs as we all shared unspoken mirth and satisfaction in his departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And the dearly departed...

Kennedy's Burgh Quay
    Sackville Lounge (is it gone gone?)
    Sackville Lounge was there in January 2020 because I had pints there. Good call.
    d11gunner wrote: »
    Much as I enjoy a zesty IPA, a game of Jenga and a burger the size of my head, the Bald Eagle has no place whatsoever on this thread. Petition to strike from the record.

After a look on Google photos I agree 100%

Lads, there's plenty of good pubs in the city. Loads do great food. That's not what this thread is about. If it can win "pub of the year" or Charlie Chawke owns it, it might be a good pub, but doesn't belong here. If you can remember it opening, or reopening under a new name, it doesn't belong here. If it serves food on a slate/chopping board/miniature shopping trolley, it doesn't belong here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is getting too technical now.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Sackville Lounge was there in January 2020 because I had pints there. Good call.

The Sackville had a change of ownership about this time last year ,since the pandemic is gone/under control I'd be expecting it to open.
    Lovely pub.

Although with the conditions you posted earlier it wouldnt make this list !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is getting too technical now.

If in doubt, post it. If they serve drinks like this we can laugh at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Cienciano wrote: »

After a look on Google photos I agree 100%

Lads, there's plenty of good pubs in the city. Loads do great food. That's not what this thread is about. If it can win "pub of the year" or Charlie Chawke owns it, it might be a good pub, but doesn't belong here. If you can remember it opening, or reopening under a new name, it doesn't belong here. If it serves food on a slate/chopping board/miniature shopping trolley, it doesn't belong here.
    As my late father called then, the steering committee, steering trays of overheated slop, looking for somewhere to sit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Those last couple of years of Kennedy's were great. That kind of hippy bloke behind the bar was the most laid back person ever and played good music. It kind of became hipster central almost over night though up until it closed. Its current incarnation is just so lifeless it's unbelievable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Long hall pub on Georges Street.

Gingerman is good too, although may not be classed as old school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Stags Head.

O Neills, Pearce street.

Mulligans

Toners

Smyths Haddington Rd, always a nice pint after work. Actually the only nice thing about work, was the pints in Smyths afterwards :)

Thinking once these vaccinations come through, I am going to go on a day long slow pub crawl through Dublin. Hopefully summer time this year!

Advertisement